JCR-UK

the former

Brondesbury Synagogue

(until 1974)

Brondesbury, London NW6

 

 

 

 
 

 
JCR-UK is a genealogical and historical website covering all Jewish communities
and congregations throughout the British Isles and Gibraltar, both past and present.

 Brondesbury Synagogue, now a Shia Mosque
The former Brondesbury Synagogue, now a Mosque
(courtesy Les Bailey)

Congregation Data

Name:

Brondesbury Synagogue(ii)

(Note: This name was later adopted by the former Willesden Synagogue in about 2004. See below.)

Address:

Chevening Road (south side, at junction with Carlisle Road), Brondesbury, London N.W.6.(iii)

The plot at Chevening Road, which adjoined the Maria Grey School, was sold somewhat below its cost price to the nascent congregation by Solomon Barnett (see below).(iv)

The Synagogue, in Moorish style, was designed by architect Frederick W. Marks.(v) It opened on 9 April 1905 by Sir Marcus Samuel (later Lord Bearsted) and Lionel de Rothschild(vi) and consecrated in a ceremony attended by, inter alia, Chief Rabbi Hermann Adler, Rev. Morris Joseph of the West London (Reform) Synagogue and Rabbi Dr. Moses Gaster, the Haham.(ix)

The building was badly damaged in an arson attack in 1965, but then rebuilt and reconsecrated.(x)

Formation:

In 1900, Polish-born Solomon Barnett, one of the first Jews to settle in the Willesden area, called a meeting of local Jewish residents at his home with a view to deciding to build a synagogue in the locality. A Committee was set up which purchased the Chevening Road plot from Barnett at well below its market price. The Brondesbury Synagogue was erected and opened in 1905 and it was some years before another synagogue was established in the general Willesden area.(xi)

Closure:

The congregation closed in 1974, being merged into the neighboring Willesden Synagogue, which many of the former members joined.(xii) This synagogue assumed the name Willesden and Brondesbury Synagogue, then changed its name to the Brondesbury Synagogue and is now known as the Brondesbury Park Synagogue.(xiii)

The synagogue building was sold in 1974 to Kilburn and Brondesbury School.(xvi) It was later acquired by the Iman Al-Khoei Foundation and is now the "premier Shia mosque" in London.(xvii)

Ritual:

Ashkenazi Orthodox

Affiliation:

A constituent synagogue of the United Synagogue from 1905 until its closure.(xviii)

Ministers:
(To view a short profile of a minister, assistant minister or reader - hold the cursor over his name.)

Rev. (later Rabbi, then Dayan) Harris M. Lazarus - minister from 1905 until 1938, and hon minster until 1941.(xxi)

Rev. Aaron Shapiro - temporary minister in about 1940.(xxii)

Rabbi Immanuel Jakobovits - temporary minister from 1941 until 1944.(xxiii)

Rabbi Nathan Vengroff - temporary minister from 1944 until 1946.(xxiv)

Dayan Morris Swift - minister from 1946 until 1949.(xxv)

Rabbi Dr. Alfred Melinek - minister from 1951 until 1969.(xxviii)

Rev. David Wolfson - minister from 1969 until 1974.(xxix)

Assistant Ministers and Readers:

Rev. Nahum Peckar - reader from 1906 until 1932(xxxii)

Rev. Aron Elfand - reader from 1933 until 1965(xxxiv)

Rev. Benjamin B. Wykansky - assistant minister from 1945 until 1949 and then acting minister until 1950(xxxv)

Rev. Maurice J. Dubiner - reader from about 1967 until 1974(xxxvi)

Lay Officers:

Unless otherwise stated, all data on lay officers has been extracted from listings in Jewish Year Books.(xxxix)

