by Rabbi Moshe Steinberg
Translated by Selwyn Rose
We have no trustworthy information concerning the birth of the town of Jarosław; when the first Jews settled there. In spite of the fact that it is one of the oldest towns in Poland - founded, according to estimates, by the Russian Prince Jarosław the Wise (1019-1054) there is no document suggesting the existence of Jews in Jarosław until the second half of the 15th century and the first confirmed mention supporting the existence of a Jew or Jews in Jarosław is from the year 1464 and the supposition of Orlowycz that Jews were settled in Jarosław in the days of Casimir the Great, that is during the 14th century, should be completely and utterly disregarded because there is not a shred of viable evidence to support that statement.
The fact that in 1561 (one hundred years after 1464), there lived in Jarosław just two Jews, Avraham and David, proves that the development of a Jewish community in Jarosław was exceedingly slow. That, and more besides: Rabbi Meir ben Gedaliah of Lublin, who resided at the time in Jarosław, is known to have taken part in the Council of the Four Lands (1608), and he declares in his book that the participants in the Council were obliged to bring a Scroll of the Law from nearby Przemyśl because there was not one available in the entire town. Here is clear proof that at the beginning of the 17th century, there was not yet a quorum of Jews in Jarosław.
The main obstruction to the development of Jewish settlement in Jarosław was the operation of the de non tolerandis Judaeis that the townspeople received from the town's Princess Zofia Tarnowska in 1571, according to which there will not be more than one Jewish house in Jarosław and at the very most two. The right not to tolerate Jews within its walls was claimed by towns like Warsaw, Lublin and others on the basis of the same Privilege of de non tolerandis Judaeis and they succeeded in exiling the Jews from their towns. But the difference with Jarosław was simply that here the two Jews were permitted to remain. One may assume that Tarnowska considered the prevailing situation and allowed the two Jews, Avraham and David, who already dwelt in the town at the same time, to continue to live in Jarosław. And all the owners of Jarosław after Zofia Tarnowska honored the status quo. Thus, according to the law it was always permissible for two Jews to reside in Jarosław.
Of interest, is that in that same year of 1571, Tarnowska brought the Jesuits to Jarosław and presented them with the village of Pawłosiów as a holding. It is very possible, therefore, that
the anti-Jewish law was enacted by her under pressure and at the express demands of the Jesuits. Indeed, it is in the opinion of Willus Adam that Piotr Scarga, her loyal friend, influenced Tarnowska in this direction suggesting the founding of the Jesuit monastery in Jarosław and as a condition of its development enacting the ban hence the Privilege.
For many years, the city of Jarosław enjoyed this right and it was not violated, even in the slightest degree because the townspeople and the town's leading citizens were on constant guard against any infraction. In 1573 the Jew Avraham passed away and his wife Ziklia sold their house which stood between the house of Vasilko and the house belonging to the Jew David on Kozia Ulica Platea Caprima, to a woman called Anna making the place available for another Jew in accordance with the law of 1571 and Moshe settled in Jarosław in 1574 and purchased the property from Ivan Shmiwitz.
Understandably, the law generated hostility towards the Jews and therefore the Council of the Four Lands passed a resolution forbidding decisively that their meetings should be held in Jarosław as it was considered a perilous locality. When, in spite of that decision, the Council convened in Jarosław, they expressed their regrets and renewed the prohibition on 13th Tishrei 5432 (1672), at the sitting of the Council in Jarosław itself, in the following words: We remember our sins today in that we were reconciled with the mediators and tempters to convene in that place of danger and corruption Jarosław, for many reasons and it is well that those who came before us forbad the meetings there. We wonder about those earlier ones we heard whispering their enticements for us to come here, and we should have owed it to ourselves that we abide by the boycott, which had been established by the officers and the leading elements in of earlier Councils. It is well we accepted the boycott of the aforementioned elders not to convene in the city, the place of danger mentioned above but about ten kilometers from Jarosław and at the Kremnitz meeting in 5432 the Council of the Four Lands will decide where we will convene and how many weeks before the Jarosław Fair. And there we will not convene for any reason in the world and any such meeting will hold no validity as explained in the previous pages that do not contradict regulations that exist as if they came out of our mouths today. The 24 officers acting on the advice of the Most High Lord, Thursday 13th of Tishrei 1572 in the Holy Committee here in Jarosław.
Having no option, the Jews were forced to comply with the existing law and settled in the suburbs on the edge of town specifically the Russian suburb (Pełkinie), and there in a later period a synagogue and a Beit Ha-Ḥaim were built. But gradually, with the passage of time the Jews for all that, managed to infiltrate the walls of the town and the law, thus by the year
1613, there were already living five Jews in Jarosław: Moshe, Hirsch, Baru.ḥ the Licensee, Wolf and Levi, all of whom appeared as Jarosław residents.
The open infraction of the law encouraged the Jews to settle in Jarosław and the Jewish settlement increased and expanded. In truth, in 1630, the owner of the town at the time, Princess Anna Ostrogzka and in 1676 by King Jan III Sobieski made respective efforts to prevent the development of Jewish settlement in Jarosław and to that end renewed the edict of the Privilege 1571, but unsuccessfully, as it had become obsolete.
The Jewish community in Jarosław began to grow slowly and more firmly until it became an established fact.
Jarosław was a known commercial town holding a well-publicised Fair three times a year to which came people from all over the country as well as from abroad. Her streets and markets overflowed with Jews and non-Jews alike who came for the trade Fairs and filled the available accommodation for the period of the Fairs. There is not the shadow of a doubt that many of the Jews who came to the Jarosław Fairs wished in their hearts that they, too, in fact dwelt in that commercial town but standing in the way of that desire was the anti-Jewish law of 1571 and for nearly forty years no one was able to violate the staus quo.
