JCR-UK  

 

   
 


Rabbinical Profiles(1)
Orthodox

Surnames L

Rabbi Michael Laitner

Rabbi Laitner studied for the rabbinate in Israel. He has a BA in International History and Politics from Leeds University and an LLB from King's College London. He serves as assistant rabbi at Finchley Synagogue, London (2013 to present - January 2021) and from 2013 to 2014 was acting chief minister of the congregation. He is the Director of Education for the United Synagogue and is a qualified solicitor. (Finchley congregation's and the United Synagogue websites.)

Rabbi Benji Landau

Hendon-born Rabbi Landau learnt at kollel in Israel, where he received semicha, and has a degree in business management. He served as assistant communal rabbi of Stanmore & Canons Park Synagogue, London (2011-2014). In 2016, He and with wife, Rebbetzen Aviva, were later appointed associate rabbi and rebbetzen of Yeshurun Synagogue, Edgware, London (2016-c.2020) and he became Director of Mesila UK, a charity that promotes financial coaching and education (in both cases until present - June 2021). (Yeshurun Synagogue website.)

Rev. Bernard Landau
(1918 - 1984)

Czechoslovak-born Rev. B. Landau arrived in England as a refugee from Nazi occupation in 1938 and studied at Gateshead yeshiva. He was appointed minister of Nottingham Hebrew Congregation in 1941 and later served the Stoke-on-Trent Hebrew Congregation (c.1946-1947) before becoming minister of Llandudno Hebrew Congregation, North Wales (1947-1951). (Although there is reference (in the Jewish Year Book 1952) to Rev. Landau serving as minister of Middlesbrough Hebrew Congregation in 1951, this would appear to be an error or a post he never took up.) From 1951, Rev. Landau served the Margate Hebrew Congregation, Kent, for 33 years until his death in 1984, becoming the congregation's longest-serving minister. Rev Landau married a fellow former refugee, Ilse Beaumann, in 1952. One of their children, Robert, was serving as a rabbi in Charleston, West Virginia, USA in 1984. He was the brother of the Rev. Michael A. Landau and of Rev. I. Landau of Leeds. (Jewish Year Book listings and various Jewish Chronicle reports and obituary of 31 August 1984.)

Rev. Michael A. Landau

Rev. M. Landau (m. Irene Glassberg of South Shields), from Czechoslovakia, served as reader of the South Shields Synagogue, Co. Durham (c.1936-c.1946). He was one of the founders of the North-Eastern Area Trades Advisory Council (of which he was Joint Hon. Secretary), chairman of the South Shields Zionist Society, and of the Defence Committee, and was a lecturer with the Workers Education Association He was the brother of the Rev. Bernard Landau and of Rev. I. Landau of Leeds. (Jewish Chronicle report, 22 January 1946 and Jewish Year Book listings.).

Rabbi Dr Samuel Landau

British-born Rabbi S. Landau (m. Shoshana) holds a professional doctorate in clinical psychology and is a practising clinical psychologist in the National Health Service. He studied at the Jerusalem Kollel of Rav Yitzchak Berkovitzand he and Australian-born Rebbetzen (Ma'ayan) Shoshana served as rabbinic couple at Kingston, Surbiton & District Affiliated Synagogue, London (2013-2019) and Barnet & District Affiliated Synagogue, London (April 2019 to present - June 2021). (For additional background, see Rabbi Landau's profile on Barnet Synagogue's website.)

Rev. Samuel Landeshut
(c.1825 - 26 November 1877)

Rev. Landeshut was born in Sifra, Prussia and came to Britain in 1846. He served as reader (chazan) of Bristol Hebrew Congregation (1855-1858) and then moved to Manchester to take up the position of reader of Manchester Old Hebrew Congregation (1858-c.1869) and was instrumental in establishing the Board of Guardians for the Relief of the Jewish Poor in Manchester, of which he became secretary. Moving to London in 1869 to became secretary of the London-based Jewish Board of Guardians, he was appointed as the first minister of the newly formed St John's Wood Synagogue in 1876 but his health was already failing and he died the following year. (Jews in Bristol by J. Samuel, 1997, p.87 and Palgrave Dictionary of Anglo-Jewish History (2011) by W. Rubinstein (ed.) and M.A. Jolles and H. L. Rubinstein (ass. eds.), p.546.)

Rev. David L. Landy
(c.1915 - September 1987)

Liverpool-born Rev. D. Landy was educated at Liverpool Talmud Torah and yeshiva. He held posts as a teacher at the Talmud Torah and as assistant headmaster at Greenbank Drive Synagogue Hebrew Classes, Liverpool. He served as reader of the South Shields Synagogue, northeast England, from about 1945, and then the Ayr Hebrew Congregation, west of Scotland (up to 1950). Rev. Landy was then the minister of the Coventry Hebrew Congregation (1950-1954). He reputedly emigrated to Australia, but in 1960 Rev. Landy was inducted as the minister of the Oudtshoorn congregation, Western Cape, South Africa. He was later a congregational rabbi in Toronto, Canada, where he died. He was father of Keith M. Landy who became President of the Canadian Jewish Congress. (Various Jewish Chronicle reports including 21 April 1950, and Jewish Year Book listings; The Jews of Coventry 1970 by Harry Levine  p.45; Annual Review of Canada 1987.)

Rev. Harry Landy
(c.1919 - 1989)

Llanelli-born Rev. H. Landy studied at the Manchester, Liverpool and Etz Chaim (London) yeshivot. His first post was as minister of the small World War II evacuee community, Biggleswade Hebrew Congregation (1942-1944). He subsequently held posts in London at the Becontree & District Associate Synagogue (1944-c.1945), Harrow District Synagogue, Muswell Hill Synagogue, and New Road Synagogue, Whitechapel. His next post was as minister at the Elm Park Synagogue, Hornchurch, London, (c.1976-c.1985) and his last posting was as minister to the Yavneh Synagogue, South Hackney, London. He was also mashgiach (supervisor) to the London Kashrus Board. He was the brother of Rabbi Maurice Landy. (Jewish Chronicle obituary, 10 February 1989 and Jewish Year Book listings.)

