JCR-UK

Birmingham & District Jewish Community

West Midlands

 

 

 

JCR-UK is a genealogical and historical website covering all Jewish communities and
congregations throughout the British Isles and Gibraltar, both past and present.
NOTE: We are not the official website for this community.

City of Birmingham
and the Boroughs of Solihull and Walsall

Birmingham, in the English Midlands, is the second largest city in England, with a population of approximately one million.  In the vicinity of Birmingham are a number of towns whose Jewish communities have looked to the Birmingham community for support or shares facilities, including Walsall immediately to Birmingham's northwest and Solihull immediately to Birmingham's southeast.

Until 1974, Birmingham, Solihull and Walsall were county boroughs, the first two in the county of Warwickshire and Walsall in the county of Staffordshire. Each then became metropolitan boroughs within the newly created metropolitan county of West Midlands (the areas of Solihull and Walsall being increased at the time by the incorporation of adjoining areas).  These metropolitan boroughs became unitary authorities in 1986, when West Midlands lost its administrative county status, becoming purely a ceremonial and geographical county.  Solihull had been an urban district until 1964, when it received county borough status.

The Birmingham Jewish Community

Birmingham did not develop as a major centre until relatively modern time and, accordingly, there was no medieval Jewish community in Birmingham. There was, however, a medieval Jewish community in Warwick, (34 miles away) and in Coventry (23 miles away). The modern Jewish community dates from the eighteen century, the earliest records of a synagogue and a Jewish burial ground being about 1730.

Jewish Congregations


The following are the Jewish congregations that exist or existed in and around Birmingham:


* An active congregation.

The following are former or alternative names of the above congregations:

 

Search the All-UK Database


The records in the database associated with Birmingham include:

  • Burials (including images of grave stones)

    • Brandwood End Cemetery (Jewish Section) 1918 - 2005 (620 records)*;

    • Old Witton Cemetery 1875 - 1977 (1,767 records)*;

    • Witton Cemetery 1938 - 2006 (3,295 records)*;

    • WWII Civilian Casualties (12 records).
      *Note: Database only includes details of legible stones and a number of section and row numbers may not be correct. Several of the Witton Cemetery images have the reflection of the photographer and it is intended to replace them in due course.

  • UK Jewish Communal Leaders Database

    • Jewish Directory of 1874, edited by Asher I. Myers, (73 Birmingham records).

    • Jewish Year Book 1896/97 (26 Birmingham records)

    • JCR-UK Listings (41 Birmingham records - as of 30 September 2021)

  • 1851 Anglo Jewry Database (updated 2016)

    • Individuals in the 1851 Anglo Jewry Database who were living in Birmingham during the 1770s (4 records); 1780s (7 records); 1790s (19 records); 1800s (30 records); 1810s (35 records); 1820s (77 records), 1830s (190 records), 1840s (429 records), 1850s (933 records), 1860s (333 records), 1870s (330 records), 1880s (253 records), 1890s (74 records), 1900s (46 records) and 1910s (19 records).

 

On-line Articles and Other Material
relating to the Birmingham Jewish Community


on JCR-UK

on third parties' websites

Communal Journal

  • Birmingham Jewish Recorder, founded 1935 (from 1939, published by the Representative Council of Birmingham Jewry)(xv)

 

Other Birmingham Jewish Institutions & Organisations


Educational

  • Birmingham Hebrew National School, later Birmingham Hebrew School and ultimately King David School(xvi)

  • Talmud Torah - see under Beth Hamedrash and Central Synagogue

  • Hebrew and Religious Instruction Board (from at least 1904 to at least 1959), for the supervision of Hebrew and Religious Education given in the Hebrew Schools and the Sabbath and Sunday classes.(xxx)

  • Jewish Education Board (from at least 1994 to at least 2013).(xxxi)


Welfare Organisation

  • Birmingham and Midland Home for Aged Jews. Founded in September 1926. Initially (until 1957) at 22 Park Road, Moseley (at which address there was a functioning synagogue), then at Tudar Lodge, Colmore Crescent, St Agnes Road (1957-c.1993); also at Joy Silverstone House, Park Road (c.1973-c.1993); then Andrew Cohen House, Riverbrook Drive, Stirchley (from about 1993). From 1935, the Home was administered by the Birmingham United Benevolent Board.(xxxii)

  • Jewish Welfare Board previously (to about 1981) Birmingham United Benevolent Board, formed in 1922 upon the almagamation of the following:(xxxiii)

    • Birmingham Hebrew Philanthropic Society (founded 1828). In 1874, objects described to grant relief in cases of sickness or distress; render assistance by gifts of money; grant loans not exceeding £5; lend or hire sewing machines; distribute coals and blankets during the winter months; grant provisions to aged and infirm persons In 1896/1900 objects were: (a) the relief of indigent tradesman, (b) granting pensions to aged persons, (c) undertaking all cases of deserving people not eligible for consideration by the Board of Guardians.(xxxiv)

