JCR-UK  

 

   
 


Rabbinical Profiles(1)
Orthodox

Surnames W to Z

Rev. D. Wallach

Rev. Wallach served as minister at the Wellington Road Synagogue, Stoke Newington, (which later became the West Hackney Synagogue), North London from at least 1928 until about 1931. (Jewish Year Book listngs.)

Rabbi Isaac Waller
(d. 23 July 1956)

Rev Waller (m. Netta) first served at Margate Hebrew Congregation, Kent (1929-1931). He was then elected reader, shochet and headmaster of the Hebrew School at the United Hebrew Congregation, Ravensworth Terrace, Newcastle-upon-Tyne. He was a trained singer who on occasion performed with the BBC Northern Orchestra. In 1946 he became minister of West Ham District Synagogue, London, and he obtained semicha from Jews' College, London. He died in office. (Various Jewish Chronicle articles.)

Rev. M. Warshawsky

Rev. Warshawsky (also spelled Warshavski) served as second reader of Leazes Park Road Synagogue, Newcastle (c.1923-c.1926) and chazan of Grimsby Hebrew Congregation (c.1929-c.1953). He was the father of Rabbi S. Warshaw. ("The Jewish Communities of North-East England" by Lewis Olsover (1980), p.204 and Jewish Year Book listings.)

Rabbi S. Warshaw
(c.1918 - September 1980)

Grimsby-born Rabbi Warshaw, BA, son of Rev. M. Warshawsky, studied at Manchester yeshiva and was a graduate of Jews' College and University College London. During the war he served in Brighton and later officiated at Bayswater Synagogue, London. In 1947 he was appointed minister of Cardiff United Synagogue, but resigned to resume studies at Jews' College where he obtained the new rabbinic diploma in 1948. He was then appointed rabbi at Netherlee and Clarkson Hebrew Congregation, Glasgow (1948-1949) and was secretary of the city's Mizrachi Organisation. Rabbi Warshaw was minister of Stanmore and Canons Park Synagogue, London (c.1950-c.1951). In 1961 he was installed as the first rabbi of Pinner Synagogue, London (1961-c.1965). He later served at the Beth Hamidrash HaGadol, Leeds, (c.1965-1966). Rabbi Warshaw was Baal Koreh at the Yeshurun Synagogue, Edgware, when he died from injuries sustained from a road traffic accident. (Jewish Chronicle various reports, Jewish Year Book listing.)

Rev. M. Warth

Rev. Warth served as reader/chazan of Hackney Synagogue, now the Hackney & East London Synagogue (c.1957-c.1958), after which he returned to Israel. (Jewish Year Book listings.)

Rev. David Wasserzug
(d. 16 December 1918)

Rev. D. Wasserwug, the son of Rev. Chain Wasserzug, earned a BA from the University of London and was a prize winning student of Jews' College, London, where he studied from 1877 to 1891. He served as minister of Cardiff Hebrew Congregation (1891-1895), forming there a Jewish Institute on the basis of the London Jewish Working Men's Club, a branch of the Anglo-Jewish Association, a Chevra Kadisha, the rules of which he framed, and an Adults' Evening Class "for the Anglicisation of foreign working-men." He then emigrated to South Africa where he served congregations in Port Elizabeth (1895-1897) and Johannesburg (1897-1899), before returning to London to be elected minister of Dalston Synagogue, Poet's Road, London (1903-1918), which he served until his death. In 1910, he published Dalston Synagogue: An Historical Sketch, on the occasion of the 25th anniversary of the Poet's Road Synagogue. Rev. Wasserzug was chairman of the Ministers' Centre at Mulberry Street which provided practical advice to those in need and hon. secretary to the Chief Rabbi's London Committee of Ministers. He was described by his friends as a man of "genial and generous eccentricities". (Jewish Year Book listings and Jewish Chronicle and obituary 20 December 1918.)

