« Previous Page Table of Contents Next Page »

[Page 242]

Zhager
(Žagarė, Lithuania)

56°21' 23°15'

Zagare (Zhager in Yiddish) is one of the oldest settlements in Lithuania. It lies on both banks of the Svete River on the Latvian border, about 40 km. (nearly 25 miles) from the district administrative center of Siauliai (Shavl), where an estate named Zagare was built and which eventually developed into a town. In 1495 the town received permission to hold markets. A hundred years later a church was built on the right bank of the river: houses were built around it and streets were paved according to a relatively modern plan. By the end of the seventeenth century there were one hundred homes. This area was called New Zhager and the older settlement on the left bank, Old Zhager, these two settlements being managed by different administrative units. A wooden bridge over the river Svete connected the two areas.

In time the population of New Zhager exceeded that of Old Zhager and the economic and social conditions as well as the quality of life were far superior to that in the older area. A noble family named Narishkin, who from 1850 was the owner of the Zhager estate and part of New Zhager, exerted great influence on its development as economic activity grew rapidly. In 1861 there were three small factories producing buttons, belts and sundry items. They employed ninety workers. More small industries for processing agricultural products and other foods were established. One of the workshops produced candles.

In contrast, the economic development of Old Zhager, whose land now belonged to the noble family Heiman, was slow. In 1897 there were 27 shops compared to 121 in New Zhager, while 90 artisans lived in the old town compared to 640 in the new.

Over the years Zhager residents suffered many adversities: the Russian–Swedish war in 1705; a cholera epidemic in 1848; the Polish rebellion in 1863; the great famine in the region in 1867, and inevitably, fires in 1864, 1881, 1909 and 1911. A Cossack battalion brought into the town to restore order during the revolution of 1905 caused many problems for the residents of Zhager. For a very short time the revolutionaries established a symbolic autonomic framework, called The Zhager Republic.

From the end of the nineteenth century until World War I New and Old Zhager combined and became a district administrative center: government and other institutions had offices there. There was also extensive commercial dialogue with Latvia and the town attracted buyers from Germany and England to its annual fairs. Not unexpectedly, Zhager's population increased. While Czarist Russia was in control (1795–1915), Zhager was in the Kovno Province (Gubernia) and in the Shavl (Siauliai) district.

However, from 1918 to 1940 under independent Lithuania, the absence of trade with Latvia and Russia was a severe blow to the local economy. The

[Page 243]

population decreased to its level of sixty years previously. During this period Zhager was a county administrative center, a status it kept during Soviet rule (1940–1941) and during World War II under Nazi rule (1941–1944).

 

Jewish Settlement until and after World War I

The Jewish community in Zhager was one of the first in Lithuania, in particular in the Zamut (Zemaitija). Its earliest development can probably be traced back to the sixteenth century. The first Jews in the town collected taxes for the authorities and rent for the landowners and traded in salt and metals that they imported from abroad. Others exported honey, wax and leather, while there were also active Jewish artisans. In 1766 there were 840 Jews and by 1847 the number had increased to 2,266.

The two separate communities each had its own rabbi, cantors, shokhtim and cemetery.

 

The Old Zhager Community

Because of overcrowding and difficult living conditions, sanitation was very bad, and when a cholera epidemic reached the town, 973 Jews succumbed. At the end of the nineteenth century Old Zhager had 1,629 (64%) Jews out of a total of 2,527 residents. There were 210 houses, of which 158 were Jewish owned.

Most Jews made their living from crafts (mainly tailoring and shoemaking) from agriculture (vegetable and cherry growing) and from small trades after the wholesalers had moved to New Zhager. There were then about 500 Jewish craftsmen. The synagogue, the Beth Midrash and the bath–house were among the few buildings constructed of stone.

Jewish children studied in its few Hadarim. In 1893 a Jewish school for girls with two classes opened in Old Zhager.

Despite the continuing economic deterioration, the community continued to extend help to other communities in trouble. For example, in 1884 a fire almost ruined the nearby town of Laizeve (Laizuva) and both Zhager communities donated 70 rubles for its restoration.

Among the rabbis who officiated in Old Zhager were:

Yekutiel–Zalman, died in 1848
Tsemakh Zaksh (1796–1863), served in Zhager 1815–1863
Hayim Luria, from 1858 in Zhager
Hayim–Tsevi–Hirsh Broida
Yehudah–Leib Rif
Yehudah–Leib Broida (official rabbi).

[Page 244]

 

The New Zhager Community

About 50 Jewish families occupied the entire market square in New Zhager in 1790. These families operated 30 shops and bars in the town and its surroundings. The leasing fees for all these buildings totalled 900 rubles per annum. By this time the main institutions of the community, including prayer houses and the cemetery, were in use. The town's rabbi, Berl Itskovitz, was responsible for the payment of the Jews' leasing fees for their houses and business premises.

After the Napoleonic wars, the authorities, acting on Jewish requests, increased the number of market days and fairs. Some sources claim that the value of goods sold at each fair was about 4,000 rubles and the turnover for the Jews accounted for 900 rubles. The Jews established factories for candles; for a beverage made of honey (probably mead with malt); cords; leather; buttons, for processing pig bristles, etc. The flax processing plant, owned by Mosheh Elyashev, employed 100 workers.

In 1897 the Jews of greater Zhager totaled about 60% of the population: 5,443 Jews (1,629 in Old Zhager and 3,814 in New Zhager) out of 9,129 residents. They occupied 329 of the total of 450 plots. Most Jews made their living from crafts, small industry, agriculture and trade. In contrast to Old Zhager, in New Zhager the relatively large number of important merchants was significant. The New Zhager merchants exported flax (about 4,000 wagons per year) and grains (about 1,000 wagons per year) to Germany and other countries and imported goods (about 300 wagons) from abroad. The pleasant commercial center built in the center of the town was also occupied mainly by Jewish merchants.

The sound economic situation of most of the Jewish population encouraged a favorable attitude towards them by the authorities, who granted them considerable freedom to conduct their affairs through the Civic Management which was created in 1880. One of the heads of the Narishkin family opened his splendid garden to the Jews, a garden spread over an area of 80 hectares, which in time became the urban park.

During this time, there were four Jewish educational institutions: a boys' school with thirty pupils in 1897/98; a girls' school with fifty–three young ladies, a Talmud Torah located in a magnificent building built through donations by Zhager–born Klonimus Ze'ev Wissotzky (the founder of the tea firm in Russia) and another where a further 100 boys studied. In this school Hebrew, Russian, German and arithmetic were already being taught in 1900. For some of the time Nathan–Neta Vainberg was the teacher of the three languages.

The Russian government school had a complement of 154 Jewish boys and 24 girls. Boys and men studied religious subjects at the four Batei Midrash in town.

