the former

Middlesbrough Hebrew Congregation

& Jewish Community

Middlesbrough, North Yorkshire




JCR-UK is a genealogical and historical website covering all Jewish communities and
congregations throughout the British Isles and Gibraltar, both past and present.

Town of Middlesbrough

The town and borough of Middlesbrough, in the North East of England, with a population of about 140,000, has been a unitary authority since 1996, although for ceremonial purposes it is considered part of the county of North Yorkshire. From 1974 to 1996, Middlesbrough was a metropolitan district in the short-lived and now defunct metropolitan county of Cleveland. From 1968 to 1974, Middlesbrough was part of the county borough of Teesside, which had merged the county borough of Middlesbrough (formed 1889) with the municipal borough of Stockton-on-Tees. Until 1974, Middlesbrough was considered part of the North Riding of Yorkshire.

Middlesbrough Jewish Community

The first Jew known to have settled in Middlesbrough was Maurice Levy in 1862(ii) and by the middle of the decade regular religious services had been established. By the mid 1870s, a plot of land had been purchased and a permanent synagogue constructed and a Jewish cemetery was acquired in the 1880s. There was only ever the single (orthodox) Jewish congregation in the town. The size of Jewish community began to decline in the 1960s causing the synagogue to close by the end of the century due to dwindling numbers.

Middlesbrough Park Road South Synagogue
The former Middlesbrough Synagogue in Park Road South

Congregation Data


Middlesbrough Synagogue or Middlesbrough Hebrew Congregation

Formation of the Congregation:

The earliest reference to the formation of a congregation was in 1865, with services taking place in premises in Lower East Street, Middlesbrough. (A report in The Middlesbrough Weekly News and Cleveland Advertiser of 5 October 1865 stated "Arrangements have just been completed and premises secured in Lower East Street for the holding of worship according to the Mosaic Ritual. The advent of a large number of Jews into the town has called for the opening of this new place of Worship.")(iv)

Subsequently, there were references to a number of different places of worship used by the congregation. These included premises in Hill Street, opened in May 1870,(v) which was probably the same premises described elsewhere as the upstairs portion of a boot and shoe warehouse at 56 Garden Street at the corner of Hill Street and possibly a room over a stable at Garden Street. The was also reference to a loft over a joiner's shop, a room over a shop in Granville Terrace, Linthorpe Road, as well as premises in Newport Road.(vi)

First Permanent Synagogue:

Brentnall Street, Middlesbrough (1874 to 1936)

The foundation stone for the synagogue was laid on 21 August 1873. The building was completed in May 1874 and the synagogue was formally opened and consecrated by Chief Rabbi Dr. H. Adler on 24 June 1874.(vii) The site had been purchased for £370 and the total costs of the synagogue was some £2,000.(viii) A communal hall and classrooms were subsequently added and further extended in 1919.

The Brentnall Street synagogue was closed in about 1936 and until the opening of the Park Road South synagogue (see below) in 1938, the congregation held services in Linthorpe Village in two houses converted for the purpose.(ix)

Last Address:

33 Park Road South, Middlesbrough (1938-1998)

The foundation stone was laid on 10 November 1937 and the synagogue was opened on 15 June 1938 and subsequently consecrated by Chief Rabbi Dr. Hertz. In 1956, a communal hall was added, named the Agnes Spencer Room after a devout Christian woman who lived locally. Mrs Spencer (d.1959) was the widow of Thomas Spencer, the partner of Michael Marks in founding the business, Marks and Spencer. Mrs Spencer made a substantial gift to the congregation of shares in the company that was used to build the hall.(x)

The closing ceremony of the synagogue took place on Sunday, 1 November 1998(xi) (see below for link to YouTube videos of final service) and the building was sold and subsequently converted into flats, now known as "Lugs Lodge".(xii)


Congregation is now defunct. The synagogue was closed on 1 November 1998 (see below for link to YouTube videos of final service) and the congregation was disbanded sometime thereafter.(xiii)


Ashkenazi Orthodox


The congregation was unaffiliated but under the aegis of the Chief Rabbi.

