50°25' / 23°36'
Translation of Jarczow chapter from
Pinkas Hakehillot Polin
Published by Yad Vashem
Published in Jerusalem
Morris Gradel z"l
Our sincere appreciation to
to put this material on the JewishGen web site.
This is a translation from:
Jewish Communities, Poland,
Volume VII, page 267, published by Yad Vashem, Jerusalem
JewishGen, Inc. makes no representations regarding the accuracy of
the translation. The reader may wish to refer to the original material
JewishGen is not responsible for inaccuracies or omissions in the original work and cannot rewrite or edit the text to correct inaccuracies and/or omissions.
Our mission is to produce a translation of the original work and we cannot verify the accuracy of statements or alter facts cited.
(District - Tomaszow Lubelski; Province - Lublin)
Jarczow (J) is first mentioned in the second half of the 18th century as a townlet owned by Polish noblemen. In 1841 a fire broke out there and many of the inhabitants were rendered homeless.
There is no information available on the origins of Jewish settlement in J. In 1863 the town had a population of 231, of whom 203 were Jews. It possessed at the time a synagogue built of wood. A native of J was R. Josele, mentioned in the chapter The Wedding in Ostila, from a story by Y.L. Peretz.
Most of the Jews earned a living from petty trading or crafts. In the inter-war years they numbered 250 souls.
At the end of September 1939 (on the eve of the Day of Atonement) J was occupied by the Germans, who at once attacked the Jews and rounded them up for slave labour. On May 22nd, 1942, the Jews of J were deported to the extermination camp at Belzec.
Yizkor Book Project JewishGen Home Page
Copyright © 1999-2019 by JewishGen, Inc.
Updated 12 Aug 2003 by MGH