Nevertheless when, at the beginning of the 17th Century they did manage to breach the difficulties presented by the above law and Jaroslaw was no longer limited to two Jewish houses, Jews wishing to settle in the town began to flow ceaselessly and their numbers grew. In the thirties of the 17th Century there was already a population worthy of being called a community. In 1638 the reality of the situation called for the organization and recognition of the community and the Court of Władysław IV granted a Privilege that acknowledged the Jews of Przemyśl as a section of the population of the town.
In accordance with that Royal decree all the surrounding towns close to Przemyśl including Jarosław, were obliged to obey the following instructions:
To recognize Przemyśl as their big sister.It is worth pointing out that in no way was Jarosław exceptional since, in accordance with the accepted norms, the defense of every large community spread over the smaller ones and as one of the central communities, they were obliged to accept the authority. And if every individual community chose, in general, between 22-34 community representatives, everyone would number just eight representatives.
To bury their dead there.
To hold services in the Przemyśl synagogue.
To pay taxes.
To purchase there the etrogim
Every licensee will pay 3 gulden for the benefit of the Rabbis.
Any legal appeal is to be addressed to the rabbinical authority of Przemyśl.
And regarding the burial of the dead in Przemyśl, the renewed Privilege changed nothing because even before 1638, the Jews of Jarosław buried their dead in Przemyśl since they had no local cemetery. Thus explained Rabbi Joel Sirkis in one of his replies because in 1625, a fire broke out in Jarosław at the time of one of the Fairs and one of the Jews named Ya'acov Ashkenazi of Poznań was burnt to death and buried in Przemyśl since there was no cemetery in Jarosław. That Privilege was possible only by official authorization of the existing law.
There is certainly no need to emphasize that the Privilege bye-law above obliging prayers to be held in Przemyśl, is completely illogical or unfair and totally unacceptable and is not worthy of further discussion.
During the same period, in the following decade after the 1638 event, the Cossacks, headed by Khmelnitsky invaded Polish territory and in every place they trod they left behind them destruction and suffering to property and people. The terrible devastating year of1647 shocked all humanity bringing calamitous misery not only to the Polish people but first and foremost inhuman atrocities and suffering to the Jews because in their wild behavior and Satanic, bloody depredations three-hundred thousand Jews were martyred men women and children.
The 1647 storm did not ignore Jarosław. The wild Cossacks destroyed the churches and monasteries, beating and abusing the Christian residents, and lost no time in setting fire to the whole town and only extorted money saved the town from being
totally destroyed. Nevertheless it seems that on this occasion the Jewish population came out unscathed with no loss of life.
Legend has it that with the awareness of the danger hovering over their heads from the Cossacks, the Jews fled the town before the start of the marauding gangs and when their anger had passed, they returned to their homes on 9th Sivan and fixed that day as a day of rejoicing calling it Jarosław's 'Good-day'
The establishment and numerical growth of Jarosław eventually drove the villagers out of their minds. The tension intensified, arguments and fights broke out between the townspeople and the Jews and Jarosław Jewish life became bitter until finally open violence broke out and became serious in 1686. The situation was very dangerous and only the intervention of the Queen, Maria Kazimiera managed to contain what was, in fact, a cold war. The Queen sent Cardinal Stanislaw as her personal representative with the aim of reaching a settlement giving him explicit instructions to settle the arguments between the two sides.
But usually the townspeople were supported by the town owners, the clergy and some of the kings of Poland like Jan III Sobieski, who tried to block the expansion of the Jewish settlement in Jarosław. For example, in 1664 the town's authorities published a law forbidding the renting of apartments to Jews and in future to exile them and not give them any work. A similar law was published in 1687 by the town owner Józef Karol Lubomirski, demanding Intra rigorum iurium and to throw the Jews out of the town because some weeks after the Fair the Jews were still living in the town and all those aiding them should be punished to the extreme limit of the law.
After a year passed, Lubomirski renewed the above order. And a final time in 1704, Ludwika Lubomirska renewed the Privilege of 1751.
From every aspect, we see that until the beginning of the 18th Century the Jewish population of Jarosław lived in an unstable and insecure atmosphere because of the occasional renewal of the anti-Jewish sentiments implicitly embodied in the laws that there should be no more than two Jewish homes in Jarosław placing them unavoidably under the sword of Damocles. But nevertheless, in spite of the ongoing conflict and the will to exist, the Jewish population continued to increase in number and strength and especially after the economic downturn of the town, the Jews found themselves in command of the town's economy and they increased evermore.
The common danger experienced by the Jewish population of Jarosław that was engendered by the anti-Jewish acts of 1571, pushed them instinctively to draw together in one place since it was a natural response to the hostile surroundings and living together provided a common defense to whatever was coming. Thus was born, towards the end of the 17th Century, the Jewish street in the north-western corner of the town (today, the neighborhood of the Great Synagogue), in other words the ghetto. Nevertheless, there was a basic difference between the concept of the ghetto as it was created in many European towns of the late middle-ages at the instigation of the Christian communities who forced the Jews to live in them and prohibited them from leaving them, as against the Jewish street in Jarosław which was a direct creation of the Jews themselves in choosing to live close together as a form of self defense.
Indeed, as the framework of the Jewish settlement expanded and in accordance with their growing number, deaths within their ranks became more common and the community began to think in terms of creating their own cemetery because the carrying of the dead to distant Przemyśl was becoming burdensome and intolerable, even on occasion leading in some cases of disrespect to the departed. There isn't a shadow of doubt that the general opinion of the Jews of Przemyśl themselves objected strongly to the idea from many aspects but especially budgetary considerations because they would lose the benefit of all the burial fees that were being paid to them for burial services. But the Council of the Four Lands that convened in Jarosław in 1700 decided in favor and authorized the creation of a cemetery in Jarosław. From then the project began to go forward to a planning stage.
In compliance with the law De non tolerandis Judaeis, the cemetery was built outside the city walls in the Russian quarter beyond the Pełkinie Gate. It was in clear defiance of the Privilege of 1638 that was given to the Jews of Przemyśl according to which they were obliged to bury their dead in Przemyśl and also the first step towards the freeing of the community from the authority and regime of the central community of the town.
