JCR-UK  

 

   
 


Rabbinical Profiles(1)
Orthodox

Surnames G

Rev. Phillip Gallant

Russian-born Rev. Philip Gallant, of London, served as the first minister of the Blackburn Hebrew Congregation, Lancashire, (1893-1894), having been appointed through the office of Chief Rabbi, Dr Hermann Adler. ("From Poland To Paradise Lane and Other Journeys" - a history of the Jewish community of Blackburn, by Hilary Thomas, 2018.)

Rabbi Yechiel Gallas
(d. 1987)

Lithuanian-born Rabbi Gallas (also spelled Galas) studied at Slobodka yeshiva and obtained semicha aged 19. He later learnt in Switzerland and came to Britain in 1936. Rabbi Gallas taught Talmud at the Machzikei Hadath Synagogue, Brick Lane in London's East End. During World War II, he travelled across the Home Counties to give regular Hebrew classes and provide practical assistance to evacuees in reception areas such as Maidenhead, Slough and Worthing, as a representative of Keren HaTorah, an organisation headed by Dayan Abramski. Rabbi Gallas was the founder and first minister of the Maidenhead Hebrew Congregation (c.July 1940-c.1941) and headmaster of the Hebrew classes. In 1942 he qualified as an optician and practiced in Golders Green, London. He gave regular shiurim at the Golders Green Beth Hamedrash and at the close-by Bridge Lane Beth Hamedrash (BLBH), Golders Green, London, where he became honorary rabbi of the congregation (c.1971-1979). The BLBH historian states: "although never officially inducted into office as Rabbi, [Rabbi Gallas] gave regular Shiurim, spoke on many occasions and was looked to by the members for advice." In 1979 Rabbi Gallas made aliyah and he died in Israel. He was the author of Insight into the Halacha (1973). (Jewish Chronicle obituary 26 June 1987; press reports; and History page on the BLBH website.)

Rev. David Garb
(b. c.1910)

Warsaw-born Rev. Garb (formerly Garbarz) studied music in Brussels and at the London College of Music and obtained an ALCM. He served as chazan of Lennox Street Synagogue, Dublin (1932-c.1934), Darlington Hebrew Congregation (1934-1939), Blackpool United Hebrew Congregation (c.1939-c.1946) and Witbank Hebrew Congregation, Transvaal, South Africa (1949-1956). (Jewish Year Book listings.)

Rev. Aryeh Garbacz
(c.1899 - 1986)

Born in Rovno, Poland (today Rivne in western Ukraine), Rev. Garbacz studied at Novograd, Volynsk and Rovno yeshivot and trained in chazanut. He was conscripted into the Polish army and through the intervention of the community's rabbi, was concurremtly able to serve as principal chazan at the Great Rovno Synagogue. He moved to London in 1928, bringing to England "all the style, spirit and flavour" of pre-war Polish chazanut, and worked for a short time at New Road Synagogue, Whitechapel in east London. He then served as chazan for Southend and Westcliff Hebrew Congregation for almost 53 years (1930-1983) - despite an official retirement in 1975 he continued to conduct services regularly in an emeritus capacity. He was a Hebrew teacher to generations of Southend children. His son Bernard, a  communal leader and activist, married the daughter of his colleague at Southend, Rabbi Pinchas Shebson. He was also the father-in-law of Rev. Sidney Black of Ilford. (Jewish Chronicle obituary 20 June 1986; and online biography by Rabbi Geoffrey Shisler.)

Rabbi Alan Garber

Rabbi Garber (m. Tanya) holds a degree in human geography from Leeds University and received semicha at Gateshead Yeshiva in 2007. He was Jewish university chaplain at Leeds University and served as associate rabbi of The Great Synagogue, Sydney. He and rebbetzin Tanya serve as rabbinic couple at Shenley United Synagogue (2010 to present - July 2020). (For further background see online profile.)

Rev. S. Garber
(d. c.1916)

Rev. Garber (or Garbar) served as reader and shochet at the Falkirk Hebrew Congregation from about 1907 and as minister of the Inverness Hebrew Congregation (1913-c.1915). In November 1915 he wrote to the chief rabbi requesting assistance to be placed in a Jewish home as he was terminally ill and a single man. (Online research and Jewish Chronicle listing.)

Rev. M. Garlick

Rev. Garlick served as reader of the Montague Road Beth Hamedrash, Dalston, North London (c.1927-c.1933). (Jewish Year Book listings.)

Rabbi Raphy Garson

Manchester-born Rabbi Garson (m. Deborah), who was brought up in Gibraltar, holds a degree in computer science and management from Kings College (University of London) and obtained semicha under the auspices of the former Chief Rabbi of Israel – Harav Mordechai Eliyahu z"l. He and rebbetzin Deborah have served as the rabbinic couple at Ohr Yisrael Synagogue, Borehamwood & Elstree, Hertfordshire (2005 to present - July 2020). (For further background, see The Garsons' profiles on Ohr Yisrael's website.)

Rev. S. Garstenfeld
See Rabbi Shmuel Gerstenfeld

Rabbi Ephraim-Levy Gastwirth
(9 September 1920 - 4 September 2006)

London-born Rabbi Gastwirth (m. Selma) was educated at Yeshiva Etz Chaim, Jews' College and the Universities of London and Durham was the first mazkir (secretary general) of the Bnei Akiva religious Zionist youth group in the UK. He lived in Israel from 1945 to 1955. Returning to Britain, he served as minister of Regents Park and Belsize Park Synagogue (now South Hampstead Synagogue), London (1956-1960) and Sunderland Hebrew Congregation (1960-1964). He was then appointed Director of Hebrew at Carmel College (1964-1966) and principal of Judith Lady Montefiore College (1968-1974). He subsequently served as minister of Bayswater and Maida Vale Synagogue, London (1973-1975), Blackpool United Hebrew Congregation (1976-1979) and Sale & District Hebrew Congregation, Greater Manchester (c.1980-c.1983). Following his retirement he served as chaplain to Heathlands, the Manchester Jewish care home, for nearly 25 years. (Palgrave Dictionary of Anglo-Jewish History (2011) by W. Rubinstein (ed.) and M.A. Jolles and H. L. Rubinstein (ass. eds.), p.314; Jewish Chronicle obituary 6 October 2006; Jewish Year Book listings and Who's Who entries.)

