“Onga” - Encyclopedia of Jewish
Communities in Hungary
(Hungary)

48°07' 20°55'

Translation of the “Onga” chapter from
Pinkas Hakehillot Hungary

Edited by: Theodore Lavi

Published by Yad Vashem

Published in Jerusalem, 1975


Click here to see how to add a Memorial Plaque to this Yizkor Book
GoldPlaque SilverPlaque BronzePlaque

 

Acknowledgments

Our sincere appreciation to Yad Vashem
for permission to put this material on the JewishGen web site.

This is a translation from: Pinkas Hakehillot Hungary: Encyclopedia of Jewish Communities, Hungary,
Edited by Theodore Lavi, published by Yad Vashem, Jerusalem. Page 143.


This material is made available by JewishGen, Inc. and the Yizkor Book Project for the purpose of
fulfilling our mission of disseminating information about the Holocaust and destroyed Jewish communities.
This material may not be copied, sold or bartered without JewishGen, Inc.'s permission. Rights may be reserved by the copyright holder.


JewishGen, Inc. makes no representations regarding the accuracy of the translation. The reader may wish to refer to the original material for verification.
JewishGen is not responsible for inaccuracies or omissions in the original work and cannot rewrite or edit the text to correct inaccuracies and/or omissions.
Our mission is to produce a translation of the original work and we cannot verify the accuracy of statements or alter facts cited.


[Page 143]

Onga

Translated by Jerrold Landau

It is a village in the region of Abauj-Torna, district of Szikszó. Its population was 2,517 in 1941.

 

Jewish Population

Year Population
1880 77
1930 62

 

Until the Second World War

The first Jews arrived in Onga during the first half of the 18th century, and earned their livelihoods as workers in the estates of the Jew Guttmann.

Most of the Jews of Onga were merchants and tradesmen. There were also two innkeepers and several owners of small enterprises. Two Jews owned large estates. For a certain period, the local notary was a Jew.

The Orthodox community of Onga was subordinate to Szikzó. It ran a synagogue, a cemetery, a cheder, and a mikva [ritual bath]. A shochet [ritual slaughterer] served the community.

 

The Holocaust

The young people were distributed to forced labor camps in 1941. Most perished in them.

In April 1944, after the German conquest, the Jews of Onga were transferred to the Kassa Ghetto. From there they were transported to Auschwitz in four transports (the first on May 15, and the second on May 19). Most of the Jews of Onga were sent on the second transport. The majority of the deportees perished.

After the war, only isolated individuals returned. They, too left quickly.

Y.K.

 

Bibliography:
Yad Vashem Archives E-7-4/182.

 


This material is made available by JewishGen, Inc. and the Yizkor Book Project for the purpose of
fulfilling our mission of disseminating information about the Holocaust and destroyed Jewish communities.
This material may not be copied, sold or bartered without JewishGen, Inc.'s permission. Rights may be reserved by the copyright holder.


JewishGen, Inc. makes no representations regarding the accuracy of the translation. The reader may wish to refer to the original material for verification.
JewishGen is not responsible for inaccuracies or omissions in the original work and cannot rewrite or edit the text to correct inaccuracies and/or omissions.
Our mission is to produce a translation of the original work and we cannot verify the accuracy of statements or alter facts cited.

  Encyclopaedia of Jewish Communities. Hungary     Yizkor Book Project     JewishGen Home Page


Yizkor Book Project Manager, Binny Lewis
This web page created by Max G. Heffler

Copyright © 1999-2019 by JewishGen, Inc.
Updated 14 Apr 2018 by MGH