The purchase of the land cost the Jewish community several thousand Polish gulden in addition to which they were obliged to pay the heads of the Jarosław clergy every year on St Martin's day the sum of seven gulden. If it happened that the sum was not available to time, they were compelled to pay an annual interest of 120 gulden. The negotiations on behalf of the Jews were delegated to three Jews, Mordecai, Joel and Zalman Jacobowitz.
At the same time that the cemetery was being established the burial fees were also fixed. The maximum was sixty gulden and anyone who expressed the wish to be buried in another town was charged thirty gulden. In the event that a poverty-stricken person died during the Fair and it was difficult to determine his place of residence, money was collected from shop-keepers and the compassionate to purchase the burial shrouds. Here we must mention that four members of the Council of the Four Lands, Rabbi Naphtali Cohen of Poznań, Rabbi Shaul and Mr. Zachariah Mendel of Krakow, Mr. Mena.ḥem Mendel of Lvov consecrated the cemetery ground and they also fixed the above-mentioned burial fees.
Among the distinguished people buried in the cemetery who were not residents of Jarosław were Rabbi Meir of Husakiv, the father of Rabbi Yitzhak Levi of Bardichev known as the Holy One of Barditchev. Even Rabbi Meir was connected with Jarosław because his son Levi Yitzhak studied there during his youth and was known as the Jarosław prodigy. For all that, it is not known for certain how he came to be buried in Jarosław and not in Husakiv, where he was born, or in Przemyśl where he served as the town Rabbi.
During that same period, the 1690's, the Chair of the Chief Rabbi of Jarosław was occupied by Rabbi Yeshiayhu, the son of Rabbi Natan Netta of Krakow who, by all accounts was the first Rabbi of Jarosław. It seems in those days there was another Jarosław under the authority of the central government of Przemyśl so there was some uncertainty concerning the Privilege of 1638 about the Rabbi of Przemyśl. Indeed Jarosław was not his last stop because from there he received the Rabbanut of the town of Kowale in Wohlinia and one can assume that already in 1700 he was no longer in Jarosław for otherwise he would certainly have taken part in the consecration of the cemetery as the local Rabbi together with the four mentioned above.
From the same period there is preserved from the synagogue the prayer book from 1695 as used by the Jews of Jarosław, composed by Josef Kahana. The prayer book, made of parchment, has on nearly every page, hand-drawn various artistic illustrations. Among the prayers were: Reception of the Sabbath, the Angels' praises for King Jan III Sobieski, the prayer for rain, lamentations in memory of those victims of the Cossacks from 1647, and an edited version of the O Lord who art full of compassion prayer in memory of the martyrs of Nemyrov (Niemirów, Nemirova) and Tul'chyn (Tulczyn), who fell in 1647,.
That prayer book is therefore an accurate and confirmed, incontrovertible source that at the end of the 17th Century there was a synagogue in Jarosław. Nevertheless, because of the lack of historical sources, we know nothing of its architectural design or the materials from which it was constructed but it is certain beyond doubt that because of the law of 1571 they were forced to erect it outside the city walls as was the case with the cemetery.
Although what Orlowycz tells us that in the Russian suburb beyond the Pełkinie gate in 1675 the Jews had two synagogues is simply not acceptable and must be seen as an absurd exaggeration, for in the second half of the 17th Century there were simply not enough Jews in Jarosław as to justify two synagogues.
Here we have a Jewish street, a separate cemetery, Rabbi and synagogue all going to prove conspicuously how deeply entrenched were the roots of the Jewish community of Jarosław. From the start of the 18th Century, the community was already a significant element and by then an important factor, with which, not only the city, its rulers and Christian residents, but also the central authority in Przemyśl had to take into consideration. Thus, the Jews of Jarosław began the march to independence and in the not too distant future, it would become an independent community in its own right.
Part of the town center, market place and municipality
[Page 26 - Hebrew] [Page 51 - Yiddish]
by Rabbi Moshe Steinberg
Translated by Selwyn Rose
There was a significant turning-point in the history of the Jewish community in Jarosław in 1774. It was the beginning of a very important period. That same year the Jewish community of Jarosław became totally independent of its big sister the central authority located in Przemyśl, and became a separate and independent one. There were, however, attempts by the community of Przemyśl to change things back to the status quo ante and at the request of Przemyśl, King August III renewed the Privilege of 1638; but it was simply a voice calling in the wilderness because the independence of the Jarosław community was already an established fact.
In the second half of the 18th Century, the number of Jews continued to grow and according to the statistics of 1765, the number of Jewish residents in Jarosław was recorded as 1,884. Together with the increase in numbers, the boundaries of the Jewish settlement grew and from 1785, the surrounding villages were also part of it.
At the head of the community stood six community Elders but in practice all the business of the community was handled by just three of them known as Reginars who received their salaries from the community coffers. The functions of the three of them were significantly restricted and upon them was the task of preparing a list of all those paying tax and fixing the amount of tax that each person had to pay. The Elders were elected for a period of three years and at the end of each session, new elections were held. During the second half of the 19th Century, the Reginars decided to forgo their salaries and fulfilled their duties voluntarily.
The first Rabbi of the independent community was Rabbi Moshe Yehoshua Horowitz.
Before we continue to write all the names of the Rabbis who came after him, we should note at this point all the others known to us, who officiated as Rabbis of the town in order, in the period between the first Rabbi of Jarosław Rabbi Yeshaya Bar Natan Netta (see above in section 'B') and Rabbi Moshe Yehoshua Halevi Horowitz above:
Rabbi Ya'acov Ashkenazi, the brother of Naphtali Hertz Ashkenazi, Head of the Rabbinical Court of Lvov.[Page 28]
Rabbi Arieh Leibush Halevi Horowitz, the brother of the above Rabbi Moshe Yehoshua.
