“Azuolu Buda” - Encyclopedia of Jewish
Communities in Lithuania
(Ąžuolų Būda, Lithuania)

54° 42' / 23° 31'

Translation of the “Azuolu Buda” chapter from
Pinkas Hakehillot Lita

Written by Josef Rosin

Published by Yad Vashem

Published in Jerusalem, 1996


Click here to see how to add a Memorial Plaque to this Yizkor Book
GoldPlaque SilverPlaque BronzePlaque

 

Acknowledgments

Project Coordinator

Barry Mann

 

Our sincere appreciation to Yad Vashem
for permission to put this material on the JewishGen web site.

This is a translation from: Pinkas Hakehillot Lita: Encyclopedia of Jewish Communities, Lithuania,
Editor: Prof. Dov Levin, Assistant Editor: Josef Rosin, published by Yad Vashem, Jerusalem.


This material is made available by JewishGen, Inc. and the Yizkor Book Project for the purpose of
fulfilling our mission of disseminating information about the Holocaust and destroyed Jewish communities.
This material may not be copied, sold or bartered without JewishGen, Inc.'s permission. Rights may be reserved by the copyright holder.


JewishGen, Inc. makes no representations regarding the accuracy of the translation. The reader may wish to refer to the original material for verification.
JewishGen is not responsible for inaccuracies or omissions in the original work and cannot rewrite or edit the text to correct inaccuracies and/or omissions.
Our mission is to produce a translation of the original work and we cannot verify the accuracy of statements or alter facts cited.


(Page 166)

Azuolu Buda

In Yiddish, Dembove Bude, Boid

Written by Josef Rosin

Translated by Shaul Yannai

A county town in the Marijampole district. Boid is located in southwestern Lithuania, near the Kaunas-Marijampole road, about 18 km northeast of Marijampole, the district's city. From 1795, the town and the entire region were part of Prussia. From 1815, the town was in the zone of Russia and eventually it belonged to the Suvalk region.

In 1899 a Zionist association by the name of “Mokirei Zion” (Cherishers of Zion) was founded in the town, and it is mentioned in the list of donors for settling Eretz-Yisrael.

About 15 Jewish families lived in Boid before WWI. The town's synagogue burned down during WWI, during the period when the Jews left the town. Most of them returned to their town after the war. During the period of Independent Lithuania (1918-1940) the size of the Jewish population did not vary in the town. Some of them made their living from small commerce and peddling and during the summers also from providing services to the vacationers who came for a vacation in the pine forests near the town. According to the 1931 Lithuanian government census, the town had a bakery that was owned by Jews. One of the Jews in the town (Ozer Zelinger) was a merchant who dealt in forest trade and some other Jews owned properties. Amongst the latter was Rabbi Sender Yelin who was also a scholar. On Saturdays and holidays the Jews of the town used to pray in his house. The local “shochet ubodek (ritual slaughterer) was Rabbi Avraham-Eliyahu Schteinfeld. The “shochet ubodek” addressed questions in matters of religion because the town did not have a Rabbi.

In 1939 the town had 6 telephones. 2 of them belonged to Jews.

The children studied in a “Heder”. Their “Melamed” (teacher) was hired from Kaunas. Some of the youth studied in the Hebrew Gymnasias in Marijampole and Kaunas.

The lives of the Jews of Azuolu Buda came to an end in July of 1941, about a month after the Germans conquered Lithuania. Their place of burial remains unknown. It is likely that they were transferred to Prienai or to Marijampole where their fate was the same as the fate of the other Jews in the area.

Bibliography:

Gotlieb, Sefer Oheli Hashem, Pinsk, 1912, p. 21.

 Yizkor Book Project    JewishGen Home Page  


Yizkor Book Project Manager, Lance Ackerfeld
Emerita Yizkor Book Project Manager, Joyce Field
This web page created by Max Heffler

Copyright ©1999-2014 by JewishGen, Inc.
Updated 21 May 2010 by LA