JCR-UK  

 

   
 


Rabbinical Profiles(1)
Orthodox

Surnames M

Rev. M.H. Malis

Rev. Malis served as minister of Boreham Wood, Elstree & District Affiliated Synagogue, Hertfordshire (c.1959-c.1960). (Jewish Year Book listings.)

Rev. Joseph Malovany, LSRM, FRCM
(b.1941)

Tel-Aviv-born Rev. Malovany, a world famous cantor, served as chazan (cantor) at the Bilu Synagogue in Tel Aviv and in the Israel Defence Forces before taking up the position of chazan of the Yeoville Synagogue, Johannesburg, South Africa ((1963-1968). He then served as chazan of Edgware United Synagogue, London (1968-1973) and from 1973 has served as chief chazan of the Ateret Zevi Congregation (Fifth Avenue Synagogue), New York. (Jewish Virtual Library and Jewish Year Book listings)

Rabbi Bentzi Mann

Israel- born Rabbi Mann and his wife, Michal, are the part-time rabbinical couple at Mill Hill East Jewish Community, London, from October 2018 present (April 2020). (Press reports and congregation's website)

Rabbi Barry Marcus, MBE
(b.1949)

Johannesburg-born Rabbi Marcus served as rabbi of Waverley Hebrew Congregation, Johannesburg and congregations in Israel before his appointment as minister of the Central Synagogue, London (1995-2018). He was awarded an MBE in 2015 for Holocaust education and the fostering of dialogue and building bridges with Poland. (Jewish Year Book listings and press reports.)

Rev. Jacob Marks
(d. September 1920)

Russian-born Rev. Marks came to the UK in the 1870s. By 1873 he was chazan and shochet to the Middlesbrough Hebrew Congregation and officiated at the opening of its new Brentnall Street synagogue there. He also assisted the community at nearby Stockton-on-Tees. Still living in Middlesbrough in 1875, he was sued by the congregation for his seat rental while he was no longer an officer of the congregation. In 1878 he was charged with acting as a pawnbroker without a licence. By 1878 he had moved to Birmingham where he served the Birmingham Hebrew Congregation, Singers Hill, as a senior shochet. He authored a detailed pamphlet in defence of shechita. About 1890 he retired as a shochtet and undertook a business career with his sons. As a lay leader he was instrumental in establishing an independent shechita board serving the whole of Birmingham Jewry and a superannuation fund for retiring officials and their dependants. According to a colleague: "he endeavoured to improve the dire position of the Shochetim. He was their protector, guide, counsellor and friend." For a decade he presided over Wrottesley Street Beth Hamedrash, Birmingham (Jewish Chronicle obituary and tributes, 17 September 1920; "The Jewish Communities of North East England" by L. Olsover, 1980: and Press reports for Stockton.)

Rev. Sandor Meisels
(b. 1910)

Rev, Meisels (m. Najovits or Majovits) was educated at the yeshivah and Conservatoire of Music in Lemberg (today, Lviv in the Ukraine) and Vienna school of chazanim. He served as a chazan in Vienna, Sahy (today in Slovakia) and Debreczen, Hungary. Coming to the UK before World War II, he served as first reader of the Southport Hebrew Congregation, Lancashire (1937-1940) and Higher Broughton Synagogue, Manchester (from 1940). ("Philanthropy, Consensus and Broiges...a history of the Southport Jewish Community" by John Cowell, p.674.)

Rabbi Dr. Alfred Melinek
(15 September 1912 - 2005)

London-born Rabbi Melinek obtained a BA in Semetics from University College London (and a PhD in 1944). He studied at Jews' College, London, obtaining a minister's diploma in 1939, and was a lecturer there for some 60 years. He served as acting minister of Hackney Synagogue, now the Hackney & East London Synagogue (c.1940-c.1945), while the regular minister, Rev. Dr. Joseph, was on chaplaincy duty with H.M. Armed Forces during World War II). Subsequently, he served as minister of Stoke Newington Synagogue, London (c.1947-c.1951), Brondesbury Synagogue, London (c.1951-1969) and Willesden Synagogue, London (1969-1977). He retired in 1977 but continue to serve the wider Jewish community as a lecturer at Jews' College, editor of the prestigious journal, L'Eylah, and educationist. (Jewish Year Book listings and History of Hackney Synagogue.)

