Memorial plaques from Tree of Life Congregation of Pittsburgh, Pa. as of February 2023. Transcribed by Rauh Jewish Archives volunteer Jon Halpern. Edited by Rauh Jewish Archives director Eric Lidji. Tree of Life Congregation was the first Conservative congregation in Western Pennsylvania. It was founded as an Orthodox congregation in June 1864 by a coalition of Posner, Lithuanian, Dutch and traditional Germans who left Rodef Shalom Congregation after it took its first step toward liberalization. Tree of Life was located until downtown Pittsburgh until 1907, when it relocated to Oakland. It relocated to Squirrel Hill in 1952.