This cemetery was in use from 1663 to 1934. About 175 of the most important of the 9000 graves in the cemetery were transferred to the Ohlsorf Cemetery in 1942. In 1992-1995 the Mercado Supermarket was built upon the site of the Ottensen Jewish cemetery amidst great protest. Now there is a plaque with about 4,500 of the names of those buried there with room for more names to be added. This cemetery list was donated by Alan Ehlich of Geneva, Switzerland.