Nikolayevshchina before 1917


XVI century

- Nikolayevshchina was a possession Radzivill magnate family.

XVII century

- Jewish population appeared.

Since 1793

- in Russian Empire.

Since 1801

- a shtetle in Minsk District of Minsk Province.


- old Roman Catholic church, founded by Radzivills, was resanctified into Orthodoxy.

Vital Statistics


Number of Jews

Number of Non-Jews


Specific gravity in total population number

Late XVI century

Jewish population appeared


about 750

Total population

No info



Total population

No info

Jewish Life

By 1900 there were praying houses in Nikolayevshchina.

Economical Review.

Traditional activities of local Jewish population were trade with timber, grain, and vodka. Since early time Neman and Turchanka rivers were main roads for Nikolayevshchina habitants.

Since Rech Pospolitaya principality on there were a ford through Neman and a raft station in Nikolayevshchina (the latter was used for wood transportation downstream and during annual Neman flood).

During Russian principality, vodka trade was under state hard control and became less popular among Jewish businessmen. But Russian authorities did a lot to develop the region because of military and fiscal reasons mostly. First of all, old communications were reconstructed there:

trade road Sverzhen - Moghilno;

old raft station.

In XIX, because of development of the AllRussian Market, new types of communications appeared in the region.

Since 1871 the closest railway station, telegraph station and post office were in Stolbtsy (9 km).

Especially rapid growth of Nikolayevshchina occurred after Russia signed a trade treaty with Germany in 1893, and the Moscow - Warsaw railroad became very important communication.

In 1883 in Nikolayevshchina there were about 100 wooden houses, in 1905 — 168 ones.

General cultural information.

In the late XIX - early XX century in Nikolayevshchina there were:

- an Orthodox church (former Roman Catholic one).

The closest doctor was in Nesvizh (28 km) and a synagogue was in Stolbtsy (9 km).


Copyright 1997-1998 Oleg Perzashkevich and Igor Avdeyev