50°46' / 9°31'
Translation from Pinkas ha-kehilot Germanyah
Published by Yad Vashem
Published in Jerusalem, 1992
Project Coordinator and Translator
Our sincere appreciation to Yad Vashem for permission
This is a translation from: Pinkas Hakehillot: Encyclopaedia of Jewish Communities, Germany
Volume 3, page 403, published by Yad Vashem, Jerusalem, 1992
JewishGen, Inc. makes no representations regarding the accuracy of
the translation. The reader may wish to refer to the original material
JewishGen is not responsible for inaccuracies or omissions in the original work and cannot rewrite or edit the text to correct inaccuracies and/or omissions.
Our mission is to produce a translation of the original work and we cannot verify the accuracy of statements or alter facts cited.
From the History of the Community
In 1744, 8 Jewish families settled in Breitenbach, and one young man was permitted to live next to his mother until his wedding. In 1776, there were five families.
In May of 1898 a Jewish elementary school was founded in Breitenbach, and in its first year 31 studied in it, some of them, apparently, from nearby settlements. The Jewish teacher also served as cantor and shochet (ritual slaughterer). At the turn of the 20th century, the community finally opened a cemetery (first burial in 1911).
A Jewish resident of Breitenbach died in the First World War.
On the eve of the Nazi ascent to power, there were under the community's authority a prayer-hall, a cemetery and a school. In it eight students learned under the teacher Berthold Katz from Berghaun (see entry). The head of the community was Solly Wertheim, and Solly Stern served as cantor and shochet. The community belonged to the rabbinical district of Marburg.
In the November 6, 1932 elections to the Reichstag, the Nazis received 48.5% of the residents' votes (41.2% in all of Hesse-Nassau).
In May 1933, a portion of land belonging to a local Jewish woman was sold to a worker. The owner of the property complained about the agreement in the district court in Marburg. The response was that The law for restoration of German agriculture did not apply to non-Aryan controlled property.
In 1935, the cemetery was desecrated. Most of the Jews left the village up to 1940. A few emigrated, but the majority went to other places in Germany. The teacher Stern went to the Jewish school in Abterode (see entry) in 1938. The seven last Jews were sent in 1940 to Frankfort. (Apparently these were elderly people who lived with their families.)
Today the Jewish cemetery (754 square meters) is under the village's authority.
Yizkor Book Project JewishGen Home Page
Copyright ©1999-2014 by JewishGen, Inc.
Updated 4 Jan 2007 by LA