Rabbi Dr. Benjamin J. Gelles
(2 November 1916 - October 2000)

Rabbi Gelles, was born in Lissa, Posen (now Leszno, Poland), son of Rabbi Siegfried Gelles, rabbi of Lissa and later of Mönchengladbach, Rhineland (m. Annette Broza). He came to the UK in 1939 with his family as refugees from Nazi Germany. Educated at Hildesheimer seminary, Germany, he continued yeshiva studies in Liverpool, Manchester and London, obtaining semicha from Rabbi Nachman Greenspan of Etz Chaim Yeshiva, London. He was awarded an MA by Manchester University in 1946 and a Doctorate from University College London in 1974. He served as minister of Manchester Great Synagogue (1944-1946) and Finchley Synagogue, London (1948-1981). Following his retirement from Finchley, he served as rabbi in Cologne, Germany and university lecturer at Heidelberg, before making aliyah in 1990. Died in Jerusalem, Israel. (Jewish Year Book Who's Who, Jewish Chronicle reports and obituary 17 November 2000.)

Rabbi Shmuel Gerstenfeld
(1873 - 6 June 1958)

Rabbi Gerstenfeld (m. Braina) was born in Rava-Russkaya in Galicia (today in western Ukraine). He studied in the yeshiva at Klausenberg (today Cluj-Napoca, Romania) where he received semicha. He is said to have spent 12 years as minister in England (in fact Britain). A Rev. S. Garstenfeld served as chazan to the Barrow-in-Furness Hebrew Congregation (then in Lancashire) (c.1903-c.1904) and as chazan, shochet and teacher to the Abertillery Hebrew Congregation, south Wales (from 1904). Rev. Samuel Gerstenfeld was at neighbouring New Tredegar from at least 1906. The Jewish Chronicle published a number of letters from Rev. Gerstenfeld from New Tredegar on scholarly rabbinic points which sometimes provoked trenchant responses from other scholars. By about 1912 he was resident in Croydon, south London, possibly serving the Croydon Hebrew Congregation. Emigrating to the United States in 1916, as Rabbi Gerstenfeld he served at Beit Haknesset Shomer Shabbat- Nusach Ashkenaz in Brooklyn, New York City. In 1917, he was appointed a senior teacher at Rabbi Isaac Elchanan Theological Seminary, where he taught for more than 40 years. According to an online biography published by Yeshiva University, Rabbi Gerstenfeld wrote in the English language "with ease and style," and published articles in various specialist Torah journals as well as for the broader community. He is buried in Jerusalem. His son, British-born Norman Gerstenfeld, was a Reform rabbi in Washington, D.C. (Online biography; Jewish Chronicle reports.)

Rev. M. Gewirtz

Rev. Gewirtz served as a minister of Limerick Synagogue (c.1932-c.1939). (Jewish Year Book listings)

Rev. Ginsberg

A Rev. Ginsberg served as teacher and youth leader at the Southport Hebrew Congregation, Lancashire in 1945. ("Philanthropy, Consensus and Broiges...a history of the Southport Jewish Community" by John Cowell.)

Rev. Alec Ginsburg
(c.1921 - 7 January 2005)

Rev. A. Ginsberg and his twin brother, Rev. Sidney Ginsberg, were born in Aberavon, south Wales, the youngest two of 11 children and were educated at boarding school Gateshead from aged 11. Alec (m. Rose) was briefly minister at the St. Annes Hebrew Congregation, Lancashire (1943 to late 1944). In 1945 he was appointed Chaplain to the British Army, with the rank of (Hon.) Major, and served until about 1963, when the last conscripted National Servicemen left the forces. Stationed for some time in Cyprus in the late 1940s, Rev. Ginsburg was able to assist Jewish refugees detained by the British authorities on the island prior to Israel’s independence. He used an adapted military ambulance as a mobile synagogue and taught moral leadership courses with the British Army on the Rhine. On leaving full-time army chaplaincy, Rev. Ginsberg served Ruislip and District Affiliated Synagogue, Middlesex (mid-1960s) and Plymouth Synagogue (1969-1974) where he was also chaplain to the Jewish students and part-time lecturer in theology at Exeter University. In Freemasonry he became Provincial Grand Chaplain for the Province of Devonshire. He later served Terenure Hebrew Congregation, Dublin (1974-1976), Hove Hebrew Congregation, Holland Road (1977-1980), and the Old Hebrew Congregation, Princes Road, Liverpool (until end of April 1981). Rev. Ginsburg died in London and is buried at East Ham cemetery. (Jewish Chronicle obituary 29 April 2005 and various reports.)

Rev. Sidney Samuel Ginsburg
(c.1921 - 2004)

Rev. S. Ginsburg and his twin brother Rev. Alec Ginsberg, was born in Aberavon, south Wales, the youngest two of 11 children and were sent to learn at Gateshead aged 11. Sidney (m. Anna Novogrodsky in Southend in 1946) briefly served the Newbury & District Hebrew Congregation in 1945 before becoming actively involved with the Southend and Westcliff Hebrew Congregation from about 1945 until about 1956 and was appointed as its assistant minister and reader in about 1950, his title changing in about 1953 to simply reader (in both instances he was reader jointly with Rev. A. Garbacz). He was Chairman of Southend Jewish Seniors Club, took a leadership role for the Youth Club and was responsible for introducing Hebrew classes to adults in the community. He died in Poole, Dorset. (Jewish Year Book listings and data provided by Anne Marcus.)

Rabbi Mordechai S. Ginsbury

Rabbi M.S. Ginsbury, the son of Rabbi Philip Ginsbury, was brought up in London and studied at yeshivah in Israel where he attained semicha in 1982. After he married Judy in 1982, he continued post-rabbinic studies in Gateshead and Liverpool Kollel and gained ministerial experience at Childwall Synagogue, Liverpool, followed by his appointment as minister of Prestwich Hebrew Congregation, Manchester (1985-1999). From 1999 to present (March 2021), he has served as senior rabbi at Hendon United Synagogue, London. Rabbi Ginsbury serves as principal of Hasmonean Primary School and is also director of P'eir, the United Synagogue's in-house training, support and networking facility for rabbinic couples. (Jewish Year Books, Who's Who and profile on the United Synagogue website.)