Rabbi Israel Mellul

Rabbi Mellul was the rabbi at Ohr Hachayim Synagogue (Edgware Sephardi Community), London, from at least 2015 until 2018. (Uniquely Edgware website.)

Rabbi Yonatan Menachem

Rabbi Menachem has served the rabbi at Ohr Hachayim Synagogue (Edgware Sephardi Community), London, from 2018 until present (May 2020). (Uniquely Edgware website.)

Rabbi Nir Menashe

Israel-born Rabbi Menashe (m. Jennifer) was raised in London and received semicha at the London School of Jewish Studies (Jews' College). He served as minister of Staines and District Synagogue (1995-1997). He subsequently returned to Israel and in 2010 became a rabbi in the Tzohar movement and a public relations manager for the Israel Supreme Court (LinkedIn profile and information provided by a former member of the Staines community.)

Rev. Lewis Mendelssohn

Rev. L. Mendelssohn, B.A., formerly of East Melbourne, served as the minister of the Newcastle United Hebrew Congregation (Leazes Park Road Synagogue) (1891-1894) and Bristol Hebrew Congregation (1894-1895), before leaving for Dublin. ("Service and Scandal" (2013) by Daniel Appleby and Bristol Hebrew Congregation.)

Rev. Meyer Mendelssohn

German-born Rev. M. Mendelssohn came to Britain in 1850. He served as minister of Exeter Hebrew Congregation (1854-1867) and Bristol Hebrew Congregation (1867-1878) before leaving for South Africa to become minister of Griqualand West Congregation. (Jews in Bristol by J. Samuel, 1997, p.89.)

Haham Rabbi Raphael Meldola
(1754 - 1 June 1828)

Rabbi Meldoza (m. Stella Bolaffi (Abulafia)) was born in Leghorn, the elder son of Moses Hezekiah Meldola, and the grandson of the Haham of Pisa. He received a thorough university training, both theological and secular, and, when only fifteen years old he took his seat in rabbinical college. For some years he was preacher in Leghorn and obtained semicha in 1803. In 1805, Meldola was appointed Haham of the Spanish and Portuguese community in London and rabbi of the Bevis Marks Synagogue. From the time of his appointment, he was a dominant factor in British Jewry and remained so until his death. He had four sons and four daughters, one of whom, Rebecca, married Hazan David de Sola. (Jewish Encyclopedia article on "Raphael Meldola" c.1906 and British Chief Rabbis 1664-2006 by Derek Taylor, 2007, Chapter 14, pp.201-217.)

Rev. I.P. Mendoza
Rev. Mendoza was chazan of the Sephardi Mildmay Park Synagogue, Canonbury, London (c.1913-c.1921). (Jewish Year Book listings.)

Haham Rabbi Moses Gomez de Mesquita
(1688 - 8 May 1751)

Rabbi de Mesquita was appointed Haham of the London Sephardi community and rabbi of the Bevis Marks Synagogue in 1744, following the resignation of Isaac Nieto. He was te father-in-law of Haham Rabbi Moses Cohen Dazevedo Ferme and died in office in London in 1751. (Jewish Encyclopedia article on "Moses Gomez de Mesquita" c.1906 and British Chief Rabbis 1664-2006 by Derek Taylor, 2007, Chapter 9, pp.115-134.)

Rev. S. Mestel, MA

Rev. Mestel served as minister of Bristol Hebrew Congregation (c.1919-c.1820). (Jewish Year Book listings, 1920 and 1921.)