Rabbi Maurice Landy
(31 May 1913 - 12 May 1996)

Llanelli-born Rabbi M. Landy (m.1939 Rachel Factor (d.1964) and m.1966 Eve Levene (d.1997)) studied at Manchester Yeshiva and Liverpool Talmudic College and later received semicha from Jews' College, London in 1947. He served as minister of Russell Street Synagogue, Liverpool, Southport Hebrew Congregation, Aberavon and Port Talbot Synagogue (1936-1942) and St Albans United Synagogue Membership Group (1942-1943). He was then temporary minister to Hendon Synagogue, London (December 1943-c.1946) before being appointed minister of Cricklewood Synagogue, London (1947-1978), serving that congregation for over 30 Years, and was Hon. Principal of North West Jewish Day School from 1951 until his death in 1996. He was the brother of Rev. Harry Landy. (North West Celebrates 60 by Marian Lebor (2006) pp. 41/3, Jewish Year Books Who's Who listings and Palgrave Dictionary of Anglo-Jewish History (2011), p.547.)

Rabbi Benzion (Benzel) Lapian
(1913 - 7 March 2002)

Born in Kelme Lithuania, Rabbi Lapian (m. Lotte in 1941) was from a large rabbinical family, and a son of HaRav Elyahu Lopian ("Reb Elya"). He was educated at Telz yeshiva from age 14. He moved with his family to Britain in 1929, studying at Etz Chaim Yeshiva (where his father was a senior teacher) and returning to Telz where he obtained semicha in 1936. Managing to return to England with war looming, he became rabbi and teacher to a sizeable community of evacuees in Buxton, Derbyshire, known as the Buxton Hebrew Congregation until about 1945. He later served as minister of the Woolwich and Plumstead Synagogue, Southeast London (1945-1947). He was next appointed director of education to the Sheffield community, then with some 150 children, where he introduced a pioneering Bat Mitzvah ceremony for girls and Sephardi-Israeli pronunciation of Hebrew, and for a time was acting rabbi to the Sheffield Hebrew Congregation. He subsequently served as minister of Ohel Shem Synagogue, Willesden, London (mid 1950s to c.1964) and Yeshurun Synagogue, Edgware, London (c.1965-c.1970). He then moved to Israel and later became minister of the Ohel Leah Synagogue, Hong Kong (1990-1993). He died in Netanya, Israel. He was uncle to Dayan Gershon Lopian (Jewish Chronicle obituary 19 April 2002, Jewish Year Book listings and information provided by family member.)

Rabbi Jeremy Lawrence

Rabbi Lawrence (m. Mandy), holds an MA (Hons) in Jurisprudence from St Catherine’s College, Oxford University and attended Yeshivath Knesseth Beth Eliezer and Yeshivat Hamivtar in Jerusalem, where he received semicha. He served as Senior Rabbi of the Auckland Hebrew Congregation (1997-2004) and as chief minister of The Great Synagogue, Sydney (2005-2014) before his appointment as senior rabbi of Finchley Synagogue, London (2014 to present - June 2021). (See online Biography.)

Rev. J (or L.) Lazarus

Rev. Lazarus conducted the first Jewish wedding ceremony in Middlesbrough. ("The Jewish Communities of North-East England" by L. Olsover, 1980)

Rev. Steven Leas
(b. 1949)

Cape Town born Cantor Leas officiated as chazan of the Linksfield-Senderwood Hebrew Congregation, Johannesburg. He has served as chazan (cantor) of Central Synagogue, London from about 2003 until present - June 2021. He is the principal soloist of the London Jewish Male Choir. (Congregation's website.)

Rabbi Zalman Lent

Manchester-raised Rabbi Lent (m. Rifky) has, since 2000, served in Dublin where he was initially youth minister at Terenure Hebrew Congregation and subsequently the only resident rabbi to serve the Dublin Hebrew Congregation since the merger of the Adelaide Road and Terenure synagogues which was finalised in 2004. He is also the only resident rabbi in the Irish Republic generally, where the number of Jews in recent years has been boosted by the arrival of hi-tech workers and their families from Israel, USA and elsewhere. He and Rebbetzen Rifky are Directors of Chabad-Lubavitch of Ireland. He is the brother of Rabbi Mendy Lent of Nottingham Chabad. (Internet research and interview with Rabbi Lent.)

Rabbi Dr. Sidney Benzion Leperer
(4 August 1922 - 5 December 1995)

London-born Rabbi Leperer, BA, PhD, who attended the University of London, obtained his doctorate in 1977. He studied at Gateshead Yeshiva, Yeshiva Etz Chaim and Jews' College. London and was granted semicha in 1956. He served as minister of Walthamstow and Leyton Synagogue, London, Hampstead Garden Suburb Synagogue, London and North Finchley and Woodside Park District Synagogue, London (1956-1960). He then taught at Carmel College (1961-1969), returning to the pulpit to become minister of Hove Hebrew Congregation (1970-1974), before returning to teaching as a lecturer at Jews' College. (Palgrave Dictionary of Anglo-Jewish History (2011), p.565 and Jewish Year Book listings)

Rabbi Barry Lerer

USA-born Rabbi Lerer (m. Naomi), who has a bachelors degree in psychology and a masters in Jewish education, studied at Yeshivat Hakotel in Jerusalem and was awarded semicha in 2000 from Jews' College, London. He and Rebbetzen Naomi served as rabbinic couple at Watford & District Synagogue, London (2006-2019), Barnet & District Affiliated Synagogue, London (2006-2019) and Central Synagogue, London (February 2019 to present - June 2021). (Includes information personally provided by Rabbi Lerer. For additional background, see Rabbi Lerer's profile on Central Synagogue's website.)

Rabbi Harold Lerner
(14 June 1925 - 11 April 1998)

Rev. (later Rabbi) Lerner (m. Yvette), son of the Rev. Simon Lerner of Liverpool, was educated at Liverpool yeshiva, where he was a teacher. He was assistant minister at the Great Synagogue, Grove Street, Liverpool, then minister of the Bristol Hebrew Congregation (1950-1955), Norwich Hebrew Congregation (1955-1959) and at Stockport Hebrew Congregation, then in Cheshire, (1959-1961). He then emigrated to Canada where he served congregations at Guelph, Ontario and Bet Am Congregation, Toronto. He died at Bradenton, Florida. (Jews in Bristol by J. Samuel, 1997 Jewish Chronicle profile 27 March 1959 and reports, Jewish Year Book listings and internet research.)

