· Searching the Database
The Klooga concentration camp was a forced labor sub-camp of the Vaivara concentration camp complex. The Klooga camp was located in Estonia, west of Tallinn, and was established as early as 1942 but was only used for Jews some time later. By 1944 it held between 2,000 - 3,000 Jewish prisoners. The majority of the prisoners were forcibly relocated in August and September 1943 from the ghettos of Kovno and Vilna in Lithuania and Salaspils in Latvia. A smaller number were from Estonia, Russia and Romania.
As the Russians approached after the summer of 1944, the Germans stated to evacuate the prisoners from the camp. In September 1944, the Germans started to systematically massacre the remaining 2,000 prisoners, with very few survivors.
This collection consists of the names of Jewish men and women who were held in Klooga in July 1944. In a few cases, dates of death are noted but for most, the date of death is not given and there is no list of all those who perished or survived in the September massacre.
The information was taken from holdings of the International Tracing Service, available at the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum. In each case there is at least one card (available on request) relating to each prisoner, but the cards do not add to the information contained in this overall list.Persons interested in further information on Klooga may wish to consult:
This database includes 2,186 prisoners at the Klooga camp in July 1944. The fields for this database are as follows:
In addition, thanks to JewishGen Inc. for providing the website and database expertise to make this database accessible. Special thanks to Warren Blatt and Michael Tobias for their continued contributions to Jewish genealogy. Particular thanks to Nolan Altman, coordinator of Holocaust files.
This database is searchable via JewishGen's Holocaust Database.
Copyright ©2002-2008, JewishGen, Inc.
Last Update: 07 June 2009 by MFK