Rev. M. Glaser

Rev. Glaser (or Glasser) is listed as minister of Grimsby Hebrew Congregation in 1904. In 1905 he was conducting services at the Freckleton Street Hebrew Congregation, Blackburn (1905-1907), a breakaway congregation from the Blackburn Hebrew Congregation, and officiated at the siyum for a sepher torah there. By 1908 he was serving the Dundee Hebrew Congregation, Scotland and in 1910 he was minister at West Hartlepool Hebrew Congregation in the north east of England. ("Story of the Grimsby Jewish community" by D and L Gerlis; "From Poland To Paradise Lane and Other Journeys" - a history of the Jewish community of Blackburn, by Hilary Thomas, 2018; Jewish Chronicle report.)

Rev. Gershon Glausiusz
(1894 - 1967)

Rev. Glausiusz (m. Irene) was amongst a small proportion of Hungarian Jews who in 1944 were deported to Austria for agricultural work rather than to Auschwitz where most of the community perished. He and other family members were then sent to Bergen Belsen in December 1944. He survived a deadly forced march in 1945 and was liberated by the advancing Russian army. He returned to Hungary but left in 1949 due to increased restrictions on religious life. He studied in Israel for three and a half years. In 1952 Rev. Glausiusz came to the UK to continue his studies. He was later minister at Cricklewood Synagogue, London (c.1990-1999) and was religious advisor to the Jewish League of Women. In later life, Rev Glausiusz spoke about his experiences during the Holocaust and he also created an exhibition, "The Road to Belsen", which was displayed at Brent Town Hall. He retired to Israel. (Various Jewish Chronicle reports and video of Rev. Glausiusz speaking about his experiences in the Holocaust.)

Prof. Lewis H. Glinert
(b. 1950)

Prof. Glinert was awarded a B.A. from Magdalen College, Oxford in 1971 and Ph.D. from the School of Oriental and African Studies, London University (Linguistics), in 1974. He served as minister of Watford Affiliated Synagogue (c.1980-c.1984) and subsequently pursued an academic career in Israel, the UK and USA. He has authored books for general readers, including The Joys of Hebrew and The Story of Hebrew, as well as extensive academic publications. (Jewish Year Book listings; profile at Dartmouth College, New Hampshire.)

Rabbi Herschel Gluck, OBE

London-born Rabbi Gluck, son of Rabbi Avraham Yitzchok Gluck, studied at Yeshivos in France (including eight years at Brunoy, Paris), Canada and the USA. He was a teacher at Lubavitch school, Stamford Hill, and was appointed rabbi of the independent Walford Road Synagogue, Stoke Newington, London (1986-c.2007) (after previous support for the community) and served there alongside performing a number of other public, private and charitable roles. Rabbi Gluck is reported to have revived the flagging congregation and in 1993 introduced Sunday morning classes for children. In 1991 he spoke out at the wider Jewish community's neglect of social and economic deprivation of Jews who live outside of "bourgeois" and "Becky" north west London. Rabbi Gluck was director of Lubavitch Eastern Europe, set up to support the revival of Jewish life there. In 1994 he visited Europe and North Africa approximately 150 times to support small and isolated communities, and also ran a business alongside his duties at Walford Road. He is chairman and founder of the Hackney Muslim Jewish forum. He was awarded an OBE in 2013 for services to interfaith understanding. From 2015 he has been President of North London Shomrim, a Jewish volunteer neighbourhood safety group. (Jewish Chronicle, various reports and Jewish Year Book listings.)

Rev. N. Gluck

Rev. Gluck served as chazan (cantor) of Golders Green Beth Hamedrash ("Munk's Shul"), London (c.1996-c.2010). (Jewish Year Book listings.)

Rabbi Refoel Godlewsky
(b. 1960)

Rabbi Godlewsky (m. Sarah) became part time minister of the Ohel Jacob Beth Hamedrash, Gants Hill, northeast London (known as the Ilford shtiebel) in 1996. He was the first minister to serve that congregation since the death of Rabbi Baruch Salzman in 1983. By 2004 Rabbi Godlewsky was rabbi of the Torah Centre in Ilford, northeast London and from at least 2006 until about 2018 he serve as rabbi of the Edgware Torah Centre, northwest London, providing religious services, adult education and leisure activities. (Internet reports.)

Rev. Sidney Gold
(6 December 1919 - 2012)

Born in the East End of London, Rev. Gold (m. Betty Haimovitch of Bournemouth in 1944) spent his childhood in Southampton and was educated at Aria College, Portsea. He went to Jews' College, London, where was awarded the Minister's Diploma and received a B.A. in Semitics through the University of London . He served as minister of several London congregations, Highgate Synagogue, Regents Park & Belsize Park Synagogue and Bayswater Synagogue (c.1951-1960). He was then appointed chief minister of Birmingham Hebrew Congregation, Singers' Hill, (see cover page of the service of his induction) of where he served for almost 25 years (1960-1984). Though Rev. Gold officially retired in December 1984, he continued to provide ministerial services in Birmingham until July 1986, when he settled in Bournemouth. For the last three years of his life he was a resident at the Andrew Cohen home, Birmingham. (Jewish Chronicle report in 15 August 1986 and Obituary of 6 April 2012.)

H. Goldberg

H. Goldberg served as minister of Hastings and St Leonards Hebrew Congregation (from 1928 until date unknown). (National Jewish Heritage Trails website for Hastings.)

Rev. Marcus M. Goldberg

Served both Orthodox and Non-Orthodox congregations. See under Rev. M.M. Goldberg in Non-Orthodox section.

Rabbi Percy Selvyn Goldberg

Served both Orthodox and Non-Orthodox congregations. See under Rabbi P.S. Goldberg in Non-Orthodox section.