Rev. Jacob Lesser
(22 October 1833 - 22 March 1906)

Rev. Lessor (m. Maria) was for some years a chorister at the Great Synagogue, Duke's Place, London, and later at the Western Synagogue, St. Alban's Place, London where he subsequently became second reader, from 1872 until 1874. In the following year, he was appointed the chazan of the Dalston Synagogue, London (1875-1906), the first person to hold such position in the then recently-established congregation. In 1900, he was presented with a testimonial on the twenty-fifth anniversary of his appointment. According to his Jewish Chronicle obituary: "He did not pretend to be an Ascher nor a Hast; but he gave his congregants good old Chazonus from a good and sympathetic voice." Rev. Lesser was father-in-law of the Rev. M. Rosenbaum, minister of the Borough Synagogue, London. (Jewish Chronicle obituaries, 23 and 30 June 1906. and The Dalston Synagogue - An Historical Sketch by Rev. D. Wasserzug, 1910.)

Rabbi Menachem Lester

Rev. (later Rabbi) Lester, MA, MSC served as chazan (reader) of Hackney & East London Synagogue (c.1990-c.1994). He later served as minister of Highams Park and Chingford Synagogue, northeast London (c.1996-c.2005), obtaining semicha in about 2003, and South London Synagogue (c.2007-c.2011). He subsequently moved to Israel. (Jewish Year Book listings.)

Rev. A.M. Lev

Rev. Lev served as chazan (cantor) of Golders Green Beth Hamedrash ("Munk's Shul"), London (c.1973-c.1996). (Jewish Year Book listings.)

Rev. H. Lev

Rev. Lev served as reader (chazan) of Bristol Hebrew Congregation (c.1932-c.1937). (Jewish Year Book listings.)

Rabbi Meir Lev
(b. c. 1948)

Birmingham-born, Manchester-raised, Rev. (later Rabbi) Lev (m. Carol) started singing as a boy chorister at the Higher Crumpsall Hebrew Congregation, Manchester, studied at the Gateshead yeshivah, and at 20, was appointed chazan at the New Synagogue, Birmingham, where he spent four years and studied at the Birmingham College of Music. In 1972 he became reader at the Great Synagogue, Belgrave Street, Leeds. In 1973 Rev. Lev returned to Birmingham, where he served the Birmingham Central Synagogue as full time chazan for about ten years before going part time and starting a business career. After a total of 23 years at Central Synagogue he left Birmingham in 1996 to make aliyah but later returned to the UK. He was chazan and second minister to Bournemouth Hebrew Congregation (2005-2008). In 2013 he obtained semicha from the London Montefiore rabbinic programme, aged 66. Rabbi Lev served Sutton & District Synagogue (2010-2015) and then returned to Israel. (Jewish Chronicle profile 21 June 1996 and various other reports; Jewish Year Book listings.)

Rabbi Marc Doron Levene

British-born Rabbi Levene (m. Lisa), who was awarded a BA (Hons) from Leeds Metropolitan University, studied at Darche Noam Yeshiva (Shapell's) in Israel. He served as assistant rabbi at Hampstead Garden Suburb Synagogue, London (c.2011-2017) and then as minister of Belmont Synagogue, London (2017 to present - May 2020). (Belmont Congregation's website.)

Rabbi Joseph Lever

Rabbi J. Lever served as minister and chazan of the Hull Western Synagogue (c.1985-c.1992) and principal of the Talmud Torah. In 1989 he conducted the first combined service of the Hull Old and Western synagogues following the sale of the Old Hebrew Congregation's synagogue (but prior to a formal merger of the two congregations). Rabbi Lever left briefly for Israel in 1992. Following his return to the UK, he became rabbi of the United Synagogue (Mead Hill Shul), north Manchester, (1998 to at least 2017). (Various Jewish Chronicle reports, Jewish Year Book listings)

Rev. Aubrey Levin
(b. c.1948)

Manchester-born Rev. Levin attended the Royal College of Music and Yeshiva in Manchester. In 1967 he was appointed full-time reader of the Southport Hebrew Congregation, Lancashire at the age of just 19. Two years later he was appointed to the Great Central Synagogue, Glasgow, and then in 1973 to the New Synagogue, Stamford Hill, London. He was the grandson of Rabbi H. Levin of the Manchester Bet Din. (Jewish Chronicle report, 14 September 1973.)

Rev. Elias Bere Levin
(c.1864 - 4 May 1936)

Rev. E. Levin, a native of Telz, Lithuania, studied at the Yeshivot of Telz, Zader and Slonim and received semicha in his teens. He initially served as a rabbi in Vilna. He settled in Limerick in 1882 and served as a minister and reader of the Limerick Synagogue until 1911. He was the minister of the congregation and chaired an ad hoc committee to defend the Limerick Jewish community during the infamous boycott of Limerick's Jews (1904 to 1906) and was described by a colleague as having "played both a very heroic and very statesmanlike role." The boycott caused economic devastation to the Jewish community and some two thirds of them were forced to abandon the town. He later moved to Leeds where he was appointed rabbi and reader of the Central Synagogue and was later second reader and shochet of Great Synagogue, Belgrave Street, serving such congregation for some 23 years. He was a qualified sofer and was working on a sefer torah until a week or so before he died. ("The Jews of Ireland" by L. Hyman, pp.201-217 and 346; Jewish Chronicle obituary 8 May 1936; "Limerick Boycott 1904 - Anti Semitism in Ireland" by Prof Dermot Keogh.)