Rev. Benjamin Nathan Michelson
(23 August 1873 1 May 1957)

Middlesbrough-born Rev. Michelson, B.A. (m. Lizzie nee Hart, 1900), was educated at Stockton High School, Aria College (Portsea) and Portsmouth Grammar School. He gained an open mathematical scholarship for Corpus Christi College, Cambridge and subsequently studied at Jews' College, London and graduated from the University of London in 1891. He was Jewish chaplain at Wormwood Scrubs Prison and served as minister of Newport Synagogue (1899-1902) and was visiting minister at Tredegar Synagogue, South Wales (c.1901). He then left for Australia and served as minister of the Brisbane Synagogue (1902-1903), leaving somewhat dissatisfied and returning to Britain. He was then appointed minister of the Newcastle United Hebrew Congregation (Leazes Park Road Synagogue) (1905-c.1909) and from 1909 he was minister of the North-West London Synagogue, Kentish Town and served as the temporary war time minister at the Central Synagogue, London (from 1915). He was also welfare minister to the United Synagogue. ("Who's Who" entries and listings in Jewish Year Books and data provided by Michael Jolles.)

Rev. A. Miller

Rev. Miller served as second reader of Leazes Park Road Synagogue, Newcastle (1912-1916). ("The Jewish Communities of North-East England" by Lewis Olsover (1980), p.204 and Jewish Year Book listings.)

Rabbi L. Miller
(c.1895 - 16 June 1951)

London-born Rabbi Miller (m. Bessie) was minister of Grimsby Hebrew Congregation, then minister of the Hull Western Synagogue and headmaster of its Talmud Torah (1920 until 1930). He was appointed President of Hull Young Zionists in 1920 and in 1924 was referred to as the congregation's only minister. From 1930 until his death in 1951 he was minister of the Middlesbrough Hebrew Congregation and officiated at the consecration of the new synagogue there in 1938. He also provided assistance to the nearby Stockton Jewish community. (Jewish Chronicle tributes 6 July 1951, Jewish Year Book listings and tributes on the Kehilla Middlesbrough website.)

Rev. D. Milosawer

Rev. Milosawer served as minister of Watford and District Hebrew Congregation (1947-1950). (Jewish Year Book listings and Jewish Chronicle press reports.)

Cantor Moses Mirsky
(30 May 1894 - 21 August 1945)

Born in Bialystok (Western Russia, now Poland), the eldest son of Rev. Simon Mirsky, Cantor Moses Mirsky (m. Jenny nee Hyman) was the "boy chazan" known as the "Wunderkind", a favourite in the East End of London. He came to London in 1904 and reputedly from the age of six (or more likely eight) he gave concerts across Britain accompanied by his father. In September 1908 the Jewish Chronicle announced: Moses Mirsky "left England last week for New York on a twenty weeks' engagement at a salary of 40 a week. Mr. Stoll has booked Master Mirsky for a forty eight weeks' tour in England at the conclusion of his American engagements." He also sang to Jewish communities and at concert halls across Europe. In 1919 (after his voice broke) hundreds came to hear him sing again in London, accompanied on the piano by Jenny Hyman (his future wife). Also in 1919, he won a scholarship to the Guildhall School of Music in London as a baritone and later became a Professor of Singing there. Moses Mirsky died, aged 51, in Stanmore, northwest London, in August 1945, only five months after the death of his father - despite his early fame and large following as a child, there appears to have been no death notice or obituary to Moses in the Jewish Chronicle. Online  are his rendering of Hashkeveinu and two other religious songs recorded in 1909. (Online profile of Moses Mirsky.)

Rev.Simon Mirsky
(1867 - 11 March 1945)

Born in Pinsk (in the district of Brest, today in Belarus), Rev. Mirsky (formerly Mirski) (m Rosa - Raisel, nee Steinberg) served as chazan in Tiflis (Tbilisi) and came to London in or before 1904. Only a relatively brief ministerial career can currently be traced. According to various different sources he served as reader at the Great Synagogue, Dukes Place, London (c.1911-c.1913), Bermondsey and Rotherhithe Synagogue, south London and Fieldgate Street Synagogue in the London East End and was then appointed reader, shochet, and head teacher at Woolwich and Plumstead Synagogue in November 1915, where he was a founder and secretary to the Geulat Zion Zionist society formed in 1918. By 1919 he was head of the Talmud Torah, and possibly minister, of the Canning Town Synagogue, east London, and where in June 1920 he conducted the service and gave an address to celebrate the granting of the Mandate of Palestine to Great Britain. (See photograph of him together with the pupils of the Canning Town Talmud Torah.) Rev. Mirsky was the father of Moses Mirsky, the "boy chazan", known as the "Wunderkind", and would accompany his son on his tours. He died in Glasgow (where he had family) in March 1945, predeceasing his son by only a few months. (Jewish Chronicle various reports and internet research.)

