“Visakio-Ruda” - Encyclopedia of Jewish
Communities in Lithuania
(Višakio Rūda, Lithuania)

54° 48' / 23° 26'

Translation of the “Visakio-Ruda” chapter from
Pinkas Hakehillot Lita

Written by Josef Rosin

Published by Yad Vashem

Published in Jerusalem, 1996



Project Coordinator

Barry Mann


Our sincere appreciation to Yad Vashem
for permission to put this material on the JewishGen web site.

This is a translation from: Pinkas Hakehillot Lita: Encyclopedia of Jewish Communities, Lithuania,
Editor: Prof. Dov Levin, Assistant Editor: Josef Rosin, published by Yad Vashem, Jerusalem.

This material is made available by JewishGen, Inc. and the Yizkor Book Project for the purpose of
fulfilling our mission of disseminating information about the Holocaust and destroyed Jewish communities.
This material may not be copied, sold or bartered without JewishGen, Inc.'s permission. Rights may be reserved by the copyright holder.

JewishGen, Inc. makes no representations regarding the accuracy of the translation. The reader may wish to refer to the original material for verification.
JewishGen is not responsible for inaccuracies or omissions in the original work and cannot rewrite or edit the text to correct inaccuracies and/or omissions.
Our mission is to produce a translation of the original work and we cannot verify the accuracy of statements or alter facts cited.

(Page 251)


Written by Josef Rosin

Translated by Shaul Yannai

In Yiddish, Visoke-Rude

A county town in the district of Marijampole, 8 km northwest of Kazlu-Ruda. The village Visakio-Ruda was established at the beginning of the 18th century, along the old commercial and postal road between Kaunas and Virbalis. Until the middle of the 19th century, Visakio-Ruda had two iron casting factories that used the lead in the region. In 1862, when the Kaunas - Virbalis railway line and the Kaunas - Marijampole road that passed through Veiveriai were constructed, Visakio-Ruda started declining; its factories were shut down and the town deteriorated.

Jews were present in Visakio-Ruda already in the 18th century. Rabbi Shemuel, son of Rabbi Josef Goikhberg, who was later a Rabbi in Kudirkos Naumiestis, was born in the town in 1877. In 1923, 80 Jews lived among the town's 586 residents. In 1931, Jews owned in the town 2 sawmills, 2 flourmills, a butchery and a tavern.

Rabbi Shraga Lupianski served as the town's Rabbi during the 1930's.

In the elections to the 19th Zionist Congress in 1935, the town's Jews voted as follows: the Grossmanists received 5 votes and the “Mizrakhi” 3 votes. The “Maccabi” branch had 26 members.

In June, 1941, when Germany conquered Lithuania, the fate of the Jews of Visakio-Ruda was the same as the fate of the Jews in the surrounding areas.

 Yizkor Book Project    JewishGen Home Page  

Yizkor Book Director, Lance Ackerfeld
Emerita Yizkor Book Project Manager, Joyce Field
This web page created by Max Heffler

Copyright © 1999-2024 by JewishGen, Inc.
Updated 10 Dec 2011 by MGH