5 Old Montague Street, Whitechapel, London E1
(Location: Old Montague
Street (about one-third of a mile long), in London's East End, is the eastern continuation of Wentworth
Street, extending east from Brick Lane and Osborn Street to Vallance Road (the
southern section of whish was previously
known as Baker's Row), running parallel to Whitechapel Road, some 300 feet to the
Old Montague Street is now in
the London Borough of Tower Hamlets,
created on 1 April 1965, within the administrative area of Greater London.
Old Montague Street was in the Metropolitan Borough of
Stepney (established 1900) within the County of London (established
1889), both of which entities were abolished in 1965.
The western section of Old Montague Street (which included the
synagogue) was in the civil parish of Whitechapel,
the central section formed the boundary between the civil parish of
Whitechapel and the civil parish of Mile End New Town and the eastern
section was in the civil parish of Mile End New Town. Both civil parishes were
in the former County of Middlesex until 1889 and each formed a
constituent part of the Whitechapel District from 1856 to 1900
The civil parish of
Mile End New Town was abolished in 1921, being absorbed
into the civil parish of Whitechapel, which itself was abolished in 1927
to be absorbed into Stepney Borough parish (until that parish's
abolition in 1965).