The New Synagogue

Stamford Hill, London N16

(formerly City of London, London EC3)




Page created: 18 August 2006
Latest revision or update: 31 January 2018

Egerton Road Chesidei Bobov Synagogue
The former New Synagogue in Egerton Road,
now Kehal Chasidey Bobov Beth Hamedrash
David Newman 2017

Congregation Data


The New Synagogue

Address in
Stamford Hill:

In March 1915, the Congregation moved from the City of London to a new purpose-built synagogue in Egerton Road, Stamford Hill, London N16 6UB(i)

In 1987, the synagogue building was sold to the Bobov Chasidic Community (and is used as Chasidey Bobov D'Ohel Naphtali and Yeshiva Bnei Zion Beth Hemedrash) and the much-shrunken congregation continued to meet in Egerton Road, at the Victoria Community Centre.

Former Addresses in City of London:

1838 to 1911

Great St. Helens Street, London EC3.(ii)

1761 to 1837 - Bricklayers' Hall (Buckler's Hall, later known as Sussex Hall), Leadenhall Street (opposite ), London EC3.(iii)

Current Status:

Active (in Stamford Hill), but now longer meets in the synagogue building, see above

Date Formed:



Ashkenazi Orthodox


One of the original five synagogues that formed the United Synagogue in 1870, of which it remains a constituent member.

Branch Congregations:

Bayswater Synagogue was a branch (jointly with the Great Synagogue) of the New Synagogue from 1863 to 1870.

Initially, the Gun Yard "Polish" Synagogue may have been a dependency of the New Synagogue.

In addition, the New Synagogue was one of the synagogues instrumental in setting up The Beth Hamedrash, sometime prior to 1782.

Membership Data:

In 1845 there were 185 ba'alai batim and 266 seatholders (Chief Rabbi's Questionnaire)

Number of male seat-holders(iv):























Number of male seat-holders subsequent to 1970(v):







Local Government Districts:

in Stamford Hill:

Egerton Road is in the London Borough of Hackney and was previously (until 1 April 1965) in the somewhat smaller former Metropolitan Borough of Hackney.(vi)

in the City:

Leadenhall Street and Great St. Helens Street are in the City of London.(vii)

Until the abolition in 1908 of civil parishes in the City, the eastern section of Leadenhall Street was in the parish of St. Katherine Cree, in the Aldgate Ward, and Great St. Helens Street was in the parish of St. Helen, in the Bishopsgate Ward Within.

Registration Districts (BDM):

for the City:

City of London (from 1 July 1837) - Register Office website

for Stamford Hill:

Hackney (since relocation of congregation) - Register Office website

Cemetery Information:

For United Synagogue cemeteries, see Cemeteries of the United Synagogue.

Of particular note is the Brady Street Cemetery, opened by the New Synagogue in 1761 and subsequently also used by Great Synagogues. It was closed in 1858

Also, note the discussion on Burial Registers of the New Synagogue (on the IAJGS Cemetery Project website)

Notes & Sources ( returns to text above)

  • (i) Egerton Road (about 900 feet long) runs east from the road Stamford Hill, just to the north of, and parallel with, Clapton Common. The North London district of Stamford Hill, together with adjacent Upper Clapton (to its east) and some adjoining areas, includes the largest concentration of Haredi Jews in Europe. 

  • (ii) Leadenhall Street runs east from Aldgate for about one-quarter of a mile to Bishopsgate / Gracechurch Street. The synagogue was to the south of Leadenhall Street, about 300 yards from the eastern end of the street, opposite Creechurch Lane. 

  • (iii) Great St. Helens Street (a 300 feet cul-de sac) runs east from Bishopsgate, about 500 feet to the north of Leadenhall Street. 

  • (iv) The United Synagogue 1870-1970 by Aubrey Newman (1977), pages 216/7. 

  • (v) The Lost Synagogues of London by Peter Renton (2004), page 47

  • (vi) The London Borough of Hackney, an Inner London Borough within the Greater London administrative area, was created on 1 April 1965 upon the merger of the former Metropolitan Borough of Hackney with the smaller Metropolitan Boroughs of Stoke Newington and Shoreditch. The metropolitan boroughs, created im 1900, had been within the (then abolished) County of London (established in 1899).

  • (vii) Since 1 April 1965, the City of London has been within the Greater London administrative area and was previously, for administrative purposes, within the former County of London (established in 1899).


Search the All-UK Database

The records in the database specifically associated with the New Synagogue include:

Seatholders Lists

1885 (296 records);
1899 (332 records);
1910 (244 records).
1933 (1,012 records).

For a list of other London records in the Database that may also include records associated with this congregation, click here.


Bibliography, On-line Articles and Other Material
relating to this Congregation


 on Third Party Websites

List of United Synagogue Congregations

Street Directory of Synagogues in East End and City of London

Street Directory of Congregations in Stamford Hill, Hackney and Neighbourhood

Jewish Congregations in the City of London

Jewish Congregations in the London Borough of Hackney


Other Jewish Congregations in Greater London

Greater London home page



Explanation of Terms   |   About JCR-UK  |   JCR-UK home page

Contact JCR-UK Webmaster:
(Note: This is to contact JCR-UK, not the above Congregation)

JGSGB  JewishGen

Terms and Conditions, Licenses and Restrictions for the use of this website:

This website is owned by JewishGen and the Jewish Genealogical Society of Great Britain. All material found herein is owned by or licensed to us. You may view, download, and print material from this site only for your own personal use. You may not post material from this site on another website without our consent. You may not transmit or distribute material from this website to others. You may not use this website or information found at this site for any commercial purpose.

Copyright © 2002 - 2018 JCR-UK. All Rights Reserved