Rev. Wilfred Goldberg
(14 May 1914 - 13 September 1970)

Sunderland-born Rev. Goldberg (m. Rose Frumkin, 1939) served as joint minister of the Seven Sisters Road Hebrew Congregation, London (often referred to as the "Frumkin Shul") from at least 1945 to about 1948. He was also very active in Cricklewood Synagogue (as a lay officer) and was one of the principal founders of the North West London Jewish Day School. (Jewish Year Book listings and North West Celebrates 60 by Marian Lebor, 2006.)

Rev. Chaim Goldman
(1895 - 1981)

Rev. Ch. Goldman (m. Gertrude Newman) was born in Bialystok (today in Belarus) and moved to London in 1904, becoming one of the first students at the Etz Chaim Yeshiva in the East End. In 1913 he became chazan-shochet at the Roundhay Road Synagogue, Leeds. Moving to South Wales in 1925, he was minister and mohel at Tredegar and to the surrounding communities, including Ebbw Vale and Brynmawr, and was known as "the minister of the Valleys.' In 1931 he was elected shochet to the Liverpool Board of Shechita and the first minister to the Sefton Park Hebrew Congregation, then known as the Hyman and Freda Graff Institute, which in 1936/37 amalgamated with the Hope Place Synagogue to form the Greenbank Drive Hebrew Congregation. He was the first to conduct services for the Childwall Hebrew Congregation over a shop at Five Ways. During the war, in Ormskirk, west Lancashire, he conducted regular Shabbat services for the troops and evacuees, and until 1946 he assisted the Southport Hebrew Congregation, Lancashire. Returning to Liverpool, Rev. Goldman and his family later moved to Allerton and helped found the Allerton Hebrew Congregation in about 1950 by personally collecting a shilling a week from Jewish people in the area and he conducted the congregation's first services. In about 1958, on retirement, he was appointed emeritus minister of the congregation. (Jewish Chronicle obituary, 10 July 1981.)

Joseph Abraham Goldman

Joseph Goldman served as shochet of Southampton Hebrew Congregation (1834-1867). His appointment caused a rift in the congregation. (Palgrave Dictionary of Anglo-Jewish History (2011) by W. Rubinstein (ed.) and M.A. Jolles and H. L. Rubinstein (ass. eds.), p.941.)

Rev. M. Goldman

Rev. Goldman served as chazan (reader) of Hackney Synagogue, now Hackney & East London Synagogue, (c.1987-c.1990). (Jewish Year Book listings.)

Rabbi Michael Goldman
(b. 1945)

Welsh-born Rabbi Goldman was educated in Birmingham and obtained semicha from Jews' College in 1971. He was the first minister of Newbury Park Synagogue, London (c.1969-c.1973) and was briefly Jewish chaplain to southern Universities in England. He then served as minister of the Belfast Hebrew Congregation (c.1973-1974). (Research by Steven Jaffe and Jewish Year Book listings.)

Rev. D. Goldsmidt

Rev. Goldsmidt (also Goldsmith) was serving as reader at the Grimsby Hebrew Congregation in 1897. He was second reader at Leazes Park Road Synagogue, Newcastle from 1899 until at least 1904. ("The Jewish Communities of North-East England" by Lewis Olsover (1980), p.204; various Jewish Chronicle reports.)

Rev. Goldstein

Rev. Goldstein, a graduate of Jews' College, London, served as teacher to the Middlesbrough Hebrew Congregation from 1873 to no later than March 1874. (Jewish Chronicle reports.)

Rev. A. Goldstein

Rev. Goldstein served as reader (chazan) of Bristol Hebrew Congregation (c.1930-c.1932). (Jewish Year Book listings, 1931 and 1932.)

Rev. I.J. Goldston

Rev. Goldston, son of Rev. Abraham Goldston, came from London to serve as chazan and shochet to the South Shields Synagogue, northeast England (c.1923-c.1933). He was the brother of Rev. Nehemiah Goldston. (Jewish Year Book listings.)

Rev. J. Goldstone

Rev. J. Goldstone (or possibly I.J. Goldstone) served as minister of Cork Hebrew Congregation, Ireland, from about 1904 to about 1915. (Jewish Chronicle reports.)

Rabbi Prof. Sir Hermann Gollancz
(30 November 1852 - 15 October 1930)

Bremen-born Rabbi Gollancz, the son of Rev. Marcus (Samuel) Gollancz, was educated at Jews' College, London and University College London. He was awarded semicha in 1897 in Galicia and this led to a long and bitter dispute with Chief Rabbi Adler over use of the title "Rabbi" (at the time the Chief Rabbi refused to sanction anyone other than himself to use such title) and the need to create additional British rabbis. He served as minister of Dalston Synagogue, London (1885-1892) London and then as minister/preacher of Bayswater Synagogue, London (1892-1922), where he had also served as assistant preacher and preacher from 1872. From 1902 to 1924, he served as Professor of Hebrew at the University College and was the first Jew to earn a doctorate of literature degree (from the same university, at which he was responsible for establishing the Mocatto Library). In 1923 he became the first rabbi to receive a British knighthood. (Reference to Rabbi Gollancz in "Story of Bayswater Synagogue" by C. Roth and "The Dalston Synagogue - An Historical Sketch" by Rev. D. Wasserzug (1910), pp.10/13.)

Rev. Marcus (Samuel) Gollancz
(c.1819 - 7 May 1900)

Rev. Gollancz was a native of Witkowo, Posen, and served congregations in Bromberg and Bremen before moving to Britain, where he served as minister of the Hambro' Synagogue, London (1855-1899). He was the author of Biographical sketches and selected verses, which was translated from German into English and edited by his son, Rabbi Prof. Sir Hermann Gollancz. Another son was Sir Israel Gollancz (1864-1930), English literary and Shakespearian scholar, and the publisher, Sir Victor Gollancz (1893-1967) was his grandson. ("Palgrave Dictionary of Anglo-Jewish History" (2011), p.348.)