Rabbi Harris (Zvi Hirsch) Levin
(1871 - 31 August 1933)

Rabbi Levin (also spelled Levien) was born in Goniądz, Podlaskie Voivodeship, Poland (now Belarus) (2nd m. to Sarah). One of his first positions after arriving in the UK was to serve the immigrant Jews living in North Belfast, where he was living in 1891, and which was probably a post independent of the Belfast Hebrew Congregation. In 1896 he was in Cork, Ireland and by 1897 he had settled in Manchester. He served as rabbi of the Chaye Adam Synagogue, Manchester (c.1909-c.1918) and at Rydal Mount Synagogue, Cheetham, Manchester (c.1918-1933). Rabbi Levin was a long-serving member of the Manchester Bet Din, rabbi to the Shechita Board and was hon. superintendent of the Talmud Torah in Manchester. He was the author of a rabbinic work, Sefer Zoro, and also a volume of sermons and addresses in English. Following his death in Southport while on holiday, thousands are said to have attended his funeral. He was the grandfather of Rev. Aubrey Levin. (Jewish Chronicle obituary 8 September 1933 and various tributes.)

Rev Walter Levin
(26 November 1872 - 18 September 1943)

Born in Portsea, Hampshire, the son of Rabbi Lewis Levin, Rev Levin (m. Rose Forewood) was minister of the North-West London Synagogue, Caversham Road, Kentish Town. During World War I, he was Jewish chaplain to the Forces in Italy, Egypt and Palestine. After the war, he served for over 25 years years at the North London Synagogue, Lofting Road, Islington, and then as minister (1930-1938) and secretary (1935-1938) of Bayswater Synagogue, west London. He was also hon. president of the Becontree & District Associate Synagogue, northeast London, during the 1930s. He is buried at Willesden cemetery. (Various Jewish Chronicle reports; Jewish Year Book listings; and Reference to Rev. Levin in Roth's Short History of the Bayswater Synagogue.)

Rabbi Ephraim Levine

London-born Rabbi Levine (m. Rochel) was educated at Rabbinical College of America and at Kfar Chabad in Israel where he received semicha in about 1997. He served as minister at West Ham and Upton Park Synagogue, London (1999-2003) and Watford & District Synagogue (2006-2019). (Profile formerly on the Watford congregation's website; and LinkedIn profile.)

Rev. A. Levinson
(d. July 1955)

Rev. Levinson (m. Sara, daughter of Rev. H. Wasserzug, in 1893) served as minister of Stroud Synagogue, Gloucestershire (1893-1894) and is believed to be the same Rev. A. Levinson who served at Bristol Hebrew Congregation (1894-1899). For the next 31 years Rev. Levinson served the Middle Street Synagogue, Brighton, first as second reader and teacher and then as chazan. He retired in 1930 but continued to lead additional services on the festivals for many years. He was president of Brighton and Hove Zionist Society and provincial grand chaplain of Sussex freemasons. His brother, Rev. I. Levinson, was senior Jewish chaplain to South African forces during World War II. (Jewish Chronicle tribute 22 July 1955 and various reports; Jews in Bristol by J. Samuel, 1997.)

Rev. Abraham Levinson
(1877 - June 1949)

Born in Kutno, Poland, Rev. Levinson (m. (1) 1900 Rachel Hulman - d.1912; (2) 1913 Gertie Hulman - d. 1918; (3) 1919 Rebecca Kerbel - d.1957) was the nephew of chazan and scholar, Rev. Moshe Aaron Kibel, of Grodzish. He graduated from the Russian High State School in Lodz and then studied at the Berlin Conservatoire of Music. He came to England in 1898 and was appointed secretary and choirmaster to the New Synagogue, Manchester. Rev. Levinson served in a ministerial capacity at Walthamstow and Leyton Synagogue, northeast London, and then as minister and reader of Bangor Hebrew Congregation, north Wales (1907-1911). In 1911, he was appointed chazan and shochet to the Edinburgh Hebrew Congregation, Graham Street and later Salisbury Road, where he served for over 25 years, and retired owing to ill-health in 1937. He is buried at Piershill cemetery. Rev Levinson's life featured in a South African edition of the programme "Who Do You Think You Are?", as the great grandfather of political cartoonist, Jonathan Shapiro. (Jewish Year Book listings; Jewish Chronicle obituary 24 June 1949, article by Harvey Kaplan in The Edinburgh Star, September 2009, pp. 5/6, available online.)

Rev. Dan Levy (formerly Fleishman)

Rev. Lev y (m. Sharon) served as part-time minister of Potters Bar and District Affiliated Synagogue, Hertfordshire (1996-c.2000) and Enfield and Winchmore Hill Synagogue (c.2000-c.2001), Rev. Levy was a presenter on Spectrum Radio and a news presenter on the commercial radio station, News Direct. (Jewish Chronicle report 8 October 1999; and Jewish Year Book listings.)

Rev. Elkan Levy

Preston-born Rev. Levy, BA (Hons) (m. Celia Fisher, the daughter of Dayan Michoel Fisher), a practicing solicitor, held several senior communal positions, including Chairman of the United Synagogue Burial Society (1992-1996), President of the United Synagogue and Chairman of the Chief Rabbinate Council (1996-1999), Director of the Office of Small Communities (2004-2010) and Editor of the Jewish Year Book (2010-2015). He also acted as a minister, generally on an interim basis, for certain United Synagogue congregations, including Belmont & District Affiliated Synagogue, London (1969-1973 and 1991-1992) and Radlett United Synagogue, Hertfordshire (2005 and 2010-2011). (Jewish Year Book Who's Who listing.)

Rabbi Emmanuel Levy
(b. 1948)

Manchester-born Rabbi Levy (m. Myriam, a graduate of Gateshead seminary) studied at Gateshead yeshiva for six years and obtained semicha there in 1972. In 1974 he was appointed rabbi of Langside Hebrew Congregation in Glasgow, where he and his wife set up a kindergarten and he helped establish a kolel. He was minister of Southend and Westcliff Hebrew Congregation (1980-1988) and has, for over twenty years, served as minister of Palmers Green and Southgate Synagogue (PGSS) (1988 to present - February 2021). Rabbi Levy founded and served as the first chairman of the Rabbinical Council of the Provinces and has the educational portfolio in the Chief Rabbi's cabinet (PGSS's website profile)

Rabbi Ephraim Moses Levy

Rev. E.M. Levy MA, LLB attended Jews' College, London, Oxford University and London University. During World War I he served as a Jewish chaplain to the forces in France and Italy, and subsequently held the position of chaplain to the Aldershot Command. He served as second reader of Bayswater Synagogue, London (c.1918-c.1919) and in 1924 was appointed minister to the Durban Hebrew Congregation, South Africa. He obtained rabbinical qualifications from senior rabbis in Eastern Europe and the UK. Rabbi Levy was later principal minister of the Great Synagogue, Sidney, Australia. He practiced law in Canada, living in Vancouver, British Columbia in 1944. He was rabbi of the Wellington community in New Zealand from 1956 - a case between him and the congregation regarding the non-renewal of his contract of employment was heard by the country's supreme court in 1959. (Various Jewish Chronicle reports; Jewish Year Book listings.)

