“Daugailiai” - Encyclopedia of Jewish
Communities in Lithuania

55° 36' / 25° 49'

Translation of the “Daugailiai” chapter
from Pinkas Hakehillot Lita

Written by Dov Levin

Published by Yad Vashem

Published in Jerusalem, 1996



Project Coordinator

Barry Mann


Our sincere appreciation to Yad Vashem
for permission to put this material on the JewishGen web site.

This is a translation from: Pinkas Hakehillot Lita: Encyclopedia of Jewish Communities, Lithuania,
Editor: Prof. Dov Levin, Assistant Editor: Josef Rosin, published by Yad Vashem, Jerusalem.

This material is made available by JewishGen, Inc. and the Yizkor Book Project for the purpose of
fulfilling our mission of disseminating information about the Holocaust and destroyed Jewish communities.
This material may not be copied, sold or bartered without JewishGen, Inc.'s permission. Rights may be reserved by the copyright holder.

JewishGen, Inc. makes no representations regarding the accuracy of the translation. The reader may wish to refer to the original material for verification.
JewishGen is not responsible for inaccuracies or omissions in the original work and cannot rewrite or edit the text to correct inaccuracies and/or omissions.
Our mission is to produce a translation of the original work and we cannot verify the accuracy of statements or alter facts cited.

(Pages 198-199)


Written by Dov Levin

Translated by Shaul Yannai

(Yiddish, Daugel)

A town and the center of a sub district in northeastern Lithuania along the Dvinsk-Kaunas road, 18 km northeast of Utena, the district's city. Daugailiai is surrounded by lakes that abound with fish.

The town was established during the 18th century. A post office operated near it before WWI. At that time, 10 Jewish families lived in the town. During the war, they moved into the interior of Russia. In 1921, after Independent Lithuania was established, the family of Ya'akov Shubski returned to Daugailiai; this family made its livelihood by maintaining an inn and from a store that served the needs of the farmers. According to the 1923 Lithuanian census, the town had 369 inhabitants, 73 of them were Jews (including around the town). Apparently, they all left the town within a few years. In 1935, the Shubski family members emigrated to Eretz-Yisrael. As a result, a Jewish settlement in the town ceased to exist.

 Yizkor Book Project    JewishGen Home Page  

Yizkor Book Director, Lance Ackerfeld
Emerita Yizkor Book Project Manager, Joyce Field
Contact person for this translation Barry Mann
This web page created by Max Heffler

Copyright © 1999-2024 by JewishGen, Inc.
Updated 31 Dec 2011 by LA