Rabbi Zaḥaria Mendel Frankel the son of Rabbi Meir Frankel Head of the Rabbinical Court of Międzyrzec (Mezeritz, Mezritch). He was the son-in-law of the above Rabbi Arieh Leibush and the student of Rabbi Noam Elimeleḥ of Leżajsk (Lizhensk), the author of Ha-Noam Elimeleḥ . There are many who say that the book The Ways of Justice attributed to Rabbi Mendel of Łużki (Luzhki) is, in fact by Rabbi Zaḥaria.
Rabbi Ya'acov Ḥaim Halperin was the son of Mr. Avraham of Lublin, member of the Council of the Four Lands. Already as a young child, he was recognized as being exceptionally gifted and married the daughter of Rabbi Avraham Yitzhak Ḥazak, known as the Physician of Jarosław. He was a gifted doctor and sought by many of the great and noble of Poland, extremely wealthy and a member of the Council of the Four Lands. After his wedding, his father-in-law sent him to Prague to the Yeshiva of the Gaon Rabbi Yohanan Eybeschütz and counted among the greatest of his pupils and while still young in years was installed as Rabbi of Jarosław. Not long after he was installed as Rabbi of his home town Lublin.
Ḥaya, the wife of his youth, died 15th Iyar 5512 (29th April 1752), in Lublin and on the first day of the month of Elul 5529, (3rd September 1769), Rabbi Ya'acov Ḥaim Halperin died and was buried with honor in Lublin.It is appropriate to point out here, that the Halperin Family was known in Jarosław because at the end of the 17th Century the two brothers. Mordecai and Rabbi Joel Halperin lived there. They were the sons of Rabbi Yitzhak Isaac Halperin, Head of the Rabbinical Court of Tykocin.
His son, Rabbi Yitzhak Halperin, was the Rabbi of Tarnow, his daughter Zippora was the wife of Rabbi Yosef Hochgelernter, the author of Mishnat Ḥaḥamim a commentary on the Rambam, and his second daughter was the wife of Rabbi Avraham Ha-Cohen of Zamość (Zamoshtch), the author of Beit Avraham - Questions and Responsa.
Rabbi Ya'acov Ḥaim Halperin was the descendant of the Gaon Moshe Halperin of Brześć Litewski (Brisk, Brest-Litovsk).
After Rabbi Moshe Yehoshua Halevi Horowitz left Jarosław, the son-in-law of Rabbi Zaḥaria Mendel Frankel, the earlier Rabbi of Jarosław, was appointed Rabbi of Jarosław, Rabbi Yehuda Leib Heller was the son of Rabbi Ze'ev Wolf of Dobrzyń (Dobrin), and the grandson of the Rabbi Yom Tov Lipman Heller, author of Tosafot Yom Tov.
In a dramatic scenario, the second son-in-law of Rabbi Zaḥaria Mendel Frankel, Rabbi Naphtali Hertz Ḥariff (sharp) was appointed Rabbi of Jarosław from among the wise members of the Brody Kloiz. At the end of the 18th Century, when the question of the Rabbinate of Jarosław arose, the heads of the community offered the position to the above Rabbi but because of his advanced age, he declined the offer. And because Rabbi Ya'acov Meshulam Orenstein, the author of Yeshuot Ya'acov the son-in-law of Rabbi Tzvi Hirsch Wahl, was in town he was chosen and installed as the Rabbi. Nevertheless, the wife of Rabbi Naphtali Hertz continuously agitated her husband for having declined the honor and when this became known to Rabbi Orenstein, he returned the formal document since he was reluctant to show opposition to his uncle, thus he was again installed as Rabbi of Jarosław.
Rabbi Naphtali Hertz Ḥarif approved of the book Shem Shmuel a work of commentaries on the Torah, by Rabbi Shmuel Salir, Rav and Head of the Rabbinic Court of Lvóv (Lviv Lwów), published by the author's son Rabbi Natan Hecht of Jarosław. Old and blessed in years, Rabbi Naphtali Hertz passed away in 1819.
During his incumbency as the Rabbi of the town, the Great Synagogue was erected, and is still standing until today. On 6th Tammuz 1810 a building committee was created for the synagogue headed by Rabbi Naphtali Hertz Ḥarif and already by 15th Av 1811 they had the pleasure of celebrating its completion.
To state the obvious, the synagogue was built within the town itself
and not outside its walls, as were the first synagogue and cemetery compelled to do in order to comply with the anti-Jewish edict of 1571 then in force.
Regarding the building materials used in constructing the synagogue, Orlowycz had his own ideas. In 1807, the church steeple collapsed during a prayer service and more than twenty people were killed. The Austrian authorities ordered the entire building to be razed and as a sign of support for the Jews transferred the rubble to the Jewish authorities to use in the construction of the synagogue. That proposition has, of course, to be discounted with full vigor since it goes against any possibility of complying with Halaḥa.
In the meantime, the Jewish settlement continued to grow and according to the statistics of 1813, there were 2,355 Jews representing 25% of the total population.
Starting in 1845, the Jewish community was headed by Dr. Mauritz Frankel. He was energetic and courageous, talented and progressive and during the 37 years of his leadership, he was at first a Reginar and later the elected chairman of the Jarosław community, fighting for its advancement and giving a helping hand to the Haskala movement. At no time, however, was Jarosław in any way a bastion of Haskala like Lvóv, Brody and Tarnopol in Galicia and Odessa, Kovno and Vilna and Warsaw then in Russia. Nevertheless the movement did find its way into town and struck roots, due mainly to the tireless efforts of Dr. Frankel on behalf of the town which became almost totally Haskala
It is quite possible that the Haskala movement in Jarosław prepared the ground for Yitzhak Arter, the student of the apostate Yosef Thaler. Arter came from the village of Chojnice (Khoynitsy), in the region of Przemyśl. Until 1814, he was a teacher in Jarosław and as such gave his soul to the movement. His activism was continued by the poet Aryeh Leib Kinderfreund who was born in Zamość and moved to Jarosław in that year and from there to Brody. Taking his advice, Arter tried to obtain a post as teacher at Josef Perle's school in Tarnopol but when that failed, he moved to Lvov. Here he met fierce opposition from the Rabbi of Lvóv, Rabbi Ya'acov Meshulam Ornstein the author of Yeshuot Ya'acov and published a boycott dissociating himself from him, declaring him as mistaken, in error, a deceiver, detractor and inciter. The Austrian government even became involved and compelled the Rabbi to cancel the boycott. Nevertheless, Arter found no means of sustenance in the hostile atmosphere and was forced to leave Lvóv and move to Brody where he quickly made a name for himself as a distinguished writer and a leading Haskala proponent in Galicia.