[Page 245]

In the 1840s eighteen Jewish families from Yanishok (Joniskis) and Zhager (among them the K. Z. Wissotzky family) moved to Dubne, about 30 km. (20 miles) from Dvinsk, to establish an agricultural settlement on land that the government had allocated, without charge, for an experimental farm which eventually failed.

In autumn 1881 a raging fire broke out and the HaMelitz newspaper reported that “more than 400 buildings, including the synagogue and the Beth Midrash, burned down and about 1,000 families were left without a roof over their heads”. Thanks to the newspaper HaMelitz appeal for assistance and other requests, help arrived in the form of money, food and clothes. A committee led by the local physicians Dr. Hertsberg and Dr. Hentch was very active in managing the restoration work, greatly helping the Jewish population for many years. It is noteworthy that Dr. Hentch was a Christian gentleman.

In the years 1880 to 1890 there was a surge of emigration from Zhager to South Africa and America. A society named Rodfei Tsedek Anshei Zhager (The Pursuers of Justice from Zhager) was established in Philadelphia in 1887. By 1895 there already was a large community of former Zhager Jews in Johannesburg: they generously supported their relatives back home. The list of donors was published in the Hebrew newspaper HaTsefirah.

The rabbis who officiated in New–Zhager were:

Berl Itskovitz
Shimon Hurvitz (1810–1900), later rabbi in Leipzig, published many books on Judaica
Eliyahu Shik (1809–1876), famous for his fight against conscription of poor Jewish children to serve in the Czar's army for twenty five years (according to an order which Czar Nikolai the First had issued in 1827): he died in Kobrin.
Uri–David Apiryon (lived in the nineteenth century)
Hayim–Yits'hak Korb (1870–1957), during 1930–1950 was head of a Yeshivah in Chicago. In 1952 he emigrated to Jerusalem, where he died.
Ya'akov–Josef Harif.

Many Jews in Zhager, and in particular in Old Zhager, were fanatically orthodox. For many years it was a center of the Musar movement initiated by the Zhager–born Yisrael Salanter. However, many merchants who travelled to Koenigsberg, Leipzig and other German towns on business imported, together with the goods, new ideas and many books representing the best of European literature. Among these travellers was a group of erudite religious people, not fanatics, who avidly read secular and scientific books. This group

[Page 246]

was the Khahmei Zhager (Zhager Scholars) and was formed soon after Haskala. Among its members and supporters were:

Hayim Zak, honored by all the town's people
Shneur Zaksh, researcher of Judaica
Refael Neta Rabinovitz, author of the book Dikdukei Sofrim
Rabbi Shimon HaLevi Hurvitz, later the rabbi of Leipzig
The writer Ya'akov Dinezon
The bibliographer Avraham Freidos
Ben–Zion Zaltsberg who published a research work on Koheleth
Eliezer Atlas, in due course one of the editors of the Hebrew periodicals HeAsif and HaKerem
Avraham Idelson, later the editor of the Jewish Russian periodical Razsviet which was published in St. Petersburg
Tsevi Kan, a specialist in Judaica
Simhah Hilman, a future workers leader in the USA
Tsevi Izakson, in time the chairman of the Agrarians Union in Israel, and many others.

 

Lit5_246.jpg
The Synagogue
(Picture taken by and courtesy of Elkan Gamzu, July 2005)

[Page 247]

The most prominent and erudite of the learned men of Zhager were the Mandelshtams. The family originated in Germany and its descendants were among the leaders of the Haskalah movement in Russia and among the great writers and scientists in that country. In particular Josef Mandelshtam and his three sons Benjamin, Aryeh–Leon and Yehezkel were famous, since, in addition to their chosen professions, they were also involved in Bible research, writing poetry and imparting their knowledge to the Jewish people. The son of Yehezkel, Max (Imanuel), whose education had its roots in a Heder in Zhager, eventually became a famous ophthalmologist in Kiev and assistant to Theodor Herzl in promoting Zionism. Hayim–Josef the son of Mosheh Mandelshtam published articles on Zhager in HaMelitz. It is worthwhile mentioning that Zhager, quite a small town, produced a long line of erudite men, intellectuals, writers, researchers and public figures who were well known in the Jewish world.

 

Lit5_247.jpg
The Aron–Kodesh in New–Zhager

[Page 248]

Lit5_248.jpg
The Synagogue in Old–Zhager

 

Dr. Hertsberg, who had done so much after the devastating fire of 1881, contributed an important endowment to Zhager's cultural life. In July 1898 he opened a bookshop and a library in the main street of New Zhager which existed for many years. Shortly before World War I a branch of the Berlin Yiddishe Literarishe Gezelshaft (The Jewish Literature Society) was active locally, its main activities being to maintain reading evenings and lectures on literature and social subjects. Sh. Yakobzon was the chairman of the Society, V. Yakobzon, the secretary: they were supported by Aizik Novazenetz and Avraham Sheinfeld.

The Bund, with its many Jewish workers, had much influence, but later the Hibath Zion movement and Zionism became the strongest local social force.

There are at least five tombstones of Zhager Jews in the old cemetery in Jerusalem:

Rabbi Tsevi, son of Zerakh, died in 1861
Fruma, daughter of Shemuel, died in 1863
Yehezkel, son of Ze'ev Katz, died in 1870
Leib, son of Yisrael Be'eri, died in 1873
Duber, son of Leib, died in 1899.

[Page 249]

In lists of donors for the settlement of Eretz–Yisrael published in HaMelitz in the years 1894, 1895, 1897, 1898, 1900, 1902 and 1903, the names of 315 Zhager Jews appear. The fund raisers were B. Segal and B”Z. Goldberg (see Appendix 1). In a 1909 list there are another 18 donors (see Appendix 2).

The donors to the Persian famine victims in 1872 published in HaMagid, include 142 Zhager Jews. (see Appendix 3).

The religious anti–Zionist Agudath Yisrael party was also active in Zhager. In a list of yearly membership fees paid to this party dated 1914, 64 names from New Zhager appear and also 10 from Old Zhager (see Appendix 4).

Zhager Jews exhibited a strong solidarity with their Lithuanian neighbors. When Czarist rule prohibited the printing of books in Lithuanian, Zhager Jews helped the Book–carriers (Knygnesiai in Lithuanian) to smuggle Lithuanian literature from abroad into the country. Zhager Jews took part in the 1905 revolution and several were detained, exiled and even shot by the Russians.

During World War I most Zhager Jews left their town for Russia or emigrated elsewhere.

 

Zhager under Independent Lithuania rule (1918–1940)

After World War I and the delineation of the border between the two new independent states, Latvia and Lithuania, Zhager declined into one of the remotest and poorest towns in Lithuania. Many of its Jewish residents did not return and quite a few of those who did later emigrated to America, South Africa and Eretz–Yisrael. The major problem was that the nearest railway station was about 28 km. (17 miles) distant. This caused insurmountable problems for local commercial and social activity. There was no road to Zhager passable in winter and the only commercial activity was confined to the market days on Tuesdays and Fridays.

