Yefim Kogan, Director of Bessarabia Research, reports on the progress of the Cemetery Projects in the Bessarabia/Moldova region:
- Kishinev Jewish Cemetery
- We have completed Sector 5 and sent 2,681 burial records with 2,441 photos to JOWBR (Jewish Online Worldwide Burial Registry). We have now a total of 5,539 burial records, with 4,977 images from three sectors (2, 4 and 5). Probably 25-30% of all graves indexed and photographed.
- Our photographers are working now on Sectors 1, 3 and 6. Although the work is hard. You can view a video clip prepared by Serghey Daniliuk, who is our main photographer in Bessarabia/Moldova. This is a clip mostly for the sectors 6 and 8. If you stop at 1:21, you will see an old, partially destroyed chapel. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QeW3wi6gHc
- From the map in the Burial Registry book, it is written, for example, that Sector 6 has a total of 3,137 graves, and from that number 1,431 are not identified!
- Vadu-lui-vlad (Dombrovitsa) Cemetery
- The cemetery is almost destroyed and we were able to read only several inscriptions. We may go to that cemetery one more time, because part of it was not accessible. The records and images are going to be sent to JOWBR by the end of this month.
- Lipkany Jewish Cemetery (Phase 2)
- This was a clearing paths project, and a lot of clearing was done. Another 1,000+ images are in process and will be sent to JOWBR in one to two months.
- Beltsy Jewish Cemetery
- Another phase was done, and we received 500+ images. We hope to process them by the end of this year.
- Brazil, São Paulo, Cemitério Israelita da Vila Mariana
- We have 500+ records (no photos) from a cemetery registry for people from mostly Bessarabia and some also from Kamenets Podolsky, Mogolev-Podolsky, Chernovitz, and Yampol. Unfortunately, there are no dates of death in that book, and I am trying to find out if there are records, and possibly images, of these graves. If you live in São Paulo, Brazil, or know someone who is from that city who can help us, please let us know.
- Ataki (Phase 2)
- Will be done in Spring of 2020.
Please let us know if you have any questions, ideas, or proposals, or if you know of a cemetery that is not on our Inventory list: https://www.jewishgen.org/bessarabia/files/cemetery/Inventory201909-September.htm