Dayan Rabbi Mark Gollop
(10 July 1888 - 4 August 1950)

Russian-born Dayan Gollop, MA (m. Pearl Sharotsky), who came to Britain aged 13, was a teacher at the age of 17 at the Great Garden Street Talmud Torah. He studied at Jews' College and University College London, where he received a BA and later an MA. From 1906 until 1913, he was involved in several social, educational and Zionist movements in London, including the Jewish National Institute, a Young Hebrew Association and the East London Zionist association. In 1913 Rev. Gollop was appointed minister to the Southend and Westcliff Hebrew Congregation (SWHC). He became an army chaplain in World War I and served in Palestine, Greece, Egypt and Salonika where he was mentioned in dispatches. After the war he returned to Southend until 1923, when he was appointed as minister of Bayswater Synagogue, London (1923-1930). He was awarded semicha in 1924 and also served as an assistant dayan on the London Beth Din, becoming a dayan of the Beth Din in 1929 (until 1944). In 1930, he became minister of Hampstead Synagogue, London (1930-1944). In 1926 he had replaced Rev. Michael Adler as senior Jewish chaplain to the British Forces and during World War II he travelled to France with the British Expeditionary Force and built up an extensive team of Jewish chaplains. Under huge pressure as senior chaplain in war time, his health broke in October 1943 and he retired in early 1944. He died at Bognor Regis, Sussex. (Profile on the SWHC website by Anne Marcus; "The Hampstead Synagogue 1862-1967" by Raymond Apple, 1967 and "Palgrave Dictionary of Anglo-Jewish History" (2011), pp.349/350.)

Rev. Maurice (Moshe) Joseph Golomb
(28 September 1931 - 27 May 1997)

Born in Brisbane and raised in Sidney, Rev. Golomb (m. Valerie) became one of the first to enroll in the teacher training programme at Jews' College, London in 1958. He also qualified as a mohel and sofer. Rev. Golomb was minister at Sutton and District Affiliated Synagogue, south London, (1962-1964) and Norwich Hebrew Congregation (1964-c.1967). He was part-time minister of Enfield and Winchmore Hill Synagogue, London, north London for almost 25 years (1967-1991), also teaching Jewish studies at Jewish Free School. Rev. Golomb was then minister at Hammersmith & West Kensington Synagogue, west London (1991-1997) and also acted as the United Synagogue's minister for burials. He was father to three rabbis: Rabbi Yoinosson Golomb (of Sheffield); Rabbi Michael Golomb (lecturer at Lubavitch yeshivah in New York); and Rabbi Daniel Golomb (director of adult education and a teacher at Lubavitch schools in Manchester). (Jewish Chronicle obituary 20 June 1997, Jewish Year Book listings and Jewish News report.)

Rev. Elias Goodman
(1898 - 1980)

Romanian-born Rev. E. Goodman (born Guttmann) (m. Rebecca Starbolski in 1934), son of a senior shochet and itinerant preacher (maggid), attended the Leeds College of Music while serving at the New Central Synagogue, Leeds (1926-1927). He then served as minister/reader of the Stockton-on-Tees Synagogue, Co Durham (c.1928-c.1930) and as reader to the Ceylon Road Synagogue of the Southend and Westcliff Hebrew Congregation (c.1931-c.1940). He was subsequently appointed minister, reader, shochet and headmaster at the St. Annes Hebrew Congregation (1944-1946). In 1946, he became a Jewish chaplain to British troops in London and was possibly the Rev. E. Goodman who served the Manchester New Synagogue (Kersal branch) in the 1950s. He was the brother of Rev. Emanuel Goodman. (Jewish Chronicle reports and Jewish Year Book listings.)

Rev. Emanuel (Manny) Goodman
(c.1897 - 17 March 1959)

Rev. Emanuel Goodman (formerly Guttmann), son of a senior shochet and itinerant preacher (maggid) in Romania, was in the Medical Corps of the Austro-Hungarian Army during World War I and served as a chazan in Paris before coming to Britain. He was temporary reader at Great Synagogue, Duke's Place, London, prior to his appointment as the last professional chazan to the Plymouth Hebrew Congregation, Devon (1933-1959), dying in office. He acted as mohel to the Plymouth community and generally attended to the religious needs of Jewish families scattered across Devon and Cornwall and was chaplain at Dartmouth prison. During World War II, he was Jewish chaplain to the Armed Forces in Southwest England. He was the brother of Rev. Elias Goodman. (The Jews of Plymouth by H. Fry (2015), pp. 47/8; Jewish Chronicle obituary 27 March 1959)

Rev. Hyman Goodman
(d. February 1943)

Portsmouth born, Rev. H. Goodman (m. Millie of Sunderland in 1905) was educated at Aria College, Portsea, Jews' College, London and earned his degree through the University of London. He served as minister of Hanley Synagogue, Stoke-on-Trent (1905-1907) and the Bristol Hebrew Congregation (1907-1916). In 1916 Rev Goodman became minister to the newly-formed Richmond Hebrew Congregation, southwest London, and he launched the Hebrew classes there. However, he soon left Richmond to become a war-time chaplain to Jewish service personnel based in London. From 1920 Rev. Goodman was minister of the Hornsey and Wood Green (Associate) Synagogue, north London, where in 1938 a hall and classroom adjoining the synagogue were named in his honour (unusually while he was still alive). He died in office there in 1943. He was the brother in law of Rabbi I. Livingstone of Bradford and Golders Green. (Bristol community and Jewish Year Book listings, Jewish Chronicle report 2 July 1920.)

Rev. Isaac Norman Goodman, OBE

Rev. I.N. Goodman served various Manchester synagogues as secretary. In 1940 he was appointed minister and secretary to the newly-formed Fleetwood Hebrew Congregation, Lancashire, where Jewish children from Manchester and Salford and later London were evacuated. In about 1949 he became secretary, beadle and teacher for the Southport Hebrew Congregation. Rev. Goodman emigrated to Australia with his wife in 1952 where his first post was as Organising Director of the Bondi Jewish Day School and Kindergarten and he was later secretary to the Great Synagogue, Sydney. He was awarded the OBE in 1979. (Various Jewish Chronicle reports.)

Rev. C.H. Gordon

Rev. C.H. Gordon served as minister of Leytonstone and Wanstead Synagogue from about 1939 until at least 1940. (Jewish Year Book listings.)