    • Birmingham Hebrew Educational Aid and Clothing Society, previously the Hebrew Educational Society and the Hebrew Benevolent Educational Society (founded 1851). In 1874, objects described to assist necessitous children to obtain education to provide them with books and clothing, apprenticeship. In 1896, the objects were to pay all necessary support of the Hebrew schools and to apprentice Jewish children leaving school and subsequently the objects were further expanded.(xxxv)

    • Birmingham Hebrew (previously Jewish) Board of Guardians (founded March 1870) for relief of the Jewish poor and casual.(xxxvi)

    • Birmingham Hebrew Ladies Benevolent Visiting Society for relief of sick women and children; care of women during confinement; visiting the homes of the poor generally, previously the Birmingham Ladies' Benevolent Society (founded 1857) for relief of sick women and children, supplying clothes and other necessaries to women in confinement, etc.(xxxvii)

  • Birmingham Aid Society of the Jews' Hospital and Orphan Asylum (founded 1888 and existed until at least 1922) to assist the parent institution by purchasing life governorships.(xxxix)

  • Birmingham Jewish Charities Aid Society (founded 1892 and existed until at least 1924) to make annual grants to the Birmingham Jewish Charities.(xl)

  • Sabbath Meals Society (from at least 1896 and until at least 1920) to provide meals on Sabbaths and festivals to poor Jews passing through the town.(xli)

  • Midland Counties Needlework Guild, Montefiore Branch (founded in 1888 and existed until about 1940) object to make new garments for the poor.(xlii)

  • Chevra Bikur Cholim (from at least 1897) to supply visitors to the sick poor and watchers for the dying.(xliii)

  • Birmingham Hebrew Ladies' Boot Fund (from at least 1900 until 1940).(xliv)

  • Country Holidays for Town Children, Birmingham Branch (from about 1903 until 1940).(xlvi)

  • Hebrew School Children's Dinner Fund (founded in 1904 and existed until about 1920).(xlvii)

  • Aid Society for Birmingham Royal Institution for the Blind (from about 1928 until about 1937).(xlviii)

  • Aid Society for London Jewish Hospital - see Central Synagogue.

  • Junior Benevolent Board (from about 1936 until about 1939).(xlix)

  • Orphan Aid Society (from about 1939 until about 1959).(l)

  • Birmingham Council for Refugees (founded in 1939 and existed until about 1953).(li)

  • Orthodox Hostel for Jewish Refugee Children at 2 Walsall Wood Road, Aldridge (during World War II).(lii)

  • Birmingham Community Jewish Care (from about 1999).(liii)


Cultural, Social, Youth and Sports Organisations

  • Blucher Street Club, formerly (until about 1911) Recreation Classes for Girls (founded 1887 and existing until at least 1915) to instil into the minds of Jewish working girls a profitable method of spending their leisure time. To improve their tastes generally.(lvi)

  • Birmingham Hebrew School Old Boys Association (founded 1898 and existing until at least 1922) to promote good fellowship among the former pupils of the Hebrew Schools, and to unite in any movement calculated to advance the interests of the school or the community generally.(lvii)

  • Jewish Working Men's Educational Institute (from at least 1896 until at least 1911) to provide an English Education for foreign co-religionists.(lviii)

  • Birmingham Jewish Social Club, formerly (until about 1930) the Birmingham Jewish Working Men's Club (founded 1899 and existing until at least 1940) to afford its members the means of social intercourse and rational recreation.(lix)

  • Birmingham Jewish Literary and Art Society (incorporating from about 1935 the Birmingham Jewish Arts Society founded 1923), formerly the Bimingham Jewish Literary Association (from about 1925), and prior thereto Birmingham Jewish Young Men's Association (founded 1899 from the Amateur Dramatic Society and existing until at least 1946).(lx)

  • Birmingham Jewish Lads' Brigade (founded about 1900).(lxi)

  • Birmingham Social and Dramatic Club (founded 1910 and existing until about 1939, revived in 1946 and existing until at least 1950).(lxii)

  • Birmingham Union of Jewish Students (from about 1973), formerly the University of Birmingham Jewish Society (founded 1919) and the University of Aston Jewish Society (fonded by 1967).(lxv)

  • Young Israel Society, Birmingham Branch (from at least 1925 until at least 1972).(lxvi)

  • League of National Union, Birmingham Jewish Branch (from at least 1925 until least 1934).(lxvii)

  • Order Shield of David Social Club, Birmingham Branch (from at least 1925 until least 1934).(lxviii)

  • Birmingham Young Judaens Social Club (from at least 1926 until least 1930).(lxix)

  • Birmingham Ezrat Torah (founded 1932 and existing at least 1945).(lxx)