Rabbi H. J. Levy

London-born Rev. Levy held posts in the Portsmouth Hebrew Congregation and in Glasgow and for a period during the war he was responsible for the religious education of Jewish evacuee children in South Hampshire and the Isle of Wight. He served as minister of the Derby Hebrew Congregation (c.1952-1959) and is believed to be the last resident minister for that community. Rev. Levy was subsequently appointed minister of the St Albans Affiliated Synagogue, Hertfordshire (1959-c.1962), obtaining semicha in 1960. He later left the ministry. (Jewish Year Book listings, Jewish Chronicle profile 18 May 1959 and various reports.)

Rev. H. P. Levy

Rev. H.P. Levy served the Middlesbrough Hebrew Congregation in the 1880s. He spoke at the opening of the first Jewish cemetery there in 1885. The Jewish Provincial Ministers' Fund provided grants enabling Rev. Levy to preach occasionally and provide instruction for the Darlington and Stockton congregations. He visited Darlington 6 September to 6 December 1886 and Stockton and Darlington 6 December 1886 to 6 December 1887. (Jewish Chronicle report, 1 July 1887 page 16; Press reports of Stockton; "The Jewish Communities of North East England" by L. Olsover, 1980.)

Rev. I. A. Levy

Rev. Levy served as the first minister of the Hull Western Synagogue from about 1903 until about 1915. (Jewish Year Book listings)

Rev. Dr. Isaac (Harry) Levy, OBE
(14 September 1910 - 31 March 2005)

London-born Rev. Levy, OBE, PhD, TD, (m. Tonie Landau) was educated at Yeshiva Etz Chaim, Jews' College, London, and University College London (where he earned a B.A. in 1932). Subsequently, in 1956, he obtained his PhD in Rabbinical History at the School of Oriental and African Studies, University of London. He served as minister of Hampstead Garden Suburb Synagogue, London (1936-38) and Bayswater Synagogue, London (1938-1939) He then volunteered for service in British armed forces, becoming Senior Jewish Chaplain (a post he held until 1966). Returning to ministerial life, he was appointed minister of Hampstead Synagogue, London (1946-1965). He was awarded an OBE in 1953. Rabbi Levy was national vice president of both AJEX and the Council of Christians and Jews. He left the ministry to become full-time director of JNF in the UK (1965-1977). Author of "Now I Can Tell — Middle East Memories" about his experiences as Middle East chaplain, and "Witness to Evil — Bergen Belsen 1945". (Obituary in The Guardian, 18 May 2005, "The Hampstead Synagogue 1862-1967" by Raymond Apple, 1967 and Palgrave Dictionary of Anglo-Jewish History (2011), pp.579/580.)

Rev. J. Levy

Rev. J. Levy was reader at Middlesbrough Hebrew Congregation from about 1881 to 1882. (Jewish Chronicle reports.)

Rev. Joseph Leonard Levy, BA, DD
(24 November 1865 - 26 April 1917)

London-born Rev. J.L. Levy (m. Henrietta Platnauer, 1889) studied at Jews' College, London and at University College, London, Bristol University and, later, the Western University of Pennsylvania. He served as a minister of Bristol Hebrew Congregation (1885-1889) before leaving for the United States, where he served B'nei Israel Congregation, Sacramento, Philadelphia (1893-1901) and Rodeph Shalom Congregation, Pittsburg (from 1901 until his death in 1917). (Jews in Bristol by J. Samuel, 1997, pp.93/4; Jewish Chronicle tribute 11 May 1917.)

Rev. Montague Levy
(b. c.1925)

London-born Rev. Levy was educated at Etz Chaim Yeshiva, London and Gateshead Talmudic College and also attended the Guildhall School of Music in London. He held posts at Leyton and Walthamstow New Federated Synagogue, Woolwich and Plumstead Synagogue and Bermondsey and Rotherhithe Synagogue (all in London) and at Northampton Hebrew Congregation. In the early 1950s he served as "Minister to the Jewish communities" in the British zone of Germany, based at Cologne. Subsequently he served as minister to the Llandudno Hebrew Congregation, North Wales (c.1952-c.1953). (Jewish Chronicle report 25 April 1952 and Jewish Year Book listings.)

Rev. Moses Levy

Moses Levy was minister of Bristol Hebrew Congregation (1798-1803). (Jews in Bristol by J. Samuel, 1997.)

Rabbi Natan Levy

US-born Rabbi Levy holds an MA in Jewish studies from King’s College, London, and received semicha from Rabbi Brovender and Rabbi Riskin in 2006. He was environmental liaison to the Chief Rabbi, Lord Sacks, interfaith consultant to the Board of Deputies of British Jews, and Jewish university chaplain for the West of England, based at Bristol University. He and his (now former) wife, rebbetzen Ariella, served as rabbinic couple (part-time) at Shenley United Synagogue (2007-2010). He is the Head of Operations for Faiths Forum for London. (Congregation's website and on-line profile.)

Rev. Naphtali Levy
(1836 (or 1840) - 1894)

Rev. Levy was born in Kolo (now in Poland), son of Rabbi Pinchas Wolf Levy, dayan in Kolo, so came to England in 1874 and was naturalised as a British citizen in 1885. He had been a minister and shochet in London and moved to Southport, Lancashire, for health reasons, where he acted as a shochet (as well as being a boot manufacturer) and helped to found the Southport Hebrew Congregation in 1893. He was a a respected rabbinical scholar and became the congregation's first treasurer. He died in Southport and is buried in West Ham Cemetery, London. ("Philanthropy, Consensus and Broiges...a history of the Southport Jewish Community" by John Cowell, p.600; History on the congregation's website.)