Rabbi Garry Wayland

Rabbi Wayland, who has a BSc in mathematics from Manchester University, studied at the Jerusalem Kollel, where he obtained semicha. He served as assistant rabbi (youth & young families) of Woodside Park Synagogue, London (2012-2016), after which he returned to teaching. (Rabbi Wayland's LinkedIn profile.)

Rev. Abraham Weinberg
(1869 - 19 December 1938)

Rev. Weinberg from Johannesburg served as chazan, mohel, shochet and teacher of Blackpool Hebrew Congregation (1900-1902) and the United Hebrew Congregation, Regent Street, Belfast (1902-c.1903). After leaving Belfast he returned to South Africa to become minister to the Paarl Congregation, in 1904. Rev Weinberg died at Bulawayo. (Jewish Year Book listing, Jewish Chronicle reports and death notice.)

Rabbi J. (or Y.) Weinberger
(b. 1922)

Czechoslovakian-born Rabbi Weinberger was educated in Budapest, where he attended both the Jewish Theological Seminary and the university. He survived the German occupation of Hungary in the Hungarian underground. He arrived in Britain in 1947, entering Jews' College. After teaching experience at the Hebrew classes of Dollis Hill Synagogue and Bayswater Synagogue, Rev. Weinberger was appointed youth minister at Cricklewood Synagogue and Hendon Synagogue and was minister at St Albans Affiliated Synagogue, Hertfordshire (1953-1955). In 1954 he obtained semicha from Jews' College. In 1955 he took up a post as a rabbi and principal at a seminary in Johannesburg, South Africa. (Jewish Chronicle reports of 22 January 1954 and 13 May 1955.)

Rev. W. Weiner

Rev. Weiner was appointed as reader and shocket of Dundalk Hebrew Congregation, Ireland in March 1895 and of Cork Hebrew Congregation, Ireland, in 1900. (Jewish Chronicle reports.)

Rabbi Chayim Weingarten

Rabbi Weingarten was the rab and later principal of the Law of Life College and Synagogue, Slough, later referred to as Slough Hebrew Congregation, or simply the Jewish Theological College, from at least 1945 until at least 1953. (Jewish Year Book listings.)

Rabbi A. Weinstein

Rabbi Weinstein served at Princelet Street Synagogue, in London's East End, and lectured at the Spitalfields Sinai Association, Brick Lane in the early 1930s. From 1941, he held the title Rosh Hashochetim (senior shochet) in London. Rabbi Weinstein served as rabbi to the Montague Road Beth Hamedrash, Dalston, North London (c.1944-c.1951). He was the father-in-law of Rev. Joseph Shaw of Palmers Green and Southgate District Synagogue and of Rabbi Dr. Solomon Brown of Leeds. (Jewish Chronicle various reports and Jewish Year Book listings.)

Rabbi Eliezer Simcha Weisz

Manchester-born Rabbi Weisz served as minister of the Whitefield Hebrew Congregation, Manchester (c.1973-c.1981) before moving to Israel, where he served as rabbi of the Kfar Haroeh community for thirty years before stepping down in 2017. In 2018, he became the first former UK rabbi to be appointed to the Council of the Israeli Chief Rabbinate. He is a great-grandson of the renowned Rabbi Jacob Rabinowitz. (Jewish Year Book listing and Jewish Chronicle report of 30 September 2018.)

Rev. Louis Weiwow
(1892 - 4 August 1976)

Leeds-born Rev. Weiwow, BA, (m. Myra) served as minister of Brighton and Hove Hebrew Congregation (1917), Blackpool United Hebrew Congregation (1918-1919), South Manchester Hebrew Congregation (1923-1946), Nairobi Hebrew Congregation, Kenya (1946-1949), where he had responsibility for organising Jewish life in Kenya, Uganda and Tanganyika, and Torquay and Paignton Hebrew Congregation (1950-1957), after which he retired from the ministry. Rev Weiwow is buried in the Jewish section of Paignton cemetery. (Jewish Year Book Who's Who listing and Jewish Chronicle obituary 3 August 1976.)

