“Barstyciai” - Encyclopedia of Jewish
Communities in Lithuania
(Barstyčiai, Lithuania)

56° 10' / 21° 52'

Translation of the “Barstyciai” chapter from
Pinkas Hakehillot Lita

Written by Dov Levin

Published by Yad Vashem

Published in Jerusalem, 1996



Project Coordinator

Barry Mann


Our sincere appreciation to Yad Vashem
for permission to put this material on the JewishGen web site.

This is a translation from: Pinkas Hakehillot Lita: Encyclopedia of Jewish Communities, Lithuania,
Editor: Prof. Dov Levin, Assistant Editor: Josef Rosin, published by Yad Vashem, Jerusalem.

This material is made available by JewishGen, Inc. and the Yizkor Book Project for the purpose of
fulfilling our mission of disseminating information about the Holocaust and destroyed Jewish communities.
This material may not be copied, sold or bartered without JewishGen, Inc.'s permission. Rights may be reserved by the copyright holder.

JewishGen, Inc. makes no representations regarding the accuracy of the translation. The reader may wish to refer to the original material for verification.
JewishGen is not responsible for inaccuracies or omissions in the original work and cannot rewrite or edit the text to correct inaccuracies and/or omissions.
Our mission is to produce a translation of the original work and we cannot verify the accuracy of statements or alter facts cited.

(Page 182)


In Yiddish, Barshtitz

Written by Dov Levin

Translated by Shaul Yannai

A very small town in northern Lithuania in the Seda subdistrict of the Mazeikai district, not far from Skuodas. Barstyciai was established after a church was built there in 1788. In 1864 it had about 100 inhabitants. In 1923, with the establishment of Independent Lithuania, the town had 87 Jews. Most of them worked in agriculture. From April 1921 until June 1926 the town had an elected committee headed by Nahum Kahanovitz. In spite of the difficult economic situation of most of the Jews in the town, it was through this committee that the Jews of the town donated in 1922 a relatively notable sum (4,005 marks) for the Jewish refugees in Russia.

Subsequently, the economic situation of the Jews in the town deteriorated even more and most of them left. Quite a few of them emigrated to Eretz-Yisrael. In 1939 there were 3 telephones in the town, 2 of them belonged to Jews.

On August 9, 1941 (16 Av, 5702), 2 months after the German military invaded the Soviet Union, the local Jews were transferred to Mazeikai and were murdered there together with the other Jews in the area. According to a Soviet source, in 1941 “Hitlerites” and “the local bourgeois nationalists” murdered the 13 families that lived in Barstyciai. There is no doubt that the source is referring to the local Jews.


YIVO - Lithuanian Communities' Collection: files 111-112, pages 6559-6577

 Yizkor Book Project    JewishGen Home Page  

Yizkor Book Director, Lance Ackerfeld
Emerita Yizkor Book Project Manager, Joyce Field
This web page created by Lance Ackerfeld

Copyright © 1999-2024 by JewishGen, Inc.
Updated 21 May 2010 by LA