Rev. M.L. Gordon
(c.1880 - 13 July 1949)

Rev. Gordon (m. Seima) was briefly minister of the South Shields Synagogue (c.1913-c.1914) and served as minister of the Southampton Hebrew Congregation for 35 years (1914-1949) and was is its longest serving minister. He was instrumental in the establishment of synagogues and kosher kitchens on Atlantic liners and figured prominently in the travel columns of the Jewish Chronicle to attract and reassure Orthodox travellers who were significant customers of the leading transatlantic shipping companies. According to the paper's travel correspondent: "Hardly a vessel ... left or arrived at Southampton without Mr. Gordon being on hand to inspect the Jewish arrangements aboard and to attend to the special needs of Jewish passengers". For instance, he arranged embarcation by Orthodox passengers on Friday afternoons for ships leaving on Shabbat. He was also a key worker for the Protection Society for young Jewish women who were at risk of international trafficking for prostitution through the port. He was the representative of the London Bet Din who worked with on-board kashrut supervisors. He greeted Jewish celebrities on arrival or departure - a photograph from 1938 shows him with the famous cantorial brothers, the Koussevitskys. His son Samuel secured work as Jewish Supervisor on the luxury liner the " Berengaria" (but died young at 22). During the war Rev. Gordon was bombed out of Southampton and he and his wife moved temporarily to Winchester where they took in boarders. Died in office in Southampton. (Jewish Chronicle obituary and tributes July 1949 and various reports; Jewish Year Book listing.)

Rev. Samuel Gordon

Rev. Samuel Gordon served as reader and shochet to the Stockton Jewish Community from at least 1881 to at least 1883 and is believed to be the same Rev. Samuel Gordon who served as reader of the Darlington Hebrew Congregation from at least 1891 to at least 1892. (Jewish Chronicle press reports and 1881 and 1891 Censuses.)

Rev. Avram Gotloib (also spelled Gotlieb)
(c.1892 - 12 December 1958)

Rev. Gotloib (m. Manea Littenberg) was chazan for the Montague Road Beth Hamedrash, Dalston, North London (c.1935-1958) for almost 25 years and served also for a time as secretary to the congregation. He was chairman and, from 1943, president of the Association of Chazanim of Federated Synagogues. Rev. Gotleib was chairman of the Zionist Association of Dalston and North London and chairman of the East London branch of the World Jewish Congress British Section. A hall at the Beth Hamedrash was named after him. He is buried in Rainham Cemetery, Essex (Jewish Year Book listings, Jewish Chronicle obituary of 19 December 1958 and various reports.)

Rev. Berl Gottlieb
(20 September 1879 - 12 April 1937)

Born in Elizavetgrad, Ukraine (today Kropyvnytskyi), Rev. Gottlieb (m. Anua Ziatman) was the son of a chazan and composer known as Yankel der Heizerike, who served at Ackerman (probably Akkerman, now Bilhorod-Dnistrovskyi, Ukraine). To escape the Russian pogroms, Rev. Gottlieb moved to the Austria-Hungary, where he served as chazan in two towns, in Sadagora (later Romania, now Sadahora, Ukraine) and then in Ungvar (later Czechoslovakia, now Uzhhorod, Ukraine) (1909-1922), in which he directed what was regarded as one of the finest synagogue choirs in Eastern Europe. In the course of a concert tour of the UK in 1922 he was persuaded to take up the post of first reader at Leazes Park Road Synagogue, Newcastle (1923-c.1931). He is said to have attracted standing room only attendances at the synagogue. He died in Newcastle and is buried at Hazelrigg cemetery. He was the father of Rev. (later Dr.) Isaac Gottlieb who for a time assisted him as second reader at Leazes Park Road synagogue. (Profile on the website of Rabbi Geoffrey Shisler, based on an article written by Rabbi M.M. Baddiel.)

Rev. Isaac (Jack) Gottlieb
(d. December 1995)

Rev. I. Gottlieb, later Dr. I. Gottlieb, served as the second reader of Leazes Park Road Synagogue, Newcastle (c.1926-1928) assisting his father, Rev. Berl Gottlieb. He then served the Southport Hebrew Congregation, Lancashire, as chazan and shochet (1928-1932). Having moved to London he did not pursue a ministerial career. In 1977 he edited Hakol Kol Yaakov, the musical compositions of his grandfather, known as Yankel der Heizerike, who served as a chazan in Ukraine. Dr. Gottlieb visited Ethiopia in the 1960s and 1970s to study and record the music of the Ethiopian Jews. He died in London and is buried at the Western Cemetery, Cheshunt. (Jewish Year Book listings and various press reports.)

Rev. Isaac Gould
(1 October 1904 - 1974)

Leeds-born Rev. Gould (m. Rachel, Leeds 1930) studied at Manchester Yeshiva and served as second reader and secretary for the St. Annes Hebrew Congregation (1956-1974) and was Jewish chaplain to the local hospital and prison. (Jewish Chronicle obituary of 4 October 1974 and communication from family.)

Rabbi Nathan Granevitz
(d. 2000)

Rabbi Granevitz (m. Zipporah) was born in Bnei Brak during the British Mandate of Palestine and obtained semicha at a Bnei Brak Yeshiva in 1957. He also qualified in law at Bar Ilan University and practiced in the Rabbinical courts in Israel, as well as working as a journalist and religious educator.  He moved to Britain and served as rabbi to the Belfast Hebrew Congregation (1983-1988). In 1988 he returned to Israel where he died in Petach Tikvah. (Research by Steven Jaffe.)

Rev. Chaim Graniewitz
(25 December 1930 - 31 January 2008)

Born in Morfengen, East Prussia, Rev. Graniewitz went to British Mandate Palestine with his family in 1933. He was active in the Haganah as a youth and fought in Israel's War of Independence, and was held by Egyptian forces as a prisoner of war (1948-9). He came to London in 1958 as chazan of the West End Great Synagogue, Dean street, Soho and was occasional guest chazan at the Central Synagogue in Great Portland Street. In 1973 Rev Graniewitz became reader-chazan for the large Stanmore and Canons Park District Synagogue, London (1973-1995). In addition to communal and youth work in Stanmore, he was a visitor to the residents at the Jewish Welfare Board’s home in Hemel Hempstead. He retired to Israel in 1995 and is buried in Jerusalem. (Jewish Year Book listings; Jewish Chronicle obituary 14 March 2008; Recording; and an online tribute video.)

