« Previous Page Table of Contents Next Page »

“Turá Lúka” – Encyclopaedia
of Jewish communities, Slovakia
(Turá Lúka, Slovakia)

48°45' / 17°32'

Translation of the
“Turá Lúka” chapter from
Pinkas Hakehillot Slovakia

Edited by Yehoshua Robert Buchler and Ruth Shashak

Published by Yad Vashem

Published in Jerusalem, 2003


Click here to see how to add a Memorial Plaque to this Yizkor Book
GoldPlaque SilverPlaque BronzePlaque

 

Acknowledgments

Project Coordinator

Madeleine Isenberg

 

Our sincere appreciation to Yad Vashem
for permission to put this material on the JewishGen web site.

This is a translation from: Pinkas Hakehillot Slovakia: Encyclopedia of Jewish Communities, Slovakia,
Edited by Yehoshua Robert Buchler and Ruth Shashak, published by Yad Vashem, Jerusalem.


This material is made available by JewishGen, Inc. and the Yizkor Book Project for the purpose of
fulfilling our mission of disseminating information about the Holocaust and destroyed Jewish communities.
This material may not be copied, sold or bartered without JewishGen, Inc.'s permission. Rights may be reserved by the copyright holder.


JewishGen, Inc. makes no representations regarding the accuracy of the translation. The reader may wish to refer to the original material for verification.
JewishGen is not responsible for inaccuracies or omissions in the original work and cannot rewrite or edit the text to correct inaccuracies and/or omissions.
Our mission is to produce a translation of the original work and we cannot verify the accuracy of statements or alter facts cited.


[Page 246]

Turá Lúka
(Turá Lúka, Slovakia)

Translated by Madeleine Isenberg

(Hungarian: Aranyosmarót)

A town in the district of Myjava, in the Nitra region of western Slovakia.

 

Year Population Jews %
1767 - 9 -
1828 2,692 82 3.1
1880 2,653 150 5.6
1900 2,225 89 4
1930 2,394 16 0.8

 

Turá Lúka was first mentioned in 1580 as a settlement within the Branč[1] (pron. Brunch”) estate. Its residents, Slovaks, Catholic and Evangelical, made their living in agriculture and raising cattle. Also during the period of the first Czechoslovak Republic, between the two World Wars, its economy was agriculturally-based. In the times of World War II. From March 1939, Turá Lúka was included within the boundaries of the Slovak State and a satellite of Nazi Germany.

Individual Jews, Moravian refugees, settled in Turá Lúka since the first half of the 18th century. And also in the 1768 tax list of the Nitra region, two Jewish families were noted as living there. A Jewish kehila (community) was established in Turá Lúka at the beginning of the 19th century, and with it, Jews from several small surrounding villages also joined. The kehila had a synagogue, cemetery, mikvah (ritual bath), cheder (Jewish primary school), and it belonged to the Myjava (q.v.) rabbinate. In 1869, with the split within the Hungarian Jewish communities Turá Lúka defined itself as Orthodox. For many years, the president of the community was Yonah (Jan?) HABERFELD.

In the 20th century, the kehila diminished with the urbanization process. In the 1930s, only 20 Jews remained, the kehila fell apart, and Turá Lúka's Jews joined the Myjava kehila.

During the 2nd World War, Turá Lúka's Jews belonged to the “Jewish Center” in Myjava. In 1942, most were deported to extermination camps in Poland.


References

MHJ, vols. VII, XVI


Translator's Note

  1. Pronounced, Brunch. Ruins of the old Branč castle are very close to Turá Lúka, now part of Myjava. (With thanks to Peter Abolon for providing this information.) Return

 

« Previous Page Table of Contents Next Page »


 Yizkor Book Project    JewishGen Home Page  


Yizkor Book Project Manager, Lance Ackerfeld
Emerita Yizkor Book Project Manager, Joyce Field
This web page created by Max G. Heffler

Copyright © 1999-2019 by JewishGen, Inc.
Updated 8 Nov 2016 by MGH