The first census by the new Lithuanian government, taken in 1923, counted 4,730 residents living in Zhager. Of these 1,928 (61%) were Jews.

Following the law of autonomies for minorities issued by the Lithuanian government, the minister for Jewish affairs, Dr. Menachem (Max) Soloveitshik, ordered elections for community committees (Va'adei Kehilah) to be held in the summer of 1919. In Zhager the elections took place in the first half of 1920 and a committee of eleven members was elected. In 1921 the committee consisted of one General Zionist, two Tseirei Zion, one artisan, two from the workers list and five non–party men.

In 1931 there were 59 shops, 51 (86%) of them in Jewish hands. The distribution according to type of business is given in the table below:

[Page 250]

Type of business Total Owned
by Jews
Groceries 5 5
Grain and flax 2 2
Butcher shops and Cattle Trade 21 19
Restaurants and Taverns 2 1
Food Products 1 1
Beverages 1 0
Textile Products and Furs 8 8
Leather and Shoes 7 6
Haberdashery and house utensils 1 1
Medicine and Cosmetics 5 2
Watches, Jewels and Optics 2 2
Radio, Bicycles, Sewing Machines 1 1
Hardware Products 2 2
Other 1 1

 

According to that Government survey (in 1931) there were twenty–five workshops and light industries owned by Jews: four barber shops, two workshops for processing pig bristles, two spinneries, two boot makers, two sewing workshops, one flour mill, one bakery, one sawmill, one weaving workshop, one chocolate and candy factory, one milliner, one felt factory, one dyeing plant, one offal–cleaning workshop, one tinsmith's workshop, one soda water factory and one power plant.

[Page 251]

Lit5_251a.jpg
Youth from Old–Zhager, most of whom emigrated to South Africa

 

In 1937 there were fifty–five Jewish artisans: fifteen boot makers, ten tailors, eight butchers, five dressmakers, three tinsmiths, two bakers, two barbers, one hatter, one locksmith, one carpenter, one knitter, one painter, one photographer, one watchmaker and three others.

 

Lit5_251b.jpg
A group of Zhager men

[Page 252]

The Jewish Popular Bank (Folksbank), with 287 members in 1927, played an important role in the financial affairs of Zhager's Jews.

Except for a few outbreaks of hostility by Lithuanians against their Jewish neighbors, there was, on the whole, fair surface amity between them.

The nine members of the municipal council included four Jews but in the 1934 elections only three Jews were successful.

In the early 1930s aggressive competition from Lithuanian cooperatives increased. Because of the difficult economic conditions, inevitable feelings of depression, and being cut off from Latvia, many Jewish merchants and also youth moved from Zhager, particularly to the nearest town of Joniskis (Janishok).

Despite the annulment of the autonomy in 1925, the end of the Va'ad HaKehilah and the continuing decrease in number of Jews, almost all institutions continued their activities: seven prayer houses; the old age home; the Bikur Holim society; two bath houses; two libraries (one Yiddish and one Hebrew) and two schools. 135 children studied in the school of the religious Yavneh network. In 1922 the Tarbuth society organized evening courses for adults, with fifty participants.

 

Lit5_252.jpg
The market square

 

The town had two fire brigades, both manned by many Jewish volunteers. There were sport organizations Maccabi and HaPoel and also some Zionist parties and youth organizations (HaShomer–HaTsair was one). The table below shows the election results of Zhager Zionists for the Zionist congresses:

[Page 253]

Congress
No.
Year Total
Sheh
Total Votes Labor Party
Z”S Z”Z
Revisionists Gen Zion
A B
Gro Miz
16 1929 33 10 1 4 1 1
18 1933 64 45 12 7
19 1935 255 261 161 #151; 46 52 2

Note: Cong No. = Congress Number, Tot Shek = Total Shekalim, Rev = Revisionists, Gen Zion = General Zionists, Gro = Grosmanists, Miz = Mizrahi

By 1939 there were 5,443 residents including about 1,000 (18%) Jews. Of 36 telephone subscribers 15 were Jews.

Despite the inevitable disruptions caused by World War I and thereafter, the rivalry between Old Zhager and New Zhager Jews remained unchanged. The Old Zhager people thought that they were more important: after all, the first Jewish settlement was established there. But the New Zhagers thought that they were superior because most of the Jewish community lived there. These differences caused unnecessary controversy at times. This old–time split was resolved and family relations preserved thanks to the actions of Rabbi Yisrael Rif, the rabbi of New Zhager and his son, Yits'hak–Zundl Rif, the rabbi in Old Zhager.

 

Lit5_253.jpg
Zhager branch of Maccabi

[Page 254]

Zhager in World War II and Afterward

During Sovietization (1940–1941), after Lithuania had been annexed to the Soviet Union, almost all Jewish institutions and all Zionist parties and youth organizations were disbanded and the Hebrew school closed. The Yiddish library founded by the Libhober fun Visen (Fans of Knowledge) association was one of the few institutions which continued to exist. Several shops were nationalized. A short time before the German invasion of Lithuania several Jewish families were exiled to Siberia, among them the teacher and Bible researcher Meir Kantorovitz (Elyoeini).

Three days after the outbreak of war between Germany and the Soviet Union, on June 25th, 1941, the Germans occupied Zhager, assisted by armed Lithuanians calling themselves Nationalist anti–Soviet Partisans. Together with the municipality they imprisoned hundreds of Jewish men in the synagogue and subjected them to great cruelty. The old rabbi, Yisrael Rif, a tall man, was insulted and assaulted violently. He and a short Jew were forced to harness themselves to a cart and pull it through the streets of the town to the amusement of the Lithuanian onlookers. Many Jews were shot in the Jewish cemetery and in a nearby grove.

In July all Jews were concentrated into one quarter, a so–called ghetto. They were joined by Jews from Zheimel (Zeimelis), Tirkshle (Tirksliai), Trishik (Tryskiai), Yanishok (Joniskis), Loikeve (Laukuva), Ligum (Lygumai), Linkeve (Linkuva), Pokroi (Pakruojus), Kelm (Kelme), Krok (Kriukai) and Radvilishok (Radviliskis). Altogether they comprised about 7,000 people. Each day the Lithuanians forced most of the men into various types of hard labor, all the while maltreating them. Before going out to work, the men were forced to spit in the face of Rabbi Rif and any man refusing to fulfil this order was killed on the spot. In order to avoid the slaughter the rabbi ordered them to obey. Humiliated and hungry, crowded into the small ghetto without sanitary facilities or medical help, they suffered greatly at the hands of these Lithuanians and Latvians. Gangs frequently burst into the ghetto to rob, rape and pillage.