Rev. Jack Grant
(c.1907 - 3 March 1993)

Rev. Grant (m. Hilda) was educated at the Jews' Free School and at the Etz Chaim Yeshiva, London. His first appointment was as chazan-shochet to the Swansea Hebrew Congregation, followed by a similar post at Bristol. Rev Grant served the Kingsbury District Synagogue, London, as reader for almost 25 years before retiring in 1973 and becoming the congregation's emeritus reader. (Jewish Chronicle report 24 August 1973; Jewish Year Book listings.) [Not to be confused with his contemporary, also Rev Jack Grant, who served at Newton Mearns Synagogue, Glasgow.]

Rev. Aaron Levy Green
(August 1821 - 11 March 1883)

Rev. Green (m. Phoebe Levy, 1844), who was born in London's East End, was educated in the Talmud Torah section of London's Jews' Free School. He served as minister of Bristol Synagogue (1838-1851) and then as second reader of the Great Synagogue, Dukes Place, London (1851-1854). Following the establishment by the Great Synagogue of a branch synagogue in the London's West End, which became the Central Synagogue, Rev. Green was appointed as its second reader in 1854 and was elected reader and preacher the following year. At the time the principal Jewish spiritual leader of a congregation was generally referred to as a reader rather than a minister, although Rev. Green was later referred to as minister, and was the first minister of the Central Synagogue, serving until his death in 1883. Rev. Green was one of the earliest English-born Jewish preachers and one of the leading Anglo-Jewish clergymen of his generation. He played a leading role in the establishment and development of Jews' College and the Anglo Jewish Association and it was at his initiative that both the United Synagogue and Board of Guardians established Visitation Committees. He wrote regularly as Nemo for the Jewish Chronicle and was highly regarded for his geniality and wit. ("The Lost Synagogues of London" by Peter Renton, pp.73/6; "Rev Aaron Levy Green" by Alex M Jacob in Transactions & Miscellanies - JHSE, Vol. 25, 1973-1975, pp. 87-106.)

Rev. Alan Greenbat
(2 April 1929 - 18 April 2019)

London-born Rev. Greenbat, who studied for a ministerial diploma at Jews' College, London, held a number of senior positions in Anglo-Jewry. These included warden (director) of the Victoria Boy' & Girls' Club, Stamford Hill, London (mid-1950s to mid-1970s), vice-principal of the Jewish Orphanage at Norwood (1955-1961) and vice-president of the Association for Jewish Youth (1989-1996). He had a close relationship with the Hackney & East London Synagogue as a frequent visiting minister and serving (c.1997-c.1998) as its part-time minister. He was later appointed director of the Office of the Chief Rabbi (1990-1991) and served as its honorary consultant from 1995 to 2012. In 2000, he was awarded the OBE for services to interfaith dialogue and to young people. (For further background, see on-line obituary by Geoffrey Alderman.)

Rabbi Akiva Greenberg

Rabbi Greenberg served as minister at the West Hackney Synagogue, North London from about 1976 until about 1994. He was later minister at South Tottenham Synagogue from about 1997 to about 2001. (Jewish Year Book listngs and Jewish Chronicle press report.)

Rev. Harold Greenberg
(d. 1965)

Rev. Greenberg was minister at the Coventry Hebrew Congregation from late 1954 until 1959. He later served as minister of Whitley Bay Synagogue, northeast England, from about 1960 until 1965. He was the brother-in-law of Rabbi Moshe Turetsky of Sunderland. (Jewish Year Book listings; Jewish Chronicle obituary 12 November and 3 December 1965.)

Rabbi Yisrael Meir Greenberg

Rabbi Greenberg, who studied at Gateshead Kollel for 14 years, serves as rav of Golders Green Beth Hamedrash ("Munk's Shul"), London (2007 to present - August 2020). (Jewish Year Book listings.)

Rev. Solomon Greenstein
(1 July 1912 - 21 November 2011)

Born in the East End of London, Rev. Greenstein (m. Esther Mechulam of Wallasey, in 1952) was the son of Rabbi Alter Natan Greenstein. He served as youth minister at Brixton Synagogue, London, and as minister of Barking & Becontree Hebrew Congregation, London (c.1950-c.1951). He then briefly served the Merthyr Tydfil Hebrew Conhregation, south Wales, followed by his appointment as minister of Fulham and Kensington Synagogue (c.1951-1954). He was briefly chazan at the Southport Hebrew Congregation, Lancashire (c.1954-1956) before being appointed minister of Stoke on Trent Hebrew Congregation (c.1956-c.1962). He then served as minister of Coventry Hebrew Congregation (1963-1964) and Birkenhead Hebrew Congregation (1965-c.1973) and his last post was at Fairfield Synagogue, Liverpool, where he served from about 1974 until the synagogue's closure (c. 1977). In addition, at one stage he served as a shochet in Cardiff. In his younger years he was a keen boxer and swimmer. He died in Liverpool. (Jewish Telegraph, Liverpool edition, 25 November 2011, Jewish Chronicle reports and online profiles.)

Rev. G. Greyewsky

Rev. Greyewsky (also spelled Grawesky) served as minister of Wrexham Hebrew Congregation, North Wales (c.1917-c.1924) and Bangor Hebrew Congregation, North Wales (c.1918-c.1920). (Jewish Year Book listings.)

Rev. Samuel Gross, BA
(c.1892 - 31 May 1924)

Born in London's East End, Rev Gross (m. Millie Joseph) studied at Jews' College, London and was awarded a BA at London University in 1913, where he was Hollier Hebrew scholar. He served as minister of Hull Western Synagogue (1913-1920) and founded the Hull Zionist Association and Hull Young Zionist Society. In 1920 he was appointed minister at Dalston Synagogue, London. He obtained semicha in 1923 but died in office at Dalston the following year, aged 32. The very extensive tributes to Rabbi Gross in the Jewish press attest to his standing in the Orthodox community. (Jewish Chronicle obituary 6 June 1924 and various tributes.)

