“Ócsa” - Encyclopedia of Jewish
Communities in Hungary
(Hungary)

47°18' 19°14'

Translation of the “Ócsa” chapter from
Pinkas Hakehillot Hungary

Edited by: Theodore Lavi

Published by Yad Vashem

Published in Jerusalem, 1975


Click here to see how to add a Memorial Plaque to this Yizkor Book
GoldPlaque SilverPlaque BronzePlaque

 

Acknowledgments

Our sincere appreciation to Yad Vashem
for permission to put this material on the JewishGen web site.

This is a translation from: Pinkas Hakehillot Hungary: Encyclopedia of Jewish Communities, Hungary,
Edited by Theodore Lavi, published by Yad Vashem, Jerusalem. Page 145.


This material is made available by JewishGen, Inc. and the Yizkor Book Project for the purpose of
fulfilling our mission of disseminating information about the Holocaust and destroyed Jewish communities.
This material may not be copied, sold or bartered without JewishGen, Inc.'s permission. Rights may be reserved by the copyright holder.


JewishGen, Inc. makes no representations regarding the accuracy of the translation. The reader may wish to refer to the original material for verification.
JewishGen is not responsible for inaccuracies or omissions in the original work and cannot rewrite or edit the text to correct inaccuracies and/or omissions.
Our mission is to produce a translation of the original work and we cannot verify the accuracy of statements or alter facts cited.


[Page 145]

Ócsa

Translated by Jerrold Landau

Ócsa is a village in the region of Pest-Pilis-Solt-Kiskun, district of Alsóda bas. Its population in 1941 was 6,153.

 

Jewish Population

YearPopulation
193094
1941153
194710

 

We have no details on the Jewish settlement of Ócsa. We know only that the vast majority of the Jews of Ócsa worked in Budapest at various endeavors. The community was only formed in 1904, and was dependent on Pestszenterzsébet.

In 1944, all the Jews of Ócsa were first transferred to the Lajosmizse Ghetto, and then to Monor, from where they were deported to Auschwitz. Only a few individuals returned after the war. Ten Jews still lived there in 1947.

A. Sh.

 

Bibliography:
Zsidó Lexikon. P. 221.
Lévai, J.: Fekete Könyv…, p. 67.

 


The interior of the destroyed synagogue

 


This material is made available by JewishGen, Inc. and the Yizkor Book Project for the purpose of
fulfilling our mission of disseminating information about the Holocaust and destroyed Jewish communities.
This material may not be copied, sold or bartered without JewishGen, Inc.'s permission. Rights may be reserved by the copyright holder.


JewishGen, Inc. makes no representations regarding the accuracy of the translation. The reader may wish to refer to the original material for verification.
JewishGen is not responsible for inaccuracies or omissions in the original work and cannot rewrite or edit the text to correct inaccuracies and/or omissions.
Our mission is to produce a translation of the original work and we cannot verify the accuracy of statements or alter facts cited.

  Encyclopaedia of Jewish Communities. Hungary     Yizkor Book Project     JewishGen Home Page


Yizkor Book Project Manager, Lance Ackerfeld
This web page created by Max G. Heffler

Copyright © 1999-2019 by JewishGen, Inc.
Updated 15 Apr 2018 by MGH