Rabbi Samuel Levy

Rabbi Levy was the first rabbi of the Creechurch Street (Spanish & Portuguese) Synagogue (c.1656), City of London, the first synagogue to be established in England following the resettlement of Jews. (British Chief Rabbis 1664-2006 by Derek Taylor, 2007, p.21.)

Rev. Solomon Levy

Solomon Levy served as reader (or possibly minister) of Bristol Hebrew Congregation (1829-1830). (Jews in Bristol by J. Samuel, 1997.)

Rabbi Mendel Lew

Manchester-born Rabbi Lew (m. Rivky) studied at the Lubavitch Yeshiva in Tsfat, Israel and Hamline University, St Paul, MN and was awarded semicha in 1987. He served as minister of St Annes Hebrew Congregation, Lancashire (1992-1996), Southend & Westcliff Hebrew Congregation (1996-2006) and Stanmore and Canons Park Synagogue, London (2006 to present - May 2021). (LinkedIn account and "Stanmore Ahead of the Game" - article from "Jewish Weekly" 18 May 2017.)

Rev. Abraham Isaac Lewin
(c.1892 - 1960)

Rev. Lewin served as the first and founding minister of Enfield and Winchmore Hill District Hebrew Congregation, London (c.1950-c.1961), having the title hon. minister from about 1953, as he did not seek remuneration for his services. The three-storey house that was to become the synagogue in 1949 was the private home of Rev. Lewin since the 1930s. When the Kindertransport began he and his wife housed more than 20 youngsters. Shortly following his death in 1960 the congregation bought the house. His name is perpetuated by the Abraham Lewin Room in the synagogue and in 1986 a B'nai Brith Lodge in Enfield was also named in his honour. (Jewish Chronicle obituary 12 August 1960, letter 12 July 2019; Jewish Year Book listings; Jewish News report.)

Rabbi Alan Lewis

Rabbi Lewis (m. Miriam - an educator in Gateshead, Jerusalem and London) was born and brought up in Manchester and gained semicha at the Mir Yeshiva in Jerusalem. His first post was as minister of Bournemouth Hebrew Congregation (1988-1989). He then served as minister at Wanstead & Woodford Synagogue, London (1990-2006) and Yeshurun Synagogue, Edgware, London (2006 until present - May 2021). He also serves as the Registrar of the Federation Bet Din. (Jewish Year Book listings; Jewish Chronicle reports; and Federation of Synagogues website.)

John Leyton
see Jonah Podhorzer

Dayan Yisroel Yaakov Lichtenstein

Dayan Lichtenstein grew up in Boston, Massachusetts and studied at a number of yeshivot in the United States and Israel before moving to Britain. He has served as Rosh Beis Din of the Federation of Synagogues and rav of the Hendon Beis Hamedrash, London from 1988 to present (July 2020). (Federation of Synagogues website.)

Rabbi Dr. Isaac Emil Lichtigfeld
(1894 - 1967)

Rabbi Lichtigfeld was born in Burstyn, Galicia, and his family having moved to Germany he served in the German army during World War I. He practised as a lawyer in Dusseldorf and sought refuge in Britain in about 1933. Having studied at Jews' College he served as minister of Cricklewood Synagogue, London (1939-c.1946). After the war, the Chief Rabbi's Religious Emergency Council sent him to the British Zone in occupied Germany to investigate the needs of Jewish refugees and he made a similar investigation about Jewish detainees in Cyprus. He later served as rabbi in Frankfurt and Land Rabbi of Hessen (1954-1967). He was chair of the Conference of Rabbis in Germany and was president of Germany's United Jewish Appeal. (The Lost Synagogues of London by P. Renton, 2000, p 153; and Jewish Chronicle obituary 5 January 1968.)

Rabbi Elchonon Moshe Lieberman

Rabbi Lieberman serves as rabbi of the Nefesh Hatorah congregation, Edgware, London (c.2019 until present - May 2021). (Uniquely Edgware website.)

Rabbi Yehudah Boruch Lieberman

Rabbi Lieberman served as rabbi of the Kollel Beis Aharon (Ohel Avrohom Synagogue), Edgware, London from at least 2015 (and probably much earlier) until about 2019. (Uniquely Edgware website.)

Rabbi Zvi Hirsh Lieberman
(b. 1960)

Chicago-born Rabbi Liberman (m. Feigy) had studied at yeshivot in Philadelphia, Israel, New York and Montreal, where he received his rabbinic semicha. He moved to Britain in 1985 and served as minister of Kingston, Surbiton & District Affiliated Synagogue, London, (1985-1990) before becoming rav of Edgware Adath Yisroel Congregation, London (1990 to present - May 2021). (Profile on Edgware Adath Yisroel Congregation's website; Jewish Chronicle report of 6 April 1990.)

Rabbi Naftali Lifschitz

Gateshead-born Rabbi Lifschitz studied at Jerusalem’s Mir Yeshivah and at Gateshead Yeshiva, where he received rabbinical semicha. He is a qualified therapist and has served as part-time minister at the Hull Hebrew Congregation (2012-2019) and Glasgow's Newton Mearns Synagogue (2019 to present - April 2020). (Jewish Chronicle reports, on-line professional profile and Newton Mearns website.)

Rev. A. Light

Rev. Light served as the first minister of the Freckleton Street Hebrew Congregation, Blackburn (about 1904), a breakaway congregation from the Blackburn Hebrew Congregation. ("From Poland To Paradise Lane and Other Journeys" - a history of the Jewish community of Blackburn, by Hilary Thomas, 2018; Jewish Chronicle report.)

Rev. Arnold Linden
(c.1927 - October 1956)

Rev. Linden (m. Anne) and his father were the only family members to survive the Holocaust. He studied chazanut at Jews' College, London and became reader at North Finchley and Woodside Park District Synagogue, London (1954-1956). He also taught at the Hebrew classes at Mile End and Bow District Synagogue. Rev Linden, aged 27, was tragically killed in a road traffic accident while returning from a funeral at Rainham cemetery. (Jewish Year Book listing, Jewish Chronicle obituary 2 November 1956 and reports.)

Rev. Jacob Lindiner
(b. c.1826)

Hungarian-born Rev. Lindiner (aka Linder) was reader (chazan) of Bristol Hebrew Congregation (1851-1854). (Jews in Bristol by J. Samuel, 1997, p.87.)

