“Kopcheve” - Lithuanian Jewry
(Kapciamiestis, Lithuania)

50°00' / 23°39'

Translation of “Kopcheve” chapter from Yahadut Lita
(Lithuanian Jewry), Vol. 3

Published by The Association of The Lithuanian Jews in Israel

Published in Tel Aviv, 1967 (Vol. 3) and 1984 (Vol. 4)


Click here to see how to add a Memorial Plaque to this Yizkor Book
GoldPlaque SilverPlaque BronzePlaque

 

Acknowledgments

Project Coordinator and Translator

Carol Hoffman

 

Our sincere appreciation to Joseph Melamed, Advocat, for permission
to put this material on the JewishGen web site.

This is a translation from: Yahadut Lita: (Lithuanian Jewry), Vol. 3
Town: Kapciamiestis (Kopcheve), Seiny District, p. 344 (Vol. 3)


This material is made available by JewishGen, Inc. and the Yizkor Book Project for the purpose of
fulfilling our mission of disseminating information about the Holocaust and destroyed Jewish communities.
This material may not be copied, sold or bartered without JewishGen, Inc.'s permission. Rights may be reserved by the copyright holder.


JewishGen, Inc. makes no representations regarding the accuracy of the translation. The reader may wish to refer to the original material for verification.
JewishGen is not responsible for inaccuracies or omissions in the original work and cannot rewrite or edit the text to correct inaccuracies and/or omissions.
Our mission is to produce a translation of the original work and we cannot verify the accuracy of statements or alter facts cited.


[Page 344 - Volume 3]

Kopcheve

Kopcheve is situated in the heart of forests, between the two rivers, the Ancia, white and black, close to the Neiman and large lakes, on the road which crosses Lithuanian on its southern border. Distances to Vesai are 12 kilometers, Lipin 18 kilometers, Serejai 36 kilometers, Lazdai 40 kilometers. The closest train station is in Braksenai.

In independent Lithuania there were about 50 Jewish families whose livelihood was based mainly on workshops and commerce. Three families made their living from agriculture, but almost all of the families had vegetable gardens and fruit trees for their personal consumption. Amongst the villagers were some large commercial businessmen who specialized in forestry. There were 2 flourmills and 2 metal factories owned by Jews. Towards the end of the 19th century there was a large iron factory for reaping machines, railroad ties, nails and other iron products.

The village was famous for its educated students in Cheder, where they studied everything except Gemora and the Hebrew language. In independent Lithuania there was a Hebrew grammar school and next to it a library with an active drama circle. Youth were organized in Zionist groups, predominantly “HaHalutz” [The Pioneer].

Rabbis: Rabbi Zvi Dirkator, Rabbi Abraham-Zvi Pinchas-Eliashberg, Rabbi Zvi-Aria Luria (thereafter known widely in Seijny, Suwalk & Zalodek), Rabbi Meyer Stolvitz. The last Rabbi was Rabbi Menachem-Mendel Sher.

Born in Kopcheve were the historian Elhanan (Edward) D, Kalman (1891-1939), Rabbi B.Z. Shimshlevich, later known as the famous Lithuanian forestry businessman; he was a pupil of Rabbi R. Israel Slenter, a man of high morals (Rabbi Abraham-Zvi Pinchas would relate that he would come to him and ask, “Rabbi, tell me if this ruble is kosher”.


 Yizkor Book Project    JewishGen Home Page  


Yizkor Book Project Manager, Lance Ackerfeld
Emerita Yizkor Book Project Manager, Joyce Field
Contact person for this translation Carol Hoffman
This web page created by Lance Ackerfeld

Copyright ©1999-2014 by JewishGen, Inc.
Updated 29 May 2007 by MGH