[Page 255]

Lit5_255.jpg
The mass grave at the Narishkin Park
(Picture taken and supplied courtesy of Elkan Gamzu, July 2005)

 

On the day after Yom Kippur, 11th of Tishrei, 5702 (October 2nd, 1941), all Jewish men, women and children were ordered to the market square where the commander of a Sonderkommando (Special unit, a secondary unit of the operation Formation A) delivered a calming speech saying that they would be transferred to a new workplace where conditions would be better. Then the commander gave a signal, and from the surrounding yards, armed Lithuanians broke out shooting at the Jews with automatic weapons. During this action Alter Zagarsky shouted to others to escape and himself took out a knife and stabbed a Lithuanian to death. Another Jew, Avraham Akerman, also attacked a Lithuanian, biting him in the throat. These two were shot on the spot, but in the ensuing disturbance many Jews managed to escape. Additional armed Lithuanian groups were called in and rounded up the remaining Jews, capturing those who had escaped, and led them to the nearby Narishkin Park where pits had been prepared. There they shot and buried their victims, killing babies and small children by slamming their heads against the trees. Many Jews were thrown into the pits alive. Their clothing and other belongings were looted by their neighbors and by the murderers and local authorities.

Only a few Jews survived the gruesome bloodshed those who had been exiled and a few others who managed to escape to Russia at the outbreak of war. The researcher Meir Kantorovitz died in exile in 1980.

[Page 256]

Lit5_256.jpg
The monument at the murder site
(Picture taken and supplied courtesy of Elkan Gamzu, July 2005)

[Page 257]

Lit5_257a.jpg
The inscription on the tablet of the monument in Lithuanian and Yiddish:
“At this site Hitler's murderers and their local helpers murdered about 3000 Jewish men, women, children from Shavl district on 2nd October 1941.”

 

Lit5_257b.jpg
A monument in memoriam of about 40 Zhager Jews who were slaughtered at the Jewish cemetery in 1941

[Page 258]

At the beginning of the 1990s at the entrance to Narishkin Park two tablets were erected, bearing inscriptions in Lithuanian and Yiddish: “At this site Hitler's murderers and their local helpers murdered about 3,000 Jews from the Shavl district, men, women, children on 2nd October 1941”.

 

Lit5_258.jpg
The remains of the Zhager Jewish cemetery
(Picture taken and supplied by Elkan Gamzu, July 2005)

[Page 259]

Sources:

Yad Vashem Archives, M–1/Q–1407/181; M1/E–1032/931, 1679/1556; M–9/15 (6); 0–4/1; 0–33/1261; Koniuhovsky collection 0–71, files 102, 115
YIVO, New York, Lithuanian Communities Collection, files 437–452
Oshri – Hurben Lite (Yiddish)
Oshri – Rabbi Yisrael Rif–Zhager (Hebrew)
Dinezon Ya'akov – Erinerungen, Der Pinkas (Yiddish), Vilna 1913
Vigoder Meir–Joel, Sefer Zikaron (Hebrew), Dublin–Liege, 1931
Yerushalmi Eliezer, Pinkas Shavli (Hebrew)
Slutsky Yehudah, Dr. Mandelshtam (Hebrew), HaAvar 4, 1977
Kantorovitz Meir (Elyoeini), Bible Research from the Soviet Captivity, (Hebrew), Jerusalem, 1984
Yiddisher Lebn (Yiddish) Kovno, #124, 13.4.1923
Dos Vort (Yiddish) Kovno, 10.11.1934
Di Yiddishe Shtime, Kovno, 26.6.1931
Di Tsait, Kovno, 4.10.1933
HaMelitz, (Hebrew), St. Petersburg, 6.2.1862; 10.6.1879; 14.10.1879; 20.9.1881; 23.2.1884; 5.1.1884; 29.8.1884; 17.12.1885; 17.1.1886; 1893 #66; 4.7.1895
HaAvar (Hebrew), Vol.4, 1956; Vol 21, 1972.
Morgen Journal (Yiddish), New York, 10.6.1946
Kovner Tog (Yiddish) 8.6.1926
Masines Zudynes Lietuvoje (Mass Murder in Lithuania) Vol. 2, pages 225–141
Janulaitis Augustinas – Zydai Lietuvoje, Kaunas 1923

[Page 260]

Appendix 1

A list of 142 Zhager Jewish donors to the victims of the famine in Persia in 1872
(From Lithuania databases HaMagid, compiled by Jeffrey Maynard)

Note below that Zagare* means Zagare (new)

