The Book of Strzyzow and Vicinity
(Strzyżów, Poland)

 

Translation of
Sefer Strzyzow ve-ha-seviva

Published by the JewishGen Press
part of Yizkor Books Project of JewishGen, Inc.

Original Yizkor Book Edited by: Itzhok Berglass and Shlomo Yahalomi-Diamond
Project Coordinator: Phyllis Kramer z”l
Layout and Name Indexing: Jonathan Wind
Reproduction of Photographs: Stefanie Holtzman
Cover Design: Rachel Kolokoff Hopper
Hard Cover, 8.5” by 11”, 530 pages with original photographs

Available from JewishGen for $39.00

 

Details:

Strzyżów (also known as Strizev in Yiddish and Strezow in German) is today a major town in southern Poland (it was in Galicia, an Imperial Province of Austria Hungary, from 1776 to 1919). The earliest known Jewish community appeared in the 16th century, but it a synagogue was built in the 18th century.

In 1824, there 560 Jews lived in the town, while in 1870, the entire Jewish kehilla had 933 members. At that time, the community employed two rabbis and had a synagogue, a Hasidic kloyz, a bathhouse, a poorhouse, and a cemetery. In 1892, the Credit Society was established with Salomon Diamant at its helm.

In the 19th century, Strzyżów's economy continued to dynamically develop and several local Jews amassed considerable fortunes. The town continued to grow and in 1912, Strzyżów Jewish population was 1,150, almost 50% of its 2,237 inhabitants. The literacy level of Jews was substantially higher than that of their Catholic neighbors. Basic education was provided by cheders, which Jewish boys started to attend at age 3–4.

On the eve of the second world war, Strzyżów Jewish population was 1,300 out of the total 2,905 inhabitants. The kehilla owned a stone synagogue, a cheder, bathhouses, and a cemetery. The community had a great influence on the town's social and economic life.

The Germans occupied Strzyżów on September 15th, 1939. In June 1942, the Germans moved all remaining Jews from Strzyżów to the ghetto in Rzeszów.

May this book serve as a memorial to those who lived in Strzyżów.

 

Strzyżów, Poland is located at: 49°52' / 21°48'

 

Alternate names of the Town:

Strzyżów [Pol], Strizev [Yid], Strezow [Ger], Strizhev, Schizuv, Strisev, Strishuv, Strizhuv, Strizov

 

Nearby Jewish Communities:

Niebylec 4 miles E
Czudec 6 miles NNE
Frysztak 8 miles WSW
Domaradz 9 miles SE
Wielopole Skrzyńskie 10 miles NW
Korczyna 10 miles S
Jasienica Rosielna 10 miles SE
Zgłobień 11 miles NNE
Jedlicze 12 miles SSW
Tyczyn 12 miles NE
Krosno 13 miles S
Błażowa 13 miles E
Sędziszów Małopolski 15 miles NNW
Brzozów 15 miles SE
Ropczyce 15 miles NNW
Rzeszów 15 miles NE
Kołaczyce 17 miles WSW
Jasło 17 miles WSW
Brzostek 17 miles W
Zabratówka 19 miles ENE
Dynów 20 miles E
Rymanów 20 miles S
Głogów Małopolski 21 miles NNE
Nowy Żmigród 21 miles SW

 


This material is made available by JewishGen, Inc. and the Yizkor Book Project for the purpose of
fulfilling our mission of disseminating information about the Holocaust and destroyed Jewish communities.
This material may not be copied, sold or bartered without JewishGen, Inc.'s permission. Rights may be reserved by the copyright holder.


JewishGen, Inc. makes no representations regarding the accuracy of the translation. The reader may wish to refer to the original material for verification.
JewishGen is not responsible for inaccuracies or omissions in the original work and cannot rewrite or edit the text to correct inaccuracies and/or omissions.
Our mission is to produce a translation of the original work and we cannot verify the accuracy of statements or alter facts cited.

  Yizkor Books in Print     Yizkor Book Project     JewishGen Home Page


Yizkor Book Director, Lance Ackerfeld
This web page created by Lance Ackerfeld

Copyright © 1999-2022 by JewishGen, Inc.
Updated 17 Oct 2022 by LA