Wardens

1905-1906 - Solomon BarnettHermann Oppenheimer

1906-1907 - Solomon BarnettMorris Duparc

1907-1911 - Morris DuparcJoseph Freedman

1911-1913 - Joseph FreedmanDr. Myer A. Dutch

1913-1917 - Dr. Myer A. DutchJoseph Prag, JP

1917-1919 - Joseph Prag, JPJ.B. Magnus

1919-1921 - J.B. MagnusSidney J. Kemper

1921-1923 - Sidney J. KemperEugene M. Solomon

1923-1925 - Eugene M. SolomonSampson S. Freedman

1925-1926 - Sampson S. FreedmanDr. M. Epstein

1926-1929 - Dr. M. EpsteinJoseph Greenbaum

1929-1931 - Joseph GreenbaumA. Morris

1931-1933 - A. MorrisIsadore Aarons

1933-1934 - Isadore AaronsS.N. Lipman, MBE

1934-1936 - Isadore AaronsA. Hearn

1936-1939 - A. HearnA. Jackson

1939-1940 - A. JacksonM. Nisenbaum

1940-1945 - no data

1945-1947 - B. Simon, BScCharlie M. Shaw

1947-1949 - Charlie M. ShawMax Williams

1949-1951 - Max WilliamsJack Cash

1951-1953 - Jack CashAbraham Jackson

1953-1956 - Abraham JacksonH. Hames

from 1956 - no data

Treasurer

1905-1906 - L.A. Kann

1906-1907 - no data

Financial Representatives

1907-1911 - Dr. Myer A. Dutch

1911-1913 - Waldemar Benscher

1913-1917 - S.P. Solomon

1917-1919 - Sidney J. Kemper

1919-1921 - Eugene M. Solomon

1921-1923 - Sampson S. Freedman

1923-1925 - Dr. M. Epstein

1925-1926 - Joseph Greenbaum

1926-1929 - A. Morris

1929-1931 - Isadore Aarons

1931-1933 - S.N. Lipman, MBE

1933-1936 - A. Jackson

1936-1940 - J. Cash

1940-1945 - no data

1945-1947 - Max Williams

1947-1949 - A. Singer

1949-1951 - H. Gaventa

1951-1955 - Isadore Sklan

1955-1956 - Philip Taylor

from 1956 - no data

Secretaries and Hon. Secretaries

1905 - Rev. Benjamin N. Michelson (pro tem)

1906-1933 - Rev. Nahum Peckar

1933-1938 - N. Behmann

1938-1942 - Benjamin B. Wykansky(xl)

1942-1945 - no data

1945-1949 - Rev. Benjamin B. Wykansky

1949-1952 - vacant

1952-1953 - D.U.L. Lever

1953-1960 - M.S. Wynne

1960-1974 - V. Wagner

Membership Data:

United Synagogue (male seat-holders)(xli)

1905

1910

1920

1930

1940

1950

1960

1970

170

316

522

540

515

518

401

250

Charitable Status:

As a constituent of the United Synagogue, the congregation operates within that organisation's registered charity status (registered charity no. 242552).

Local Government Districts:

Brondesbury, a neighborhood of Willesden in northwest London, is in the London Borough of Brent (created on 1 April 1965), within the administrative area of Greater London.(xlii)

Previously, it was in the former Municipal Borough of Willesden (incorporated as a borough in 1933, previously the Urban District of Willesden from 1894) in the former County of Middlesex, which entities were abolished in 1965.

Cemetery
Information:

For United Synagogue cemeteries, see Cemeteries of the United Synagogue.

 

Search the All-UK Database

The records in the database specifically associated with the St John's Wood Synagogue include:

  • Seatholders Lists:

    • 1910 (308 records); and

    • 1933 (542 records).

Click here for a list of other London records in the Database that may also include records associated with this congregation.

 

Online Articles, Bibliography and Other Material
relating to this Congregation

on JCR-UK

  • History of the Willesden & Brondesbury Synagogue 1934-1994 by Rabbi Dr. Bernard Susser, 1994, which deals primarily with the former Willesden Synagogue, but also includes information on this congregation. Available on JCR-UK as part of the Susser Archive;

  • Profile of the Brondesbury Synagogue on its Fiftieth Anniversary, 1955;

  • Selected Bibliography:

    • History of the Brondesbury Synagogue by H. Lazarus, 1930. (Published by the Brondesbury Synagogue);

    • History of the Brondesbury Synagogue by A. Melinek, 1955. (Published by the Brondesbury Synagogue on the congregation's Silver Jubilee);

    • The Lost Synagogues of London by P. Renton, 2000, pp. 131-133;

    • Jewish Heritage in Britain and Ireland - An Architectural Guide, by Sharman Kadish,2015, p. 57; and

    • other London Borough of Brent sources.