Beth Hamedrash:

There was a Beth Hamedrash attached to the congregation, at least in the early part of the twentieth century, although this does not appear to have been a separate congregation, although it may, from time to time, have held separate services.

Legacy Website:

http://kmbro.weebly.com/ - Kehilat Middlesbrough Newsletter and Archives

Incorporated Congregations:

On the closure of the following congregations, their remaining members were incorporated into the Middlesbrough congregation:

West Hartlepool Hebrew Congregation in 1968.

Stockton-on-Tees Synagogue in 1971.

(To view a short profile of a minister or reader whose name appears in blue- hold the cursor over his name.)

Rev. Marks Emanuel Davis - from 1888 until 1912(xx)

Rev. Woolf Hirsch (formerly Hirshowitz), BA - from about 1913 to about 1920(xxi)

Rabbi Dr Isidore Epstein - from 1920 until 1928(xxii)

Rabbi Lewis Miller - from 1930 until 1951(xxiii)

(Rev. B. Landau - listed for 1951(xxiv))

Rev Bernard Kersh - from 1952 until 1989(xxv)

Assistant Ministers, Readers (Chazanim) & Temporary Ministers:

Rev. J. (or L.) Lazarus - conducted first marriage ceremony in 1871(xxx)

Rev. Jacob Marks - reader and shochet from about 1873 to 1875(xxxi)

Rev. Goldstein - teacher from 1873 to about 1874(xxxii)

Rev. Jacob Furst - reader from 1874 to 1879(xxxiii)

Rev. Abraham H. Eisenberg - reader in late 1870s or in 1880(xxxv)

Rev. J. Levy - reader from about 1881 to 1882(xxxvi)

Rev. Lazarus Jacob Slevansky - temporary minister in 1884(xxxvii)

Rev. H. P. Levy - reader from about 1885 to at least 1887(xxxviii)

Rev. Maurice David Hershman - reader from at least 1891 to about 1897(xxxix)

Rev. Jacob Moses Silverston - reader from 1897 to about 1923, then joint assistant minister to 1936(xl)

Rev. David Rabinovitch - reader in about 1908(xli)

Rev. Shalom Cohen - reader in about 1909 to 1917(xlii)

Rev. Joshua Bach  in about 1918 (xliii)

Rev. Solomon Turtledove - joint assistant minister from about 1920 to about 1936, then reader to 1948(xliv)

Rev. Gershon Wulwick - first reader and teacher from 1936 to at least 1946(xlv)

Rev. Michael Kahan - reader and teacher in late 1940s(xlvi)

Rev. Martin Norden - reader and teacher from about 1948 to about 1951(xlvii)

Lay Officers, prior to 1896:

Maurice Levy - Founder of the congregation(l)

Isaac Alston - Chairman (about 1870), Warden (about 1873)(li)

Avraham Nathan - Vice Chairman (about 1870), Warden (about 1873), President (about 1874)(lii)

Levy Kaufman - Treasurer (about 1874)(liii)

S. Wood - Beadle (about 1874)(liv)

Lay Officers, since 1896:

Unless otherwise stated, the data below on the lay officers of the congregation has been extracted Jewish Year Book listings, first published 1896/7.(lx) When a first name is given, this has generally been obtained from other sources. Although Jewish Year Books were not published during World War II subsequent to 1940, the Victory Booklet on the Kehilat Middlesbrough website lists the lay officers from 1938 to 1945.