Surname Given Name Comments Town Year
AHRENZOHN Chaim from old Zagare Zagare* 1872
AHRENZOHN Nachum   Zagare* 1872
ARKIN Chaim Leib   Zagare* 1872
ARKIN Dovid   Zagare* 1872
ARKIN Mendil   Zagare* 1872
ARKIN Shmuel   Zagare* 1872
ARKIN Tuvia   Zagare* 1872
ARKIN Yosef   Zagare* 1872
ASHRON Ber   Zagare* 1872
ATLES Eliezer Tzvi   Zagare* 1872
BALKIN Eizik   Zagare* 1872
BARSHTEIN Shmuel   Zagare* 1872
BASKIN Dovid from old Zagare Zagare* 1872
BISKOWITZ Yehoshua   Zagare* 1872
BLUMBERG Simcha   Zagare* 1872
BORZOWSKI Chaim   Zagare* 1872
BROIDA Mordechai   Zagare* 1872
CHAITKIN Avraham   Zagare* 1872
CHEZKELOWITZ Yudel   Zagare* 1872
DISLER Yeshiahu   Zagare* 1872
DOVIDOWITZ Zalman from old Zagare Zagare* 1872
DWALEINKI Eli   Zagare* 1872
DWOLEIZKI Avraham   Zagare* 1872
DWOLEIZKI Mendil   Zagare* 1872
EIZEKZOHN Avraham   Zagare* 1872
EIZENSHTAT Moshe Zalman   Zagare* 1872
EPSHTEIN Cheikel bridegroom Zagare* 1872
EPSHTEIN Leib   Zagare* 1872
FISHHOIT Kalman   Zagare* 1872
FRIDMAN Devorah woman, mother of Yehuda Leib Zagare* 1872
FRIDMAN Dov Ber   Zagare* 1872
FRIDMAN Eli Ber   Zagare* 1872
FRIDMAN Eliezer gvir Zagare* 1872
FRIDMAN Leib   Zagare* 1872
FRIDMAN Nechamiah   Zagare* 1872
FRIDMAN Raphel   Zagare* 1872
FRIDMAN Shraga   Zagare* 1872
FRIDMAN Tzvi gvir Zagare* 1872
FRIDMAN Yechezkel   Zagare* 1872
FRIDMAN Yechezkel Mendil   Zagare* 1872
FRIDMAN Yechiel   Zagare* 1872
FRIDMAN Yehuda Leib son of Devorah Zagare* 1872
FRIEDENZOHN Yakov   Zagare* 1872
GOLDBERG Hirsh   Zagare* 1872
GOLDBERG Shalom Meir   Zagare* 1872
GOLDBERG Tuvia f–i–l of Bendet Zagare* 1872
HOPSHA Shraga Meir   Zagare* 1872
HORWITZ Gitel woman Zagare* 1872
HORWITZ Leib   Zagare* 1872
KANTOR Hirsh ben Yoel   Zagare* 1872
KIWIN Yosef ben Leib   Zagare* 1872
KOHN Tzvi   Zagare* 1872
KOTZ Leib   Zagare* 1872
KREZER Moshe   Zagare* 1872
KWEITZ Meir   Zagare* 1872
KWITZ Mendil   Zagare* 1872
LANE Wolf   Zagare* 1872
LEWIMAN Zalman   Zagare* 1872
LEWIN Tzvi boy Zagare* 1872
LEWITAN Shlomo   Zagare* 1872
LIPSHITZ Moishe   Zagare* 1872
LURIA Nechemiah f–i–l of Yakov Zagare* 1872
LURIN Yosef   Zagare* 1872
MANDELSHTAM Tzvi   Zagare* 1872
MEINKIN Dovid bridegroom Zagare* 1872
MENDELZOHN Yakov   Zagare* 1872
MINKEN Abba father of Shalom Zagare* 1872
MINKEN Shalom ben Abba   Zagare* 1872
MIYANISHOK Pesach from Joniskis (Yanishok) Zagare* 1872
MOLWIDZKI Abba   Zagare* 1872
MOLWIDZKI Shalom   Zagare* 1872
MOSHAT Yosef bridegroom Zagare* 1872
MOZEZOHN Yitzchok   Zagare* 1872
NACHUMZOHN Lemel   Zagare* 1872
NATKIN Ber   Zagare* 1872
NEIMARK Avraham from old Zagare Zagare* 1872
NEIWIDAL Beinish   Zagare* 1872
NEIWIDAL Yitzchok   Zagare* 1872
NOIMESHZOHN Shalom   Zagare* 1872
PINKUS Yakov   Zagare* 1872
RABINOWITZ Boruch   Zagare* 1872
RABINOWITZ Zalman   Zagare* 1872
RITOW Avraham   Zagare* 1872
ROZENBERG Dovid Shlomo   Zagare* 1872
RUBIN Shalom father of Shephtil Zagare* 1872
RUBIN Shephtil ben Shalom Zagare* 1872
RUBIN Zalkind   Zagare* 1872
SEGAL Note   Zagare* 1872
SHAPIRO Ber   Zagare* 1872
SHIK Eli Rabbi Gaon ABD Zagare* 1872
SHLEZINGER Eli   Zagare* 1872
SHMIDMAN Shmuel Kopel     1872
SHNEIDER Moshe   Zagare* 1872
SHUB Shmuel   Zagare* 1872
TANKEL Abba   Zagare* 1872
WEINBERG Ber   Zagare* 1872
WEINER Tzvi   Zagare* 1872
WEINERWITZ Eli ben Hirsh Mendil   Zagare* 1872
WEINGEWER Wolf   Zagare* 1872
WINDEROW Yitzchok bridegroom Zagare* 1872
YAFE Abba   Zagare* 1872
YAFE Eizik   Zagare* 1872
YAFE Leib   Zagare* 1872
YAFE Moshe   Zagare* 1872
YAFE Shalom   Zagare* 1872
YAFE Yeshayahu   Zagare* 1872
YAKOBZOHN Hillel   Zagare* 1872
YAKOBZOHN Mordechai bridegroom Zagare* 1872
YAKOBZOHN Nachum   Zagare* 1872
YAKOBZOHN Nachum bridegroom Zagare* 1872
YAKOBZOHN Yakov   Zagare* 1872
YERMAN Meir bridegroom Zagare* 1872
YITZCHOK Yafe   Zagare* 1872
YUDES Yeshiahu   Zagare* 1872
ZAK Chaim gvir Zagare* 1872
ZAKS Hershil   Zagare* 1872
ZALELZOHN Mendil   Zagare* 1872
ZALELZOHN Shachna   Zagare* 1872
ZALELZOHN Yitzchok   Zagare* 1872
ZALKIND H Apothecary Zagare* 1872
ZELIKOWITZ Leib   Zagare* 1872
  Abba ben Yehuda Leib bridegroom Zagare* 1872
  Ari ben Yehoshua   Zagare* 1872
  Bendet s–i–l of Tuvia Goldberg Zagare* 1872
  Hirsh ben Binyomin   Zagare* 1872
  Leib ben Yitzchok   Zagare* 1872
  Lesne woman, mother of Nechama Hene Zagare* 1872
  Menashe g”sh Zagare* 1872
  Nechama Hene bas Lesne   Zagare* 1872
  Note Yitzchok   Zagare* 1872
  Pesach Tzvi   Zagare* 1872
  Shephtil ben Boruch   Zagare* 1872
  Shraga Levi bridegroom Zagare* 1872
  Tzvi Levi m”sh Zagare* 1872
  Yakov s–i–l of Nechamiah Luria Zagare* 1872
  Yehoshua ben Abba   Zagare* 1872
  Yeshiahu son of Rabbi Dovid   Zagare* 1872
  Yeshiahu Tuvia son of the Rabbi bridegroom Zagare* 1872
  Zalkind m”sh Zagare* 1872
  Zalman m”sh Zagare* 1872
GOLDBERG Yechezkel businessman visiting Riga Zagare, Lith. 1871
ZAKS I businessman visiting Riga Zagare, Lith. 1871

[Page 265]

Appendix 2

A List of Zhager donors (from 1909) to buy land in Eretz–Yisrael

 

New Zhager

Aizenshtat Yits'hak
Grinblat Sheftl
Idelson Shraga
Kantor Yeshaiya
Kikon Yekutiel
Klein Ben–Zion
Naividel Shalom–Tuviyah
Tankel B.
Yakobson Hirsh
Yavnovitz

 

Old Zhager

Kaplan Mosheh–Hayim
Klatskin Mendl
Lamdan Ben–Zion, Rabbi
Maldiner David
Shtein Ben–Zion
Trubik Nisan
Yakobson Leib
Yakobson Shabtai

 

Appendix 3

A List of Zhager Jews donors to the Settlement of Eretz–Yisrael

(From Lithuania databases HaMelitz, compiled by Jeffrey Maynard)

