51°22' / 08°48'
Translation from Pinkas ha-kehilot Germanyah
Published by Yad Vashem
Published in Jerusalem, 1992
Project Coordinator and Translator
Our sincere appreciation to Yad Vashem for permission
This is a translation from: Pinkas Hakehillot: Encyclopaedia of Jewish Communities, Germany
Volume 3, page 355, published by Yad Vashem, Jerusalem, 1992
JewishGen, Inc. makes no representations regarding the accuracy of
the translation. The reader may wish to refer to the original material
JewishGen is not responsible for inaccuracies or omissions in the original work and cannot rewrite or edit the text to correct inaccuracies and/or omissions.
Our mission is to produce a translation of the original work and we cannot verify the accuracy of statements or alter facts cited.
From the History of the Community
In 1802, four Jewish families lived in Adorf; in 1826, 8 families; and in 1847, six. In 1838, the Jewish cemetery was opened and nearby, at the same time, the community was established. There also was a synagogue there. The community belonged to the rabbinical district of Kassel. On the eve of the Nazi rise to power, Eduard Mosheim was its leader.
In September of 1935, windows of Jewish homes were shattered.
Between the summer of 1936 and the end of 1937, 12 of the Jews of Adorf moved to other cities in Germany, and one emigrated to Brazil. The communal structure disbanded before the Fall of 1938 and its holy objects were taken to Kassel. On Kristallnacht the synagogue was damaged.
With the outbreak of the Second World War, three Jews remained in Adorf. Two of them were brought on Nov. 11, 1941, to Wrexen, and one apparently stayed in the place and passed away in 1947. At least one of the community's members perished in the Holocaust.
Today the cemetery (885 square meters) is part of the municipality of Diemelsee.
Yizkor Book Project JewishGen Home Page
Copyright © 1999-2019 by JewishGen, Inc.
Updated 13 Dec 2006 by LA