“Zabrzezie, Zabrzeź” - Encyclopedia of Jewish
Communities in Poland, Volume VIII
(Zabrezh'ye, Belarus)

54°11' 26°27'

Translation of “Zabrzezie, Zabrzeź” chapter from
Pinkas Hakehillot Polin

Published by Yad Vashem

Published in Jerusalem


Click here to see how to add a Memorial Plaque to this Yizkor Book
GoldPlaque SilverPlaque BronzePlaque

 

Acknowledgments

 

Our sincere appreciation to Yad Vashem
for permission to put this material on the JewishGen web site.

This is a translation from: Pinkas Hakehillot:
Encyclopedia of Jewish Communities, Poland, Volume VIII, page 331, published by Yad Vashem, Jerusalem


This material is made available by JewishGen, Inc. and the Yizkor Book Project for the purpose of
fulfilling our mission of disseminating information about the Holocaust and destroyed Jewish communities.
This material may not be copied, sold or bartered without JewishGen, Inc.'s permission. Rights may be reserved by the copyright holder.


JewishGen, Inc. makes no representations regarding the accuracy of the translation. The reader may wish to refer to the original material for verification.
JewishGen is not responsible for inaccuracies or omissions in the original work and cannot rewrite or edit the text to correct inaccuracies and/or omissions.
Our mission is to produce a translation of the original work and we cannot verify the accuracy of statements or alter facts cited.


[Pages 311]

Zabrzezie, Zabrzeź

Translated by Jerrold Landau

 

District of Wołożyn, Region of Nowogródek

Year General
Population
Jews
1895   40
1921 306 97

It is a small settlement on the Bondorewka River. It was in the district of Oszmiana, and later in the district of Wołożyn, Region of Nowogródek. Its residents were Byelorussians, Lithuanians, Poles, and Jews. During the second half of the 19th century, Zabrzezie lost the rights of a city that it had previously. Therefore, Jews were forbidden from living there in accordance with the laws of May 1882. Nevertheless, several tens of Jews lived there in 1895, and the ban on their living in villages was repealed in 1903. In 1921, the Jews made up about 30% of the residents of Zabrzezie. Very little is known to us of their origins and ways of life. The small community did not maintain a rabbi. During the 20th century, Reb Shmuel David Lewin, the son-in-law of the wealthy Avraham Moshe Binyaminowicz, acted in the role of rabbi.

At the outbreak of the Second World War in September 1939, the Red Army entered Zabrzezie. The Soviets ruled it for close to two years. The region of Nowogródek was conquered by the Germans at the end of 1941. The Germans and their local assistants persecuted the Jews, confiscated and pillaged their property, and imposed very decrees upon them, as were enacted in other places in the district. At the end of 1941, the Jews of Zabrzezie were transferred to the Szarkowszczyzna Ghetto (see entry) and shared the same fate as the local Jews. On July 17, 1942, most of the residents of the Szarkowszczyzna Ghetto, approximately 1,200 individuals, were murdered, including the Jews of Zabrzezie. A few succeeded in escaping, and it is possible that some Jews of Zabrzezie were among them. (For more information, see the Szarkowszczyzna entry.)

RG'P

 


 Yizkor Book Project    JewishGen Home Page  


Yizkor Book Project Manager, Binny Lewis
Emerita Yizkor Book Project Manager, Joyce Field
This web page created by Jason Hallgarten

Copyright © 1999-2019 by JewishGen, Inc.
Updated 17 Jan 2019 by JH