Among those born in Jarosław who were predominant Haskala stalwarts was Wolf Weiler (born in 1819). But unlike most of the Haskala followers, he didn't break his ties with the
academic world, because the study of Torah was his hobby and as an ex-student of a Yeshiva he had published a number of articles on the Torah under the name Benjamin Ze'ev Aharon, in which were found sharp and knowledgeable comments.
And if, with the beginning of the 19th Century the Haskala movement began its first steps in Jarosław and succeeded by the second half of the Century to conquer the community, thanks to the efforts of Dr. Frenkel, the Ḥassidim and scholarliness had made their mark on the town. Among the founding personalities of the Ḥassidim in Jarosław were Rabbi Zaḥaria Mendel Frenkel, the Rabbi of Jarosław, the student of Rabbi Elimeleḥ of Leżajsk (Lizhensk), author of Noam Elimelech, and above all, the Rav Rabbi Shimon Marilys known as Rabbi Shimon the Jarosławi, the author of the book Shimon on the Torah. He was the student of the Seer of Lublin, and also travelled to visit Rabbi Shalom Rokaḥ of Belz and other righteous men of his time and wrote in his book on the verse Justice. Justice thou shalt seek, in the book of Judges: and thus I strove to travel to the righteous ones even in my old age.[a] He passed away on the first day of Succoth, 1850 (ZL) and was interred with honor in Jarosław in a special mausoleum next to the mausoleum on his left bearing his son Rabbi Bonam Mendel and to his right his son-in-law Rabbi Kehat Halperin, in one corner the wife of Rabbi Bonam Mendel and in another corner the wife of Rabbi Kehat, Mrs. Sheyndl Reisel. The others of his offspring, the continuation of the dynasty were Rabbi David, Eliezer and Rabbi Yisrael. The first of them died of natural causes about two years before the outbreak of World War Two and was brought to a burial in the family vault.
A native-born resident of Jarosław who became famous as a Gaon and righteous person was Rabbi Aryeh Leibish Lipshitz Head of the Rabbinical Courts of Korosteszów (Korshev), Ścinawa, Wyżnica (Vizhnitz) and Brzesko (Briegel). He was born in 1766 to his father, Rabbi Haim Lipshitz and when he was ten-years old was already recognized as a scholar of the Babylonian and Jerusalem Talmuds and considered a child wonder and referred to as Rabbi Leibish the Sharp. He was the student of the author of Ktzot Ha-Ḥoshen Rabbi Aryeh Lev Ha-Cohen, an authoritative work and a friend of the author of Yeshuot Ya'acov.
He authored two books Questions and Responsa as Aryeh Devi Ila'i and several learned works on the Tractate of Ketuvot from the Gemara
his Ḥassidut Rabbi was The Seer of Lublin who was his son-in-law from the second marriage of Rabbi Moshe Teitelbaum, the author of Yismaḥ Moshe. When his son-in-law was accepted as the Rabbi of Ujhely (Ihel), he filled his place as Rabbi of Ścinawa from where he moved to Wyżnica (Vizhnitz) and later to Brzesko (Briegel) where he died and was buried with honor. He died on 17 Tevet 1845. His daughter was the wife of Rabbi Yehezkiel Shraga Halberstein of Ścinawa.
A conspicuous personality in the Jarosław gallery of Ḥassidim was Rabbi Mendel Hassid (died 1824). According to his will, he wrote that all who would come and pray over his grave on Sabbath Eves would have their dearest wishes fulfilled and consequently masses of people would come and prostrate themselves on his grave.
In conclusion we must mention that a few years before the Holocaust Grand Rabbi Yehoshua Rokeach of Jarosław, son of Rabbi Issachar Dov of Belz came to settle in town. For many years Rabbi Elimeleḥ Lam a direct descendant of Rabbi Elimeleḥ of Leżajsk, known to all as the Rabbi of the Land of Israel because he had lived there for a time. He had the habit of wearing three sets of phylacteries for Rashi, Rabbi Ya'acov ben Meir and a representative group known by the acronym SHaDaR.
It is thanks to the activities of these men, Jarosław claimed an honored position in the world of Ḥassidut and it is no surprise that they were considered as being God-fearing and reverenced. But in addition to that, Jarosław was and had always been a place of Torah and an indication of such was that the Rabbi Meir of Hýskov considered it wise to send his son the author of Kedushat Levi to study Torah in Jarosław. There were three elements directing Jarosław in the path of learning: A) The Council of the Four Lands made it their meeting-place and the town therefore hosted the great Gaonim of the era, B) The Chief Rabbis of Jarosław were among the greats of Torah learning, C) The personality of the author of Yeshuot Ya'acov who resided there at the time in the Hill of Talpiot. Among the regular visitors, who gathered in Jarosław were Rabbi Aharon Moshe Tobias the author of To'efet Ram, who later officiated as Rabbi of Śniatyń and Iaºi (Yassi) Rabbi of Tarnogród (Tarnogrud) and approved of by Rabbi Eliezer Horowitz the author of Noam Megadim.
Referring to his time in Jarosław in his memoirs, Rabbi Ya'acov Meshulam Ornstein the author of Yeshuot Ya'acov, praised the Jews of Jarosław in general, and its students in particular, as masters of the Torah and scholars.