  • Birmingham Jewish Boys and Girls Club (from at least 1933 until at least 1940).(lxxi)

  • Jewish Ex-Service Men's (and Women's) Association, Birmingham Branch (AJEX) (from at least 1933).(lxxii)

  • 227th Birmingham (1st Jewish) Girl Guides (from at least 1932 until at least 1940).(lxxiii)

  • Joint Council of Birmingham Jewish Societies (founded 1935 and existing until at least 1945), to concordinate the work of the chief Jewish literary and social societies in Birmingham.(lxxv)

  • Birmingham Jewish Refugee Club (founded 1936 and existing until at least 1950).(lxxvi)

  • Birmingham Jewish Cultural Society (founded 1941 and existing until at least 1978).(lxxvii)

  • Council of Birmingham Jewish Youth (founded 1946 and existing until at least 1972).(lxxviii)

  • Birmingham Jewish Lads Brigade Old Boys Association (from at least 1947 until at least 1959).(lxxix)

  • Birmingham Jewish Youth Centre, at 61 Station Road (founded 1945 and existing until at least 1953).(lxxx)

  • Federation of Birmingham Jewish Youth Societies (from at least 1945 until at least 1950).(lxxxi)

  • Birmingham Jewish Youth Study Groups (from at least 1947).(lxxxiv)

  • Birmingham Jewish Social Club (from at least 1954 until at least 1972).(lxxxv)

  • Birmingham Young Maccabi (from at least 1954 until at least 1958).(lxxxvi)

  • Hilltop Club, formerly Cotton Youth Institute (from at least 1954 until at least 1967).(lxxxvii)

  • Hillel House (from at least 1959).(lxxxviii)

  • Zimriyah Choral Society (from at least 1959 until at least 1972).(lxxxix)

  • Jewish Historical Society of England, Birmingham Branch (founded 1968).(xc)

  • Birmingham Jewish Graduates Association (from at least 1972 until at least 2010).(xci)

  • Birmingham Jewish Youth Office (from at least 1975 until at least 1991).(xcii)

  • Birmingham Jewish Youth Trust (from at least 1991 until at least 2005).(xciii)


Israel & Zionist Organisations

  • Chovevei Zion Association - Tent No 20 (founded 1891 and existing until at least 1901).(xcvi)

  • Zionist Council, formerly the Birmingham Zionist Central (previously Joint) Zionist Council (from at least 1928 to at least 1994).(xcvii)

  • Zionist Federation, Birmingham Branch (from at least 1929 to at least 1938).(xcviii)

  • Jewish National Fund, Ladies Branch (from at least 1927 to at least 1938).(xcix)

  • Birmingham Women Zionist Welfare for Women and Children in Palestine, formerly Women's Wefare Section (from at least 1927 to at least 1937).(c)

  • Birmingham Friends of the Anti-Tuberculosis League of Israel (from at least 1929 to at least 1959).(ci)

  • Ziona, Junior WIZO, Birmingham Branch (from at least 1936 to at least 1940).(cii)

  • Federation of Zionist Youth (FZY) (from at least 1936 to at least 1955).(ciii)

  • Mizrachi Society (from at least 1945 to at least 1956).(civ)

  • Poale Zion (from at least 1945 to at least 1956).(civ)

  • Women's Zionist Council, Midland Branch (from at least 1945 to at least 1949).(cv)

  • Torah va' Avodah Society (from at least 1945 to at least 1951).(cvi)

  • Daughters of Zion (from at least 1945 to at least 1959).(cix)

  • Edgbaston Women's Zionist Society (from at least 1945 to at least 1959).(cix)

  • Kadimah Society (from at least 1945 to at least 1959).(cix)

  • Mizrachi Women's Organisation (from at least 1945 to at least 1959).(cix)

  • Kinereth Ladies Group (from at least 1945 to at least 1959).(cix)

  • Birmingham Friends of the Hebrew University (from at least 1949 to at least 1959).(cx)

  • British ORT, Birmingham Branch (from at least 1951 to at least 1955).(cxi)

  • Women Zionists (from at least 1953 to at least 1959).(cxii)

  • Midland Israel Information Centre, formerly (until about 2012) the Israel Information Centre, Book Shop and Reference Library (from at least 1996).(cxiii)


Friendly (Benefit) Societies & Trade Unions

  • Loyal Independent United Israelites Benefit Society (founded 1853 and existing until at least 1915) for relief of members during sickness and week of mourning, allowance to widows, etc.(cxvi)

  • Birmingham Provident Co-operative Matza Association (founded 1870).(cxvii)

  • Birmingham Naturalisation Society (founded 1897 and existing until at least 1917).(cxviii)

  • Birmingham International Tailors, Tailoresses, Machinists and Pressers Benefit Trade Union formerly (until about 1912) the Jewish Tailors, Machinists and Pressers Benefit Trade Union (from at least 1903 until at least 1940).(cxix)

