“Leliunai” - Encyclopedia of Jewish
Communities in Lithuania
(Leliūnai, Lithuania)

55° 28' / 25° 24'

Translation of the “Leliunai” chapter from
Pinkas Hakehillot Lita

Written by Dov Levin

Published by Yad Vashem

Published in Jerusalem, 1996



Project Coordinator

Barry Mann


Our sincere appreciation to Yad Vashem
for permission to put this material on the JewishGen web site.

This is a translation from: Pinkas Hakehillot Lita: Encyclopedia of Jewish Communities, Lithuania,
Editor: Prof. Dov Levin, Assistant Editor: Josef Rosin, published by Yad Vashem, Jerusalem.

This material is made available by JewishGen, Inc. and the Yizkor Book Project for the purpose of
fulfilling our mission of disseminating information about the Holocaust and destroyed Jewish communities.
This material may not be copied, sold or bartered without JewishGen, Inc.'s permission. Rights may be reserved by the copyright holder.

JewishGen, Inc. makes no representations regarding the accuracy of the translation. The reader may wish to refer to the original material for verification.
JewishGen is not responsible for inaccuracies or omissions in the original work and cannot rewrite or edit the text to correct inaccuracies and/or omissions.
Our mission is to produce a translation of the original work and we cannot verify the accuracy of statements or alter facts cited.

(Page 363)


In Yiddish, Lelyun

Written by Dov Levin

Translated by Shaul Yannai

A village and the center of a county, 8 km southwest of Utena, the district's city. For an extended period of time, Leliunail's land belonged to the the Pomarenatski and Artsimovitz aristocratic families. Before WWI (1897), Leliunai had 305 residents, including 140 Jews. At the beginning of the war (summer of 1915), the Jews were expelled to the interior of Russia. Not all of them returned after the war. The 1923 Lithuanian government census counted 353 residents, with 63 Jews among them. The Jews of Leliunai made their living mainly by trading flax, poultry, and crops. The village had weekly market days that were held on Thursdays. In 1939, the village had 3 telephones; one of them was owned by a Jewish farmer by the name of Israel Frak or Frakas. Leliunai had a “Kheder”, but some of the Jewish children studied in Utena, where the Jews of Leliunai also buried their dead. 7 people participated in Leliunai in the elections to the 18th Zionist Congress (1935): 6 voted for the Revisionist party, and 1 for the General Zionists A. During the period of Russian Rule (1940-1941), Leliunai had 240 residents, with 63 Jews among them. At the end of July, 1941, after the Germans conquered Lithuania, the fate of the Jews who remained in Leliunai was the same as the fate of the Jews in the surrounding areas: during the month of August, 1941, all of them were murdered by Lithuanian Nationalists who joined the ranks of the German occupying forces.


Central Zionist Archives, Jerusalem, files 55/1701, 55/1788, 13/15/131, Z-4/2548.

 Yizkor Book Project    JewishGen Home Page  

Yizkor Book Director, Lance Ackerfeld
Emerita Yizkor Book Project Manager, Joyce Field
This web page created by Max Heffler

Copyright © 1999-2024 by JewishGen, Inc.
Updated 22 May 2011 by MGH