“Traupis” - Encyclopedia of Jewish
Communities in Lithuania
(Lithuania)

55° 31' / 24° 45'

Translation of the “Traupis” chapter from
Pinkas Hakehillot Lita

Written by Josef Rosin

Published by Yad Vashem

Published in Jerusalem, 1996


Click here to see how to add a Memorial Plaque to this Yizkor Book
GoldPlaque SilverPlaque BronzePlaque

 

Acknowledgments

Project Coordinator

Barry Mann

 

Our sincere appreciation to Yad Vashem
for permission to put this material on the JewishGen web site.

This is a translation from: Pinkas Hakehillot Lita: Encyclopedia of Jewish Communities, Lithuania,
Editor: Prof. Dov Levin, Assistant Editor: Josef Rosin, published by Yad Vashem, Jerusalem.


This material is made available by JewishGen, Inc. and the Yizkor Book Project for the purpose of
fulfilling our mission of disseminating information about the Holocaust and destroyed Jewish communities.
This material may not be copied, sold or bartered without JewishGen, Inc.'s permission. Rights may be reserved by the copyright holder.


JewishGen, Inc. makes no representations regarding the accuracy of the translation. The reader may wish to refer to the original material for verification.
JewishGen is not responsible for inaccuracies or omissions in the original work and cannot rewrite or edit the text to correct inaccuracies and/or omissions.
Our mission is to produce a translation of the original work and we cannot verify the accuracy of statements or alter facts cited.


(Page 314)

Traupis

In Yiddish, Treip

Written by Dov Levin

Translated by Shaul Yannai

A large rural settlement in the Raguva county in eastern Lithuania, in the district of Ukmerge. The river Traupe flows near the settlement. The 1923 Lithuanian government census counted in Traupis 62 Jews or 10 families (out of about 300 residents). The department of community affairs within the Ministry of Jewish affairs in Kaunas decided on July 13, 1920, to unite the Jewish community of Traupis with the Jewish community of the nearby town of Taujenai. The representative of Traupis in the unified council was Moshe Assas.

One of the natives of Traupis was the psychologist Shemuel-James Melzer. Traupis had a large and beautiful prayer house, which was managed by a Shamash only. That was likely the source of the nickname, “Treiper Shamash”, which was common among the settlement's Jews. The Jews of Traupis left the settlement within a few years and no Jews remained there at the outbreak of WWII.

Bibliography:

YIVO - Lithuanian Communities' Collection: files 456-458.

 Yizkor Book Project    JewishGen Home Page  


Yizkor Book Project Manager, Lance Ackerfeld
Emerita Yizkor Book Project Manager, Joyce Field
This web page created by Jason Hallgarten

Copyright ©1999-2014 by JewishGen, Inc.
Updated 08 Nov 2011 by JH