Chief Rabbi Ephraim Yitzchak Mirvis
(b. 1956)

Johannesburg-born Chief Rabbi Mirvis (m. Valerie nee Kaplan) studied at Yeshivat Kerem BeYavne and Yeshivat Har Etzion in Israel and received semicha from Machon Ariel in 1980. He also earned a BA in Education and Classical Hebrew from the University of South Africa. He served as minister of Dublin's Adelaide Road Synagogue (1982-1984), Chief Rabbi of Ireland (1985-1992), minister of Western Marble Arch Synagogue, London (1992-1996) and senior minister of Finchley Synagogue, London (1996-2013) prior to his appointment as Chief Rabbi of the United Kingdom and Commonwealth on 1 September 2013. (See online Biography on the website of the Office of the Chief Rabbi.)

Rabbi Arnold Mishcon
(1880 - 1935)

Rabbi Mishcon (m. Queenie nee Orler) was born in Slonim, Poland (today in Belarus). His first post in Britain was as reader and secretary of the Derby Hebrew Congregation (1902-1906), where the community president remarked on the astonishing rapidity in which he learnt the English language and literature. At Derby, Rev. Mishcon advocated with MPs and the local press on Jewish concerns over the Aliens Bill. He was also visiting minister at Burton-on-Trent. In late 1906 he moved to Brixton, South London, where he is credited with founding the community which was then in its infancy. He was formally appointed minister, reader and secretary of Brixton Synagogue in 1914. He obtained semicha both from Slonim, in 1923, and from the London Beth Din, in 1924 (the recognition of foreign smichot being a matter of much controversy particularly with the Chief Rabbi's office in London). Rabbi Mishcon was president of Brixton Zionist society, he was a scholar and an authority on Jewish liturgy, and he was one of the compilers of the English translation of the Babylonian Talmud published shortly before his death. On his duties as synagogue secretary, he once quipped that when being asked by a fellow scholar if he was writing anything, he responded, "yes, the half yearly accounts of my members". He visited Brixton prison twice a week to minister to Jewish prisoners and support their rehabilitation. He was the father of Victor, Baron Mishcon, a leading London solicitor and Labour politician. (Jewish Chronicle obituary 7 June 1935, reports and internet research.)

Rev. L. Mockton

Rev. Mockton served as minister of Barking & Becontree Hebrew Congregation, London (c.1956-c.1958). (Jewish Year Book listings.)

Rev. Max Moddel
(c.1909 - 19 January 1992)

Rev. Moddel (also spelled Modell and Model) (m. Ruth) was born in Posen (then in Germany, now Poznan, Poland), studied at teachers seminary in Cologne and qualified as a shochet. In 1938 he left Nazi Germany to come to Britain. He served as second reader at Chapeltown United Synagogue, Leeds, and acted as shochet in Leeds and Bradford. He then served as minister of Llandudno Hebrew Congregation, North Wales (c.1953-c.1962) and Bristol Hebrew Congregation (1962-1987), in later years in a semi-retired capacity. Rev Moddel retired to the Hannah Levy Home in Bournemouth where he still conducted services. (Jews in Bristol by J. Samuel, 1997, plaque at Bristol Synagogue, Jewish Chronicle obituary and reports and Jewish Year Book listings.)

Rev. B. Moher

Rev. Moher served as minister of Waterford Hebrew Congregation, Ireland (c.1932-c.1938). (Jewish Year Book listings.)

Rev. W. Morein

Rev. Morein, BA, served as minister, reader and secretary of Becontree & District Associate Synagogue, London (c.1929-c.1931). (Jewish Year Book listings.)

Rev. J. Murgraff

Rev. Murgraff served as chazan (cantor) of Central Synagogue, London (c.1997-c.2003). (Jewish Year Book listings.)