And although from the middle of the nineteenth century there was a turning point in the fashion and essence of Jarosław, a considerable part of it turned its back on Ḥassidism and Torah study, slowly severing its ties with the old world and in the streets of Jewish Jarosław began a new spirit of education and progress. And as a result of that there was an increase of assimilation and about twenty years after its beginning, it returned to its former glory and there were again many Torah scholars, Ḥassidim and functionaries.
With the end of the First World War, Jarosław began
The city square and the City Hall
a vibrant revival of national and religious life and the impact of the revival penetrated deep into the hearts of the youth, and from then the Aliyah began. In the beginning there were mainly individuals, but over time the Aliyah grew and encompassed wider circles and hardly ceased until the Holocaust.
When in 1772 the first division of Poland occurred and Austria acquired Galicia, on the 18th February 1788 a military order under which everyone, irrespective of ethnic or religious background, was obliged to serve in the army. From one point of view, the Jews could consider it a significant advantage because it meant that the Austrian government would be publicly and implicitly recognizing the Jews but on the other hand, the Jews were unable to come to terms with the edict because military service then was terrible in their eyes. They therefore were much relieved when, in 1827, when the above law was corrected and it became possible for those who were unable to fulfill their obligation for personal reasons could send someone in their place on payment of a certain sum of money. In all the towns of Galicia, special committees were created with the aim of raising enough money by contributions that made it possible even for the poor, to pay for someone to replace him in the army.
On the 9th Tevet, 1834 such a committee was brought into being in Jarosław with seven members from among respected members of the community, headed by Rabbi Shimon. When in 1854 Rabbi Yitzhak Ya'acov Horowitz the Rabbi of Cieszńow was installed as Rabbi of the town, he became head of that committee. Rabbi Horowitz was the son of Rabbi Arieh, Head of the Rabbinical Court of Trembowla (Trembovla) and he occupied the Rabbi's chair until the day of his death 24th Tevet 1864.
About three years after his death, Rabbi Shmuel Waldberg was chosen as the town Rabbi. He had been the Rabbi of Żółkiew (Zholkeva) for ten years but because of arguments that had broken out between him and the community, he left Żółkiew and moved to Jarosław to officiate as town Rabbi in 1867. But the relationships between him and the community of Jarosław were also not satisfactory and an open dispute broke out reaching such proportions that in 1871 the community dismissed him and only thanks to the intervention of Rabbi Lowenstein of Lvóv was the feud finally settled. In spite of that, the relationship of the community with Rabbi Waldberg remained cool.
Rabbi Waldberg authored five books: Omrei Da'at, Ateret Shoshanim, Davar B'ito, Darkei Ha-Shinu'im and Divrei Shmuel a book commenting on the order of the alphabet. He died in 1906 when he was 77 years old.
His brother, Moshe Waldberg was one of the big bankers in Bucharest and among the initiators of the trade
agreement between the Austrian-Hungarian Empire and Rumania in 1875. As a result of that on 12th June 1875, he was raised to the Nobility and 16th May, 1884 became a Baron. He died in 1901 and almost immediately upon his death his son converted to Christianity,
In the meantime shockwaves had stunned the Jewish community because on the 25th March 1869 gangs of Jarosław ruffians had spontaneously descended upon the Jewish community in an anti-Semitic rage, robbing and looting Jewish stores and stalls, smashing the windows of Jewish homes and the home of Adolph Julius Strisower was particularly damaged. And in addition, many among the Jewish population suffered injuries. The rioting bullies exploited the hostile attitude of the local authorities towards the Jews and succeeded in their depredations from the 25th March until the 5th April (with a few small pauses) without any reaction from the authorities. Only through the efforts of the Lvóv Regional representative and thanks to the impassioned plea of a Jew who pleaded with the army in Jarosław to intervene in the desperate situation that had developed, did the pogrom come to a halt.
As evidence strengthening our claim that the hatred of Jews was in the hearts of the Jarosław authorities, we present the following facts:
When the representatives of the community, Hirsch Barihal and Sandor Gavel appeared before the Regional officer named Halbyk asking his help and that he should act against the hooligans, he replied in vulgar and brutal language: Clear off out of here!
According to the advice of the mayor at the time, the Municipality decided to forbid Jews to take part in any form of public auctions.
But exactly as recorded in the Bible: But the more the Egyptians oppressed them, the more the Israelites multiplied and spread and the more alarmed the Egyptians became. The census of 1872 shows that the Jewish population of Jarosław then numbered more than 4,500. Three hundred children attended non-Jewish schools and the community maintained a teacher for Hebrew, and sustained him at their expense. Also maintained was a Jewish hospital with thirty beds financed from the income of the bath-house. A significant element of the hospital's budget was from different donations, legacies and estates.
A most important date in the history of the Jewish community of Jarosław was 1876. In that year, the system of the Reginar ceased to exist and for the first time elections were held, in which sixteen members were chosen. The rule of the few was replaced by the democratically elected representatives. Even so, the right to vote was still restricted to those who paid taxes and even though there was still not a general election it a great step forward in the direction of democratization of the community. The elections took place on 5th October, 1876,
and the number of voters entitled to vote, together with the surrounding villagers was 268. It is worthwhile noting that women too, if they paid taxes, had the right to vote but only by appointing a male power of attorney. Dr. Frankel was elected Chairman and his deputy the attorney Dr. Emil Gottlieb.
In 1880, the town of Redimno (Redem) that up until now had been considered an extension of the community of Jarosław was granted freedom and independence. In 1883, Dr. Frenkel left Jarosław and moved to Lvov where he died two years later at the age of 77. His place as chairman was filled by his deputy Dr. Gottlieb who remained in that post until the end of that session on 31st December 1885. The cooperation between the elected members was not good and when Dr. Friedwald resigned together with five other members Dr. Gottlieb was forced to hold new elections for six new members.
