"Widawa" - Encyclopedia of Jewish
Communities in Poland, Volume I

51°26' / 18°57'

Translation of "Widawa" chapter
from Pinkas Hakehillot Polin

Published by Yad Vashem

Published in Jerusalem


Project Coordinator

Morris Wirth

Our sincere appreciation to Yad Vashem for permission
to put this material on the JewishGen web site.

This is a translation from: Pinkas Hakehillot: Encyclopedia of Jewish Communities, Poland,
Volume I, page 94, published by Yad Vashem, Jerusalem

This material is made available by JewishGen, Inc. and the Yizkor Book Project for the purpose of
fulfilling our mission of disseminating information about the Holocaust and destroyed Jewish communities.
This material may not be copied, sold or bartered without JewishGen, Inc.'s permission. Rights may be reserved by the copyright holder.

JewishGen, Inc. makes no representations regarding the accuracy of the translation. The reader may wish to refer to the original material for verification.
JewishGen is not responsible for inaccuracies or omissions in the original work and cannot rewrite or edit the text to correct inaccuracies and/or omissions.
Our mission is to produce a translation of the original work and we cannot verify the accuracy of statements or alter facts cited.

(page 94 )


(District of Łask)

Translated by Shmuel Kehati


Widawa obtained city status in 1388 but lost it in 1870. A large weekly market was held in Widawa, along with 12 yearly fairs, famous for their horse trade. Many Jewish traders flocked to these fairs. In all, 43 Jewish families lived in Widawa in 1764.   Most of them earned their livelihood from trade: one from leasing the inn and 15 from business (7 tailors, 2 furriers, a goldsmith, a barber and 4 butchers).  Also, there were 2 musicians and 2 beadles. The expansion of the Jewish population continued until the middle of the 19th century, but when the city's development stopped, the Jewish population declined.

The Jews of Widawa were part of the Łask community, and in the first half of the 19th century were in a dispute regarding their share of the taxes. An independent Jewish community was established in Widawa in 1838. Widawa had a synagogue and a cemetery since the 18th century, and at the beginning of the 19th century a shelter for the poor was established in Widawa. A few of Widawa's rabbis were well known. Rabbi Sinai Safir, author of "Olat Chodesh" and "Minchat Ani", was rabbi in Widawa for five years (1829-1834), and then he moved to Brzeziny. He was recognized by his generation as a leader in Jewish law and as an expert speaker.

Between 1886 and 1890 the rabbi was Rabbi Menachem Mendel Chaim Landau, grandson of Rabbi Avraham of Ciechanów.  In 1890 he moved to Piątek. He published his grandfather's writings and added his own "Ateret Zkenim". It was probably the low salary that kept Widawa's Rabbis from staying longer. Rabbi Avraham Benjamin Koltonowski served a longer term starting in 1896. He published "Ahavat Yitzchak" (Part 1) which is an interpretation on Maimonides, but most of his writings were never published. The last Rabbi of Widawa was Rabbi Avraham Mordechai Maroko who started his term a few years prior to the Second World War. He was a great scholar, who among other things, was editor of the rabbinical magazine "Degel Hatsirim".

The first secular institution in Widawa was the library, built in 1918, during the First World War. Between the wars, a few Zionist organizations were active in Widawa, as well as "Agudat Yisrael". The General Zionist movement (Al Hamishmar) received all the delegates (40) to the Zionist Congress held in 1939.

In September 1939, during the battles and the first months of occupation, most of the Jewish population left Widawa, and most went to Bełchatów.  Some Jewish refugees made it to Zduńska Wola, Zelów and other towns. At the same time, a few refugees came to Widawa from other places.  Between 1940 and 1942 there was an open Ghetto in Widawa with approximately 100 families. On December 14, 1941,  25 families were deported to Bełchatów. The remaining were probably exterminated in Chelmno during the summer of 1942, together with all of the Jewish community of the Łask district.

At the beginning of the occupation, in September 1939, the last rabbi of Widawa, Rabbi Avraham Mordechai Maroko, was brutally executed. The Germans searched his home, found a Torah scroll, and ordered him to destroy it or be burnt alive. When the Rabbi refused,  the Germans doused him with gasoline and torched him. The Rabbi, along with the Torah scroll, turned to ashes.

 Yizkor Book Project    JewishGen Home Page  

Yizkor Book Director, Lance Ackerfeld
Emerita Yizkor Book Project Manager, Joyce Field
Contact person for this translation Morris Wirth
This web page created by Carol Monosson Edan

Copyright © 1999-2024 by JewishGen, Inc.
Updated 5 Sep 2005 by MGH