  • Birmingham Tailors Employers Society (from at least 1905 until at least 1940).(cxx)

  • Jewish Thrift Society (from at least 1919 to at least 1926) to encourage thrift by weekly collections.(cxxi)

  • Council of Jewish Friendly Societies (from at least 1946 to at least 1959), formerly Birmingham Association of Jewish Friendly Society Lodges (from about 1927 to about 1938).(cxxii)

  • O.A.B.S.A. Midland District Council (from at least 1930 to at least 1940) to encourage thrift by weekly collections.(cxxiii)

  • Various Friendly Society Lodges:(cxxvi)

    • Court 'Jacob's Pride' No. 5946 AOF (founded 1874 and existing until at least 1940).(cxxvii)

    • Rev. A. Cohen Lodge No. 72 (from at least 1915 until at least 1923).(cxxviii)

    • Grand Order of Israel and Shield of David, David Davis Lodge No. 20 (founded 1903 until at least late 1950s)(cxxix)

    • Order Shield Of David:

      • Simon Westkosky Lodge No 63 (from at least 1923 to late 1950s).(cxxx)

      • Frederick Jacombe Sport Lodge No 64 (from at least 1936 to late 1950s).(cxxxi)

      • Eva Bloom Lodge No 81 (from at least 1923 to late 1950s).(cxxxii)

      • Annie Spiers Lodge No 93 (from at least 1923 to late 1950s).(cxxxiii)

    • United Jewish Friendly Society:(cxxxvi)

      • Rev. G.J. Emanuel and Israelite Lodge No. 19, former lodge of Order Achei Brith and Shield of Abraham (Brethren of the Covenant), (from at least 1903 until at least late 1950s).(cxxxvii)

      • Isaac Joseph Lodge No. 34, former lodge of Order "Achei Brith" and "Shield of David", (from at least 1926 to at least 1951).(cxxxviii)

      • Ben Newman Lodge No. 34a, former lodge of Order Achei Ameth No. 34, (from at least 1927 until at least 1951).(cxxxix)

      • Rachel Mindelsohn Lodge No. 38, former lodge of Order Achei Brith and Shield of David No. 38 (then 36), (founded 1916 until at least late 1950s).(cxl)

      • Montague Lord Swaything Lodge No. 46, former lodge of Order Achei Brith (Order of the Covenant) and Shield of David, (founded 1913 until at least late 1950s).(cxli)

    • B'nai Brith Joint Lodge (from at least 1998 to at least 2003).(cxlii)


Religious Institutions

  • Birmingham Board of Shechita (under various names) (from at least 1900).(cxlvi)

  • Rabbinic Study Circle - see Central Synagogue.

  • Birmingham Mikva(cxlvii)

  • Hebrew Study Circle (from at least 1930 to at least 1938) was held in a private home every Friday evening at 8:30 pm. The lecturer was Rabbi L. Freedman.(cxlviii)

  • Birmingham Rabbinic Board (from at least 1999).(cxlix)


Other Institutions & Organisations

  • Anglo-Jewish Association, Birmingham Branch (existing from at least 1897 until at least 1955).(clii)

  • Jewish Division of St John Ambulance Association (from at least 1929 to at least 1936)(cliii)

  • Birmingham Jewish Communal Scheme (from about 1929 to at least 1938) to provide new Hebrew Schools Boys and Girl Clubs and establish a communal hall anf institute.(cliv)

  • Guild of Collectors (from at least 1930 to at least 1935).(clv)

  • Representative Council for Birmingham and Midland Jewry, formerly (until about 1965) the Representative Council for Birmingham Jewry, (founded 1937).(clvi)

  • Citizens Advisory Bureau (founded September 1939 until at least 1959) initially to give advice on problems arising out of the War.(clix)

  • World Jewish Congress, Midland Branch (from at least 1945 until at least 1951).(clx)

  • Trade Advisory Council (TAC) (from at least 1945 until at least 1955).(clxi)

  • Karem Kindegarten (from at least 1974 until at least 1991).(clxii)

 

 

Community Records

  • Registration District (for BMD):Birmingham (since 1 October 1932).

    • Previous Registration Districts:

      • From 1 October 1924 until 1 October 1932 - Birmingham divided into two registration districts - Birmingham South and Birmingham North;

      • From 1 July 1837 to 1 October 1924 - Birmingham.

    • Any registers would now be held by current register office.

    • Register Office website

 

Birmingham Jewish Cemeteries Information

Listed below are the cemeteries used by the Birmington Jewish Community:

  • The Froggery Jewish Burial Ground. In used by 1730 until, most probably, about 1766 (opening of Granville Street Cemetery). Situated in the garden of The Froggery Synagogue. (Now site of New Street Railway Station.)