In 1885 the doctor Ya'acov Raff was elected as Chairman and in the four years of his Chairmanship he earned for himself the general support and respect of the community and thus on his retirement in 1889, he was unanimously elected as honorary president of the Community.
His successor was Heinrich Strisower who was elected Chairman 27th November 1889. During his time in office, the new Study House was built on the site of the old one. On the site of the Talmud Torah a school with two classes was erected, named for Baron Hirsch, an old people's home financed from the estate of Chairman Adolph Strisower's father while the chairman himself contributed 1,000 Gulden, paving the road to the cemetery and building there a waiting room. In addition, it was decided to refurbish the Great Synagogue, build a slaughter-house for poultry and a bath-house in the town because the previous one stood in an inconvenient location and was deemed to be unfit for use. A special committee was formed, headed by the Chairman's brother, Julius Strisower. The committee's task was to manage the building of the bath-house. In the meantime, the Chairman Heinrich Strisower passed away in 1905 after he had managed the community's affairs for 15 years. Heinrich Strisower's period in office was seen as a period of construction and creativity. And it is appropriate that if, until now the lingua franca of the community had been German, it was decided in a committee meeting in February 1902 that henceforth the official language of the community shall be Polish.
After him, on 18th January 1906 Dr. Avraham Friedwald was elected as Chairman and his deputy Julius Strisower who was the living spirit of the community. The first actions taken by the new administration were restricted and only the earlier, planned buildings
were executed; thus the bath-house, the slaughter-house and the Great Synagogue were raised.
And now, after the post of town Rabbi had remained vacant for a number of years, the community approached the election of a Rabbi on 7th January, 1914. The main candidates at the time were: Rabbi Leibush Mendel Landau, the disciple of Rabbi Yitzhak Schmelkes of Lvóv and Rabbi Meir Horowitz from Buczacz (Betshotsh). Because neither of the two candidates received the required two-thirds of the votes, neither one was accepted and installed
With the outbreak of World War One in 1914, the committee decided to institute a special fund to the sum of 300 Kroner, to assist all the needy and poverty-stricken families (with no discrimination of religion) whose head of family had been mobilized into the army, and to the Polish National fund the sum of 200 Kroner.
Immediately with the cessation of hostilities, on June 19th 1918 (sic) anti-Semitic rioting broke out in Jarosław and among other damage windows in the bath-house and the Great Synagogue were smashed. In the light of the serious situation with its anti-Semitic background, the National Jewish Council organized representatives from all the Jewish parties with the objective of protecting the rights and interests of the Jews political, national and economic. The National Council saw itself as the only representative of the Jews and turned to the committee and demanded that it resign and transfer power to the National Council in all matters concerning the Jewish population. Taking into consideration the critical situation, the committee agreed to broaden its framework and named some additional new members from outside the present committee and the situation became calmer.
In May 1919, Dr. Friedwald resigned as Chairman of the committee and of all public activities he preferred the Talmud Torah of which he had been Chairman for many years. As an old man, Dr. Friedwald passed away on the 6th January 1937.
On the 6th May 1919, Julius Strisower, honored as Advisor to the Emperor was installed as Chairman in his place. When Julius Strisower took the reins of power in the Jarosław community, he was already well-known as the previous deputy chairman and involved in the life of the community as a founder in 1917 of the orphanage in Jarosław, manager of the town's savings fund and as deputy mayor. The first act of the newly appointed Chairman was his war against the profiteering of basic needs and he was active in the field of philanthropy and among other things, he was head of the Jarosław branch committee of help for Polish Jews. Among his tasks was to assist all those in need who suffered as a result of the war.
When life returned more or less to normal, and the situation stabilized, the time came to elect a Rabbi for the town since the post had been vacant for fifteen years. At a joint session of the committee and the residents on 25th May 1921, the father of the author of these few lines Rabbi Yitzhak Steinberg (ZL), of Halicz (Helitch) was installed as the town's Rabbi. He also acted as Head of the Rabbinical Court until the outbreak of World War Two until the destruction. The Rabbi Yitzhak Steinberg, the son of Rabbi Shemaiah Steinberg Head of the Rabbinical Court of Przemyśl, the son of Rabbi Avraham Menaḥem Mendel Steinberg, Head of the Rabbinical Court of Brody, the author of Questions and Responses Abraham's Play, was the last Rabbi of Jewish Jarosław.
In April 1924 Rabbi Steinberg was elected as Head of the Rabbinical Court in Radom but after a while he resigned his position because of the many internecine arguments and feuds that existed there for many years and also because the pressures brought upon him by the community of Jarosław not to accept the post in Radom. On 3rd May 1926 after speaking in the Great Synagogue in honor of a national festival beginning that day, in a spontaneous meeting of the respected leaders of the congregation they demanded of the congregation to make every effort to persuade Rabbi Steinberg to resign his new post in Radom. In consideration of their pleas, he relinquished the seat in Radom.
The Court of Rabbi Steinberg was at first comprised of two Dayanim: Rabbi Pinḥas Hemerling and Rabbi Benjamin Moshe Goldman. As this latter Rabbi aged, a third Dayan Rabbi David Diller was appointed in his place.
Apart from Rabbi Steinberg's normal duties as town Rabbi, he also preached Torah and instituted study classes in his home for the youth and Yeshiva students. He was the manager of the Talmud Torah that in its day was a most important educational foundation in town where several hundred children learned. In 1923 the Talmud Torah became a small Yeshiva that was headed by Rabbi Mordecai Ḥaim Hertzberg of Pistyń (Pistin), the author of Tamḥin D'oraita.
In 1928, the charitable organization Gemilat Ḥassidim was created in Jarosław headed by Julius Strisower but a few years later Rabbi Steinberg was appointed Chairman. The charity did much to fulfill the needs of the impoverished especially the small traders and stall-holders who received loans at no interest. Because of this help, they were able to manage and save their small businesses from total collapse.
