Oral History Interview, Questions and Topics
Following is a list of questions that may be used when interviewing
an older member of the family. You can, of course, alter them
to suit your particular family (cultural background, etc.).
Some questions to ask:
- How old are you now?
- When were you born?
- Where were you born?
- Where was your mother born?
- Do you know what her maiden name was?
- Do you know where your mother's mother (your grandmother on
your mother's side) was born?
- How about your mother's father? Where was your grandfather
(on your mother's side) born?
- What country did your mother's ancestors come from?
- What part of the country did your mother's ancestors come
- Where was your father born?
- Do you know where your father's mother (your grandmother on
your father's side) was born?
- What about your father's father (your grandfather on your
father's side)? Do you know where he was born or where he came
- Do you remember hearing any stories about why your
ancestors -- either on your father's or mother's side of the
family -- came to America?
- What kind of person was your grandmother? What did she look
like? How many children did she have?
- How many aunts and uncles do you have on your mother's side?
On your father's side?
- What were some of your grandmother's best qualities? Her
- Did your grandmother have some special talents?
- How important was your grandmother to you? Do you think she
had any effect or influence on you?
- Do you know what your grandmother died of?
- Where is your grandmother buried?
- What kind of work did your grandfather do?
- Will you describe your grandfather? What did he look like?
What kind of personality did he have? Did he influence you in any
- Are you like him in any way?
- Do you know how he died? When did he die? Where is he buried?
- Can you tell me a story about either your grandmother or
grandfather that would characterize her--perhaps something she
did, or the way she reacted to something that happened to her or
some member of her family?
- How did your grandmother and grandfather meet?
- Were there any family heirlooms/property, etc. that have been
handed down from generation to generation? What are they? Where
are they now?
- Can you think of anything else about your grandparents?
- Can you tell me about any "black sheep" in the family?
- Are there any stories about famous or infamous relatives on
either side of the family?
- What about your parents? Did they ever tell you how they met
and fell in love? Tell me that story.
- How and when did your parents decide to get married?
- What did your parents do together before they got married?
What kinds of places did they go for entertainment, for social
- When and where was your mother born? Your father?
- Where did they grow up?
- Did your mother or father ever tell you what their childhood
- What did your mother do before she was married? Did she work?
What kind of work did she do?
- Was your mother previously married before she married your
- How many children did your mother have?
- Can you give me the names of your mother's children?
- What year was each of your mother's children born?
- Who is the oldest child? The youngest?
- Can you describe your mother to me? What did she look like?
- If you can remember the way your mother looked, what is she
doing now, in your thoughts? How do you picture her now?
- Did your mother or father have any birthmarks or scars? Do
you know how they got the scars?
- Can you tell me a story about your mother--something she did
or the way she was--that you remember most?
- Did your mother have any hobbies? Was she artistic? Musical?
Did she sew or have any other "craft" hobbies? What were her
- Did your mother work outside of the home? What kind of work
did she do?
- Was your mother a good cook? What was her favorite meal? What
meal did she make that was your favorite? Can you cook as well as
- Did either of your parents read to you when you were small?
Did they tell you bedtime stories?
- Was either of your parents actively involved in the
- What skills or talents did you learn from either your mother
- What important lesson or lessons did either one teach you?
- Tell me about your mother's temper? Did she ever lose her
temper that you remember? Why did she lose it? How did it finally
- Did your mother or father have a good sense of humor?
- Can you remember when your mother or father cried? Why did
- What is the saddest event you can remember?
- Do you think you inherited some of your mother's emotional
qualities? Which ones?
- Tell me how you are like your mother? Your father?
- How was your mother's health, generally?
- Was she ever severely ill or injured? Tell me about it.
- What religion was your mother raised in? Your father?
- What do you think was the greatest tragedy your mother or
father suffered in their lives?
- When did your mother die? Your father?
- What cemetery are they buried in?
- Did your mother or father ever say how they felt about death
or dying? What was their attitude about it?
- Tell me about your parents' education (grandparents, etc.).
How much education did they have? Where did they go to school?
Can you remember if they ever said anything about their
experiences at school?
- What kinds of dreams of the future did your mother/father
have? Did any of their dreams come true?
- Did your parents/grandparents live through any wars? Which
one? Was your father or grandfather in the military during the
war? Did either one ever fight in a battle? Where? Were they
ever wounded? Were any of your ancestors killed in battle?
- Tell me a story about your father, something that stands out
clearly in your mind.
- What are you thinking right now? Happy thoughts or sad?
- Was your father or grandfather physically strong? Did either
of them like to work outdoors? Did either of them have hobbies?
What did they teach you, that you can remember?
- Did your father or grandfather have lots of friends? Did they
like lots of people around?
- Describe your surroundings when you were a child? Can you
picture the kitchen?
- Tell me about your uncles or aunts. What are their names? Can
you tell me what years they were born? What do you remember most
about them? Does any ONE stand out in your memory? Why?
- Who was your favorite cousin? Why?
- Are you in touch with any of your aunts, uncles, cousins?
Where do they live? How can I get in touch with them?
- How many sisters and brothers do you have? What are their
names? What years were they born? Did any of them die in
childhood? Did any of them die when adults? What did they die of?
- Did you have a favorite brother or sister? Why "favorite"?
- What was the major news event of your life? How did you feel
about it? What influence did it have on you?
- What political party did your parents or grandparents belong
to? Did they vote?
- Do you remember your grandparents' parents (your
great-grandparents)? What were their names? How old were they
when they died? Where are they buried?
- Did your parents or grandparents speak a foreign language?