Surname Given Name Comments Source in HaMelitz Year
ABELSHON Yitzchok   #167 1898
ABRAMZOHN Leib   #167 1898
AIZIKOWITZ T   #250 1894
AIZIKZOHN Fani   #117 1898
ARKIN D   #250 1894
ARKIN Leib   #167 1898
ARONOW Chaim   #118 1900
ARONOW Chaim   #221 1903
ARONOW Chaim ben Dov   #117 1898
ARONZOHN Thereza   #274 1897
BALKAN Aizik   # 228 1898
BALKIN Aizik   #167 1898
BALKIND Aizik   #250 1894
BALKIND Aizik   #212 1895
BALKIND Aizik uncle of Chaim Bentzion Balkind of Chwedana   #229 1899
BASKIN Dovid   #167 1898
BIRZANSKI Shmuel Eliezer   #195 1900
BIRZONSKI Shmuel Eliezer wed – from New Zager #138 1897
BIRZONSKI Yudel Kanter   #167 1898
BLOCH Gitl Malka wife of Bentzion Nachum Tankel wed 5 Ellul in Zager # 206 1897
BLUM Aharon Yakov   # 228 1898
BLUM Avraham brother of Yosef in Shkod   #218 1894
BLUM Avraham brother of Yosef of Shkod   #218 1894
BLUM Frida   #117 1898
BLUMBERG Alechsander Ziskind wed in Kursenai 19 Av #195 1900
BLUMBERG Mordechai   #90 1898
BLUMBERG Yitzchik from Dvinsk # 228 1898
BLUMBERG Yitzchok ben Yona Ber husband of Ch E Shmuelowitz from Dvinsk #61 1897
BLUMBERG Yona Ber father of Yitzchok from Dvinsk #61 1897
BOBIN Dovid Shlomo in Pretoria, SA #288 1897
BROIDA Boruch uncle of Shalom Tuvia Neiwidel   # 228 1898
BROIDA Gnese bas Yehoshua wife of Aba Heisman from Woliz wed in Shavel 1 Nisan #82 1895
BROIDA Y   #250 1894
BROIDA Yehoshua uncle of S T Neiwidel father of Gnese Rabbi Gaon #82 1895
BROIDA Zalman ben Boruch husband of Paie Yavneh wed 1898 # 228 1898
BROIDE Yitzchok   #167 1898
BRUCHMAN Dovid   #195 1900
BRUCHMAN Dovid husband of Motle Izraelshtam wed 10 February #90 1898
CHATZES Doshe   #167 1898
CHATZES Tzvi Hirsh   #142 1898
CHAWSHA Ch A   #250 1894
CHAWSHA M A   #250 1894
CHEN Sh   #250 1894
CHLZ Y   #250 1894
COHEN Tzvi father of Shmuel & uncle of Moshe Yanowski in Shveksna   #225 1902
DONIE Robert   #167 1898
DWILAITZKI Yete   #117 1898
DWOLEITZKI Avraham   #167 1898
DWOLEITZKI Eli   #167 1898
DWOLEITZKI Moshe   #167 1898
DWOLEITZKI Shoshana   #167 1898
EDELSON Shaweli husband of Zinote Hoppenkopf   #117 1898
EIDELMANN Sh   #250 1894
EIDELSOHN Shmarihu husband of Shifra Hirshberg of Dvinsk dentist, wed 3 Elul in Amalia #201 1897
EIDELSON Tzvi   #221 1903
EIDELZOHN Sh Dentist #117 1898
EITZIGZOHN Moshe   #167 1898
EITZINSOHN Aharon husband of Ida Segal of Taurage wed 20 Elul # 196 1893
EIZENSHTADT Y   #250 1894
EIZENSHTADT Y   #117 1898
EIZENSHTADT Yitzchok   #167 1898
EIZENSHTAM Yitzchok   # 228 1898
EIZENSHTAT Yitzchok husband of Yete Hirshhorn wed 15 March #117 1898
ELIASHAW Moshe   #230 1895
EPSHTEIN Binyomin   #167 1898
EPSHTEIN Chaim Fishel Rabbi #29 1898
EPSHTEIN Ida   #167 1898
EPSHTEIN Tzvi Ari ben Chaim Fishel born 6 Kislev 1896 #29 1898
ESTERMAN Dovid Yitzchok   #167 1898
FEINBERG Miriam   #117 1898
FERKIN Yisroel   #118 1900
FINKELMAN Eli   #90 1898
FISHHOIT Frida   #117 1898
FISHHOIT K   #250 1894
FRIDMAN Alechsander   # 228 1898
FRIDMAN Boruch   #90 1898
FRIDMAN Heshil   #250 1894
FRIDMAN Lazer   #167 1898
FRIDMAN M   #250 1894
FRIDMAN Mendil   #221 1903
FRIDMAN Nechamiah   #221 1903
FRIDMAN Nechemiah   #250 1894
FRIDMAN Nechemiah   #167 1898
FRIDMAN Rochel   #90 1898
FRIDMAN Shalom   #221 1903
FRIDMAN Shraga   # 228 1898
FRIDMAN Tzirle   #167 1898
FRIDMAN Yisroel husband of Freida Yafe wed 1903 #221 1903
FRIDMAN Yudel   #118 1900
FRIEDMAN Alechsander   #117 1898
FRIEDMAN Nechemiah   #117 1898
GAFINOWITZ Yisroel   # 228 1898
GARFINKEL Yisroel   #195 1900
GAWRONSKI Shabasai   #167 1898
GLAS Eliezer   #274 1897
GLASNER Leopold husband of Sheine Chanah Yafe wed 3 Ellul in Frankfurt on Main #195 1900
GLAT Aharon husband of batia Menucha   #29 1898
GLAT Batia Menucha wife of Aharon   #29 1898
GLAT Moshe Tzvi ben Aharon born 1 Tevet 1896 #29 1898
GLAZER Aizik   #117 1898
GLAZER Sarah Tane wife of Shalom Gotler wed 8 Nisan #117 1898
GOLDBERG Hawsha Yechezkel   #167 1898
GOLDBERG Tzvi   #167 1898
GOLDBERG Y   #250 1894
GOLDBERG Yakov   #167 1898
GOLDSHTEIN Kalman Rabbi #250 1894
GOLDSHTEIN Kalman Rabbi #167 1898
GOLDSHTEIN Yitzchok   #117 1898
GOLDSHTEIN Yitzchok   #221 1903
GOLDSHTEIN Yitzchok   #221 1903
GORDON Hine Mirl   #167 1898
GOTLER Shalom   #221 1903
GOTLER Shalom husband of Sarah Tane Glazer wed 8 Nisan #117 1898
GRIN Yekutiel #167 1898
GRINBLAT M Sh   # 159 1893
GRINBLAT M Sh   #250 1894
GRINBLAT M Sh   #117 1898
GRINBLAT Moshe   #274 1897
GRITZMAN Miriam   #118 1900
GRITZMAN Mordechai Yosef son born 1900 #118 1900
HATZES Tzvi   # 228 1898
HAWSHA Chaim Aharon   # 228 1898
HELLER Ch   #250 1894
HELMAN Reuven   #167 1898
HERTZBERG father of Hadassah Doctor #167 1898
HERTZBERG Hadassah wife of Dr. Lowenshtein from Mitau wed #167 1898
HIRSHFELD Chaim   #221 1903
HIRSHFELD Shmuel   #221 1903
HIRSHHORN Yete wife of Yitzchok Eizenshtat wed 15 March #117 1898
HOPPENKOPF Eliezer father of Zinote   #117 1898
HOPPENKOPF Zinote bas Eliezer wife of Shaweli Edelson wed 3 March #117 1898
HORWITZ Feige   #167 1898
IZRAELSHTAM Hinde   #90 1898
IZRAELSHTAM Motle wife of Dovid Bruchman wed 10 February #90 1898
IZRAELSHTAM Shalom   #90 1898
IZRAELSHTAM Shmuel   #90 1898
IZRAELSTAM Shmuel   #195 1900
KANTER Ester   #167 1898
KANTER Pesach   #167 1898
KANTER Sh   #250 1894
KANTOR Hane   #167 1898
KANTOR Shlomo   # 228 1898
KAPLAN Eliahu in Pretoria, SA #288 1897
KAPLAN Helena   #167 1898
KAPLAN Shmuel husband of Shula Hana Hawsha of Shkod wed 3 Elul #195 1900
KISMAN Yehuda   #117 1898
KLEIN Elimelech   #117 1898
KLEIN M   #250 1894
KOHN Hirsh   #167 1898
KOHN Sh Y   #250 1894