1896-1898 - Jacob Wilkes

1898-1901 - Hyman Benjamin

1901-1904 - I. Hush

1904-1907 - Hyman Benjamin

1907-1912 - Jacob Wilkes

1914-1916 - M. Marks

1916-1917 - Hyman Benjamin

1917-1920 - S. Israel

1920-1923 - Philip Simon

1923-1926 - M. Manaet

1926-1927 - A. Goldberg

1927-1931 - Philip Simon

1931-1933 - J. Lazarus

1933-1935 - M. Marks

1935-1937 - P. Doberman

1937-1938 - Thomas Freeman

1938-1939 - Philip Simon or N.J. Marks(lxi)

1939-1940 - N.J. Marks(lxii)

1940-1941 - Philip Simon(lxii)

1941-1943 - M. Pinto(lxii)

1943-1947 - A. Halson(lxii)

1947-1948 - H. Benjamin

1948-1952 - J. Fischbein

1952-1953 - L. L. Goldstein

1953-1955 - S. Doberman

1955-at least 1956 - I. Bernard(lxiii)


Hon. Solicitors

1925-1938 - F.H. Bloom

about 1946 - H.S. Simon(lxiv)


1896-1897 - J. Hush

1897-1898 - H. Simon

1898-1901 - I. Hush

1904-1907 - Jacob Wilson

1907-1908 - J. Bloom

1908-1912 - Jacob Myers

1914-1916 - M. Monaet

1916-1917 - S. Israel

1917-1920 - Philip Simon

1920-1923 - L. Baker

1923-1926 - A. Goldberg

1926-1927 - J.L. Lazarus

1927-1931 - A. Halson

1931-1933 - P. Doberman

1933-1934 - A. Goldberg

1934-1935 - M. Pinto

1935-1938 - N.J. Marks

1938-1939 - N.J. Marks or H. Benjamin(lxv)

1939-1940 - H. Benjamin(lxvi)

1940-1941 - F. Joseph(lxvi)

1941-1944 - J. Fischbein(lxvi)

1944-1947 - H. Benjamin(lxvi)

1947-1948 - J. Fischbein

1948-1949 - J. Goldstein

1949-1950 - S. Doberman

1950-1951 - N.J. Marks

1951-1952 - M. Saville

1952-1953 - S. Doberman

1953-1954 - M. Schmulewitch

1954- at least 1956 - H. Vyner

Secretaries & Hon. Secretaries

1896-1901 - J. Levy

1901-1923 - B. Nelson

1923-1925 - F. Bloom

1925-1931 - Cllr. S. Levy

1931-1933 - N. Marks

1933-1936 - H. Simon

1936-1940 - Mayer Marks(lxvii)

1940-1941 - M. Solomon(lxvii)

1941-1947 - Nat Craster(lxvii)

1947-1950 - Philip Niman

1950-1954 - H. Vyner

1954-1955 - M. Lehrman

1955-1956 - J. Adler

1956-1958 - S. Solomon

1958-1959 - M. Marks

1959-1962 - W.J. Levene

1962-1963 - S. Solomon

1963-1966 - J.B. Bookey

1966-1975 - H. Vyner

1975-1976 - J.B. BookeyM. Pevey

1976-1979 - D. Baum

1979-1990 - T.H. Richardson


Assistant Secretaries

1920-1923 - B. Benjamin

1923-1925 - B.M. Marks

Membership Data:

Number of Seatholders(lxx)









National Reports and Surveys(lxxi)

1977 - 64 male (or household) members and 34 female members

1983 - 74 male (or household) members and 30 female members

1990 - 50 members (comprising 27 households, 11 individual male and 12 individual female members)

1996 - 43 members (comprising 30 households, 3 individual male and 10 individual female members)

Registration District

Middlesbrough, since 1 April 1996(lxxii) - Register Office website


Middlesbrough Brenthall Street Synagogue
The former Middlesbrough Synagogue at Brenthall Street

Search the All-UK Database

The records in the database associated with Middlesbrough include:


Old Cemetery, 1885-1951 (250 records*)
New Cemetery, 1932-2001 (409 records*)
*A search in the database may also reveal duplicates of these records on the JewishGen Online Worldwide Burial Register (JOWBR)

1851 Anglo Jewry Database also including Whitby (25 miles to the east) (updated 2016).

Individuals in the 1851 Anglo Jewry Database who were living in:
Middlesbrough during the 1870s (4 records), 1880s (4 records), 1900s (1 record) and 1910s (1 record); and
Whitby during the 1850s (6 records)


Online Articles and Other Material
relating to the Middlesbrough Jewish Community


  • "Middlesbrough" from Provincial Jewry in Victorian Britain, including a paper by Lewis Olsover. Papers for a conference at University College, London, convened by the Jewish Historical Society of England, prepared by Aubrey Newman - 6th July 1975.