  • Granville Street Burial Ground. In use from 1766 to 1825. Site redeveloped as part of railway redevelopement. Some of the remains from cemetery were reinterred to Witton Old Cemetery in 1876.

  • Betholom Row Jewish Burial Ground, between Bath Row and Islington Row, Edgbaston, Birmingham B15. Opened about 1823 and closed many years ago. Fragments of headstones removed to Witton Old Cemetery.

  • Witton Jewish Cemeteries. Opened in 1868 and still in used. Comprises two sections at the Witton municipal cemetery:

    • Witton Old Jewish Cemetery In use from 1869 (consecrated on 14 February 1871). Includes obelist commemorating remains that were reinterred from Granville Street Cemetery in 1876 and fragments of headstones from Betholom Cemetery.

    • Witton New Jewish Cemetery, used by both the City's Orthodox and Progessive congregations.

  • Brandwood End Cemetery, Jewish Section, Woodthorpe Road, Kings Norton, Stirchley, B 14. Acquired in 1918 by the Birmingham New Synagogue.

Records of the Witton and Brandwood End cemeteries are on the All-UK Database (see above).

(For additional information, see IAJGS Cemetery Project - Birmingham)

 

Birmingham Jewish Population Data

1730

 First Jewish settlement (possibly earlier)

1851

752

(Paper by Birmingham Jewish Local History Study Group))

1896

3,000 to 4,000

(The Jewish Year Book 1896/7)

1901

3,500

(The Jewish Year Book 1901/2)

1904

4,000

(The Jewish Year Book 1904/5)

1908

5,000

(The Jewish Year Book 1909)

1910

5,000 to 6,000

(The Jewish Year Book 1911)

1923

6,000

(The Jewish Year Book 1924)

1951

6,300

(The Jewish Year Book 1952)

1973

6,000

(The Jewish Year Book 1974)

1984

5,500

(The Jewish Year Book 1985)

1990

3,500

(The Jewish Year Book 1991)

1991

3,000

(The Jewish Year Book 1992)

2003

2,343

(The Jewish Year Book 2004)

 

Notes & Sources
( returns to text above)

  • (i) to (xiv) Reserved.

  • (xvii) Jewish Year Book 1939 gives 1935 as year of founding.

  • (xvi) Bibliography includes three articles: "The Evolution of the Birmingham Hebrew National School" by S. Rothstein, "The Birmingham Hebrew School (1870-1904)" by R.E. Levy and "The Hebrew National School at the Turn of the Century" by M. Myers, all included in Birmingham Jewry More Aspects 1740-1950 (1984), edited by Zoe Josephs (pp.129/142). The Jewish Directory of 1874, edited by Asher I. Myers, gives the name of all Committee members.

  • (xvii) Jewish Year Book 1903/4.

  • (xviii) jewish Year Book 1935.

  • (xix) Address first listed Jewish Year Book 1966.

  • (xx) Reserved.

  • (xxi) Birmingham Jewry More Aspects 1740-1950, editor Z. Josephs, pp.14/15.

  • (xxii) Birmingham Jewry More Aspects 1740-1950, editor Z. Josephs, p.133.

  • (xxiii) Birmingham Jewry More Aspects 1740-1950, editor Z. Josephs, p.133.

  • (xxiv) Birmingham Jewry More Aspects 1740-1950, editor Z. Josephs, p.15.

  • (xxv) Birmingham Jewry More Aspects 1740-1950, editor Z. Josephs, p.15.

  • (xxvi) Birmingham Jewry More Aspects 1740-1950, editor Z. Josephs, p.140.

  • (xxvii) Mr. Harris is listed as headmaster in the Jewish Year Book 1945/6 (the first following the resumption of publication after the war) until the 1950 edition.

  • (xxvii) Mr. Levy is listed as headmaster in Jewish Year Books 1951 through 1979.

  • (xxix) Mr. Gallom is listed as headmaster in Jewish Year Books 1980 through 1986.

  • (xxx) and (xxxi) The Insttruction Board is listed in Jewish Year Books from 1904/5 through 1959.

  • (xxxi) The Education Board is listed in Jewish Year Books from 1995 through 2013.

  • (xxxii) The Home is listed in Jewish Year Books from 1927 (which gives month of founding). The 1935 edition refers to the change of administration.

  • (xxxiii) The United Benevolent Board is listed in Jewish Year Books from 1923, which edition also lists the amalgamated societies.

  • (xxxiv) Article entitled "The Birmingham Hebrew Philanthropic Society" by P. Johnson and E.D. Lessor, is included in Birmingham Jewry More Aspects 1740-1950 (1984), edited by Zoe Josephs (pp.93/101). Listed, with all committee members, in Jewish Directory of 1874, edited by Asher I. Myers. Listed in Jewish Year Books from 1896/7 through 1922.