KORNOWSKI Ritow   #167 1898
KOTZ L   #250 1894
KOTZ Leib   #250 1894
KREMER Rivka wife of Leib Gershon from Tukum wed #117 1898
LEIBSON Tzvi   #142 1898
LEMGIN Mordechai husband of Miriam Mandelshtam wed 28th August 1898 in Dubbeln # 228 1898
LEWI Zalman   # 228 1898
LEWITAS Avraham   #117 1898
LEWITAS Chaya Sara   #117 1898
LEWITAS Miriam   #117 1898
LEWITAS Sh M   #250 1894
LISIS T   #250 1894
LISIS Tuvia   # 228 1898
LISOS Aizik   #167 1898
LISOS Leib   #167 1898
LISOS Leib New Zager #29 1898
LISOS Nite   #117 1898
LISOS Rivka   #117 1898
LISOS Shalom   #167 1898
LISOS Toibe   #117 1898
LUNTZ Chaya   #90 1898
LURIA Leib   #167 1898
LURIA Tz A   #250 1894
LURIA Tzvi Ari   # 228 1898
MANDELSHTAM Ch Y   #250 1894
MANDELSHTAM Ch Y   #250 1894
MANDELSHTAM Ch Y   #274 1897
MANDELSHTAM Ch Y   #167 1898
MANDELSHTAM Chaim Yosef   #195 1900
MANDELSHTAM Chaim Yosef   #225 1902
MANDELSHTAM Miriam wife of Mordechai Lemgin wed 28th August 1898 in Dubbeln # 228 1898
MANDELSHTAM son of Chaim Yosef wed #225 1902
MANDELSHTAM Tzvi Leib   #167 1898
MARGOLIOS N   #250 1894
MAWSHOWITZ Bertha   #167 1898
MEHL Yitzchok Michel   #117 1898
MELAMED Sh   #250 1894
MELAMED Tzvi   #117 1898
MELER Bentzion   # 228 1898
MELLER Bentzion Shmuel   #227 1894
MENDELSHON Nachum   #167 1898
MENDELZOHN A   #250 1894
MENDELZOHN N   #250 1894
MENDELZOHN Nachum in Pretoria, SA #288 1897
MICHALOWITZ Batia   #167 1898
MICHALOWITZ Yette   #167 1898
MILL Bentzion Rabbi #167 1898
MILWITZKI Sheftil   #117 1898
MIRENOWITZ Boruch   #221 1903
MORFLER? Sh   #250 1894
MOZESZOHN Y Y   #250 1894
NEIWIDEL Sh T   # 159 1893
NEIWIDEL Shalom Tuvia   #170 1897
NEIWIDEL Shalom Tuvia   #198 1900
NEIWIDEL Shalom Tuvia nephew of Boruch Broida   # 228 1898
NEIWIDEL Shalom Tuvia nephew of Rabbi Yehoshua Broida   #82 1895
OSHRATZ Chana wife of Avraham Yitzchok wed Adar Sheni 5 #118 1900
PAKTMAN Yitzchok   #221 1903
PEKIN Moshe from Shavel #221 1903
PERKIN Ete   #167 1898
PERKIN Ete   #221 1903
PERKIN Rivka   #221 1903
PERKIN Yisroel   #117 1898
PERKIN Yisroel   #35 1900
PERKIN Yisroel   #221 1903
PERKIN Yitzchok   # 228 1898
PILVERMACHER Yosef   #221 1903
RABINOWITZ Sh Y   #117 1898
RAZOMNE Yosef Yakov   #168 1895
RIF Yehuda Leib Rabbi ABD # 228 1898
RITOW A   #250 1894
RITOW Avraham   # 228 1898
ROZENBERG Leib   #117 1898
ROZENFELD Ch   #250 1894
ROZING Nachum Zev   #29 1898
ROZOMNA Y Y   #250 1894
ROZOMNI Yete   #117 1898
ROZOTAI Yosef Yakov   # 228 1898
ROZUMNA Yosef Yakov   #195 1900
SEGAL B Official Collector # 171 1893
SHAPOW Eliezer   #117 1898
SHEIN Gavriel   #167 1898
SHEIN Leib   #167 1898
SHEIN Yulius   #167 1898
SHEINIGZOHN Moshe   #250 1894
SHER Hinde Gite   #221 1903
SHIR Eliezer   #221 1903
SHKOT Y   #250 1894
SHLAPABERSKI Eidel   #167 1898
SHLAPABERSKI Polina   #117 1898
SHMUELOWITZ Chana Feiga wife of Uri   #61 1897
SHMUELOWITZ Chaya Ester bas Uri wife of Yitzchok Blumberg   #61 1897
SHMUELOWITZ Uri husband of Chana Feiga father of Chaya Ester   #61 1897
SHMUELOWITZ Y in Dublin, Ireland #61 1897
SHMULIA N   #250 1894
SHOCHAT Leib   #221 1903
SHOCHAT Leib friend of Rabbi Chaim Shochat ABD Abel   #195 1900
SHTEIN Bentzion   #221 1903
SHTEIN P   #221 1903
SHTEIN Sh M   #250 1894
SHTZUPOK Avraham   # 228 1898
TANKEL B   #250 1894
TANKEL Bentzion   #250 1894
TANKEL Bentzion Nachum ben Zelig Meir husband of Gitl Malka Bloch wed 5 Ellul in Zager # 206 1897
TANKEL Benzion Nachum   # 228 1898
TANKEL Chana Gitl wife of Zelig Meir   # 206 1897
TANKEL Moshe Aharon   #221 1903
TANKEL Moshe Bentzion   #118 1900
TANKEL Zelig Meir   # 228 1898
TANKEL Zelig Meir husband of Chana Gitl father of Bentzion Nachum   # 206 1897
TASKIN A   #250 1894
TZALELSOHN Mina wife of Tzvi Kurshan of Vieksna wed 10 Elul #195 1900
TZALELZOHN Shlomo Chen   #167 1898
TZIONI Rivka d–i–l of Rabbi Chaim Tzvi wed 14 Av #195 1900
WEINBERG Ch   #250 1894
WEINSHTOK Tzvi Hirsh from Telshen # 228 1898
WEIS Eli ben Leib wed 19 Av #195 1900
WEIS Leib father of Eli   #195 1900
WOLFSON Shlomo   #118 1900
YAFE A   #221 1903
YAFE Aba   #118 1900
YAFE Ari   #167 1898
YAFE B   #250 1894
YAFE B R   #221 1903
YAFE Chana   #117 1898
YAFE Emma   #221 1903
YAFE Freida wife of Yisroel Fridman wed 1903 #221 1903
YAFE Frida   #117 1898
YAFE Hillel brother of Freida from Riga #221 1903
YAFE M   #250 1894
YAFE Sarah mother of Sheine Chanah   #195 1900
YAFE Sheine Chanah wife of Leopold Glasner wed 3 Ellul in Frankfurt on Main #195 1900
YAFE Simcha   #134 1900
YAFE Simcha fiance of Toibe Zegerman of Salant engaged #239 1899
YAFE Y   #250 1894
YAFE Yakov   # 228 1898
YAKOBSON Avraham   #167 1898
YAKOBZOHN Hirsh   #250 1894
YAKOBZOHN Leib   #167 1898
YAKOBZOHN Tzvi   # 228 1898
YAKOBZOHN Y   #250 1894
YAVNEH Paie wife of Zalman Broida wed 1898 # 228 1898
YEDAKIN Sh   #250 1894
YEGERMAN A   #250 1894
YOWROWITZ Moshe   #221 1903
YUDELOWITZ Shalom   #90 1898
ZACHS Y   #250 1894
ZAK Hinda Gitl   #212 1895
ZAK Hinde Gite   #167 1898
ZAKS Heshil b–i–l of Rabbi Meir Michel Hawsha of Shkod   #195 1900
ZAKS Tzesne   #117 1898
ZAKSH Moshe   #221 1903
ZALTZBERG B   #227 1894
ZALTZBERG Bentzion   #250 1894
ZEGERMANN Asher   #167 1898
ZENERMAN Asher   #212 1895
ZIMAN Avraham Menachem ben Heshil born 1 Tevet 1896 #29 1898
ZIMAN Choda Golda   #29 1898
ZIMAN Heshil husband of Choda Golda   #29 1898
ZIMAN Simcha Motz #117 1898
ZIMANSOHN Folk uncle of Fani   #195 1900
ZOMSER Shmuel   # 228 1898
ZUSMAN Bentzion   #274 1897
  Chaim Tzvi f–i–l of Rivka Tzioni Rabbi ABD Zager Yashan #195 1900
  Fani daughter of sister of Folk Zimansohn wed #195 1900

