“Brańszczyk” - Encyclopedia of Jewish
Communities in Polin, Volume IV
(Poland)

52°38' / 21°36'

Translation of “Brańszczyk” chapter from
Pinkas Hakehillot Polin

Published by Yad Vashem

Published in Jerusalem


Click here to see how to add a Memorial Plaque to this Yizkor Book
GoldPlaque SilverPlaque BronzePlaque

Acknowledgments

Project Coordinator

Ada Holtzman

 

Our sincere appreciation to Yad Vashem
for permission to put this material on the JewishGen web site.

This is a translation from: Pinkas Hakehillot Polin:
Encyclopedia of Jewish Communities, Poland, Volume IV, page 450, published by Yad Vashem, Jerusalem


This material is made available by JewishGen, Inc. and the Yizkor Book Project for the purpose of
fulfilling our mission of disseminating information about the Holocaust and destroyed Jewish communities.
This material may not be copied, sold or bartered without JewishGen, Inc.'s permission. Rights may be reserved by the copyright holder.


JewishGen, Inc. makes no representations regarding the accuracy of the translation. The reader may wish to refer to the original material for verification.
JewishGen is not responsible for inaccuracies or omissions in the original work and cannot rewrite or edit the text to correct inaccuracies and/or omissions.
Our mission is to produce a translation of the original work and we cannot verify the accuracy of statements or alter facts cited.


{page 450}

Brańszczyk

(Ostrow Mazowiecka District, Bialystok Province)

Translated by Meir Garbarz Gover

Brańszczyk is situated on the right bank of the river Bug, about 10 km east of Wyszkow. Documents of the 1400's mention it as a privately owned village. In the 1800's the village was adjacent to the nearby estate. The 1921 census showed 731 residents in Brańszczyk, out of those 140 Jews.

On October 1939 the occupying German Wermact ordered the eviction of all Branszczyk Jews to Wyszkow and to the east. Brańszczyk Jews were exterminated together with the Jews in Eastern Poland.

The forests nearby Brańszczyk were used as hiding place for Partisan units. Jews served on those Units. Some of them were caught by the Germans and local Polish Police and were executed.

On January 1943 the Germans caught and murdered, near Brańszczyk, In the Forester Station in Bielawy 15 Jews and 5 Soviet soldiers.

Jewish Partisans of the Mordechaj Anilewicz Partisan Unit were operating in this Wyszkow area. The last of them were murdered by Armija Krajowa Polish nationals in a battle held in the Wyszkow forest on April 1944. In this battle they murdered Ignaci Podolski, commander of one of the three squads of the Anilewicz Unit.


 Yizkor Book Project    JewishGen Home Page  


Yizkor Book Project Manager, Lance Ackerfeld
Emerita Yizkor Book Project Manager, Joyce Field
Contact person for this translation Ada Holtzman
This web page created by Max Heffler

Copyright ©1999-2014 by JewishGen, Inc.
Updated 13 Feb 2006 by MGH