Rev. Wengroff

Rev. Wengroff served as minister of Whitley Bay Synagogue, Northeast England, from about 1938. (The Jewish Communities of North-East England by Lewis Olsover (1980), p.261.)

Rabbi Osher Yaacov Westheim
(1948 - 9 April 2020)

Gateshead-born Rabbi Westheim, a leading rabbi in Manchester, studied at the Gateshead Yeshiva and Yeshivat Beer Yaakov in Israel. He was a member of the Manchester Beth Din (1994-2004) and founder of Yeshivas Esras Torah (1995) and Badatz Igud Harabbonim (2004). He died after contracting the (COVID-19) coronavirus. (Jewish Chronicle and Jewish News reports.)

Rabbi Alan Wilkinson

Rabbi Wilkinson (m. Ruth) studied at a number of academic institutions, including Harvard University, University of Leicester, London School of Economics, the College of Law and the University of Greenwich and qualified and practised as a solicitor of the Supreme Court of England and Wales. He was awarded rabbinic semicha in 2014, joined the chaplaincy team at Great Ormond Street Hospital in 2015 and North Middlesex Hospital in 2018. He has served as rabbinic leader of Ahavas Yisrael Synagogue, Edgware, from c.2019 to present (May 2020). (Congregation's website)

Rev. A. Wilkow

Rev. Wilkow served as minister of Waterford Hebrew Congregation, Ireland (c.1927-c.1932). (Jewish Year Book listings.)

Rabbi Shimon Winegarten
(b. 1949)

London-born Rabbi Winegarten (m.Chava) served as minister of the Bridge Lane Beth Hamedrash (BLBH), Golders Green, London (1980-2019). (Profile on BLBH website.)

Rabbi Saul Wiseman

Rabbi Wiseman served as minister of the Elm Park Synagogue, Hornchurch, London, from about 1992 until about 1999. (Jewish Year Book listings.)

Rev S. Wolfe
(c.1883 - 28 August 1970)

Rev. Wolfe's first-known post was as minister of the Northampton Hebrew Congregation, where he formed a Chevra Torah Society in 1913. He was later minister and joint secretary of the Derby Hebrew Congregation (c.1914-c.1918). In 1918 he was at New Tredegar and, described as Minister of Rhymney Valley district, praised for his work on behalf of the forces stationed there. In 1919 he became minister, teacher and shochet to the Aberavon and Port Talbot Synagogue, Neath. South Wales. He subsequently served as the minister (and described as one of the founders) of the breakaway Westcliff and Leigh Congregation, Ceylon Road, Westcliff, Essex, (1923-c.1927) and as minister of Chatham Memorial Synagogue, Kent (from 1930). In 1936 (while still at Chatham) he was additionally appointed honorary minister to a newly-built Bexley Heath & District Hebrew Congregation, northwest Kent (now in London) (about 20 miles away). From 1941 Rev Wolfe served the Hitchin Hebrew Congregation, Hertfordshire, where he organised Hebrew and religion classes for evacuated children, conducted services and acted as secretary for this war time community. In October 1945 he returned to Westcliffe, well into retirement, he conducted services and study groups in an honorary capacity. (Jewish Chronicle obituary August 1970 and various reports.)

Rev. Philip Wolfers
(1859 - 1928)

Rev. Wolfers (m. Louisa) was superintendent at Settles Street Board School, Whitechapel, London and served on the management of Sandy's Row Synagogue, London. He began his ministerial career at Barberton, Transvaal, South Africa and then at the Johannesburg New Synagogue (1889-1891). Returning to the UK, Rev. Wolfers was briefly minister at Hanley Synagogue, Stoke-on-Trent, before moving to South Wales where he served congregations the Swansea Hebrew Congregation (1893-1899) and later the Cardiff Hebrew Congregation, Cathedral Road, (1899-1902). In 1902 he founded and became principal of Margate Jewish College, at "Rostellan", Cliftonville, Kent. He was also hon. minister of a short-lived congregation which held services at the college for residents and visitors as well as for pupils, under the name Margate Hebrew Congregation (1902-1906). Following retirement in 1911, he was active in community affairs in London and acted as honorary minister to Walthamstow and Leyton Synagogues and religion classes. He also served on the Board of Management of West Ham Associate Synagogue. In 1923 he settled in Westcliff and acted in an honorary capacity as minister for Southend & Westcliff Synagogue, Essex, when the congregation was without a minister. At the time of his death he was honorary minister of breakaway Westcliff and Leigh Congregation, Ceylon Road, Westcliff. (Jewish Chronicles various articles and obituary, photo 21.2.02.)