Rev. Benjamin Lipkin
(1860 - 20 April 1943)

Born in Vitebsk (today in Belarus), Rev. Lipkin (m. Rebecca Dembo) served as minister of the South Shields Synagogue, Co. Durham, from about 1890 until about 1900. In 1903 he conducted High Holyday services at the Waterloo Synagogue, Manchester. He became minister at Boksburg, South Africa, around 1911 and later served in Johannesburg. Author of Meditations on Many Subjects, published in Johannesburg in 1943, the year that he died. ("The Jewish Communities of North-East England" by Lewis Olsover (1980), pp.256-260, Jewish Chronicle various reports, Jewish Year Book listings and internet research.)

Rabbi David Lister, MA

Manchester-born Rabbi Lister (m. Rachie) studied for rabbinical semicha in Sha'arei Torah Yeshiva in Manchester and Mir Yeshiva in Jerusalem and received his MA in Jewish Education from the University of London. He served as minister of Reading Hebrew Congregation (1997-2000), Muswell Hill Synagogue, London (2000-2007) and Edgware United Synagogue, London (2008 to present - May 2021). (Rabbi Lister's profile on Edgware Synagogue's website.)

Rev. I. Litovitz

Rev. I. (or possibly J.) Litovitz served as minister of the South Shields Synagogue, Co. Durham, from about 1903 until about 1910, although he is believed to have been minister of the rival South Shields New Hebrew Congregation during the earlier part of this period, before the two congregations were reconciled. ("The Jewish Communities of North-East England" by Lewis Olsover (1980), pp.256-260, Jewish Chronicle report and Jewish Year Book listings.)

Rev. Asher Littenberg
(c.1877 - November 1966)

Rev. Littenberg, born in the district of Karlish in Poland, (m. Clara Milly Isaacs in 1902), was the son of Rev. Myer Hersh Littenberg of Slupca, Poland. He was appointed chazan at Povitz before his 17th birthday, arriving in the UK aged about 18. His first known post in Britain was as reader and later secretary of the Derby Hebrew Congregation (c.1899-c.1902), being the first known minister for that congregation. For almost a decade he served the Bradford Hebrew Congregation, where he was also Hon Investigator of the Jewish Benevolent Society (investigating claims of hardship by Jews arriving in or travelling through Bradford). From 1912 Rev Littenberg's career was in London, where initially he was appointed second reader at the Great Synagogue, Dukes Place, and he then served as second reader of Bayswater Synagogue, London (c.1919-c.1923). In 1927 he was elected reader at Golders Green Synagogue, north west London. In both Bradford and Golders Green he was a colleague to Rev. I. Livingstone. He retired in 1934. (Jewish Year Book listings and Jewish Chronicle obituary 2 December 1966, profile 7 January 1927, and various reports.)

Rabbi James Littman
(d. 6 March 1937)

Rev. (later Rabbi) Littman served as minister of Aberdeen Hebrew Congregation (1893-c.1896) and briefly Waterford Hebrew Congregation, Ireland (1890s). He came to London by the late 1890s and worked as a shochet for the Board of Shechita. On retirement he became active in the Orthodox community in South Hackney, giving shiurim and holding office in the Chevra Tehillim and Bikur Cholim societies. (Scottish Jewish Archives Centre and Jewish Chronicle obituary 12 March 1937.)

Rev. Sam Lockner

Sam Lockner acted as minister of Bristol Hebrew Congregation (1958-1959). (Information provided by the congregation.)

Dayan Gershon Lopian
(1936 - 30 January 2014)

Portsmouth-born Dayan Lapian (m. Judy Saberski) was the eldest son of Rav Leib Lopian, rosh yeshiva of the Gateshead Yeshiva, and a grandson of HaRav Elyahu Lopian ("Reb Elya"). Dayan Lopian studied at Gatehead Yeshiva, at Kfar Chassidim, Israel (under his grandfather), at the Chevron Yeshiva, Jerusalem and at the Sunderland Kollel; and received semicha from Rav Shlomo Zalman Auerbach, as well as Rav Chanoich Henach Padwa and Rav Moshe Feinstein. He served as minister of Yeshurun Synagogue, Edgware, London from 1976 until his retirement in 2006 and remained rav emeritus of the congregation until his death. (Jewish Year Book listings and obituary in Hamodia.)

Rev. J.D. Lorraine

London born Rev Lorraine (m. Sandra) was an architecture student and laboratory technician in the United States before attending Jews' College, London. Prior to 1969 Rev. Lorraine was assistant chaplain to Rev Malcolm Weisman as visiting minister for the small communities and universities. He served as minister of Barking & Becontree Affiliated Synagogue, London (1969-1973) and at Portsmouth Hebrew Congregation (1973-c.1975). He was subsequently minister of Loughton Synagogue, northeast London, for over 30 years, from about 1976 until retiring at the end of March 2007, when he was appointed emeritus minister. Later in 2007 he was engaged on a part-time interim basis at the Brighton and Hove Hebrew Congregation. (Jewish Year Book listings; and Jewish Chronicle various reports.)

Rev. Isidore Lubetzki

Rev. Lubetzki (also spelled Lubetsky) served as the last minister of Stroud Synagogue, Gloucestershire (c.1905-c.1907) and as reader, shochet and teacher to the Chester Hebrew Congregation (1907-c.1908). (Jewish Year Book listing and Jewish Chronicle reports.)

Rev. Abraham Lubin
(b. 1937)

London-born Rev. Lubin (m. Sandy) spent part of his childhood in British Mandate Palestine. He returned to the UK and studied at Etz Chaim yeshiva and Jews' College, London, where he trained as a chazan. He also received the Associate of the London College of Music Diploma (A.L.C.M.). In 1955 a Rev A Lubin, formerly of Leeds, was first reader of the South Broughton Synagogue, Manchester (but it is unclear whether this is the same person). At seventeen Rev Lubin was chazan at the Jubilee Street Zionist Synagogue in London, and at nineteen he became chazan at Bayswater Synagogue, London where he served for about eight months (1957-c.1958). Rev Lubin emigrated to the United States in 1958, and served for ten years with the Beth Abraham Synagogue in Dayton, Ohio, then at Congregation Rodfei Zedek and Anshe Amet Synagogue in Chicago and from 1990 until his retirement in 2011 at Congregation Beth El in Bethesda, Maryland. He obtained further qualifications in music, edited the Journal of Synagogue music, and was President of the Conservative Cantors Assembly in the USA (1995-1997). (Jewish Year Book listing; Jewish Chronicle reports 9 September 1955 and 20 April 1962; internet research. Video clip in which Rev Lubin explains his role as cantor.)