  • (xxxv) Educational Society listed, with all committee members, in Jewish Directory of 1874, edited by Asher I. Myers. Listed in Jewish Year Books from 1896/7 (which gives year of founding) through 1922.

  • (xxxvi) Board of Guardians listed, with all board members, in Jewish Directory of 1874, edited by Asher I. Myers (which gives month of founding). Listed in Jewish Year Books from 1896/7 through 1922.

  • (xxxvii) Ladies Benevolent Society listed in Jewish Directory of 1874, edited by Asher I. Myers, and Jewish Year Books from 1896/7 (which gives year of founding) through 1922. May have been incorporated into the United Benevolent Board.

  • (xxxvii) Reserved

  • (xxxix) Hospital Aid Society listed in Jewish Year Books from 1896/7 (which gives year of founding) through 1923. May have been incorporated into the United Benevolent Board.

  • (xl) Charities Aid Society listed in Jewish Year Books from 1896/7 (which gives year of founding) through 1925. May have been incorporated into the United Benevolent Board.

  • (xli) Sabbath Meals Society listed in Jewish Year Books from 1896/7 through 1921. May have been incorporated into the United Benevolent Board.

  • (xlii) Needlework Guild listed in Jewish Year Books from 1909 (which came year of founding) through 1940.

  • (xliii) A Bikur Cholim is listed in most Jewish Year Books from 1896/7 until 1917.

  • (xliv) The Boots Fund is listed in Jewish Year Books from 1900/01 through 1940.

  • (xlv) Reserved.

  • (xlvi) Country Holidays is listed in Jewish Year Books from 1903/04 through 1940.

  • (xlvii) Dinner Fund is listed in Jewish Year Books from 1912 (which gives year of founding) through 1921.

  • (xlviii) Blind Aid Society is listed in Jewish Year Books from 1929 through 1938.

  • (xlix) The Junior Guild is listed in Jewish Year Books from 1937 through 1940.

  • (l) An Orphan Aid Society (under different names) is listed in most Jewish Year Books from 1940 through 1959.

  • (li) A Council for Refugees is listed in Jewish Year Books from 1947 (which gives year of founding) through 1953.

  • (lii) The Hostel was listed in the Jewish Year Book 1945/6, but was clearly founded some years earlier.

  • (liii) Jewish Care was listed in Jewish Year Books from 2000.

  • (liv) and (lv) Reserved.

  • (lvi) Recreation Classes for Girls listed in Jewish Year Books from 1896/7 (which gives year of founding) through 1912 and Blucher Street Club listed in the editions from 1913 through 1916.

  • (lvii) Old Boys Association listed in Jewish Year Books from 1898/9 through 1923. (The 1904/5 edition gives the year of founding.)

  • (lviii) Working Men's Educational Institute was listed in Jewish Year Books from 1896/7 through 1911.

  • (lix) Article entitled "The Birmingham Jewish Working Men's Club" by Z. Josepgs, is included in Z. Josephs's Birmingham Jewry More Aspects 1740-1950 (1984), (pp.87/8). It was listed in Jewish Year Books from 1899/1900 (which gives year of founding) through 1940, with change of name from 1931.

  • (lx) Listed in Jewish Year Books from 1897/8 through 1961, with changes of name in 1926 and 1937 editions. Year of founding given in 1947 edition. The Arts Society was listed in the editions from 1924 through 1936.

  • (lxi) Article entitled "Jewish Lads' Brigade" by Z. Josepgs, is included in Z. Josephs's Birmingham Jewry More Aspects 1740-1950 (1984), (pp.123/4). It was listed in Jewish Year Books from 1899/1900 (which stated that it was in the course of formation).

  • (lxii) Listed in Jewish Year Books from 1919 (with date of founding) through 1940 and from 1947 (with date of revival) through 1951.

  • (lxiii) and (lxiv) Reserved.

  • (lxv) The Birmingham University Jewish Society was first listed in Jewish Year Book 1922 (with year of founding) The Aston Society was first listed in the 1968 edition, with the joint union listed from 1974.

  • (lxvi) The Young Israel Society was listed in Jewish Year Books 1926 to 1972 (with a break from 1960 through 1967).

  • (lxvi) The National Union was listed in Jewish Year Books 1926 through 1934.

  • (lxviii) This Social Club was listed in Jewish Year Books 1926 through 1934.

  • (lxix) The Young Judaens were was listed in Jewish Year Books 1927 through 1930.

  • (lxx) Ezrat Torah was listed in Jewish Year Books 1939 (with year of founding) through 1945/6.

  • (lxxi) The Boys and Girls Club was listed in Jewish Year Books 1934 through 1940.

  • (lxxii) Birmingham AJEX was first listed in Jewish Year Book 1934.

  • (lxxiii) The Guilds were first listed in Jewish Year Book from 1934 through 1940.

