Information donated by Rebecca Ewing Peterson. Hwange-Pe Lu (Ex Mohawk Road) Cemetery : This cemetery of 304 graves was founded 1862 and is the oldest Jewish cemetery in Shanghai. "Israeli Cemetery" and later as the "Mohawk Cemetery": was on Mohawk Road. The first of four Jewish cemeteries in Shanghai. When first opened in 1862, this location beyond the Western edge of the city later bordered the city's Racecourse. The racecourse tower and grandstands can still be seen across the street, the former now an art museum, the latter a host for offices and a museum for the new opera house. The four Shanghai Jewish cemeteries were moved to the western suburbs in the 1950s and later were destroyed during the Cultural Revolution.