Rev. B. Grossbaum

Rev. Grossbaum served as minister of the Southampton Hebrew Congregation (1872-1874). By July 1874 he was serving the Hull (Old) Hebrew Congregation where in addition to other duties he was master of the Hebrew schools. In 1877 Rev. Grossbaum was in Sheffield. (Jewish Chronicle reports.)

Rev. M.O. Grosskopf
(d. 1903)

Rev. Grosskopf served as minister at the Thornton-Cleveleys Synagogue, Lancanshire, from 1941 until about 1947. He is believed to be Morris Osias Grosskopf, who became an educational pioneer and organiser in Manchester, who was founding governor of Hubert Jewish High School for Girls and Prestwich Jewish Day school. (Jewish Chronicle obituary of 8 April 1983 and other reports; and Jewish Year Book listings.)

Rabbi Ephraim Groundland
(1932 - 2009)

Glasgow-born Rev. (later Rabbi) Groundland (m. Chana Warner), was educated at Glasgow yeshiva and at Gateshead where he attended the boarding school and yeshiva. He served as minister at the Stockport Hebrew Congregation, then in Cheshire, (1953-c.1957) and as a reader at the Edinburgh Hebrew Congregation (1957-c.1959). He was a minister at the Higher Prestwich Hebrew Congregation, Manchester (1959-1976) followed by Southport Hebrew Congregation, Merseyside (1976-1981). Rabbi Groundland retired to Israel, was active as an international speaker and fundraiser for the Pe'ilim and Yad Le'Achim charitable organisations, and is buried on the Mount of Olives in Jerusalem. ("Philanthropy, Consensus and Broiges...a history of the Southport Jewish Community" by John Cowell, p597, Jewish Chronicle report 20 February 2009, obituary in ESRA magazine (no. 151) and Jewish Year Book listings.)

Rabbi B. Grun

Rabbi Grun has served as the rabbi at the Tiferes Yisroel minyan, Edgware, London from at least 2015 until present (May 2021). (Uniquely Edgware website.)

Rabbi Joey Grunfeld

Rabbi Grunfeld is the founder and National Director of seed, London (2005 to present - May 2021). (Seed website.)

Rev. Hirsch or Herman (Harry) Grunis
(c. 1906 - 9 February 1963)

Rev. Grunis (m. Nora), son of Rabbi Asher Grunis of Cardiff, was educated at Etz Chaim Yeshiva, London. He served as minister, shochet and teacher at Tonypandy Synagogue, South Wales (from 1929) and then as minister and reader of Bangor Hebrew Congregation, North Wales (c.1931-c.1933). He then took up a position as a shochet in London. and later became a businessman in south London, At the time of his death was a prominent member of Brixton Synagogue. (Jewish Year Book listings and Jewish Chronicle reports, including obituary 1 March 1963.)

Rabbi Ephraim Guttentag

Manchester-born Rabbi E. Guttentag (m. Malki) grew up in Gateshead and studied at yeshiva in Israel, where he received semicha. He was student chaplain for the Manchester region with the University Jewish Chaplaincy service. He was rabbi of the St. Annes Hebrew Congregation (2014-2018). In August 2018, he and Rebbetzen Malki were appointed community rabbi and rebbetzen at Hampstead Garden Suburb Synagogue, London, serving until July 2021. From August 2021, Rabbi and Rebbetzen Guttentag will take up the position of senior rabbinic couple at Whitefield Hebrew Congregation, Manchester, where Rabbi Guttentag's uncle, Rabbi Jonathan Guttentag, was previously rabbi. (Jewish Chronicle reports.)

Rabbi Jonathan Guttentag

Newcastle-born Rabbi J. Guttentag (m. Debbie) was educated at yeshivot in Gateshead and Jerusalem, and obtained BA at Jews' College, London. He served as the minister of Southport Hebrew Congregation (1984-1987) and Whitefield Hebrew Congregation, Manchester (c.1987 to September 2020) and was Chair of trustees of Whitefield Community Kollel since its foundation in 1991. He is the father of Rabbi Yisroel Moshe Guttentag and uncle of Rabbi Ephraim Guttentag. ("Philanthropy, Consensus and Broiges...a history of the Southport Jewish Community" by John Cowell, p.649, Charity Commission website; Jewish Chronicle portrait 13 March 1987; Jewish Year Book listings and personal communication.)

Rabbi Yisroel Moshe Guttentag

Rabbi Y. Guttentag is the son of Rabbi Jonathan Guttentag and a son-in-law of the Rosh Beis Din of the Federation of Synagogue, Dayan Yisroel Yaakov Lichtenstein. He studied at Gateshead Yeshiva and Yeshivas Mir Yerushalayim and later learnt in kollel in Israel, where he received semicha. In July 2017, he joined the Federation’s kashrus department as Rabbinic Coordinator, with a focus on product certification in the United Kingdom and beyond. (Federation of Synagogues website.)


Footnotes    (returns to main text)

  1. Additional biographical information may be found in the source or sources shown in parenthesis following each profile. These were also the primary, but not necessarily the sole, source of the data provided in the profile.


Other Orthodox Rabbinical Profiles:

A;    B;    C;    D & E;    F;    H;    I & J;    K;    L;   

M;    N & O;    P & Q;    R;    S;    T to V;    W to Z.

Non-Orthodox Rabbinical Profiles:

A to D;     E to H;     I to L;     M to R;     S to Z.

Rabbinic Profiles Contents Page



Research by David Shulman and Steven Jaffe
Formatted by David Shulman

Return to the top of the page

Page created: 30 March 2020
Latest revision or update: 27 July 2021


Explanation of Terms   |   About JCR-UK  |   JCR-UK home page

Contact JCR-UK Webmaster:
jcr-ukwebmaster@jgsgb.org.uk

JGSGB  JewishGen


Terms and Conditions, Licenses and Restrictions for the use of this website:

This website is owned by JewishGen and the Jewish Genealogical Society of Great Britain. All material found herein is owned by or licensed to us. You may view, download, and print material from this site only for your own personal use. You may not post material from this site on another website without our consent. You may not transmit or distribute material from this website to others. You may not use this website or information found at this site for any commercial purpose.


Copyright © 2002 - 2021 JCR-UK. All Rights Reserved