“Abramowo” - Encyclopedia of Jewish
Communities in Poland, Volume V
(Belarus)

5226' / 2346'

Translation of “Abramowo” chapter from
Pinkas Hakehillot Polin

Published by Yad Vashem Published in Jerusalem


Click here to see how to add a Memorial Plaque to this Yizkor Book
GoldPlaque SilverPlaque BronzePlaque

 

Acknowledgments

Project Coordinator

Sherwin Sokolov

 

Our sincere appreciation to Yad Vashem
for permission to put this material on the JewishGen web site.

This is a translation from: Pinkas Hakehillot:
Encyclopedia of Jewish Communities, Poland, Volume V, page 219,
edited by Shmuel Spector, published by Yad Vashem, Jerusalem


This material is made available by JewishGen, Inc. and the Yizkor Book Project for the purpose of
fulfilling our mission of disseminating information about the Holocaust and destroyed Jewish communities.
This material may not be copied, sold or bartered without JewishGen, Inc.'s permission. Rights may be reserved by the copyright holder.


JewishGen, Inc. makes no representations regarding the accuracy of the translation. The reader may wish to refer to the original material for verification.
JewishGen is not responsible for inaccuracies or omissions in the original work and cannot rewrite or edit the text to correct inaccuracies and/or omissions.
Our mission is to produce a translation of the original work and we cannot verify the accuracy of statements or alter facts cited.


[Page 219]

Abramowo

(Belarus)

(Jewish agricultural colony in the county of Dmitrovitz in the Brisk (Yid) District (Brest, Russian Empire))

 

Abramowo (named after the patriarch Abraham) was founded in 1851 on government land near the town of Kamenetz D'Lita (Litovsk) in Lithuania. (The colony was also known as Pleisiszcze.)

According to a survey conducted in 1872, it was comprised of 10 Jewish families that had 10 plots of low quality land (sandy soil). The Colony was part of the Brisk District of Grodno Gubernia.

In 1921, there were 97 Jews in Abramowo. There were no non-Jews. Around the year 1935, 75% of the colony's farmers were Jews and the rest Belarussians.

During the German occupation in early January 1942, a ghetto was established in Kaminentz-Litovsk and the Jews of Abramowo were brought there. On 9 November 1942, the Abramowo Jews were taken together with the local Jews to the train station in Wysokie-Litovsk (Lithuania) in the Grodno Gubernia, and from there they were transported to Treblinka and murdered.


Sources

Yizkor Book community Kamenetz – D'Lita (Litovsk/Lithuania) Zestabeyih and the Colonies, Tel Aviv, pp. 550-556.
J. Tomaszewski, Z dziejow Polesia; zarys stosunkow spoleczno ekonomicznych, Warsaw, 1963. (J. Tomaszewski, The History of Polesia: Outline of Socio-Economic Relations, Warsaw, 1963.)

 Yizkor Book Project    JewishGen Home Page     Sarava, at Kehilalinks


Yizkor Book Project Manager, Lance Ackerfeld
Emerita Yizkor Book Project Manager, Joyce Field
Contact person for this translation Sherwin Sokolov
This web page created by Max Heffler

Copyright ©1999-2014 by JewishGen, Inc.
Updated 5 Mar 2012 by LA