JCR-UK

Kingsbury Synagogue

Kingsbury, London NW9

 

 

 

 

 
JCR-UK is a genealogical and historical website. It is not the official website of this congregation.

Kingsbury Synagogue

Kingsbury Synagogue, June 2018
© David Shulman 2018

 Congregation Data

Name:

Kingsbury Synagogue

Former Name:

Kingsbury District Synagogue (until late 1970s)

Address:

Hool Lane 

Hool Close, Kingsbury Green, London NW9 8XR
("Hool Close" was added to the address in about 2005, in honour of Rabbi Hool, following his retirement - see list below.)

The congregation's address had previously been "Eden Lodge", Kingsbury Road, London NW9.

(This was acquired during World War II and served as both a synagogue and Hebrew classes. In about 1947 the first Kingsbury Synagogue was built in what became the Louis Domb Hall, and which now houses a school. Eden Lodge was demolished in 1966 and the following year the present synagogue was built.(i))

Current Status:

Active

Date Formed:

1934(ii)

Ritual:

Ashkenazi Orthodox

Affiliation:

An affiliated synagogue of the United Synagogue from 1936, becoming a district synagogue in 1948(iii), and subsequently became constituent synagogue.

Website:

http://www.brijnet.org/kingsyn/

Ministers & Rabbinical Team:

Rabbi Eliezer Simcha Rabinowitz - 1934 to 1938 (see Letter of Reference for Rabbi Rabinowitz)(iv)

Rev. Percy Selvyn Goldberg - about 1938-1940(v)

Rev. H. Karwan - from at least 1945 to about 1948(vi)

Rev. Isaac Newman - from about 1948 until about 1950(vii)

Rabbi Chaim Joshua Cooper - from 1951 until 1957(viii)

Rabbi Maurice Hool - from 1959 until 2004(ix)

Rabbi Zvi Cohen (& Rebbetzen Rivky Cohen) - from 2004 to present (December 2018)(x)

Readers (Cantors):

Rev. J. Grant -  from about 1953 until about 1973(xii)

Rev. R. Rothstein -  from about 1973 until about 1998(xiii)

Membership Data:

United Synagogue (male seat-holders)(xv)

1936

1940

1950

1960

1970

38

67

375

555

545

Reports & Surveys(xvi)

2010 - listed as having 200 to 299 members (by household)

2016 - listed as having 100 to 199 members (by household)

Charitable Status:

As a constituent of the United Synagogue, the congregation operates within that organisation's registered charity status (registered charity no. 242552).

However, the congregation has its own general charitable trust - Kingbury Jewish Community Trust, a registered charity (no. 802647), registered on 8 January 1990. The governing document is a Trust Deed dated 28 November 1989.(xvii)

Local Government District:

The suburb of Kingsbury in Northwest London is within the London Borough of Brent(xviii) and was (until 1965) in the former former Municipal Borough of Wembley (which was an urban district from 1894, being incorporated as a borough in 1937) in the former County of Middlesex.

Bibliography -  Brent

Registration District (BMD):

Brent(xix) - Register Office website

Cemetery
Information:

For United Synagogue cemeteries, see Cemeteries of the United Synagogue.

Notes & Sources ( returns to text above)

  • (i) Congregation's website, accessed 8 April 2018. 

  • (ii) A letter from secretary of congregation dated 22 April 1937 (see below under Rabbi Rabinowitz) refers to the congregation having been established three years previously. The congregation was not listed in Jewish Year Books until 1939. 

  • (iii) The United Synagogue 1870-1970 by Aubrey Newman (1977), pages 221/2. 

  • (iv) Rabbi Rabinowitz's letter of reference dated 22 April 1937 refers to his connection with the congregation since the date of its inception, three years earlier. His period of service at Kingsbury is confirmed by family members. Edinburgh-born Rabbi Rabinowitz (1913-1986) subsequently served as minister of the Old Hebrew Congregation, Newcastle (1938-46), minister of Hull Western Synagogue (1953-56), communal rabbi for Hull (1956-59) and minister of Yeshurum Hebrew Congregation, Gatley, Manchester (1965-76), Bayswater & Maida Vale Synagogue (1965) and Hale & District Hebrew Congregation (1980-82) and was also a minister of the Green & Seapoint Hebrew Congregation, Cape Town and Dayan to the Beth Din in Cape Town (1959-65). 