 

Appendix 4

The 1914 list of Zhager Jews who paid annual membership fees to the Agudath–Yisrael party

New Zhager:

Apiryon Mendl
Arenov Tsevi
Arkin Mordehai
Asasin Leib
Blas Josef
Blidun Hayim
Blum Avraham–Ya'akov
Blum Josef
Brokhman David
Bruker Mendl
Dvoloitsky Shakhna
Eszon Shemuel–Khone
Esterman David
Fridman Yehudah
Goldberg Azriel
Goldberg Tsevi
Gitelson Peretz
Gotlib Shalom
Gotler Shalom
Helman Asher
Kantor Yudl
Kimelfeld Pinhas
Lan Ya'alov–Mosheh
Lerman Aizik
Levitas Leib
Lisus Mordehai
Lisus Aizik
London Meir
London Yits'hak
Maister Yehudah–Meir
Mandelshtam Josef
Markushevitz Yits'hak
Meler Ben–Zion
Melamed A.S.
Milvitsky Sheftl
Milvitzky Eliezer
Naividel Shalom–Tuviyah
Nurok Noakh
Peretsman Tsevi
Rabinovitz Leib
Rozenberg Leib
Rozenfeld Nahum
Sarok Josef
Shalamov Mordehai
Shapov Mordehai
Sheininzon Mosheh
Shikshtein Yehezkel
Shokhat David
Shor Elazar
Shtein Shelomoh–Mosheh
Tankel Mosheh–Aharon
Tankel Aba–Eliezer
Todes Shalom
Trumpeitsky Shalom–Tsevi
Vagenheim Mihah
Viner Josef
Volkin Avraham–Shimon
Yakobzon Tsevi
Yankelson Tsevi–Leib
Yavnovitz Mosheh
Yankelevitz Hayim Dr.
Zagarzky Yekutiel
Zlot Khone
Zegerman Asher

Old Zhager

Blidon Mordehai
Feldman Ben–Zion, Rabbi
Fishhoit Fishl
Hilman Shemuel
Hirshberg Shemuel–Eliyahu
Gavronsky Shabtai
Kahn Hayim–Mendl
Levitas Avraham–Elia
Olshvang Mosheh–Yits'hak Pshedmeisky Tsevi, Rabbi

 

« Previous Page Table of Contents Next Page »


This material is made available by JewishGen, Inc. and the Yizkor Book Project for the purpose
of fulfilling our mission of disseminating information about the Holocaust and destroyed Jewish communities.
This material may not be copied, sold or bartered without permission of the copyright holders: Josef Rosin z”l and Joel Alpert.


JewishGen, Inc. makes no representations regarding the accuracy of the translation.The reader may wish to refer to the original material for verification.
JewishGen is not responsible for inaccuracies or omissions in the original work and cannot rewrite or edit the text to correct inaccuracies and/or omissions.
Our mission is to produce a translation of the original work and we cannot verify the accuracy of statements or alter facts cited.

  Preserving Our Litvak Heritage     Yizkor Book Project     JewishGen Home Page


Yizkor Book Project Manager, Lance Ackerfeld
This web page created by Jason Hallgarten

Copyright © 1999-2019 by JewishGen, Inc.
Updated 11 Apr 2018 by LA