Rev. B. Morris

Rev. B. Morris served as minister and reader of Bangor Hebrew Congregation, North Wales (c.1927-c.1928). (Jewish Year Book listings.)

Rabbi Emmanuel Morris
(1914 - c.1996)
Rabbi E. Morris  (m. Lilly nee Clein of Pontypridd, 1938) studied at the Manchester Yeshiva and his first post was at Pontypridd Synagogue, South Wales. He then served as minister to the Margate Hebrew Congregation, Kent (1946-c.1947) and the Edinburgh Hebrew Congregation and was subsequently inducted as minister at Swansea Hebrew Congregation in 1948. He was then appointed minister and reader of the Mile End and Bow District Synagogue, Harley Grove, East London (1950-1953) followed by the Stoke Newington Synagogue, Shacklewell Lane, London (1953-1976), which he served as minister for over 22 years. His final post was as part-time minister of Walford Road Synagogue, Stoke Newington, London (1976-1986). (Jewish Chronicle reports and photo, 19 May 1950 and Jewish Year Book listings.)

Rabbi Michael Morris

Rabbi M. Morris served as minister of Bristol Hebrew Congregation (1990-1992). (Jewish Year Book listings and information from the congregation.)

Rev. J. Bogdanski Morrison

Rev. Morrison served as minister of Southampton Hebrew Congregation (c.1908-c.1912). (Jewish Year Book listings.)

Rev. Chaim Moscovits
(21 January 1912 - 27 May 1998)

Rev. C. Moscovits (also spelled Moscovits) (m. Sarah Deborah nee Nussbaum in Belgium) was born in a village close to Ungvar (now Uzhhororod, Ukraine) and came to Britain in May 1940. Heserved as chazan (cantor) of Golders Green Beth Hamedrash ("Munk's Shul"), London (August 1943-1973). (Jewish Year Book listings and data provided by Michael Jolles.)

Rev. A. Moscowitz

Rev. A. Moscowitz served as a minister of Limerick Synagogue (c.1913-c.1914) (Jewish Year Book listings)

Rev. Barnett Moss

Rev. Moss served as reader and shochet of the Darlington Hebrew Congregation (1907-1913). (Jewish Year Book listings and Jewish Chronicle press reports.)

Rev. Abraham Muller

Rev. Muller served as minister of Bristol Hebrew Congregation (c.1872-c.1879) and Exeter Hebrew Congregation (1885-?) (Jews in Bristol by J. Samuel, 1997, p.90 and the Jews of Exeter by H.Fry, 2013.)

Rabbi Dr. Eliahu Munk
(1899 - March 1978)

Rabbi Munk was born in Koenigsberg (then in Germany), son of Rabbi Ezra Munk, rabbi of a schismatic congregation in Koeningsberg and later rabbi of Adath Yisrael Congregation in Berlin. After receiving semicha, as well as a PhD in English Literature from the University of Marburg, he came to Britain in 1930. He was, for a short time, rabbinic head of Union of Orthodox Hebrew Congregations and, in 1934, founded and became rav of the Golders Green Beth Hamedrash (1934-1968), which congregation is still generally referred to as "Munk's" in his honour. Following his retirement, Rabbi Munk moved to Israel and died in Jerusalem. (For further reading, see also Palgrave Dictionary of Anglo-Jewish History (2011) by W. Rubinstein (ed.) and M.A. Jolles and H. L. Rubinstein (ass. eds.), p.704.)

Rev. J. Murgraff

Rev. Murgraff served as chazan (cantor) of Central Synagogue, London (c.1997-c.2003). (Jewish Year Book listings.)