  • Bibligraphy

    • Middlesbrough - Part 3 in the "Lost Communities around Britain" series by Rabbi David Katanka, initially published by the United Synagogue's Daf Hashavua, and subsequently included in the selection of Rabbi Katanka's writing, entitled Kol Dodi (2015), p. 111.

    • other Middlesbrough Bibliography

on the Kehilat Middlesbrough website
Newsletter and Archives

on Third Party websites

Notable Former Residents of Middlesbrough with Jewish Connections

  • Rabbi Isidore Epstein (1894–1962), rabbinic scholar, author and director of Jews' College, London, served as rabbi in Middlesbrough in the 1920s. (Profile.)

  • Naomi Jacob (pen name Ellington Gray) (1884-1964), novelist and author, was born in Ripon and educated and worked as a teacher in Middlesbrough. Her books often tackle the issue of prejudice against Jews, and were based on the experiences of her paternal Jewish family who escaped violence in Western Prussia.

  • Lila Kaye (1929-2012), television, film and stage actress, was born in Middlesbrough. Among the roles played by her were in Cathy Come Home (1966) and ITV Sitcom My Son Reuben (1975). (IMDb profile.)

  • Chaim Raphael (born Chaim Rabinovitch, the son of Rev. David Rabinovitch) (1908-1994), author, scholar and civil servant, was born in Middlesbrough. (Obituary.)


Other Middlesbrough Jewish Institutions & Organisations(lxxiii)

Educational & Theological

  • Jewish School (founded by 1896)

Other Institutions & Organisations

  • Anglo-Jewish Association branch (founded by 1900)

  • Chevra Kadisha (founded 1904)

  • Chovevi Zion Association branch (founded by 1900)

  • Hebrew Order of Druids (founded by 1914)

  • Jewish Board of Guardians (founded 1893)

  • Jewish Literary Circle (founded by 1905)

  • Jewish Orphan Aid Society (founded by 1939)

  • Jewish Refugee Hostel, 5 The Avenue, Linthorpe (opened 1939(lxxiv)). Funded by voluntary contributions of the Middlesbrough Jewish community, gave a home and refuge throughout the war years, initial to 16, and ultimately to 25, young Jewish girls rescued from Nazi oppression (and near certain death) in Austria and Germany.(lxxv)

  • Jewish Social Club (later Jewish Literary & Social Club) (founded by 1902)

  • Jewish Study Circle (later Hebrew Study Circle) (founded by 1920)

  • Junior Literary Society (founded by 1925)

  • Ladies Benevolent Society (founded by 1900)

  • Ladies Synagogue Guild (founded by 1936)

  • Ladies Zionist League (founded by 1925)

  • Order of the Shield of David (founded by 1923)

  • Teesside Shechita Board (founded by 1958)

  • Young Men's Hebrew Association (founded by 1914)

  • Young Zionist Association (founded by 1935)

  • Zionist Society (later Middlesbrough and Stockton Zionist Society) (founded by 1923)


Middlesbrough Jewish Cemeteries Information

Middlesbrough has two Jewish cemeteries, both within the municipal Linthorpe Cemetery, Middlesbrough T55:

  • Middlesbrough Old Jewish Cemetery. This is a plot situated in the south-western corner of Linthorpe Cemetery, close to Nursery Lane, Middlesbrough T55. Burials here date from 1885 to 1932.

