(Note: in most instances, the following are only
extracts from the relevant reports.)
The Jewish Chronicle, 10 July 1936
Rabbi Smith inducted as minister at Wellington Road.
The Jewish Chronicle, 23 December 1938
GREAT GARDEN STREET TALMUD TORAH
Appointment of Headmaster
At a recent meeting of the General Committee, presided over by Mr. D. Galinski, Rabbi M. Smith was appointed to the post of Headmaster.
created by the retirement of Mr. M. Mushin, who had been associated with
the Talmud Torah for forty-two years, twenty-five as Headmaster...
Rabbi Smith was educated at the Manchester Jews School and, as a
scholarship winner, was a student at the local Central High school. At the age of 14 he entered the Manchester Talmudical College.
On leaving the College, he proceeded to the Slobodka Yeshiva where he studied
for three years and accompanied that Yeshiva on its subsequent transfer to Hebron, Palestine.
He obtained rabbinical diploma from there and from other renowned rabbinical authorities.
Rabbi Smith has been connected with the
Wellington Road synagogue
for some years and was appointed superintendant of its Hebrew classes in 1934.
The Jewish Chronicle, 23 July
LONDON RABBI FOR SOUTH AFRICA
Rabbi M. Smith, Minister of the
Wellington Road Synagogue, has been
appointed Minister of the Worcester Congregation, South Africa. He will preach
his farewell sermon to-morrow at the
Stoke Newington Synagogue, Shacklewell
Lane, and will leave to take up his new
position next month.
Rabbi Smith, who was educated at the
Manchester Jews' School and Talmudical
College and the Slobodka Yeshiva, has
served as headmaster of the Great Garden
Street Talmud Torah and Superintendent
of the Wellington Road Classes. He has
occupied the Vice-Presidency of the
Agudath Hashochtim V'Hashomrim.
The Jewish Chronicle, 20 August 1948
A presentation was made to Rabbi M. Smith, a former
Vice-President. on his departure for South Africa.
The Jewish Chronicle, 22 April 1955
Rabbi M. Smith, minister of the Worcester Hebrew Congregation, has accepted a " call" to the Rondebosch
The Jewish Chronicle, 23 February 1962
Rabbi M. Smith, of Cape Town,
a former pupil of the Manchester
Yeshiva, was the guest speaker at the
annual prize distribution on Sunday.
The Jewish Chronicle, 2 January 1970
The 50th anniversary of the Clapton Federation Synagogue and Talmud Torah was marked by a service of thanksgiving.
The service was conducted by
the Rev David Friedman, reader of
the Nelson Street Synagogue, who
deputised for the Rev S. Milch, who
was ill. Addresses were given by Dayan M. Fisher, head of the Federation Beth
Din, and Rabbi M. Smith, minister of the congregation.
The Jewish Chronicle, 17 February 1984
Rabbi M. Smith
has retired from Sinai