Karlsruhe, Germany Survivors
This list includes 111 Jews in Karlsruhe, Germany 1946, submitted by the World Jewish Congress, New York. This is one of a large number of lists developed/collected in the years immediately after the end of WWII in attempts to facilitate possible family support and reunions. The extent of information on each list varies, this list has local addresses so that contact from elsewhere would be possible.
Diedelsheim is a suburb of Karlsruhe. The beginning of the Jewish community in Diedelsheim, a district of the city of Bretten in the district of Karlsruhe (Baden-Württemberg), goes back to the 16th century. In the year 1548 Jews are mentioned in Diedelsheim for the first time. Until the beginning of the 19th century, the Jewish families lived primarily in the Judengaeßle. The highest number of Jewish residents was reached in 1864 with 118 people.
As a result of the rural exodus that began in 1870. The Jewish community was officially dissolved in 1920 and the remaining members of the Jewish community were assigned to Bretten. The Jewish community of Diedelsheim had been a member of the district rabbinate of Bretten since 1827. Bretten belongs to Karlsruhe.
The Jewish community had a synagogue, a religious school and a ritual bath (mikveh) in the synagogue building. The Jewish families lived from trade in livestock, country products and goods of all kinds.
This database includes 111 survivors. The fields for this database are as follows:
The information contained in this database was indexed from the files available from the World Jewish Congress in New York. The source of the database is an ITS list with the reference number 184.108.40.206/1=197/12. Thank you Peter Lande for compiling this information.
Particular thanks to Nolan Altman, Director of Special Projects - Holocaust Collection.
Searching the Database
This database is searchable by clicking here.
Last Update: May 2020