JCR-UK

the former

Barking and Becontree (Affiliated) Synagogue

Dagenham, Essex

 

 


The former Becontree and Barking Synagogue, 2016

 Congregation Data

Name:

Barking and Becontree Synagogue

Previous Name:

Barking and Becontree Affiliated Synagogue (until early 1990s)

Barking and Becontree Hebrew Congregation (until early 1960s)

Address:

200 Becontree Avenue, Becontree, Dagenham, Essex RM8 2TR(i)

Date Founded:

Formed in 1949 on the merger of Barking Hebrew Congregation and  Becontree and District Associate Synagogue.(ii)

Current Status:

Closed July 2014 (last Sabbath service was held on 28 June 2014).(iii)

As of January 2017, the former synagogue building and site, owned by the United Synagogue Trust, had not yet been sold, although there were plans for acquisition by the council for housing development.(iv)

Ritual:

Ashkenazi Orthodox

Affiliation:

The Congregation was an Affiliated Synagogue of the United Synagogue, which had been the status held by the Barking Hebrew Congregation prior to the merger.(v)

Ministers, Reader) & Rabbinical Team(vi):

Rev. S. Greenstein - Minister in about 1950.(vii)

Rev. R. Restan - Minister in about 1953.(viii)

Rev. L. Mockton - Minister in about 1956 to 1958.(ix)

Rev. L. Sober - Reader from about 1961 to about 1969.(xi)

Rev. J. D. Lorraine - Minister in from about 1970 until about 1973.(xii)

Rabbi Dr. S. Hermon - Minister in about 1975.(xiii)

Rev. Dr. Julian Geoffrey Jacobs (& Mrs. Margaret Jacobs) - Minister from about 1976 to about 1979.(xiv)

R.D. Hackner - Reader from about 1994 to about 1999.(xv)

Membership Data:

United Synagogue (male seat-holders)(xvii)

1950

1960

1970

209

204

208

Reports & Surveys

2010 - listed as having 100 to 199 members (by household).(xviii)

Local Government Districts:

The suburb of Barking is in the London Borough of Barking and Dagenham (known as the London Borough of Barking until 1980). It was previously (until 1965) in the former Municipal Borough of Barking (which was the Urban District of Barking Town until 1931).(xix)

Bibliography - London

Registration District (BMD):

Barking & Dagenham (renamed from Barking on 1 April 1989)(xx) - Link to Register Office website.

Cemetery Information:

For United Synagogue cemeteries, see Cemeteries of the United Synagogue.

Notes & Sources ( returns to text above)

  • (i) This had been the address the address of the Becontree & Distict Associate Synagogue prior to the 1949 merger.

  • (ii) The United Synagogue 1870-1970 by A. Newman, 1976, pp.222-3. 

  • (iii) Related by former congregant.

  • (iv) The Barking and Dagenham Post, 11 January 2017.

  • (v) The United Synagogue 1870-1970 by A. Newman, 1976, pp.222-3 and The London Metropolitan Archives (Ref. Code: ACC/2712/BKS) - Administrative History of Barking Hebrew Congregation.

  • (vi) There were no ministers or readers listed for the congregation in Jewish Year Books 1952, 1954-1956, 1959-1961, 1970, 1976, 1980-1994 and from 2000.

  • (vii) Based upon Rev. Greenstein's listing in Jewish Year Book 1951.

  • (viii) Based upon Rev. Restan's listing in Jewish Year Book 1953.

  • (ix) Based upon Rev. Mockton's listing in Jewish Year Books 1957 and 1958.

  • (x) Reserved.

  • (xi) Based upon Rev. Sober's listing in Jewish Year Books 1962 to 1969.

  • (xii) Based upon Rev. Lorraine's listing in Jewish Year Books 1971 to 1973.

  • (xiii) Based upon Rev. Hermon's listing in Jewish Year Books 1974 and 1975.

  • (xiv) Based upon listing in Jewish Year Books 1977 to 1979 and "Who's Who" entries in Jewish Year Books (latest 2006). London-born Rev. Jacobs (1934-2006) also served as minister of West Hackney Synagogue (about 1972 to about 1976), Blackpool United Hebrew Congregation (early 1980s), Liverpool Old Hebrew Congregation (mid-1980s) and Ealing Synagogue (late 1980s to about 1990).

  • (xv) Based upon R.D. Hackner's listing in Jewish Year Books 1995 and 1999.

  • (xvi) Reserved.

  • (xvii) The United Synagogue 1870-1970 by A. Newman, 1976, pp.218-219.

  • (xviii) Report on "Synagogue Membership in the United Kingdom in 2010", published by Board of Deputies and the Institute of Jewish Policy Research (JPR). Link to reports.

  • (xix) The London Borough of Barking, an Outer London Borough within the Greater London administrative area, was created on 1 April 1965 upon the merger of almost all the Municipal Borough of Barking with the greater part of the Municipal Borough of Dagenham. Both areas had then been part of the County of Essex.

  • (xx) The former Registration District was Romford, from the formation of Congregation until 1 April 1965. All registers would now be held by current register office.


List of United Synagogue Congregations

Jewish Congregations in the London Borough of Barking and Dagenham

Jewish Congregations in Greater London (other than East End)

Greater London home page


Page created: 19 November 2006
Data significantly expanded and notes first added: 27 April 2018
Latest revision or update: 27 December 2018


Explanation of Terms   |   About JCR-UK  |   JCR-UK home page

Contact JCR-UK Webmaster:
jcr-ukwebmaster@jgsgb.org.uk

JGSGB  JewishGen


Terms and Conditions, Licenses and Restrictions for the use of this website:

This website is owned by JewishGen and the Jewish Genealogical Society of Great Britain. All material found herein is owned by or licensed to us. You may view, download, and print material from this site only for your own personal use. You may not post material from this site on another website without our consent. You may not transmit or distribute material from this website to others. You may not use this website or information found at this site for any commercial purpose.


Copyright © 2002 - 2019 JCR-UK. All Rights Reserved