Rev. David Wolfson
(5 November 1914 - 17 February 2010)

Liverpool-born Rev. D. Wolfson (m. Miriam Daviat of Liverpool) was educated at Gateshead yeshiva where he qualified as a shochet. He served as minister of the Bangor Hebrew Congregation (c.1938-c.1942) and then as minister, secretary and headmaster of the classes for the Colwyn Bay Hebrew Congregation (c.1942-c.1946), both in North Wales, where during the war he acted as chaplain to the forces in addition to his communal duties. With the community’s post-war decline, Rev. Wolfson moved to London, where he served the Chiswick & District Affiliated Synagogue, West London (c. 1961 until at latest 1968). Staying  within the United Synagogue movement, he briefly served at Upton Park District Synagogue, East London, and by 1969 he had moved to Brondesbury Synagogue in Northwest London. In 1975, aged 61, Rev Wolfson took up his last position at Ruislip & District Affiliated Synagogue, Middlesex. After retirement there in 2002, he was appointed emeritus minister and continued to lead services, read from the Torah and preach on Yom Kippur into his late 80s. He was the younger brother of Rev. Myer Wolfson. (Jewish Year Book listings, Jewish Chronicle obituary, 9 April 2010 and reports.)

Rev. Myer Wolfson
(c.1909 - 8 January 1994)

Liverpool-born Rev M. Wolfson (m. Sara) was educated at Liverpool yeshiva and traveled to Shishlovitch, near Minsk (today in Belarus), to train as a shochet. He served as minister of Hastings and St Leonards Hebrew Congregation (1927-c.1928) and Aberdeen Hebrew Congregation (c.1929-c.1930). Returning to Liverpool, Rev Wolfson served both the Fountains Road Hebrew Congregation and the Fairfield Hebrew Congregation for 26 years and was later minister of Childwall Synagogue, from 1962 and he was appointed emeritus minister on his retirement. He was the elder brother of Rev. David Wolfson. (National Jewish Heritage Trails website for Hastings, Jewish Chronicle reports and Jewish Year Book listings.)

Rev. Samuel Wolfson

Rev. Samuel Wolfson
Courtesy Lord Wolfson of Tredegar

 

Rev. Samuel Wolfson
(c.1909 - 1990)

Tredegar-born Rev. S. Wolfson (m Fay Landsberg) learnt at Etz Chaim yeshiva, London. Aged 18 he was assistant reader at the Great Synagogue, Dukes Place, London, where he learnt chazanut under Revs. A. Katz and H. Mayerowitsch. Rev Wolfson served at Sefton Park Synagogue, Liverpool (1932-1937) and then as second reader and assistant minister at the new Greenbank Drive Hebrew Congregation, Liverpool, (which resulted from the merger of Sefton Park Synagogue with the old Hope Place Congregation). In February 1948, he accepted a call to become minister, reader and secretary to the North Finchley and Woodside Park District Synagogue, London, but in March, prior to his move south, he was re-appointed at the Greenbank Drive Hebrew Congregation, where he was also secretary and teacher. During over 40 years in Liverpool, Rev. Wolfson was hon. secretary of the Merseyside Council for Jewish Education, Liverpool Yeshiva, Home for Aged Jews, also Chaplain to H.M. Prison, Liverpool; Headquarters Chaplain to the Boys' Club Association; and a member of the Merseyside Hospitals Council Committee. He retired to Bournemouth and was shomer at the Green Park Hotel. Rev Wolfson was remembered in Liverpool as "Mr Greenbank" who had "a great sense of occasion and decorum and performed his duties with dignity and precision". He was a brilliant after-dinner speaker with a keen sense of humour. Grandfather of Lord Wolfson of Tredegar (Jewish Chronicle obituary 17 August 1990, profile 6 February 1948, and various reports; Jewish Year Book listings.)