Rabbi Maurice Myerowitz
(1924 - 2004)

Rabbi Myerowitz (second m. to Catherine, 1989), born in Prescot, Lancashire, was educated at Bolton School and at Liverpool Yeshiva. He served as minister ("preacher") at Newport Synagogue, Monmouthshire (c.1946-c.1947), as youth minister at Golders Green Synagogue, Dunston Road, London, as youth minister and Youth Leader of the St. Annes Hebrew Congregation (1952-late 1953) and was later assisting the Nottingham Hebrew Congregation (1957-1962). He went to Australia in 1963, to become headmaster of the Hebrew School in Sydney and assistant rabbi of its Great Synagogue. In 1966 he moved to Canada, becoming Rabbi of the Hebrew Men of England Congregation, Toronto, and subsequently, in 1972, Senior Judaic Studies teacher at the Talmud Torah, Vancouver for more than twenty years. He wrote a book of poems "When Everything Was Nothing" (1983) a reminiscences of his life "As The Story Goes". ("An industrious minority: a history of the Bolton Jewish community" by Hilary Thomas and John Cowell pp. 225-6 and Jewish Chronicle reports).

Rev. Simcha Myerowitz

Rev. Myerowitz was chazan for the Belfast Hebrew Congregation (1880s-1927). (Research by Steven Jaffe.)

Rev. Emanuel Myers

Rev. E. Myers was minister of the Ramsgate Synagogue..

Rev. M.H. Myers
(d. 1885)

Rev. M. H. Myers was the first minister of the Dalston Synagogue, London (1874-1885). He initially gave his services, as minister and superintendent of the religious classes, without remuneration, but was elected permanently, with remuneration, on 27 April 1879. In 1885 he resigned from the office of preacher, second reader and secretary due to ill health and died shortly afterwards. (The Dalston Synagogue - An Historical Sketch by Rev. D. Wasserzug, 1910.)

Rev. Joseph Emanuel Myers
(1836 - 1910)

Ramsgate-born Rev. Myers (first marriage: Esther nee Henry, 1865 in Sydney, who died 1891; second marriage: Eda nee Budraizke, 1892 in Sheffield) was the son of Rev Emanuel Myers. He was minister to the Wellington Hebrew Congregation, New Zealand (1855-1859) and was then appointed Visiting Minister to Her Majesty's Gaols and Asylums in Sydney, Australia. In 1874 he was appointed Chief Hebrew and Religious Instructor at Stepney Jewish Schools, London and went on to organise Jewish schools in West Hartlepool, Cardiff, Nottingham, Hull and Grimsby. He served as minister of the Cork Hebrew Congregation, Ireland (1890-1898) and the Belfast Hebrew Congregation (1898-1904) and during such ministries frequently acted as visiting minister to the smaller communities in Ireland, Limerick, Londonderry and Waterford. Rev. Myers was instrumental in opening national schools under Jewish management in Cork and in Belfast. He retired briefly to South Africa after which he became scholar-in-residence at the Judith Montefiore College, Ramsgate, where he died. (Research by Steven Jaffe, Jewish Year Book listings and information from a descendant, Dr Danielle Sanderson. See also Jewish Chronicle obituary of 18 November 1910.)


Footnotes    (returns to main text)

  1. Additional biographical information may be found in the source or sources shown in parenthesis following each profile. These were also the primary, but not necessarily the sole, source of the data provided in the profile.


Other Orthodox Rabbinical Profiles:

A;    B;    C;    D & E;    F;    G;    H;    I & J;    K;   

L;    N & O;    P & Q;    R;    S;    T to V;    W to Z.

Non-Orthodox Rabbinical Profiles:

A to D;     E to H;     I to L;     M to R;     S to Z.

Rabbinic Profiles Contents Page



Researched and formatted by David Shulman

Return to the top of the page

Page created: 30 March 2020
LaLatest revision or update: 30 April 2021


Explanation of Terms   |   About JCR-UK  |   JCR-UK home page

Contact JCR-UK Webmaster:
jcr-ukwebmaster@jgsgb.org.uk

JGSGB  JewishGen


Terms and Conditions, Licenses and Restrictions for the use of this website:

This website is owned by JewishGen and the Jewish Genealogical Society of Great Britain. All material found herein is owned by or licensed to us. You may view, download, and print material from this site only for your own personal use. You may not post material from this site on another website without our consent. You may not transmit or distribute material from this website to others. You may not use this website or information found at this site for any commercial purpose.


Copyright © 2002 - 2021 JCR-UK. All Rights Reserved