“Kuziai” - Encyclopedia of Jewish
Communities in Lithuania
(Kužiai, Lithuania)

55° 59' / 23° 8'

Translation of the “Kuziai” chapter from
Pinkas Hakehillot Lita

Written by Dov Levin

Published by Yad Vashem

Published in Jerusalem, 1996


Click here to see how to add a Memorial Plaque to this Yizkor Book
GoldPlaque SilverPlaque BronzePlaque

 

Acknowledgments

Project Coordinator

Barry Mann

 

Our sincere appreciation to Yad Vashem
for permission to put this material on the JewishGen web site.

This is a translation from: Pinkas Hakehillot Lita: Encyclopedia of Jewish Communities, Lithuania,
Editor: Prof. Dov Levin, Assistant Editor: Josef Rosin, published by Yad Vashem, Jerusalem.


This material is made available by JewishGen, Inc. and the Yizkor Book Project for the purpose of
fulfilling our mission of disseminating information about the Holocaust and destroyed Jewish communities.
This material may not be copied, sold or bartered without JewishGen, Inc.'s permission. Rights may be reserved by the copyright holder.


JewishGen, Inc. makes no representations regarding the accuracy of the translation. The reader may wish to refer to the original material for verification.
JewishGen is not responsible for inaccuracies or omissions in the original work and cannot rewrite or edit the text to correct inaccuracies and/or omissions.
Our mission is to produce a translation of the original work and we cannot verify the accuracy of statements or alter facts cited.


(Page 559)

Kuziai

In Yiddish, Kuzh, also Kuzhy

Written by Josef Rosin

Translated by Shimon Joffe

A village, 13 km. northwest to the district center, Siauliai near the road leading to Telsiai. 6 Jewish families lived there before the First World War. On April 30, 1915, the Russian front command issued an order, warning the population against the Jews who were suspect of aiding the Germans. The Russians claimed that after the village fell again into Russian hands, having been taken by the Germans previously, the Jews hid German soldiers who then attacked the house of the Russian commander. This announcement appeared in the Russian press and created a great stir among the Jews. A member of the Duma, Kerenski, came to Kuziai to investigate the matter and found that it was a fabricated charge, as when the Germans began to shell Kuziai before invading it, all the inhabitants, including the Jews, fled the town.

The forest near Kuziai became infamous as the Germans, after they invaded the area, murdered and buried there 5000 men, women and children of the Siauliai Jewry during the period June-September 1941. The local priest hid 5 Jews in his home until the liberation. His name is recorded in the Yad Vashem archives.

Bibliography:

Masines zudynes Lietuvoje (Mass Murders in Lithuania), Vol. 2, p. 405.

 Yizkor Book Project    JewishGen Home Page  


Yizkor Book Project Manager, Lance Ackerfeld
Emerita Yizkor Book Project Manager, Joyce Field
This web page created by Max Heffler

Copyright ©1999-2014 by JewishGen, Inc.
Updated 19 Jul 2011 by MGH