  • (lxxiv) Reserved.

  • (lxxv) The Joint Council was listed in Jewish Year Books 1939 (with year of founding) through 1945/6.

  • (lxxvi) The Refugee Club was listed in Jewish Year Books 1939 (with year of founding) through 1950.

  • (lxxvii) The Cultural Society was listed in Jewish Year Books 1945/6 (with year of founding) through 1979.

  • (lxxviii) The Council of Jewish Youth was listed in Jewish Year Books 1947 (with year of founding) through 1972.

  • (lxxix) The Old Boys Association was listed in Jewish Year Books 1948 through 1959.

  • (lxxx) The Youth Centre was listed in Jewish Year Books 1948 (with year of founding) through 1953.

  • (lxxxi) The Federation was listed in Jewish Year Books 1945/6 through 1950.

  • (lxxxii) and (lxxxiii) Reserved.

  • (lxxxiv) Study Groups were listed in Jewish Year Books from 1948.

  • (lxxxv) The Social Club was listed in Jewish Year Books from 1954 through 1973.

  • (lxxxvi) Young Maccabi was listed in Jewish Year Books from 1955 through 1958.

  • (lxxxvii) The Cotton Youth Institute was listed in Jewish Year Books from 1954 through 1956 and the Hilltop Club, at the same address is listed in the editions from 1965 through 1967.

  • (lxxxviii) Hillel House was listed in Jewish Year Books from 1960.

  • (lxxxix) Zimriyah was listed in Jewish Year Books from 1960 through 1972.

  • (xc) The Historical Society was listed in Jewish Year Books from 2007, with a note that the branch was established in 1968.

  • (xci) The Graduates Association was listed in Jewish Year Books from 1973 through 2010.

  • (xcii) The Youth Office was listed in Jewish Year Books from 1976 through 1991.

  • (xciii) The Youth Trust was listed in Jewish Year Books from 1992 through 2005.

  • (xciv) and (xcv) Reserved.

  • (xcvi) The article entitled "Early Zionism" by R.E. Levy, included in Birmingham Jewry More Aspects 1740-1950 (1984), edited by Zoe Josephs (p.102), provided that year Chovevei Zion was established It was listed in Jewish Year Books from 1897/8 through 1900/1.

  • (xcvii) The Birmingham Joint Zionist Council was first listed in the Jewish Year Book 1929. The Birmingham Zionist Council remained listed until the 1994 edition.

  • (xcviii) The Zionist Federation was listed in Birmingham in Jewish Year Books from 1930 through 1938.

  • (xcix) The JNF Ladies Branch was listed in Birmingham in Jewish Year Books from 1928 through 1938.

  • (c) The Women's Welfare organisation was listed in Jewish Year Books from 1928 through 1937.

  • (ci) Friends of the Anti-TB League was listed in Birmingham in Jewish Year Books from 1930 through 1959.

  • (cii) Ziona was listed in Birmingham in Jewish Year Books from 1937 through 1940.

  • (ciii) FZY was listed in Birmingham in Jewish Year Books from 1937 to 1955 (although there was a break from 1939 through 1952).

  • (civ) Mizrachi and Poale Zion were listed in Birmingham in Jewish Year Books from 1945/6 through 1957.

  • (cv) The Women's Zionist Council was listed in Birmingham in Jewish Year Books from 1945/6 through 1949.

  • (cvi) Torah va'Avodah was listed in Birmingham in Jewish Year Books from 1945/6 through 1951.

  • (cvii) and (cviii) Reserved.

  • (cix) These 5 organisations were listed in Birmingham in Jewish Year Books from 1945/6 to 1959 (although for in some cases the organisation did not appear every year).

  • (cx) Friends of the Hebrew U was listed in Birmingham in Jewish Year Books from 1950 through 1959.

  • (cxi) British ORT was listed in Birmingham in Jewish Year Books from 1952 through 1955.

  • (cxii) Women Zionists was listed in Birmingham in Jewish Year Books from 1954 through 1959.

  • (cxiii) The Centre was listed in Jewish Year Books from 1996. The Reference Library had ben listed in editions from 1976 through 2005.

  • (cxiv) and (cxv) Reserved.

  • (cxvi) The Loyal Society was listed in Jewish Directory of 1874, edited by Asher I. Myers, with date of founding. It was listed in Jewish Year Books from 1896/7 through 1915.

  • (cxvii) The Matza Association was listed (with all committee members) in Jewish Directory of 1874, edited by Asher I. Myers, with date of founding, but was not listed in any Jewish Year Book (first published 1896/7).

  • (cxviii) The Naturalisation Society was listed in Jewish Year Books from 1897/8 (with year of founding) through 1917.

  • (cxix) This Trade Union was listed in Jewish Year Books from 1903/4 through 1940.

