“Kvetkai” - Encyclopedia of Jewish
Communities in Lithuania

56° 10' / 25° 09'

Translation of the “Kvetkai” chapter from
Pinkas Hakehillot Lita

Written by Dov Levin

Published by Yad Vashem

Published in Jerusalem, 1996


Click here to see how to add a Memorial Plaque to this Yizkor Book
GoldPlaque SilverPlaque BronzePlaque

 

Acknowledgments

Project Coordinator

Barry Mann

 

Our sincere appreciation to Yad Vashem
for permission to put this material on the JewishGen web site.

This is a translation from: Pinkas Hakehillot Lita: Encyclopedia of Jewish Communities, Lithuania,
Editor: Prof. Dov Levin, Assistant Editor: Josef Rosin, published by Yad Vashem, Jerusalem.


This material is made available by JewishGen, Inc. and the Yizkor Book Project for the purpose of
fulfilling our mission of disseminating information about the Holocaust and destroyed Jewish communities.
This material may not be copied, sold or bartered without JewishGen, Inc.'s permission. Rights may be reserved by the copyright holder.


JewishGen, Inc. makes no representations regarding the accuracy of the translation. The reader may wish to refer to the original material for verification.
JewishGen is not responsible for inaccuracies or omissions in the original work and cannot rewrite or edit the text to correct inaccuracies and/or omissions.
Our mission is to produce a translation of the original work and we cannot verify the accuracy of statements or alter facts cited.


(Page 559)

Kvetkai

In Yiddish, Kvetky

Written by Josef Rosin

Translated by Shimon Joffe

A village in the Zarasai district, 20 km. to the east of Birzai. In the second half of the nineteenth century it had a small Jewish community, which continued into the period of Lithuanian independence. In accordance with the Lithuanian Government Law of Autonomy for the Jews, a community council was elected, consisting of 5 members. It was active for a few years and dealt with most aspects of Jewish life in the village. The Jews lived off commerce and craftwork. According to a survey conducted by the Lithuanian government in 1931 Kvetkai had a pharmacy and a general store both owned by Jews. In 1938 there were still a few Jewish artisans in Kvetkai. In 1939 there were 10 telephones in the village, one owned by a Jew, the owner of a restaurant (Moshe Ratzen). Before the Shoah only a few Jews still remained and their fate was the same as that of the others in the vicinity.


 Yizkor Book Project    JewishGen Home Page  


Yizkor Book Project Manager, Lance Ackerfeld
Emerita Yizkor Book Project Manager, Joyce Field
This web page created by Max Heffler

Copyright ©1999-2014 by JewishGen, Inc.
Updated 19 Jul 2011 by MGH