Green Lane – The New Hebrew Congregation split from the Liverpool (Old) Hebrew Congregation in the mid 1830s. The new congregation established the Green Lane cemetery in 1840, and it remained the congregation’s sole burial ground until 1921, though reserved plot burials continued until 1952. The cemetery still exists but it has been sealed to prevent unauthorized access. Records for 420 burials (based on the 1979 survey) are included here. Based on an estimated number of stillbirth and neo-natal interments and the number of adult graves which could not be accessed/recorded in 1979, it is likely that more than 900 interments actually took place there. Note that the photographs are NOT of headstones per se - they are scans of the handwritten transcriptions of headstone wording taken in 1979.
For further information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org |