  • Middlesbrough New Jewish Cemetery. This is situated in the north-east of Linthorpe Cemetery, close to Ayresome Green Lane. Opened in June 1932 and currently in use.

For plans of the cemeteries and details of burials, including photographs of headstones, see Middlesbrough Cemeteries on the Kehilat Middlesbrough website.

Burial records of both cemeteries are also in the All-UK Database and JOWBR (see above).

(For additional information, see  IAJGS Cemetery Project - Middlesbrough)


Middlesbrough Jewish Population Data



(The Jewish Year Book 1909)



(The Jewish Year Book 1914)



(The Jewish Year Book 1924)



(The Jewish Year Book 1945/6)



(The Jewish Year Book 1947)



(The Jewish Year Book 1959)



(The Jewish Year Book 1969)



(The Jewish Year Book 1979)



(The Jewish Year Book 1981)



(The Jewish Year Book 1983)



(The Jewish Year Book 1985)



(The Jewish Year Book 1986)



(The Jewish Year Book 1991)



(The Jewish Year Book 1992)


Notes & Sources
( returns to text above)

  • (i) Reserved.

  • (ii) The Jewish Communities of North East England by Lewis Olsover, 1981, Book Two, Chapter 10 ("Olsover's Book"), p.310.

  • (iii) Reserved.

  • (iv) Olsover's Book, p.310.

  • (v) Olsover's Book, p.311 refers to a report in the Newcastle Chronicle of 26 May 1870 on the opening of a synagogue in Hill Street Middlesbrough, initiated by Maurice Levy and his son-in-law, Isaac Alston.

  • (vi) All these locations are mentioned in A Short History of the Middlesbrough Hebrew Congregation by Philip Niman, 1974 ("Niman's History"), which initially appeared in the congregation's Centenary Booklet 1874-1974 - One Hundred Years of Jewish Worship, reproduced on the Kehilat Middlesbrough website. In addition Newport Road is listed as the address of the congregation in the Jewish Directory of 1874, which also stated that a new synagogue was under construction.

  • (vii) Niman's History and Olsover's Book, p.311. The former states that the foundation stone was laid by Rev. A. L. Green of the Portland Street Synagogue (the Central Synagogue), London and the latter states that it was Rev. A. A. Green of Hampstead Garden Suburb Synagogue, London.

  • (viii) Olsover's Book, pp.311/2.

  • (ix) Niman's History.

  • (x) Niman's History and "Focus on Middlesbrough", Jewish Chronicle 7 June 1974, also by Philip Niman. Mrs Spencer was also a substantial donor to the Hebrew University, Jerusalem, and an Agnes Spencer community hall was built at Kibbutz Amiad, northern Israel, where a number of British Jews settled.

  • (xi) Newsletter No.1, p.1, on Kehillat Middlesbrough websites.

  • (xii) Jewish Heritage in Britain and Ireland by Sharman Kadish, 2015, p.233.

  • (xiii) The congregation continued to be listed in Jewish Year Books until 2010.

  • (xiv) to (xix) Reserved.

  • (xx) Olsover's Book, p.312 and Rev. Davis's listing (initially as Davies) as minister of the congregation in Jewish Year Books 1896/7 (the first publication) through 1912.

  • (xxi) Based upon his listings as the minister of the congregation, being listed as Rev. W. Hirshowitz, BA (spelled elsewhere Hirschowitz) in Jewish Year Books 1914 and 1915, and Rev. W. Hirsch, BA in Jewish Year Books 1917 through 1920.

  • (xxii) Rabbi Epstein, and subsequently Rabbi Dr. Epstein, was listed as minister of the congregation in Jewish Year Books 1921 through 1928.

  • (xxiii) Rabbi Miller was listed as minister of the congregation in Jewish Year Books 1931 through 1951.