  • (v) The Manchester Congregation of British Jews 1857-1957 by Rabbi P. Selvin Goldberg, Ch. XII, p.88. (Ch. XII by Dr. Benjamin Portnoy.) Sunderland-born Rev. (later Rabbi) Goldberg (1917-1981) previously served as assistant minister of South Tottenham Hebrew Congregation (about 1938) and was subsequently minister of Manchester Reform Synagogue (1940-1974). 

  • (vi) Based upon Rev.Karwan's listing in Jewish Year Books 1945/6 through 1948. The Jewish Year Book was not published during the war years. 

  • (vii) Based upon Rev Newman's listing as minister of the congregation in Jewish Year Books 1949 and 1950 and "Who's Who" entries in various Jewish Year Books (1960s to 1990s). London-born Rev. (later Rabbi) Newman (1924-2011) was previously headmaster of Notting Hill Hebrew Classes and subsequently served as minister to St Albans Hebrew Congregation (early-mid 1950s), Dalston Synagogue (1958-66) and Barnet & District Affiliated Synagogue (from at least 1970 to about 1989). 

  • (viii) Based upon "Who's Who" entries in Jewish Year Books (1960s to 1999). London-born Rabbi Cooper (1917-1999) previously served as minister to Catford Synagogue (1937-45), was principal of Aria College, Southsea (1945-51) and subsequently served as minister to Adelaide Hebrew Congregation (1958-1959) and then moved to Hull, initially as Communal Rabbi, and later as minister of the Hull Old Hebrew Congregation

  • (ix) Based upon Rabbi Hool's listing in Jewish Year Books (1960 through 2005) and Congregation's website, last accessed 8 April 2018. 

  • (x) Congregation's website, last accessed 27 December 2018. 

  • (xi) Reserved.

  • (xii) Based upon Rev. Grant's listing in Jewish Year Books from 1954 through 1973. 

  • (xiii) Based upon Rev. Rothstein's listing in Jewish Year Books from 1974 through 1998.

  • (xiv) Reserved.

  • (xv) The United Synagogue 1870-1970 by Aubrey Newman (1977), pages 216/7.

  • (xvi) Reports on "Synagogue Membership in the United Kingdom in 2010" and "...in 2016", published by BOD and JPR. Link to reports.

  • (xvii) Charities Commissioners website (in beta test stage) and Open Charities website, both accessed 8 April 2018. 

  • (xviii) The London Borough of Brent, an Outer London Borough within the Greater London administrative area, was created on 1 April 1965 upon the merger of the Municipal Boroughs of Willesden and Wembley (both of which had been in the former county of Middlesex). 

  • (xix) The Registration District was renamed from Willesden on 1 April 1965, having been the registration distrct since the formation of the congregation. 


List of United Synagogue Congregations

Jewish Congregations in the London Borough of Brent

Jewish Congregations in Greater London

Greater London home page

Page created: 16 November 2006
Data significantly expanded and notes first added: 8 April 2018
Latest revision or update: 27 December 2018


Explanation of Terms   |   About JCR-UK  |   JCR-UK home page

Contact JCR-UK Webmaster:
jcr-ukwebmaster@jgsgb.org.uk
(Note: This is to contact JCR-UK, not the above Congregation)

JGSGB  JewishGen


Terms and Conditions, Licenses and Restrictions for the use of this website:

This website is owned by JewishGen and the Jewish Genealogical Society of Great Britain. All material found herein is owned by or licensed to us. You may view, download, and print material from this site only for your own personal use. You may not post material from this site on another website without our consent. You may not transmit or distribute material from this website to others. You may not use this website or information found at this site for any commercial purpose.


Copyright © 2002 - 2019 JCR-UK. All Rights Reserved