Rev. Wilfred Wolfson
(10 October 1906 - c.December 1982)

Odessa-born Rev. W. Wolfson, who studied at Manchester yeshiva, served at least 10 congregations in Britain and overseas, serving initially as senior minister of Plymouth Hebrew Congregation (1928-1944). He served overseas communities at Edmonton, Canada (from 1950), Kitwe, Northern Rhodesia (now Zambia) and Carletonville, South Africa. The UK communities he served include the Wolverhampton Hebrew Congregation, Grimsby Synagogue (c.1953-c.1956), Bristol Hebrew Congregation (1956-1957), Swansea Hebrew Congregation (from 1957), Darlington Hebrew Congregation (1973-1976) and briefly Cardiff United Synagogue's Cathedral Road Synagogue (about 1976). Rev. Wolfson, who married four times, retired to Bournemouth where he died. (Jewish Year Book listings, Jewish Chronicle obituary 7 January 1983 and Jewish Chronicle report.) 

Rev. Joseph Wolman
(c.1900 - 1971)

Rev. Wolman (m. Reka) was minister of the Cork Hebrew Congregation, Ireland, from 1926 to 1937, and then left for Australia to become minister to the Brisbane Hebrew Congregation. During World War II he was chaplain to the forces in addition to his ministerial duties. In 1946 Rev. Wolman moved to New Zealand where he served communities in Wellington and Christ Church, where he died. His nephew was Rabbi Philip Ginsbury, minister of various congregations in South London. (Jewish Year Book listings; Jewish Chronicle Obituary 6 August 1971 and reports; and A History of the Brisbane Hebrew Congregation by Morris Ochert, available on line.)

Rev. S. Woolf - see Rev. S Wolfe.

Rabbi Gershon Wulwick
(c.1917 - 1 August 1972)

Hungarian-born Rev. (later Rabbi) G. Wulwick, was the son of the Rev. Mendel Wulwick, chazan of the Great Synagogue in Prague. He spent his early years in Czechoslovakia and was chazan in Prague before coming to England in 1935 (m. Sybil, 1938 - daughter of Rev. Abraham Snadow of Newport, Monmouthshire). Rev. Wulwick was first reader of the Middlesbrough Hebrew Congregation (April 1936-1946) where he commenced training as a shochet. He was also teacher at Hebrew Classes at Stockton and Bishop Auckland. He then served for two years as minister of the Netherlee and Clarkston Hebrew Congregation, Glasgow. In 1948 he was appointed minister, reader and secretary to the Heaton Park Synagogue, Manchester, where he served for just short of 25 years. He was actively involved in wider community work in Manchester, including as hon. secretary of the newly-formed Rabbinical Council of Manchester in 1964, as administrator, welfare officer and honorary director of Manchester's Hillel House from 1965 and was life president for the holidays and amenity fund for needy children. He died in office. He was brother of Mr Abraham Wulwick, headmaster North West London Jewish Day School, and cousin of Rev. S. Stern of Leeds.  (Jewish Chronicle profile 3 April 1936, obituary 11 August 1972, various reports.)