  • (xxiv) Although Rev. Landau was listed as minister of the congregation in the Jewish Year Book 1952 (which would normally indicate holding such post in late 1951), this would appear to be an error or a post that he never took up, as Rabbi Miller died in June 1951 and Rev. Landau had already been inducted as minister in Margate in April 1951.

  • (xxv) Rabbi Kersh was listed as minister of the congregation in Jewish Year Books 1953 through 1985.

  • (xxvi) to (xxix) Reserved.

  • (xxx) Olsover's Book, p.311.

  • (xxxi) Olsover's Book, p.311 and Jewish Chronicle report of 18 December 1875.

  • (xxxii) Jewish Chronicle report of 26 June 1874. Jews' College graduate Rev. Goldstein was newly appointed in 1873 and had left by March 1874.

  • (xxxiii) Olsover's Book, p.311 and Jewish Chronicle report of 26 June 1874 (re appointment) and Jewish Chronicle report of 25 April 1879 (on move to Edinburgh).

  • (xxxiv) Reserved.

  • (xxxv) Jewish Chronicle obituary of 21 May 1920.

  • (xxxvi) Jewish Chronicle reports of 14 October 1881, on Rev. Levy conducting high holy day services in Middlesbrough, and of 26 May 1882 on his conducting a wedding ceremony at Middlesbrough synagogue.

  • (xxxvii) In the Jewish Chronicle of 31 October 1884 Rev L. Slevansky is described as "temporarily acting as reader" in Middlesbrough, although in a list of mohelim it published on 18 September 1884 his address was given as Synagogue House, West Hartlepool.

  • (xxxviii) Jewish Chronicle report of 1 July 1887.

  • (xxxix) Various Jewish Chronicle reports from 17 July 1891 to 18 September 1896.

  • (xl) Jewish Chronicle obituary of 6 March 1936. Olsover's Book, p.313, refers to his appointment as headteacher and first reader on 1 October 1897. Rev. Silverston (initially Silverstone) was listed in Jewish Year Books as reader, intermittently, from 1904/5 to 1913 and as assistant minister (jointly with Rev. Turtledove) from 1924 through 1936 and as assistant headmaster, intermittently, from 1920 to 1930.

  • (xli) Jewish Chronicle obituary of son, Chaim Raphael, 21 October 1994.

  • (xlii) Jewish Chronicle report of 25 May 1917 re move from Middlesbrough. He was listed as reader in Jewish Year Books from 1910 but was only listed until 1913. However, from 1914 the Jewish Year Books ceased listing readers of the congregation until late 1930s.

  • (xliii) The Jewish Chronicle reported in January 1918 on Rev. Bach's appointment as assistant reader and teacher. This is the only reference to him serving in Middlesbrough. The is no mention of him at Middlesbrough in the Jewish Year Book, the Kehilat Middlesbrough website or Olsover's Book.

  • (xliv) Olsover's Book, p.313 and Jewish Chronicle obituaries of 21 November and 26 December 1958. Rev. Turtledove was listed in Jewish Year Books as assistant minister (jointly with Rev. Silverston) from 1924 to 1936 and as reader (jointly with Rev. Wulwick) from 1937 through 1940. He is also listed as reader 1938-1946 in the Victory Booklet on the Kehilat Middlesbrough website.

  • (xlv) Jewish Chronicle obituary dated 11 August 1972 and Rev. Wulwick's listing as a reader of the congregation in Jewish Year Books 1937 to 1940 (there being no publication during the war years). He is also listed as first reader 1938-1946 in the Victory Booklet on the Kehilat Middlesbrough website.

  • (xlvi) Mentioned (as Rev. Kahn) on the Kehilat Middlesbrough website and Jewish Chronicle profile 30 November 1984.

  • (xlvii) Rev. (later Rabbi) Norden was listed as a reader of the congregation in Jewish Year Books 1949 to 1951.

  • (xlviii) and (xlix) Reserved.

  • (l) Olsover's Book, p. 310. The first Jew in Middlesbrough, who settled in the town in 1862.