Rev. M. Lubner
(1885- 1930)

Rev. Lubner (who married the daughter of Rev. J. Miller of the East End of London) served at Swansea Hebrew Congregation for 17 years and then from 1922 he was chazan and teacher at Garnethill Synagogue, Glasgow. He then served as minister and reader at Walford Road Synagogue, Stoke Newington, London (1924-1930) until his sudden death, aged 45. He was an active supporter of the Zionist movement. (Jewish Chronicle obituaries and tributes 21 March and 4 April 1930, and various reports.)

Rabbi Jacob David Lurie
(1869 - 13 April 1957)

Born in the yeshiva town of Slabodka, Poland (today a neighbourhood in Kaunas Lithuania), where his father was a noted Talmudist, Rabbi Lurie (m. Ita Beila) was appointed Rosh Yeshiva in Bialystock when he was a young man. He came to Britain in 1907, serving as a rabbi in Hull in 1907, where he held classes for adults in all branches of Biblical and Talmudical knowledge. He worked among Jewish transmigrants who passed through Hull, and in 1908 he was appointed to supervise the newly opened kosher kitchen at the railway station to assist such transmigrants. Although he served as the Rav of the Hull Beth Hamedrash (c.1912-1916), he was held in high esteem throughout the Hull community. He gave farewell sermons in at least two of Hull's synagogue on his departure in 1916 to take up the appoinment as Rav at the new Machzikei Hadas Synagogue, Glasgow. In about 1923 (on the closure of Machzikei Hadas) he was appointed Rav of Glasgow's Chevra Kadisha Synagogue, where he served until his death in 1957. Rabbi Lurie was Av Beth Din in Glasgow for 30 years and was Hon. President of the Glasgow Yeshiva and of the local Sabbath Observance Organisation. He was a noted Talmudic scholar, yet widely recognised as a popular rabbi and a "man of the People". He is buried at the Chevra Kadisha cemetery, Glasgow. He was the father of Dr. Solomon Lurie who served for 25 years as president of the Hull Western Synagogue. (Jewish Chronicle obituary 26 April 1957; "Second City Jewry" by Dr. K.E. Collins (1990); press report of 1 September 1916; and Jewish Year Book listings.)

Rev. Samuel Lynn
(b. 1927)

Rev. Lynn was raised and educated in Kishinev (today capital of Moldova) and studied at the yeshiva there until 1940 when he moved to Jassy (today Iasy), Romania, to study at the Conservatoire of Music and Drama. In 1960 he and his family emigrated to Israel. He later came to Britain and in 1963 was appointed chazan to the Southport Hebrew Congregation, Lancashire. Apart from a short period when he returned to Israel he served at Southport until about 1965. ("Philanthropy, Consensus and Broiges...a history of the Southport Jewish Community" by John Cowell, p.671, Jewish Chronicle profile 30 August 1963 and various reports.)

Chief Rabbi Hart Lyon
(1721 - 26 August 1800)

Rabbi Hirschel Ben Arye Löb Levin (m. Golda), better known in Britain as Rabbi Hart Lyon (and also known as Hirshel Löbel), was born in Rzeszow, (Reisha), Poland and was the son of Aryeh Loeb Loewensramn (also known as Saul Levin), a rabbi in Amsterdam. He was a distinguished Talmudist and was elected in 1756 to become Britain's second Chief Rabbi (the first to actually be appointed as Chief Rabbi), although he appears to have accepted such post only in 1758. He was also rabbi of the Great Synagogue, Dukes Place, London. He resigned in 1763, ostensibly following a disagreement with the wardens of the synagogue, but it appears that his resignation was occasioned primarily by what he saw as the neglect of Biblical and Talmudic studies by the Jews of London. He was the only rabbi of the Great Synagogue not to die in office and the only Chief Rabbi not to do so until the resignation of Rabbi Brodie in 1965, following the adoption of rules for compulsory retirement. Upon his resignation, he accepted an offer to become rabbi of Halberstadt, Germany and afterward became rabbi of Mannheim. In 1772 he was appointed chief rabbi of Berlin serving as such until his death. In 1802, his youngest son, Rabbi Solomon Hirschell became Britain's fourth Chief Rabbi. ("The Rabbinate of Hart Lyon, 1758-1764" in the History of the Great Synagogue, by Cecil Roth (1950);  "Jewish Encyclopedia" online article on Hirschel ben Aryeh Löb Levin.)


Footnotes    (returns to main text)

  1. Additional biographical information may be found in the source or sources shown in parenthesis following each profile. These were also the primary, but not necessarily the sole, source of the data provided in the profile.


Other Orthodox Rabbinical Profiles:

A;    B;    C;    D & E;    F;    G;    H;    I & J;    K;   

M;    N & O;    P & Q;    R;    S;    T to V;    W to Z.

Non-Orthodox Rabbinical Profiles:

A to D;     E to H;     I to L;     M to R;     S to Z.

Rabbinic Profiles Contents Page



Research by David Shulman and Steven Jaffe
Formatted by David Shulman

Return to the top of the page

Page created: 5 April 2020
Latest revision or update: 9 July 2021


Explanation of Terms   |   About JCR-UK  |   JCR-UK home page

Contact JCR-UK Webmaster:
jcr-ukwebmaster@jgsgb.org.uk

JGSGB  JewishGen


Terms and Conditions, Licenses and Restrictions for the use of this website:

This website is owned by JewishGen and the Jewish Genealogical Society of Great Britain. All material found herein is owned by or licensed to us. You may view, download, and print material from this site only for your own personal use. You may not post material from this site on another website without our consent. You may not transmit or distribute material from this website to others. You may not use this website or information found at this site for any commercial purpose.


Copyright © 2002 - 2021 JCR-UK. All Rights Reserved