“Marköbel”
Encyclopaedia of Jewish Communities:
Germany volume 3
(Germany)

50°13' / 05°59'

Translation from Pinkas ha-kehilot Germanyah

Published by Yad Vashem

Published in Jerusalem, 1992


Click here to see how to add a Memorial Plaque to this Yizkor Book
GoldPlaque SilverPlaque BronzePlaque

 

Acknowledgments

Project Coordinator

 

Our sincere appreciation to Yad Vashem for permission
to put this material on the JewishGen web site.

This is a translation from: Pinkas Hakehillot: Encyclopaedia of Jewish Communities, Germany
Volume 3, pages 504, published by Yad Vashem, Jerusalem, 1992


This material is made available by JewishGen, Inc. and the Yizkor Book Project for the purpose of
fulfilling our mission of disseminating information about the Holocaust and destroyed Jewish communities.
This material may not be copied, sold or bartered without JewishGen, Inc.'s permission. Rights may be reserved by the copyright holder.


JewishGen, Inc. makes no representations regarding the accuracy of the translation. The reader may wish to refer to the original material for verification.
JewishGen is not responsible for inaccuracies or omissions in the original work and cannot rewrite or edit the text to correct inaccuracies and/or omissions.
Our mission is to produce a translation of the original work and we cannot verify the accuracy of statements or alter facts cited.


[Page 504]

Marköbel, Germany
(a town, today a section of the town of Hammersbach in the region of Main-Kinzig)

Translated by Jerrold Landau

Year Population Jewish Population Percentage
1835   79  
1861 1,113 73 6.6
1871 1,127 88 7.8
1885 1,162 91 7.8
1895 1,224 56 4.5
1905 1,233 70 5.7
1925 1,374 66 4.8
1933 1,476 46 3.1
1939 1,353 --  

Religious Affiliation by Percentage in the year 1925

JewsCatholicsProtestantsOthers
4.83.2902.0

History of the Community

In 1588, two protected Jews lived in Marköbel. They lent money for interest, and many of the residents of the town owed them money. In 1632, there were four Jewish families in Marköbel and in the middle of the 18th century there were 33 individuals in Marköbel and Hirzbach. Between the years of 1835-1837, violent acts were perpetrated aganst the Jews. The community opened a cemetery in 1835.

On the eve of the accession of the Nazis to government, 16 Jewish families from Marköbel earned ther livelihoods from the cattle trade as well as the textile and food trades. A few were butchers. The community had a synagogue (with 38 seats for men and 18 for women), and a small cemetery (463 square meters). Kosher slaughter was performed. Three children studied religious studies. The community belonged to the regional rabbinate of Hanau, and was headed by Louis Lichtenstein.

The Jews left Marköbel after the Nazis rose to power. Half left before Kristallnacht (November 10, 1938) and the rest left by May 1939. Eleven of them emigrated from Germany (six to the United States, four to the Land of Israel and one to South Africa). The synagogue was damaged on Kristallnacht and was later destroyed. The Jewish cemetery was desecrated in 1938 and in 1945. Today, the town of Hammersbach tends to it.


 Yizkor Book Project    JewishGen Home Page  


Yizkor Book Project Manager, Lance Ackerfeld
Emerita Yizkor Book Project Manager, Joyce Field
Contact person for this translation
This web page created by Lance Ackerfeld

Copyright ©1999-2014 by JewishGen, Inc.
Updated 2 Apr 2008 by LA