“Saukat” - Encyclopedia of Jewish
Communities in Lithuania
(Šaukotas, Lithuania)

55°35' / 23°25'

Translation of the “Saukat” chapter from
Pinkas Hakehillot Lita

Written by Dov Levin

Published by Yad Vashem

Published in Jerusalem, 1996


Click here to see how to add a Memorial Plaque to this Yizkor Book
GoldPlaque SilverPlaque BronzePlaque

Acknowledgments

Project Coordinator

 

Our sincere appreciation to Yad Vashem
for permission to put this material on the JewishGen web site.

This is a translation from: Pinkas Hakehillot Lita: Encyclopedia of Jewish Communities, Lithuania,
Editor: Prof. Dov Levin, Assistant Editor: Josef Rosin, published by Yad Vashem, Jerusalem.


This material is made available by JewishGen, Inc. and the Yizkor Book Project for the purpose of
fulfilling our mission of disseminating information about the Holocaust and destroyed Jewish communities.
This material may not be copied, sold or bartered without JewishGen, Inc.'s permission. Rights may be reserved by the copyright holder.


JewishGen, Inc. makes no representations regarding the accuracy of the translation. The reader may wish to refer to the original material for verification.
JewishGen is not responsible for inaccuracies or omissions in the original work and cannot rewrite or edit the text to correct inaccuracies and/or omissions.
Our mission is to produce a translation of the original work and we cannot verify the accuracy of statements or alter facts cited.


(Pages 468-469)

Šaukotas (Lith.)

Saukat (Yiddish), Shavkuti (Russian)

Written by Dov Levin

Translated by Gilda Kurtzman[1]

Šaukotas is a town in the Keidan district, 13 kilometers north-west of the sub-district town, Grinkishok. In the past there were three estates in the town. From the second half of the 19th century it became the main town of the sub-district. There were 204 residents in 1897, 320 in 1905; 348 in 1923 and 400 in 1940. In 1921, with the declaration of automony for the Jews, in the period of Lithuanian independence, a [Jewish] community council was elected which consisted of five members. For a long period of time the council dealt with most of the areas of Jewish life in Šaukotas. In 1929 30 Jewish families and 20 non-Jewish families lived in Šaukotas. In the same year, during a robbery, the mother and father of a Jewish resident by the name of Movshovitz were murdered.

With the German occupation of Lithuania, in June 1941 the Jews of Šaukotas were exterminated, along with their rabbi, Rav Baruch Kaplan.

Footnotes

1. Words in brackets have been added by the translator.


 Yizkor Book Project    JewishGen Home Page  


Yizkor Book Project Manager, Lance Ackerfeld
Emerita Yizkor Book Project Manager, Joyce Field
This web page created by Max Heffler

Copyright ©1999-2014 by JewishGen, Inc.
Updated 21 May 2010 by LA