Rabbi Benjamin Bernard Wykansky
(c.1907 - 1993)

Hull-born Rabbi Wykansky, a son of Rev. Simon Wykansky, (m. Freda Lichtman) was educated at Aria College, Portsmouth, London University* and Jews' College, London. From about 1928 to 1929 he was teacher at the newly-founded religious classes in Hendon, northwest London, the children coming from the then small Jewish outposts north of Golders Green, including Hendon and Edgware. He also served briefly as first minister at the newly-founded and then independent Hendon Synagogue. He then became the first minister and secretary to the neighbouring Finchley Synagogue, London (1929-c.1932). In 1937 he was appointed teacher and secretary to the Bournemouth Hebrew Congregation, but in 1938 he returned to London to become beadle and secretary at Brondesbury Synagogue, London where he also organised the youth groups. From about 1942 until the end of World War II, Rev. Wykansky was a chaplain to the British Armed Forces. Based in north Devon, he was hon. minister and hon secretary to the Ilfracombe Hebrew Congregation, a war-time community, comprised largely of evacuees and refugees together with members of the British and US Armed Forces, conducting the Sabbath services for sometime at the Capstone Hotel. In August 1945 Rev Wykansky returned to Brondesbury synagogue as assistant minister to Dayan Swift. He was acting minister following Dayan Swift's departure in 1949. In 1950 he was appointed chairman of the council of NW London Jewish day schools. In December 1950 Rev Wykansky accepted the call of the Alberta Jewish community, Canada, but en route took up appointment as minister at Temple Emanu-El, Staten Island, New York. He served that Conservative congregation as rabbi until his retirement in 1982. He was president of the rabbinical association of Staten Island. In 1982 he was kashrut supervisor on the luxury cruise liner, the QE2. He was the brother of Rev. Lewis Wykansky. (Jewish Chronicle reports.)
*Other sources give Cambridge University, but there is no record in the University's Archives of him having attended Cambridge University.

Rev. Lewis Wykansky

Rev. Wykansky (m. Dollie), a son of Rev. Simon Wykansky, was chazan and shochet of a congregation in Hull and at Wolverhampton Synagogue before being elected second reader, teacher and shochet of Leazes Park Road Synagogue, Newcastle (1936-c.1949), also serving for a short period as acting minister (c.1946-c.1948). He was the brother Rev. Benjamin Wykansky. In 1949, he changed his name to Lewis Wyatt and was described as a managers agent. (Jewish Year Book listings; Palgrave Dictionary of Anglo-Jewish History (2011), p.1051; Jewish Chronicle reports; and London Gazette 14 January 1949.)

Rev. Simon Wykansky
(c.1878 - 25 November 1939)

Russian-born Rev. Wykansky (m. Rosa - d.1948), who came to Britain in 1905, was the father of Rev. Lewis Wykansky and Rabbi Benjamin Wykansky. He served as chazan of Dublin Hebrew Congregation (c.1908) and was appointed as teacher of the free girls' school "for instruction in Hebrew and translation" established by the Cork congregation of 2 Union Street under Rev. Wykansky's direction in 1909. He later served as chazan and shochet of Wolverhampton Synagogue (1912-1920), as first reader (and possibly minister) of Blackpool United Hebrew Congregation (c.1920) and finally, until his retirement, as chazan and shochet of Plymouth Hebrew Congregation (1920-1933) He died in Newcastle upon Tyne and was the father of Rabbi Benjamin Wykansky and Rev. Lewis Wykansky. (Jewish Chronicle reports, including report of 22 October 1909 and obituary of 1 December 1939; and Palgrave Dictionary of Anglo-Jewish History (2011), p.1051.)

Rev. M. Yagh

Rev. Yagh served as minister of Londonderry Hebrew Congregation, (Northern) Ireland (c.1906-c.1915). (Jewish Year Book listings.)

Rev. M. Yare

Polish-born Rev. Yare served as reader of Pontypridd Synagogue, Wales (1948-c.1953) and as minister of Northampton Hebrew Congregation (c.1955-c.1966) and Elm Park Synagogue, Hornchurch London (c.1966-c.1975). (Jewish Chronicle reports and Jewish Year Book listing.)