  • (cxx) The Employers Society was listed in Jewish Year Books from 1905/6 through 1940.

  • (cxxi) The Thrift Society was listed in Jewish Year Books from 1919 through 1926.

  • (cxxii) The Council was listed in Jewish Year Books from 1947 through 1959. The earlier Association was listed from 1926 through 1938.

  • (cxxiii) O.A.B.S.A. was listed Jewish Year Books from 1931 through 1940.

  • (cxxiv) and (cxxv) Reserved.

  • (cxxvi) Jewish Year Books generally ceased listing individually lodges from 1959.

  • (cxxvii) Jacob Pride was listed in Jewish Year Books from 1899/1900 (with year of founding) through 1940.

  • (cxxviii) Rev. A. Cohen Lodge was listed in Jewish Year Books from 1916 through 1923.

  • (cxxix) Lodge No. 20 was listed in Jewish Year Books from 1903/4 through 1959.

  • (cxxx) Lodge No. 63 was listed in Jewish Year Books from 1924 through 1959.

  • (cxxxi) Lodge No. 64 was listed in Jewish Year Books from 1936 through 1959.

  • (cxxxii) Lodge No. 81 was listed in Jewish Year Books from 1924 through 1959.

  • (cxxxiii) Lodge No. 93 was listed in Jewish Year Books from 1924 through 1959.

  • (cxxxiv) and (cxxxv) Reserved.

  • (cxxxvi) The United Jewish Friendly Society was formed on 1 January 1949 upon the merger of a number of earlier friendly societies.

  • (cxxxvii) Lodge No. 19 was listed in Jewish Year Books from 1903/4 through 1959.

  • (cxxxviii) Lodge No. 34 was listed in Jewish Year Books from 1926 through 1951.

  • (cxxxvii) Lodge No. 34a (formerly Ben Newman Lodge No 34) was listed in Jewish Year Books from 1928 through 1951.

  • (cxl) Lodge No. 38 (also formerly 36) was listed in Jewish Year Books from 1917 (which gives year of founding) through 1959.

  • (cxli) Lodge No. 46 was listed in Jewish Year Books from 1913 (which gives year of founding) through 1959.

  • (cxlii) The Joint Lodge was listed in Jewish Year Books from 1998 through 2003.

  • (cxliii) to (cxlv) Reserved.

  • (cxlvi) The Shechita Board was first listed in Jewish Year Book 1900/01, but would have existed earlier. The New Synagogue at one time had its own Shechita Board.

  • (cxlvii) A mikva was listed from time to time in Jewish Year Books and continously from 1973.

  • (cxlviii) The Hebrew Study Circle was listed in Jewish Year Books from 1931 through 1936.

  • (cxlix) The Rabbinic Board was listed in Jewish Year Books from 2000.

  • (cl) and (cli) Reserved.

  • (clii) The Anglo-Jewish Association was listed in Birmingham in Jewish Year Books from 1897/8 to 1955, although it was not listed every year.

  • (cliii) St John Ambulance was listed in Birmingham in Jewish Year Books from 1930 through 1936.

  • (cliv) The Communal Scheme was listed in Jewish Year Books from 1930 through 1938.

  • (clv) The Guild of Collectors was listed in Jewish Year Books from 1931 through 1935.

  • (clvi) The Representative Council was listed in Jewish Year Books from 1938, which gave the year of founding as 1937.

  • (clvii) and (clviii) Reserved.

  • (clix) The Citizens Advisory Bureau was listed in Birmingham in Jewish Year Books from 1940 through 1959.

  • (clx) The WJC was listed in Birmingham in Jewish Year Books from 1945/6 through 1951.

  • (clxi) The TAC was listed in Birmingham in Jewish Year Books from 1945/6 through 1955.

  • (clxii) The kindergarten was listed in Jewish Year Books from 1974 through 1991.

 

Jewish Congregations in West Midlands

Jewish Communities of England home page


Page created: 21 August 2005
Data significantly expanded: 29 November 2019
Further significantly expanded: 4 August 2022
Page most recently amended: 10 August 2022

Research and formatting by David Shulman


Explanation of Terms   |   About JCR-UK  |   JCR-UK home page

Contact JCR-UK Webmaster:
jcr-ukwebmaster@jgsgb.org.uk
(Note: This is to contact JCR-UK, not the above Community or Congregation)

JGSGB  JewishGen


Terms and Conditions, Licenses and Restrictions for the use of this website:

This website is owned by JewishGen and the Jewish Genealogical Society of Great Britain. All material found herein is owned by or licensed to us. You may view, download, and print material from this site only for your own personal use. You may not post material from this site on another website without our consent. You may not transmit or distribute material from this website to others. You may not use this website or information found at this site for any commercial purpose.


Copyright © 2002 - 2022 JCR-UK. All Rights Reserved