 

Congregation Records

Registration District (BDM):

Brent(xliii) - Link to Register Office website

Marriage Records:

Copies of the registers for "Willesden Brondesbury Synagogue"  (seven registers for 1905-1974) held by the Board of Deputies (ref; 16/41a/1-7)

 

Other Organisations & Institutions
connected to this congregation

Educational

  • Hebrew & Religious Classes - founded by 1905.(l) Although (until at least the 1950s) the minister was generally the head superintendent or headmaster, other who have held such position were Mr. M. Davidson (c.1924-c.1937) and Rabbi Meyer Gordon (c.1938)
    The following are details of the number of pupils enrolled in the classes for the relevant years:

    1905

    1906

    1892

    1907

    1911

    1912

    1913

    85

    110

    65

    130

    120

    144

    165

Other Institutions

  • Young Israel Society - founded by 1938.(li)

  • Social Club - founded by 1938.(li)

  • NW London Girls Club for Social Service - founded by 1938.(li)

  • Ladies Guild - active by 1946.(lii)

  • Combined Charities Fund - founded by 1947.(liii)

 

Notes & Sources
( returns to text above)

  • (i) Reserved.

  • (ii) This was at all times the name of the congregation, as listed in Jewish Year Books.

  • (iii) This was at all times the address of the congregation, as listed in Jewish Year Books.

  • (iv) History of the Willesden and Brondesbury Synagogue 1934-1994 by Rabbi Dr. B. Susser, 1994 ("Susser's History" - online), Ch 1, The Early Years.

  • (v) Jewish Heritage in Britain and Ireland by S. Kadish (2015), p. 57.

  • (vi) Susser's History, Ch 1, The Early Years.

  • (vii) and (viii) Reserved.

  • (ix) The Lost Synagogues of London by P. Renton, 2000, p. 131.

  • (x) The Lost Synagogues of London by P. Renton, 2000, p. 132. The Jewish Year Book 1968 stated that the synagogue was rebuilt in 1966.

  • (xi) Susser's History, Ch 1, The Early Years.

  • (xii) A report in The Jewish Chronicle of 4 October 1974: "Willesden 'hello' - Following the closure of the Brondesbury synagogue, more than 140 former members have joined the neighbouring Willesden synagogue. They were welcomed at a reception held at the Max Faiman Hall by Willesden's minister, Rabbi Dr A. Melinek, who had previously served the Brondesbury synagogue for 18 years...."

  • (xiii) As listed in Jewish Year Books.

  • (xiv) and (xv) Reserved.

  • (xvi) The Lost Synagogues of London by P. Renton, 2000, p. 133.

  • (xvii) Jewish Heritage in Britain and Ireland by S. Kadish (2015), p. 57.

  • (xviii) The United Synagogue 1870-1970 by Aubrey Newman (1977), pages 221/2.

  • (xix) and (xx) Reserved.

  • (xxi) He was listed a minister of the congregation in Jewish Year Books 1905/6 through 1938, initially as Rev. then as Rabbi (from 1914) and then as Dayan (from 1915).

  • (xxii) The Jewish Chronicle of 31 May 1940 reported that the congregation had engaged Rev. A. Shapiro as temporary minister.

  • (xxiii) Jewish Chronicle obituary.

  • (xxiv) Various Jewish Chronicle reports. Rev. Vengroff was listed as temporary minister of the congregation in the Jewish Year Book 1945/6.

  • (xxv) The Jewish Chronicle of 24 May 1946 reported the decision of Dayan Swift to leave Brixton. He was inducted at Brondesbury in June 1946. On 29 July 1949 it reported his farewell sermon had taken place at Brondesbury the previous Sabbath. He was listed as minister of the congregation in Jewish Year Books 1947 through 1950.

  • (xxvi) and (xxvii) Reserved.

  • (xxviii) The Jewish Chronicle of 6 April 1951 reported that, before the departure of Rabbi Dr. A. Melinek to take up his appointment at the Brondesbury Synagogue, a farewell reception in his honour was recently given by the Board of Management of the Stoke Newington Synagogue. On 26 September 1969 it reported that he had become minister of the Willesden Synagogue in April. He was listed as minister of the congregation in Jewish Year Books 1952 through 1969.

