Southern Africa Jewish Genealogy SA-SIG
The National Archives of South Africa
NAAIRS: National Automated Archival Information Retrieval System
NARS: National Archives and Records Service
NASA: National Archives of South Africa
Editor: Dr Saul Issroff
Copyright © 2001-2007 Saul Issroff, Mike Getz, SAfrica SIG
and Jewishgen Inc.
Revised: 23 February 2007
Archive documents, actually detailed pointers to where a physical document may be located, may be printed by your computer but it is likely that not all the information which appears on the screen will end up on paper. In September 2002 I printed a number of records from the Cape Town Archive and found that long lines of text, especially the Description, did not wrap around to the next line. The lines extended off the right-hand edge of my computer screen and were thus hidden from the printer. Your chosen record when printed is also likely to be incomplete. Setting your printer to print in landscape format might prevent loss of text. Many web-site designers do not allow for the printing of their pages. R.H.
An extensive range of resources may be found at
- Alan Paton Centre http://www.library.unp.ac.za/paton/index.htm
- ANC Archives, Fort Hare University http://www.ufh.ac.za/collections/anc.htm
- ANC Historical Documents http://www.anc.org.za/ancdocs/history/
- Archives for Contemporary Affairs, University of OFS
- The Brenthurst Library http://www.brenthurst.org.za/library.htm
- Church of the Province of Southern Africa http://www.cpsa.org.za/
- Cory Library for Historical Research, Rhodes University http://www.ru.ac.za/library/cory/
- Digital Imaging Project of SA (DISA) http://http://disa.nu.ac.za/
- District Six Museum http://www.districtsix.co.za/
- Dutch Reform Church Archives of South Africa http://http://www.nhk.co.za/
- Eskom Heritage, history of electricity in SA http://www.eskom.co.za
- Gay and Lesbian Archives (GALA) http://www.wits.ac.za/gala/
- Historical Papers, Wits University
- Institute for Contemporary History,
see Archives for Contemporary Affairs
- Killie Campbell Africana Library, University of Natal http://http://khozi2.nu.ac.za/kcafricana.htm
- Library of Parliament http://www.parliament.gov.za/
- Mail & Guardian Archive, search pages back to 1994
- Mandela Page
- Mbeki Page
- Mayibuye Centre for History and Culture in SA
- MuseuMAfrica http://http://www.joburg.org.za/aug_2002/museumafrica.stm
- National English Literary Museum, NELM http://http://www.ru.ac.za/affiliates/nelm/nelmhome.html
- Nederduitsch Hervormede Kerk, see Dutch Reform Church
- Picturenet http://http://picturenet.co.za/
South Africa's first and only searchable Internet online database of
photographs. The archive primarily contains pictures from South Africa,
but there is also a selection of images from other parts of the world.
You will find pictures relating to news, sport, personalities, generic,
- Robben Island Museum http://http://www.robben-island.org.za/
- SABC Sound Archives http://http://www.national.archives.gov.za/dir_entries_pg7.htm
- South African Government Information
- South African History Archive (SAHA) http://http://www.wits.ac.za/saha/
- South African Jewish Board of Deputies [not active]
- South African Library http://http://www.nlsa.ac.za/
- Steve Biko Memorial Truth and Reconciliation Commission, TRC
- UNISA Library Archives http://http://www.unisa.ac.za/~~
- Witwatersrand University Archives http://http://www.wits.ac.za/cro/history.htm
About the National Archives of South Africa
The following topics form a single document which is located at
where they are all live links.
- What is the National Archives?
- What records does the National Archives keep?
- Access to and use of archives
- Structure of the National Archives
- Mission of the National Archives
- Corporate documents
- Public Programming
- National Film, Video and Sound Archives
- The Bureau of Heraldry
- National Oral History Programme
National Automated Archival Information Retrieval System - NAAIRS
NAAIRS - Databases
|Data of the South African Genealogical Society on Gravestones
|Data of the Bureau of Heraldry on registered heraldic representations
|Cape Town Archives Repository
|National Registers of Manuscripts(NAREM) and Photographs (NAREF)
also National Archives' cartographic and library material, microfilms and copies.
|Pietermaritzburg Archives Repository
|National Register of Audio-Visual Material (NAROM)
|National Register of Oral Sources (NAROS)
|All Archives Repositories and National Registers of non-public records
|National Archives Repository (Public Records of Central Government since 1910)
|National Archives Repository (Public Records of former Transvaal Province and its predecessors as well as of magistrates and local authorities)
|Durban Archives Repository
|Port Elizabeth Archives Repository
|Cape Town Records Centre
|Free State Archives Repository
Types of archives
|manuskrip (manuscript), private versameling (private collection). These terms are synonymous and all refer to papers of private individuals or institutions in the custody of repositories participating in the National Register of Manuscripts (NAREM).
|Official Publications. N.B. This term appears in the information category SOURCE.
|archives other than correspondence files, e.g. minute books, financial records and registers); see Leer, below
|Motion pictures in the custody of repositories that participate in the National Register of Audio-Visual Material.
|These terms refer to photographs in the custody of institutions participating in the National Register of Photographs (NAREF).
|These terms refer to cartographic material in the custody of national and provincial archives repositories.
|Klankkasset (audio cassette)
|Audio cassettes in the custody of repositories that participate in the National Register of Audio-Visual Material.
|Kompakskyf (compact disk)
|Compact disks in the custody of repositories that participate in the National Register of Audio-Visual Material.
|correspondence file; see Ander Argiewe, above.
|These terms refer to micrographic material in the custody of national and provincial archives repositories.
|These terms refer to library material in the custody of national and provincial archives repositories.
|Plaat (gramophone record)
|Gramophone records in the custody of repositories that participate in the National Register of Audio-Visual Material.
|Videos in the custody of repositories that participate in the National Register of Audio-Visual Material.