JCR-UK

the former

Sharei Zion Beth Hamedrash

formerly Seven Sisters Road Hebrew Congregation

("Frumkin Beth Hamedrash")

London N4

 

 

   

JCR-UK is a genealogical and historical website covering all Jewish communities
and congregations throughout the British Isles and Gibraltar, both past and present.

 Congregation Data

Name:

Sharei Zion(ii) ("Gates of Zion")

Former or Alternative Names:

Frumkin's Beth Hamedrash(iii)

Sharei Zion Beth Hamedrash(iv) from about 1988

Seven Sisters Road Hebrew Congregation{v) until about 1988

Last Address:

10 Woodberry Down, London N.4., from about 1991(vi)

Previous Addresses:

10a Woodberry Down, London N.4., from about 1975 to about 1991.(vii)

414 Seven Sisters Road, Finsbury Park, London N.4., from about 1959 to about 1975.(viii)

404 Seven Sisters Road, Finsbury Park, London N.4., from at least 1946 to about 1959.(ix)

13, Beaulieu Villas, London N.4., from at least 1928 to at least 1939.(x)

Date Formed:

Formed by about 1928.(xiii)

Current Status:

The congregation was defunct by 2003.(xiv)

Ritual:

Strictly Orthodox

Affiliation:

The congregation was a constituent congregation of the Union of Orthodox Hebrew Congregations (UOHC).(xv)

Ministers:(xix)
(To view a short profile of a minister - hold the cursor over his name.)

Rev. Myer Frydman - from at least 1945 until about 1975.(xx)

Rev. Wilfred Goldberg - from at least 1945 until about 1948.(xxi)

Presidents:

S. Tropp - from about 1928 until at least 1939.(xxii)

M. Schwartz - from at least 1945 until about 1952.(xxiii)

Local Government District:

Finsbury Park, an area in North London, is not to be confused with the district of Finsbury, several miles to the south, closer to the centre of London.

Seven Sisters Road and Finsbury Park straddle three London Boroughs, the London Borough of Hackney(xxiv) (the locality in which the synagogue was situated, at least since the 1940's), the London Borough of Haringey and the London Borough of Islington, all created on 1 April 1965, within the administrative area of Greater London.

Previously the locality of the synagogue buildings was in the former Metropolitan Borough of Stoke Newington .

Registration District (BMD):

Hackney(xxv) - Link to Register Office website

Cemetery
Information:

See Cemeteries of the UOHC

Notes & Sources ( returns to text above)

  • (i) Reserved.

  • (ii) This was the name under which the congregation was listed in Jewish Year Books from 1992 until its final listing in 2003. The congregation was not listed in the 1991 edition.

  • (iii) This was the name under which the congregation was often generally known, in light of its close association with the Frumkin family. The congregation was listed under as "Frumkins Beth Hamedrash" in the Jewish Year Book 1990.

  • (iv) This was the name under which the congregation was listed in the Jewish Year Book 1989.

  • (v) This was the name under which the congregation was listed in Jewish Year Books from its first appearance in 1929 through 1949, although from 1945/6 through 1948, the words "& Talmud Torah" were added.

  • (vi) This was the address listed for the congregation in Jewish Year Books from 1992 until until its final listing in 2003.

  • (vii) This was the address listed for the congregation in Jewish Year Books from 1976 through 1991.

  • (viii) This was the address listed for the congregation in Jewish Year Books from 1959 through 1975.

  • (ix) This was the address listed for the congregation in Jewish Year Books from 1947 through 1958.

  • (x) This was the address listed for the congregation in Jewish Year Books from its first appearance in 1929 through 1940. There were editions published in the war years from 1941 through 1945 and the congregation was listed without an address in the 1945/46 edition.

  • (xi) and (xii) Reserved.

  • (xiii) Based upon the congregation being listed for the first time in the Jewish Year Book 1929.

  • (xiv) Based upon the congregation's last listing being in the Jewish Year Book 2003. However, it may have some years earlier

  • (xv) The congregation was at all times listed in Jewish Year Books as an UOHC constituent.

  • (xvi) to (xviii) Reserved.

  • (xix) By way of illistrating the congregation's close relationship with the Frumkin family, it should be noted that both ministers listed were sons-in-law of Eliyahu Ephraim Frumkin and Rachel Frumkin - M. Frydman married Gertrude (Gertie) Frumkin and W. Goldberg married Rose Frumkin. The third daughter, Louise (Libby) Frumkin married Louis David Sacks and was the mother of the former Chief Rabbi, Rabbi Lord Jonathan Sacks.

  • (xx) Based upon Rev. (later Rabbi) Frydman's listing as minister of the congregation in Jewish Year Books from 1945/6 through 1975 (from 1945/6 through 1948, jointly with his brother-in-law, Rev. Goldberg). As, due to the war, the Jewish Year Book had not been published since 1940, there is no clear indication as to when the term of office commenced.

  • (xxi) Based upon Rev. Goldberg's listing as co-minister of the congregation in Jewish Year Books from 1945/6 through 1948. As, due to the war, the Jewish Year Book had not been published since 1940, there is no clear indication as to when the term of office commenced.

  • (xxii) Based upon Mr. Tropp's listing as president of the congregation in Jewish Year Books from 1929 through 1940. As, due to the war, the Jewish Year Book was published from 1940 through 1945, there is no clear indication as to when his term of office came to an end.

  • (xxiii) Based upon Mr. Schwartz's listing as president of the congregation in Jewish Year Books from 1945/6 through 1951. As, due to the war, the Jewish Year Book had not been published since 1940, there is no clear indication as to when his term of office commenced. Furthermore, there were no listings of presents of the congregation after 1951, so it is unclear whether Mr. Schwartz's term of office ended in about 1951, or that the Jewish Year Book merely ceased publishing that information after that date.

  • (xxiv) The London Borough of Hackney, an Inner London Borough within the Greater London administrative area, was created on 1 April 1965 upon the merger of the Metropolitan Boroughs of Hackney, Stoke Newington and Shoreditch (all of which had been in the former county of London).

  • (xxv) The former Registration Districts were Hackney, from 1 July 1837 until 1 April 1930, and thereafter Stoke Newington, until 1 July 1979. All registers would now be held by current register office.

 

List of UOHC Congregations

Street Directory of Congregations in Stamford Hill, and Neighbourhood (including Finsbury Park)

Jewish Congregations in the London Borough of Hackney

Jewish Congregations in Greater London

Greater London home page


Page created: 29 November 2006
Data significantly expanded and notes first added: 3 July 2020
Latest revision or update: 5 July 2020


Explanation of Terms   |   About JCR-UK  |   JCR-UK home page

Contact JCR-UK Webmaster:
jcr-ukwebmaster@jgsgb.org.uk
(Note: This is to contact JCR-UK, not the above Congregation)

JGSGB  JewishGen


Terms and Conditions, Licenses and Restrictions for the use of this website:

This website is owned by JewishGen and the Jewish Genealogical Society of Great Britain. All material found herein is owned by or licensed to us. You may view, download, and print material from this site only for your own personal use. You may not post material from this site on another website without our consent. You may not transmit or distribute material from this website to others. You may not use this website or information found at this site for any commercial purpose.


Copyright © 2002 - 2021 JCR-UK. All Rights Reserved