Rev. Israel Yellin

Rev. Yellin (or Yelin) served as first reader of Leazes Park Road Synagogue, Newcastle (1894-c.1901). ("Service and Scandal" by Daniel Appleby, 2013 and The Jewish Communities of North-East England by Lewis Olsover (1980), p.204.)

Rev. I. Young

Rev Young served as minister of Hastings, St Leonards and Bexhill Hebrew Congregation (1921-c.1927). (National Jewish Heritage Trails website for Hastings.)

Rabbi Yudelovitch

Rev. Yudelovitch, from Russia, served as first rabbi of Newcastle Beth Hamedrash during the 1890s. (The Jewish Communities of North-East England by Lewis Olsover (1980), p.37.)

Rabbi Hyman Marim Yudelovitch (later Yood)
(10 June 1876 - 29 August 1931)

Born in Grodno, Poland (today in Belarus) Rabbi Yudelovitch (also spelled Judelovitch) (m. Dinah Levin in 1900) was son of Rabbi Abraham Aaron Yudelovitch who came to Manchester from Eastern Europe. He was the first minister to the Southend and Westcliff Hebrew Congregation (1906-1913) during which period the community grew from 14 families to 150 members. In 1913 he relocated with his family to the USA, where he served as a rabbi in several states. Rabbi Yudelovitch changed his name to Yood and obtained American citizenship. He is buried in Bayside Cemetery, New York. (Profile on the SWHC website researched and written by Anne Marcus; Jewish Chronicle report 17 February 1913; Jewish Year Book listings; and internet research.)

Rabbi Norman Zalud

Served both Orthodox and Non-Orthodox congregations. See under Rabbi Norman Zalud in Non-Orthodox section.

Rev. Mendel Zeffert
Rev. M. Zeffert
circa. 1950

Rev. Mendel Zeffert
(20 November 1892 - 13 January 1958)

Born in Lubraniec, Poland, Rev. Zeffert (m. Allti - d.1982) came to the UK with his family aged about two, and was brought up in Liverpool. He was a student at Aria College, Southsea and Portsmouth Grammar school by 1912, and later studied at Jews' College, London. He was temporary minister at Central Synagogue, London in 1915. Over the High Holydays in 1918 he was temporary minister at the Old Hebrew Congregation, Newcastle upon Tyne. From 1918 Rev. Zeffert was principal minister of the Plymouth Hebrew Congregation, Devon, and served there until 1928. For nearly 30 years he was minister of the East London Synagogue in Stepney (1929-1958), succeeding the Rev. J.F. Stern. Rev. Zeffert was active in the Scouting movement, the Jewish Lads' Brigade and was chaplain to the London Jewish hospital, Stepney Green, and the nearby Stepney Jewish School. He also served the Jewish Orphanage in Norwood, South East London. Rev. Zeffert died in office and is buried at Willesden cemetery. (Profile and photograph provided by his son Michael Zeffert; Jewish Chronicle obituary 17 January 1958, Peter Renton, Lost Synagogues of London (2000), p.94.)

Rabbi Avrohom Zeidman

Rabbi Zeidman served as assistant minister of Edgware United Synagogue, London from about 2010 until about 2014. (Jewish Year Book listings.)

Rev. Orland Zicherman (Verrall)
(1916 - 1992)

Rev. Zicherman (later Verrall) was born in the village of Cerna in southern Bohemia, then in Austria-Hungary (later Czechoslovakia, now the Czech Republic). He studied at the Galante Yeshiva and later, for music and voice production, at Pressburg (today Bratislava, Slovakia), and was serving first reader at the Kehillas Yaakov Synagogue, Amsterdam, Holland when the Nazis invaded. He managed to escape to England where he was appointed first reader to the Southport Hebrew Congregation, Lancashire (1941-1943). He changed his name to Orland Verrall and travelled to Italy on a number of visits to study opera and learn Italian. Torn between a cantorial career and a love for opera, he became chazan at Palmers Green & Southgate Synagogue, London, (1947-1956). He then emigrated to Canada and served the Rosh Pina Synagogue in Winnipeg where he married Olga (nee Barsany), a child survivor of the Auspitz Labour camp in Nazi-occupied Hungary. ("Philanthropy, Consensus and Broiges...a history of the Southport Jewish Community" by John Cowell; Missing Pieces My Life as a Child Survivor of the Holocaust (2007) by Olga Verrall, then widow of Rev Verrall; Jewish Chronicle report 27 December 1940.)