  • (xxix) Rev. D Wolfson was listed as minister of the congregation in Jewish Year Books 1971 through 1975

  • (xxx) to (xxxi) Reserved.

  • (xxxii) The Jewish Chronicle of 7 November 1906 reported the induction service of Rev. Peckar, who had recently been appointed reader of the congregation. On 6 January 1933 it reported on a presentation being made to him upon his retirement. He is listed as reader of the congregation in Jewish Year Books 1906/7 through 1933.

  • (xxxiii) Reserved.

  • (xxxiv) The Jewish Chronicle of 30 December 1932 reported that the appointment of Rev Elfand as reader at Brondesbury to be ratified at a meeting the following week and in his Jewish Chronicle obituary of 12 February 1965 it stated that he died in office. He is listed as reader of the congregation in Jewish Year Books 1934 through 1965.

  • (xxxv) Various Jewish Chronicle reports. Rev. Wykansky was listed as assistant minister of the congregation in Jewish Year Books 1947 through 1950. He also served as the congregation's secretary. See below.

  • (xxxvi) Various Jewish Chronicle reports. Rev. Dubiner was listed as reader in Jewish Year Books 1970 through 1975. He also served as the congregation's secretary. See below.

  • (xxxvii) and (xxxiii) Reserved.

  • (xxxix) Jewish Year Books were first published in 1896/7. Where a person was first listed in a year book as holding a particular office, it has been assumed that his term of office commenced in the year of publication of the relevant year book and that he continued in office until the commencement of office of his successor, unless the office was shown as vacant. Initially year books corresponded to the Hebrew year, and thus ran roughly from autumn of one year - the year of publication - until autumn of the next year. From 1909, year books were published according to the Gregorian year, being published generally towards the end of the year prior to the year appearing in the title of the year book. For example, if an officer is listed in Jewish Year Books 1919 through 1924, it is assumed that he commenced office in 1918 and continued in office until 1924. However, it should be noted that this is only an assumption and accordingly his actual years of office may differ slightly from those shown here. Jewish Year Books were not published during World War II subsequent to 1940. There were no Jewish Year Book listings of officers (other than secretary) subsequent to 1956.

  • (xl) At the same time he also served as beadle, but it was prior to him becoming a reverend. Jewish Chronicle reports.

  • (xlvii) The United Synagogue 1870-1970 by Aubrey Newman (1977), pages 218/9.

  • (xlii) The London Borough of Brent, an Outer London Borough within the Greater London administrative area, was created on 1 April 1965 upon the merger of the Municipal Boroughs of Willesden and Wembley. Both municipal boroughs had been within the former County of Middlesex.

  • (xliii) The former Registration Districts were: Hendon, from 1 July 1837 until 1 October 1909; and Willesden, from 1 October 1909 until 1 April 1965. All registers would now be held by the current register office.

  • (xliv) to (xlix) Reserved.

  • (l) First listed in Jewish Year Book 1905/6. Other data on the Classes have been extracted from the relevant year books.

  • (li) First listed in Jewish Year Book 1939.

  • (lii) First listed in Jewish Year Book 1947.

  • (liii) First listed in Jewish Year Book 1948.


List of United Synagogue Congregations

Jewish Congregations in the London Borough of Brent

Jewish Congregations in Greater London

Greater London home page

Page created: 30 September 2006
Data expanded and some notes first added; 23 January 2018:
Data significantly expanded: 26 November 2025
Page most recently amended: 30 November 2025

Research by David Shulman, assisted by Steven Jaffe
Formatting by David Shulman


Explanation of Terms   |   About JCR-UK  |   JCR-UK home page

Contact JCR-UK Webmaster:
jcr-ukwebmaster@jgsgb.org.uk
(Note: This is to contact JCR-UK, not the above Congregation)

JGSGB  JewishGen


Terms and Conditions, Licenses and Restrictions for the use of this website:

This website is owned by JewishGen and the Jewish Genealogical Society of Great Britain. All material found herein is owned by or licensed to us. You may view, download, and print material from this site only for your own personal use. You may not post material from this site on another website without our consent. You may not transmit or distribute material from this website to others. You may not use this website or information found at this site for any commercial purpose.


Copyright © 2002 - 2025 JCR-UK. All Rights Reserved