A most praiseworthy and blessed element of Rabbi Steinberg's activities was his dedication to helping the Jewish soldiers serving in Jarosław. Thanks to his efforts the military authorities in Jarosław compelled all the Jewish soldiers to attend prayers on Shabbat and Festivals in the Great Synagogue as an organized group. He also
founded a special fund to ensure that religious Jewish soldiers were provided with Kosher food during their military service and with the approach of Passover stood at the head of Operation Pessaḥ with the target of ensuring that a special kitchen was organized to supply them with special Passover food for the whole week of the festival. The Passover meal opening the festival for the soldiers was conducted with the participation of Rabbi Steinberg and the Cantor Meshulam Lam.
With the outbreak of World War Two, the Rabbi left Jarosław moving to eastern Galicia and from there was exiled to the Ural forests of Russia. He had many adventures during his years of exile especially in Samarkand in Uzbekistan. The wanderings from place to place, the conditions in which he lived, hunger, changes of climate, it all had a negative effect upon him including the death of his son the writer's brother, Benjamin Ze'ev who died in Samarkand at a young age. At the age of seventeen, he was licensed as a teacher and left behind him the manuscript of Commentaries on the 'Tur Shulḥan Aruḥ' of Maimonides.
After the Holocaust, Rabbi Steinberg was installed as the Rabbi of Brussels, the capital of Belgium and in 1951 immigrated to Israel where he became Head of the Rabbinical Court of the Tel-Aviv area and lastly as the Rabbi of the Yeshuran synagogue, in Tel-Aviv. During the Holocaust all his writings, on all the aspects of the Torah were lost among them his manuscript of Sha'arei Yitzhak The Gates of Isaac a treatise on the Mezuzah. He died 27th Heshvan 1966 and was buried with honor in Tel-Aviv.
On 1st April 1925, a ceremonial meeting took place in the Council's meeting room, celebrating the consecration of the Hebrew University on Mount Scopus, Jerusalem. At the suggestion of Dr. Schorr, it was decided to institute a stipend for a Jarosław-born student of little means enabling him to study at the Hebrew University and to send a congratulatory letter in Hebrew and Polish to the Rector of the University.
In 1927, celebrating the tenth anniversary of the Orphanage Home, the institution was renamed in honor of its founder, The Julius Strisower Orphanage Home because of the indisputable fact that he dedicated so much effort to its creation and he was as much a true surrogate father to the orphans. Even after they matured and left the home, he interested himself in their progress, welfare and education with heartfelt devotion.
In 1928 new elections were held in Jarosław for the community council and on the basis of the new constitution twenty members were elected apart from the local sitting Rabbi. Julius Strisower was again elected Chairman and his Deputy, Dr. Mauritz Ettinger; as Chairman of the Council
the attorney Dr. Maximilian Segal was elected while his deputy was Eliezer Berish Goldman, an estate holder.
With the ending of that term, all parties in Jarosław agreed to prevent at all costs, election wars and a wall-to-wall front was created including economic non-party circles. The agreement found approval in the eyes of the whole town and without an election, the elected members of the community took control in 1934.
Sitting from R to L: A. Reich, A. Rager, Rabbi Yitzhak Steinberg, L. Diller
Standing from R. to L: Sh. Licht, M. Hass, Piskosh, Sh. Lang, A. Glass, N. Tanzer, L. Metzger
At the head of the management stood the attorney, Dr. Shmuel Schorr, the brother of the Senator Professor Rabbi Moshe Schorr of Warsaw. As a man who stood far away from the stormy world of politics and Party and as a supporter of rebirth, he was considered to be the right man in the right place and Eliezer Berish Goldman was elected as the deputy Chairman. Max Selig was elected as chairman of the council as representative of the Zionist Organization. Shimon Spiegel, the owner of a silk-screens factory and Chairman of the Artisans and Traders' Bank of Jarosław and representative of Mizrahi was his elected deputy and after his immigration to Palestine, his place as deputy was taken by Adolph Rager as representative of the Craftsmen's Association.
From its very beginning the management of the community under Dr. Schorr ran into serious financial difficulties springing principally from a reduction in incomes because of the notorious Pristor Law. Nevertheless, the congregation participated in the maintenance of the institutions
by subsidies, and the old people's home was maintained by the congregation alone, at its expense. Two community buildings, each of two storeys, were used by the congregation only. In one of them were the offices of the congregation, the Gemilat Hassidim (Charity for the Poor), and the meeting room. In the second building was the old people's home Taz of ambulatory residents, managed by Dr. Mauritz Shafetz who for some years, had been the head of the Zionist Federation in Jarosław; The offices of the Rabbanut were in the same building.
The full complement of both the management and the community Council until the outbreak of World War Two was as follows:
Sr. Shmuel Schorr (Chairman), Eliezer Berish Goldman (Deputy Chairman of management), Committee members of the management: Moshe Hess, Leib Metzger, Max Folkman, Elimeleḥ Reich, Dr Wilhelm Schwarzer, Mendel Schlafrig and Rabbi Yitzhak Steinberg.These were the names of the last committee members of Jarosław before the destruction.
Max Selick (Chairman of the Council), Adolph Rager (Deputy Chairman). Members of the Council: Yona Everett, Mordecai Orenbach, Avraham Glat, Shimon Licht, Yeshaya Lang, Dr. Mauritz Meister, Eliyahu Sandik, Haim Aharon Zilbiger, Adolph Fechter and Aharon Rosenfeld.
JewishGen, Inc. makes no representations regarding the accuracy of
the translation. The reader may wish to refer to the original material
JewishGen is not responsible for inaccuracies or omissions in the original work and cannot rewrite or edit the text to correct inaccuracies and/or omissions.
Our mission is to produce a translation of the original work and we cannot verify the accuracy of statements or alter facts cited.
Jarosław, Poland Yizkor Book Project JewishGen Home Page
This web page created by Max G. Heffler
Copyright © 1999-2021 by JewishGen, Inc.
Updated 2 Dec 2020 by MGH