Rabbi Saul Zneimer

Rabbi Zneimer holds a degree in politics, philosophy and economics from the University of Oxford and was awarded semicha in 1990 from Yeshivat haMivtar. In the early 1990s Rabbi Zneimer was director of community services, then for rabbinic development and adult education with the United Synagogue and was associated with the synagogue and educational programmes at Yakar, Hendon. He served as minister of Kenton Synagogue, London (1994-2000) and was Chief Executive of the United Synagogue (2001-2007) after which he held a number of senior positions in corporate finance, briefly returning to become temporary acting minister of Radlett United Synagogue, Hertfordshire (2010-2011). (Rabbi Zneimer's LinkedIn account.)

Rabbi Eliezer Zobin

Rabbi Zobin (m. Aviva) was raised in Golders Green, London, and studied at yeshivas in Israel for seventeen years, receiving semicha at Yeshiva Be’er Yaakov. He graduated with an MA in Jewish Education from London University. In 2015 he was appointed associate rabbi at the Ner Yisrael Community, Hendon, and was elected its senior rabbi in 2019, until present (February 2021). Rabbi Zobin is also the Principal at Immanuel College, Bushey, Hertfordshire, as well as head of the Beit HaMidrash at London School of Jewish Studies, Hendon. Rebbetzen Aviva Zobin has undertaken extensive Jewish education in London and Israel, has a degree in Humanities and undertakes individual teaching and pastoral work. (Congregation's website)

Rabbi Samuel Zucker

German born Rev. (later Rabbi) S. Zucker (m. Queenie Moss of Ealing, London), the son of Rev. Bernard Zucker, served as minister/reader of Whitley Bay Hebrew Congregation (1930s-c.1937) and reader of Leicester Hebrew Congregation (c.1937-c.1947). By 1961 Rev. Zucker was serving the Bellville Hebrew Congregation, Cape Town, South Africa and in 1976 is described as Rabbi Zucker of Cape Town (The Jewish Communities of North-East England (1980) by L. Olsover; Portrait of a Community (1998) by A. Newman & P. Lidiker and various Jewish Chronicle reports.)

Rabbi Gedaliah Zylbersztejn

See under Rabbi Gedaliah (George) Silverstone.


Footnotes    (returns to main text)

  1. Additional biographical information may be found in the source or sources shown in parenthesis following each profile. These were also the primary, but not necessarily the sole, source of the data provided in the profile.


Other Orthodox Rabbinical Profiles:

A;    B;    C;    D & E;    F;    G;    H;    I & J;    K;   

L;    M;    N & O;    P & Q;    R;    S;    T to V.

Non-Orthodox Rabbinical Profiles:

A to D;     E to H;     I to L;     M to R;     S to Z.

Rabbinic Profiles Contents Page



Research by David Shulman and Steven Jaffe
Formatted by David Shulman

Return to the top of the page

Page created: 2 April 2020
Latest revision or update: 20 June 2021


Explanation of Terms   |   About JCR-UK  |   JCR-UK home page

Contact JCR-UK Webmaster:
jcr-ukwebmaster@jgsgb.org.uk

JGSGB  JewishGen


Terms and Conditions, Licenses and Restrictions for the use of this website:

This website is owned by JewishGen and the Jewish Genealogical Society of Great Britain. All material found herein is owned by or licensed to us. You may view, download, and print material from this site only for your own personal use. You may not post material from this site on another website without our consent. You may not transmit or distribute material from this website to others. You may not use this website or information found at this site for any commercial purpose.


Copyright © 2002 - 2021 JCR-UK. All Rights Reserved