“Perloja” - Encyclopedia of Jewish
Communities in Lithuania
(Lithuania)

54° 13' / 24° 25'

Translation of the “Perloja” chapter from
Pinkas Hakehillot Lita

Written by Josef Rosin

Published by Yad Vashem

Published in Jerusalem, 1996


Click here to see how to add a Memorial Plaque to this Yizkor Book
GoldPlaque SilverPlaque BronzePlaque

 

Acknowledgments

Project Coordinator

Barry Mann

 

Our sincere appreciation to Yad Vashem
for permission to put this material on the JewishGen web site.

This is a translation from: Pinkas Hakehillot Lita: Encyclopedia of Jewish Communities, Lithuania,
Editor: Prof. Dov Levin, Assistant Editor: Josef Rosin, published by Yad Vashem, Jerusalem.


This material is made available by JewishGen, Inc. and the Yizkor Book Project for the purpose of
fulfilling our mission of disseminating information about the Holocaust and destroyed Jewish communities.
This material may not be copied, sold or bartered without JewishGen, Inc.'s permission. Rights may be reserved by the copyright holder.


JewishGen, Inc. makes no representations regarding the accuracy of the translation. The reader may wish to refer to the original material for verification.
JewishGen is not responsible for inaccuracies or omissions in the original work and cannot rewrite or edit the text to correct inaccuracies and/or omissions.
Our mission is to produce a translation of the original work and we cannot verify the accuracy of statements or alter facts cited.


(Page 502)

Perloja

Written by Dov Levin

Translated by Shaul Yannai

In Yiddish, Perloy

A small town on the right bank of the Merkys River in the Alytus district in southern Lithuania, 10 km southeast of Varena. Perloja is mentioned in historical documents dating from the 15th century. In 1792, it received the Magdeburg Rights. The town's population grew very much during the 19th century: from 18 families in 1839 to 1,396 in 1897. A few dozen Jewish families lived in Perloja until WWI and they had a big and magnificent synagogue. Jews left the town during the war. Only 6 Jewish families came back to Perloja during the period of Independent Lithuania. They made their living mostly from fishing and agriculture. In 1931, Jews owned a wool carder factory in the town.

The synagogue stood empty and deserted because the town's Jews were unable to maintain it. The small children studied with a local Melamd (teacher) and the older children studied in nearby towns. Perloja is mentioned in the 1938 list of Jewish artisans of Lithuania.

If any Jews remained in Perloja when Germany occupied Lithuania, then their fate was the same as the fate of their Jewish brethren in the surrounding areas: all of them were murdered by armed Lithuanians during the autumn of 1941.


 Yizkor Book Project    JewishGen Home Page  


Yizkor Book Project Manager, Lance Ackerfeld
Emerita Yizkor Book Project Manager, Joyce Field
This web page created by Max Heffler

Copyright ©1999-2014 by JewishGen, Inc.
Updated 22 Oct 2011 by MGH