“Sarowo” - Encyclopedia of Jewish
Communities in Poland, Volume V
(Belarus)

5232' / 2344'

Translation of “Sarowo” chapter from
Pinkas Hakehillot Polin

Published by Yad Vashem Published in Jerusalem


Click here to see how to add a Memorial Plaque to this Yizkor Book
GoldPlaque SilverPlaque BronzePlaque

 

Acknowledgments

Project Coordinator

Sherwin Sokolov

 

Our sincere appreciation to Yad Vashem
for permission to put this material on the JewishGen web site.

This is a translation from: Pinkas Hakehillot:
Encyclopedia of Jewish Communities, Poland, Volume V, page 274,
edited by Shmuel Spector, published by Yad Vashem, Jerusalem


This material is made available by JewishGen, Inc. and the Yizkor Book Project for the purpose of
fulfilling our mission of disseminating information about the Holocaust and destroyed Jewish communities.
This material may not be copied, sold or bartered without JewishGen, Inc.'s permission. Rights may be reserved by the copyright holder.


JewishGen, Inc. makes no representations regarding the accuracy of the translation. The reader may wish to refer to the original material for verification.
JewishGen is not responsible for inaccuracies or omissions in the original work and cannot rewrite or edit the text to correct inaccuracies and/or omissions.
Our mission is to produce a translation of the original work and we cannot verify the accuracy of statements or alter facts cited.


[Page 274]

Sarowo

(Belarus)

(Jewish agricultural colony near Kamenets Lithuania (Kamenets de-Lita)
in Brisk (Brest-Litovsk) District (Grodno Gubernia))

 

Sarowo was named after the biblical Sarah, our matriarch.  It was founded in 1850 on government land. The 24 founding families came from Brisk, and each family received a land of 26 hectares (260 Dunham). When the families grew, some of them asked to purchase additional land to be able to make a living, but their requests were not approved. Consequently, they left the colony to return to the city (Brest-Litovsk) and their plots were bought by the remaining families. A son of one of the settlers, Israel Ashkenazi, made Aliya to Eretz Israel and was a co-founder of the settlement Yesud HaMa'ala. In Sarowo there was a Beit Midrash [synagogue; house of learning] and near it a Cheder [Torah school] for the children of the village.

In the early 20th century the village had 14 families. During World War I, three-quarters of the buildings in the settlement were burned and the livestock was stolen by the Russian and German soldiers.

After the war, the settlement was resettled with the help of the Joint Distribution Committee. The Census of 1921 included 47 residents - all Jews. During the German occupation (World War II), the Jews were brought from Sarowo to the ghetto in Kamenets and perished there with the local Jews.


Source

The Yizkor Book of Kamenets (Lithuania) Community, Zastavia and the Colonies, Tel-Aviv, 1970.

 Yizkor Book Project    JewishGen Home Page     Sarava, at Kehilalinks


Yizkor Book Project Manager, Lance Ackerfeld
Emerita Yizkor Book Project Manager, Joyce Field
Contact person for this translation Sherwin Sokolov
This web page created by Max Heffler

Copyright ©1999-2014 by JewishGen, Inc.
Updated 4 Mar 2012 by LA