  • (li) Olsover's Book, pp. 310/11. Mr. Alston was the son-in-law of Maurice Levy. He was to become the first Jewish councillor in Middlesbrough (1874-1876). He later moved to Stockton and, in 1905, to Australia.

  • (lii) Olsover's Book, pp. 311/12 and Jewish Directory of 1874.

  • (liii) Listed as treasurer in Jewish Directory of 1874.

  • (liv) Listed as beadle in Jewish Directory of 1874.

  • (lv) to (lix) Reserved.

  • (lx) Where a person is first listed in a year book as holding a particular office, it has been assumed that his term of office commenced in the year of publication of the relevant year book and that he continued in office until the commencement of office of his successor, unless the office was vacant. Initially year books corresponded to the Hebrew year, and thus ran roughly from autumn of one year - the year of publication - until autumn of the next year. From 1909, year books were published according to the Gregorian year, being published generally towards the end of the year prior to the year appearing the title of the year book. For example, if an officer is listed in Jewish Year Books 1935 through 1938, it is assumed that he commenced office in 1934 and continued in office until 1938. However, it should be noted that this is only an assumption and, accordingly, his actual years of office may differ somewhat from those shown here. There were no Jewish Year Book listings of lay officers (other than secretary) subsequent to 1956.

  • (lxi) P. Simon is listed as president in the Jewish Year Book of 1939, which would indicate he served 1938 to 1939, whereas the Victory Booklet lists N.J. Marks as president from 1938 to 1939.

  • (lxii) Listed as president in the Victory Booklet for all or part of the period.

  • (lxiii) Mr. Bernards held the title chairman.

  • (lxiv) Named as hon. solicitor in the Victory Booklet 1946.

  • (lxv) N.J. Marks is listed as treasurer in the Jewish Year Book of 1939, which would indicate he served 1938 to 1939, whereas the Victory Booklet lists H. Benjamin as treasurer from 1938 to 1939.

  • (lxvi) Listed as treasurer in the Victory Booklet for all or part of the period.

  • (lxvii) Listed as secretary in the Victory Booklet for all or part of the period.

  • (lxviii) and (lxix) Reserved.

  • (lxx) Extracted from the Jewish Year Book for the relevant year.

  • (lxxi) Reports on synagogue membership in the United Kingdom, published by the Board of Deputies of British Jews and which can be viewed on the website of the Institute of Jewish Policy Research. Click HERE for links to the various reports.

  • (lxxii) Previous Registration Districts:
    Middlesbrough - from founding of congregation until 1 April 1968.
    South Teeside - from 1 April 1968 until 1 October 1971;
    Teeside - from 1 October 1971 until 1 April 1974;
    Central Cleveland - from 1 April 1974 until 1 April 1996;
    (All records would now be held by current office.)

  • (lxxiii) Listed in Jewish Year Books. Unless otherwise stated, the date of formation is as given in the Year Books, or, if preceded by the word "by" indicates the date when such organisation was first listed in a Jewish Year Book.

  • (lxxiv) Jewish Chronicle report of 13 January 1939.

  • (lxxv) Kehilat Middlesbrough website.

Jewish Congregations in North Yorkshire

Jewish Communities of England homepage

Page created: 23 October 2005
Data significantly expanded and notes first added: 22 March 2021
Lage most recently amended: 18 April 2024

Research and formatting by David Shulman

Explanation of Terms   |   About JCR-UK  |   JCR-UK home page

Contact JCR-UK Webmaster:

JGSGB  JewishGen

Terms and Conditions, Licenses and Restrictions for the use of this website:

This website is owned by JewishGen and the Jewish Genealogical Society of Great Britain. All material found herein is owned by or licensed to us. You may view, download, and print material from this site only for your own personal use. You may not post material from this site on another website without our consent. You may not transmit or distribute material from this website to others. You may not use this website or information found at this site for any commercial purpose.

Copyright © 2002 - 2024 JCR-UK. All Rights Reserved