September 1823 to about 1837:
43 High Road, Glasgow, (the High Street Synagogue)
consisting of two rooms in in the first floor apartment, the home of Moses
Henry Lisenheim, a few doors from the Glasgow Cross, a short distance
From about 1837 to 1842:
Old Post Office Court, Candleriggs (the Candleriggs
Synagogue), formerly the Glasgow Post Office and subsequently
offices of the Glasgow Herald, corner of Tromgate and southwest
corner of Candleriggs, Glasgow, reached through 114 Tromgate.
1842 to 1850:
204 George Street, Glasgow (the first George Street
Synagogue)(leased from the Andersonian University, later part
of the University of Stathclyde) - During this period only, as a result
of an acrimonious split in the community by a minority of members who
stayed at the Caddleriggs premises (see below),
the congregation, which was lead by a Mr. David Davis, was known as the
Glasgow New Hebrew Congregation.
1850 to 1858 (or 1852)
Howard Street, Glasgow (the Howard Street
Synagogue), corner with Jamaica Street.
1858 to 1879:
240 George Street, Glasgow (the second or new George Street
Synagogue), corner with John Street.
(Thereafter the congregation moved to
Early 1830s to early 1840s:
A rival congregation headed by a Jonas Michael, held meetings
elsewhere in Candleriggs.
About 1842 to about 1849:
A split in the congregation, by a minority of members (about
21) who refused to move
to the new premises in George Street. They objected to the fact that the
new premises, part of the Andersonian University, were is a building
that included a medical school where dissection was conducted (which is
against Jewish halacha). The breakaway who
continued to meet in the Candleriggs premises. This breakaway
congregation styled itself the Glasgow Old Hebrew Congregation.
In July 1849, the two congregations reunited and prepared to move to new
1870 to 1871:
Short-lived breakaway congregation, which styled itself as
the Glasgow New Hebrew Congregation.